Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why must the Stargate be made of naquada if the DHD is the power source?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why must the Stargate be made of naquada if the DHD is the power source?

Am I wrong to think that naquada produces energy? cause the gouald use naquadah to power their tech... Didn't Orlin made a mini-stargate in carter's basement without using naquada?

Originally posted by tauriprivatesoldier
    Am I wrong to think that naquada produces energy? cause the gouald use naquadah to power their tech... Didn't Orlin made a mini-stargate in carter's basement without using naquada?
    Im not sure, but I would have thought that had something to do with the fact he was an Ancient, who yes did build the gate system, but he also could only use it once and it was very unstable at that. The naquadah creates a stable wormhole for indefinate amounts of times to planets across the galaxy and they have also be used for thousands, millions of years

Comment

When you run electricity though naquadah, it increases the power by an order of magnitude. Naquadah is basically a power amplifier.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Naquadah is a very good superconductor which means it can transfer energy with close to 100% efficiency. That way there isn't much waste energy(heat). My guess is that the gate stores energy untill it has enough to create a wormhole and without a superconducting material the gate would require much more power.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
          Naquadah is a very good superconductor which means it can transfer energy with close to 100% efficiency. That way there isn't much waste energy(heat). My guess is that the gate stores energy untill it has enough to create a wormhole and without a superconducting material the gate would require much more power.
          By Thor i think you've got it. sam's always saying the gate is essentially a giant superconductor. They're always referring to Naquadah used in bombs and reactors as weapons grade. there are probably lesser grades they use to make superconductors, armor etc..
          Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
            When you run electricity though naquadah, it increases the power by an order of magnitude. Naquadah is basically a power amplifier.
            Since when?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
              Since when?
              SInce always, this is one of the basic properties of Naquada and was first explored in the movie. Ra was planning on sending the nuke back through the gate with a shipment of naquada to enhance the power of the explosion. We saw a really good demonstartion of this in "Chain Reaction" when the prescence of naquada was enough to enhance a nuclear explosion to the point of starting a reaction that embroiled an entire planet. The naquada enhanced weapons they use have an increased yeild because of the naquada. There are many other examples out there as well.

Comment

My laptop is made of plastic (a highly flammable substance) but its the battery that powers it.

Depleted Uranium bullets and shells are made of uranium but its gunpowder that propels them.

An old style windmill is made of wood (an excellent medieval fuel) but its the wind that powers it.

All of these things are made of fuel-like substances but its not the fuel property that makes them useful, its another property.

Plastic because it is pretty strong and light and easy to manufacture compared to an all-steel laptop.

Uranium because it is very dense and when you're hitting a tank you want something really dense to smash it with.

Wood because wood is light and cheap (in the medieval era) compared to steel.

The stargate may be made of naquadah simply because in addition to being a great fuel, it also has other exotic properties... say opening wormholes... that make it useful for that purpose.

Sure Orlin made a stargate from a toaster, but such a stargate may not be as useful as a naquadah stargate. Just as my laptop could be made of steel, but i would much rather have the lighter plastic laptop than a steel one.

Comment

Wow, what did all that mean? Not sure what you're trying to say there, Alexein, but I totally agree 100%.
                  sigpic
                  "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

whoops my mistake.

I was trying to answer the original question: "Why must the Stargate be made of naquada if the DHD is the power source?"

Sorry if I sounded mean or arrogant, totally was not my intention.

Comment

Since when?

Basic thing about naquida. I think a more 'scientifis' explanation is that Naquida holds a tremendous amount of potential energy. It can react with many forms of energy, such as an explosion, or electrical energy. The more energy put into it, the more of its potential energy is released. So, put a nuke next to it, get a REALLY big increase, put a firecracker next to it, get a small increase.
                      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

The naquadah does not amplify the power, nor does it add its own to the stargate. It can apparently be used in conjunction with explosives, however. Which is what people are referring to. A stargate is made of naquadah because it is a superconductor. All that means is that it can conduct electicity with a very small amount of loss. Certainly a good material to use if you are trying to build a stargate. Orlin's gate was most likely inefficient and I believe was built to only last 1 use anyways.

Comment

That does give me a question, how does the DHD store power and where does it get it.

Comment

Originally posted by aries_rules
                            That does give me a question, how does the DHD store power and where does it get it.
                            They've never actually gone into it in depth. It has a power source in there somewhere and it is finite but other than that we don't know anything about them.

Comment

Originally posted by aries_rules
                              I think that the gate and DHD accumulate energy from their enviroment. Like the sunlight and geothermal heat and the like. I'm not sure where the DHD stores it's energy, but I would guess that its in a big crystal inside it.
                              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                              The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                              A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                              That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                              Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                              Caboose: They could be worse?
                              Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                              X