PDA

View Full Version : Michael Shanks to only be in 16 episodes for season 10

lilslim142000
February 2nd, 2006, 04:22 AM
01.Feb.06Shanks to Appear in 16 S10 EpisodesPosted in News at 8:58 pm by michelle

MichaelShanks-Online’s new interview with Michael Shanks reveals he is contracted for 16 of the 20 episodes to be filmed in SG-1 Season 10. He is taking two episodes off to attend to the birth of his third child, his second with wife Lexa Doig, who is due in March. He’ll take two more weeks off over the summer to be with his family.

[mod snip -- full article at http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=466 ]

Read the entire interview here: Michael Shanks interview (http://www.michaelshanks-online.com/archives/msol/msfeet.shtml)

Also note that Amanda Tapping will not be in all season 10 episodes of SG-1. Amanda said in an interview that dhe will appear in an handful of episodes during the backhalf of season 3 of Atlantis.

prion
February 2nd, 2006, 04:44 AM
Though we’ll miss seeing him in those episodes, Solutions wishes Michael and Lexa the best of luck with their new arrival!

Read the entire interview here: Michael Shanks interview

Also note that Amanda Tapping will not be in all season 10 episodes of SG-1. Amanda said in an interview that dhe will appear in an handful of episodes during the backhalf of season 3 of Atlantis.

The link is at

http://www.michaelshanks-online.com/archives/msol/msfeet.shtml

:)

The Engineer
February 2nd, 2006, 05:21 AM
The last time when TPTB had to work the stories around Michael Shanks it work beautiful. I think this time won't be different.:daniel:

And thanks for the link, prion.

AscendedWarrior
February 2nd, 2006, 08:23 AM
Yeah hopfully they will fix it so we don't even notice them being gone.

FallenAngelII
February 2nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
They can hardly work around Lexa's pregnancy. What, they're not gonna show her belly, at all? CGI her belly out? Show her only from behind? >_>'

Dani347
February 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Yeah hopfully they will fix it so we don't even notice them being gone.

Well, some of you might not notice. I'm positive I will.

Serebii
February 2nd, 2006, 09:12 AM
In a way, I didnt noytice Sam's disappearence in the first few eps of Season 9

Guess this isn't really a bad thing, Teal'c And Sam were missing in one ep in Season 8 afterall in Atlantis, Beckett is missing in several episodes and Ronan & Teyla have missed a couple too

prion
February 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
The last time when TPTB had to work the stories around Michael Shanks it work beautiful. I think this time won't be different.:daniel:

No problem. Big thanks to the folks who did the interview :)

shockwave
February 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
They can hardly work around Lexa's pregnancy. What, they're not gonna show her belly, at all? CGI her belly out? Show her only from behind? >_>'
my guess is they will use a few guest doctors, like in season 8

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2006, 10:17 AM
as long as she doesn't suffer from vala's super baby syndrome things should be fine.

Forestia
February 2nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
We've had to deal with characters being gone before, we'll deal with it again. I, for one, will notice. I always do. I am interested to see how TPTB handle the sitch though, what story they come up with. Of course, knowing the past eps, it will probably be something simple and easily accepted as something that would take up a person's time. But, if it's "controversial", who knows?

totally O/T - I'm watching MacGyver right now. Yay! :jack_new_anime07:

Lida
February 2nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Just a wild guess, but I think Season 10 will be the last for SG1.....methinks the "old stars" have grown weary of the show, the recent poor writing, the loss of many regulars (Gen. Hammond, Janet Frasier, etc) and now wish to go one and try diffferent things.

If that is the case, my best wishes for success goes to all of them. This season has not be exactly "stellar".:(

FallenAngelII
February 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Lam could get kidnapped off world or something and returned later. That or she gets injured and is on leave.

I hope the "controversal" storyline has Jack/Daniel slashy hints :D.

creed462
February 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
It will be Ok and I under stand why Mr Shank would want a vaction with his family.

Seshat
February 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
lilslim142000 & prion: Thanks for the news and the link...great stuff. :)

I'm sure with the show's past history of working with/around the actors' schedules they will have no problem in dealing with this. :) They are old hands at it by now.

And babies are the best news. :D A new baby at Con time!! And MS will be a very happy camper, I'm sure. :D

immhotep
February 2nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
theyll be 1 of two options explaining his absence,
he dies aka ascends
or he goe to atlantis.
first most likely because he would have to film eisode anyway, dieing in the current plot seems the most likely. i hope they make him ascend naturally using the DNA machine, so the ancients cant stop him, and from there he starts his own mini campaign up there on our behalf.
as to lam, she could be involved in an asgard plot, they ask her to help them with the cloning problem, and hense she goes way for a bit, replaced by some temp or an asgard medical officer ( oh how cool would that be!)

SGFerrit
February 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
Just a wild guess, but I think Season 10 will be the last for SG1.....methinks the "old stars" have grown weary of the show, the recent poor writing, the loss of many regulars (Gen. Hammond, Janet Frasier, etc) and now wish to go one and try diffferent things.

If that is the case, my best wishes for success goes to all of them. This season has not be exactly "stellar".:(

I disagree, the ratings this season have been good and the majority seem to have enjoyed the changes. I think the new storylines could allow for a few more seasons, and anyway I doubt sci fi would risk loosing its first flagship program, not when it has good ratings, or when news just arrived of a huge online game based on it. Plus, next season they are supposed to be doing alot more stand alone episodes, so we should be seeing some old + new storylines either revived or started. I would personaly like to see the aschen, foothold aliens, furlings, and Daniels grandfather and the crystal skull stuff revisited. And alot of new stuff, of course;)

the fifth man
February 2nd, 2006, 03:11 PM

I totally agree. I'm sure tptb will find a way to occupy us so we don't even notice he's gone. Let's face it, they're pretty good at it. I'm just glad he openly shows how much his family means to him.

alfakim
February 2nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
what? sam's not in ANY? since when?

jonno
February 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
what? sam's not in ANY? since when?

Don't worry, Sam's in for "most" (not all) of season 10:

"I can say that Carter will be in most of SG-1's 20 episode run this year and in all of the episodes (8) we have broken so far. As for whether she'll be part of the main story arc -- I'd say yes, but people are inclined to have different opinions of what constitutes 'part of the main story arc.'"
(Executive producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a message at GateWorld Forum)

With regards to Danny boy ... they'll come up with a reason

With regards to Lam - well, she's not a regular, so she's not technically needed in any.

Also, as he's missing ep 4 and 5, that implies that's when the babies' due, so she'd only be pregnant for 5 eps + maternity leave ... if a story required it, they could always bring in a Dr. Warner type character for 1/2 a season or so.

ShadowMaat
Wonder if MS is gonna pull an RDA and gradually slide out of the series entirely. ;)

More power to him for spending time with the family. I'm just ruminating...

sueKay
I'm actually quite happy to heard this for a few reasons

1 - CONGRATS TO MS AND LD!!!!

2 - Vala might, just actually, talk to someone other than Daniel! Progress!

3 - Controversy with Daniel...ooh...that sounds good..might make me tune back in :)

plaw15
February 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Least he will be on the show!!!!!!!!!!

esoap524
February 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Lam's not in every episode now so shooting without her won't be as problematic.

I really like Daniel, though, and the Vala/Daniel vibe so I'm going to miss him when he's gone. I don't want a Cam/Vala replacement because I don't want to "hear" the many typed out groans of the anti-farscape camp. Plus, I really like Daniel/Vala. But...for those episodes, we might have a 2 male/2 female team--Carter/Vala/Teal'c/Mitchell. Now that ought to be fun!

Much luck and good wishes to Mr. Shanks. Seems like his priorities are in order.

Osiris-RA
February 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
What's SG1 without Carter's rubber face and technobabble? What am I supposed to look forward to now?

*wanders aimlessly*

AGateFan
February 2nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Just a wild guess, but I think Season 10 will be the last for SG1.....methinks the "old stars" have grown weary of the show, the recent poor writing, the loss of many regulars (Gen. Hammond, Janet Frasier, etc) and now wish to go on and try diffferent things.

Seems like it. I just wish they could have gone out on a high team note. Instead its just fading away, just like x-files. One person leaves, and then another. CJ is still there, but his he really THERE. Not that I have seen.
Good luck to them all, it was fun while it lasted. But all good things must come to an end eventually.

BigGator5
February 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Just a wild guess, but I think Season 10 will be the last for SG1.....methinks the "old stars" have grown weary of the show, the recent poor writing, the loss of many regulars (Gen. Hammond, Janet Frasier, etc) and now wish to go one and try diffferent things.There is nothing to support your claims and I think you shouldn't talk for the actors.

BigGator5
February 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
Also note that Amanda Tapping will not be in all season 10 episodes of SG-1. Amanda said in an interview that dhe will appear in an handful of episodes during the backhalf of season 3 of Atlantis.I want you to back up those claims. That rumor has been squashed ages ago.

majorsal
February 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
What's SG1 without Carter's rubber face and technobabble? What am I supposed to look forward to now?

*wanders aimlessly*

what does that mean?

sally :)

Deevil
February 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM
My guess is, he is still dedicated to the show, but equally as dedicated to his family. I do not see this as a 'phasing' out - I do not see this as him snubbing the show or any number of things that have now, or will be suggested.

he wants to spend time with his family. I am interested to see how this will work out.

Deevil
February 2nd, 2006, 06:59 PM
Amanda will be in the 'majority' of season 10 SG1. She will guest star is most likely 2 - 3 Atlantis episodes. It is doubtful it will be too much more then that.

majorsal
February 2nd, 2006, 06:59 PM
My guess is, he is still dedicated to the show, but equally as dedicated to his family. I do not see this as a 'phasing' out - I do not see this as him snubbing the show or any number of things that have now, or will be suggested.

he wants to spend time with his family. I am interested to see how this will work out.

my only concern is if ms 'chose' this for himself, or was it scfic/sony...

Deevil
February 2nd, 2006, 07:02 PM
my only concern is if ms 'chose' this for himself, or was it scfic/sony...

What the?!? Of course he choose it, his wife is having another kid, he wants to be home. It makes sense. What's with the rampit conspiracy theories?

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
actually, the last i can recall, AT said that she would not be in all 20 eps, but she didn't know exactly how many. it could be 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 or 19, just not 20.

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
i agree. he's spending time with the family and good for him.

RZN
February 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
I don't think it would be hard for the writers to write the first 7 or 8 episodes without a doctor

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
not hard at all. janet was barely in s7 due to teryl's lack of availablity

they hire someone else to play doctor, only shoot her from the back or in such a way to disguise baby

it's not that hard and something tv shows have been doing iwth female actors for years

majorsal
February 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
What the?!? Of course he choose it, his wife is having another kid, he wants to be home. It makes sense. What's with the rampit conspiracy theories?

no conspiracy theories. ;)

i'm just thinking about when he was in contract negotiations, and that he made the comment about scifi/sony not thinking the show's success hinged on any of the characters (paraphrasing).... it kind of made me think that scifi/sony wasn't making him feel that wanted. and i feel they've made amanda feel that way too. :(

Lord Shiva
February 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM

Sorry to disagree with you... I've loved the season 9 writing, and think the budding war against the Ori has been great.

PG15
February 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM

i'm just thinking about when he was in contract negotiations, and that he made the comment about scifi/sony not thinking the show's success hinged on any of the characters (paraphrasing).... it kind of made me think that scifi/sony wasn't making him feel that wanted. and i feel they've made amanda feel that way too. :(

Well, stop thinking it that way. It'll just get you depressed.

I'm glad everyone is taking this so well, I would've thought most would be raving about how TPTB is kicking out the old characters or some other BS.

Daniel's shadow
February 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Speaking for myself as a fan of Daniel and MS I am so happy for the Shanks family and looking forward very much to congratulate MS in Vancouver on the latest angel and addition to his family.

As for cutting down his appearance from 16-20, the man wants to be with his angels and I say good for him.

In fact I can't wait to say congratulations to the proud papa. :D

:daniel: :D

Deevil
February 2nd, 2006, 11:06 PM

That just means the show isn't dependant on an individual character. No one character on the show is a bigger draw card or more important then the others; thus meaning in negotiations they aren't paying any actor more then another to keep them on. It is a good way to keep budgets down. This doesn't mean that the actors aren't getting fair deals, just that they can't be asking for outrageous things and threatening to walk. I am not saying that has happened, but the actor threatening to walk unless they get what they want is a typical negotiation technique aswell.

Honestly, when contracts are up and being re-signed and small tidbits of info make it out into cyberspace, things get a little confusing and overanalysed. I am not saying that it always wrong, just that a comment like that doesn't mean he feels unwanted, or AT felt unwanted because of what happened. It just meant that they were all playing hardball.

The Engineer
February 3rd, 2006, 04:12 AM
Wonder if MS is gonna pull an RDA and gradually slide out of the series entirely. ;)

More power to him for spending time with the family. I'm just ruminating...
That could also be a possibility. The bad side would be MS leaving the show. The good side would mean that in order to gradually slide out from the show entirely he would need a few seasons (at least 3:p).
Clever observation.

valaCB
February 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
:)
Speaking for myself as a fan of Daniel and MS I am so happy for the Shanks family and looking forward very much to congratulate MS in Vancouver on the latest angel and addition to his family.

As for cutting down his appearance from 16-20, the man wants to be with his angels and I say good for him.

In fact I can't wait to say congratulations to the proud papa. :D

:daniel: :D
Amen to that :)

Skydiver
February 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
That just means the show isn't dependant on an individual character. No one character on the show is a bigger draw card or more important then the others; thus meaning in negotiations they aren't paying any actor more then another to keep them on.

i don't quite personally feel that scifi feels that way about ALL of them, just most, but that's my personal feelings.

I do think that one way to interpret MS remarks could be that 'it's this or i walk' simply means that the response from scifi will be 'see ya'

sony/scifi/mgm are in charge and, evidentally, wish to maintain a dominant position in negotiations and if any actor pushes the boundaries of what they feel is reasonable, they don't mind cutting the apron strings and letting him/her go

The Engineer
February 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
i don't quite personally feel that scifi feels that way about ALL of them, just most, but that's my personal feelings.

I do think that one way to interpret MS remarks could be that 'it's this or i walk' simply means that the response from scifi will be 'see ya'

sony/scifi/mgm are in charge and, evidentally, wish to maintain a dominant position in negotiations and if any actor pushes the boundaries of what they feel is reasonable, they don't mind cutting the apron strings and letting him/her go
Hmmm.... Have you seen Majestic?
The way you see things made me think of that movie and to a particular scene:
The one all those involved in the making of a movie were tellein the script writer what to do, and how art is according to them. The main hero had to suffer: an iron lung, blindness and all sorts of debilitating illnesses just that his angst become more painful more believeble. Some people do not know what art and good quality is.
My only hope is that those who know s**t about good quality do not meddle too much in the script writes. (wishfull thinking? maybe)

Mattathias2.0
February 3rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=sueKay]I'm actually quite happy to heard this for a few reasons

1 - CONGRATS TO MS AND LD!!!!

2 - Vala might, just actually, talk to someone other than Daniel! Progress!
QUOTE]

Congrats indeed!

I also agree. I'd like to see Vala interact with Carter, Micthell and Teal'c more often.

Mattathias

Lida
February 3rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
There is nothing to support your claims and I think you shouldn't talk for the actors.

I DO believe I used the word "think" (actually "methinks') as a preface to my "opinion".......thank you for thered ding. I think you need to learn that people here are entitled to their opinions, even if they don't agree with yours. I did not put down, degrade, or in any other way make any derogatory statement about MS specifically or any actor in general, as I adore them all. I stated that I wished them continued success, whatever the future may hold for SG1.

Do I want SG1 to end? No, not if the qualitiy of the show remains high. I have been a very faithful fan, since it first aired on Showtime.

Once again, thank you the red ding. Enjoy the green jello I gave you!:daniel:

BigGator5
February 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Your comments were out of line. You shouldn't judge everyone's actions, based on a few departures. People sometimes move on. It's called, LIFE!

I think of a show that has gone for Seven Seasons, a very successful show. To makes claims that the actor's are leaving because of writing or dirrection of the show, is a bad call and you should have been called on it.

Next time, choose your words with care.

Skydiver
February 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
actors leave shows for any vareity of reasons. keith hamilton cobb (tyr on andromeda) cited the writing as why he didn't renew his contract for s4.

others leave because they dont' like a director, or they're married, or they want to move, or because they have another job, or sometimes because they're just plain tired of doing the same thing day after day and want to do something else

people can speculate all they want, but the truth of the matter is, unless the actor him/herself comes in here, or someone that was in the room while they were negotiating, we'll never know the 'truth'

sueKay
February 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Off topic

Big Gator - I remember you ranting about me giving you a red ding, proclaiming that you NEVER gave red dings because they were pointless.

You seriously crack me up sometimes!

And back on topic now...I'm so happy for Michael and Lexa, and I think it's great they're taking time off for their family.

The Engineer
February 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
I guess that even if you are not ok with some things at your working place you don't go and say them out when you are still working there. It is rude and hazarduos to your job. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. After that you may choose to say it or not.
Speculations and Claimings are two different things. And when somebody say he/she thinks that... or it's his/her oppinion he/she doesn't claim that sombody stated somthing.
Do I agree with Lida's oppinion? Not entirely. Just because I don't agree doesn't mean she could be wrong. Just because someone leaves a show isn't a good enough reason to grow weary of a show. Just because someone thinks different than me doesn't mean he/she is wrong, especially when it comes of speculations and wild guesses. BTW my wild guess is that SG-1 will outlast season 10. Also methinks that if someone's getting weary of something is the Sci Fi Channel execs. Guess what?! I could be right, I could be wrong.
What do you think?

BigGator5
February 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Off topic

BigGator5 - I remember you ranting about me giving you a red ding, proclaiming that you NEVER gave red dings because they were pointless.

You seriously crack me up sometimes!First off, spell my name right!

I said, IN THAT THREAD ONLY WOULD I NOT GIVE RED.

ForeverSg1
February 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I want you to back up those claims. That rumor has been squashed ages ago.

Just curious, but when season 10 comes and goes and Amanda isn't in all twenty episodes and the show is cancelled or several of the actors do choose not to return, are you going to come back here and apologize to these people you have so rudely treated for simply stating an opinion? You may not agree with what others say, but your opinion is no more important than theirs nor is it any more factual.

The actors on the show have all given nearly a decade of their lives to this show, they're older and wiser, and now they all have small babies that will grow up far too quickly. I wouldn't belittle any of the actors should they choose to call season 10 quits. All of the actors have given us a fun ride and they all deserve to be happy and to be able to spend quality time with their families. My congratulations go out to MS and his family.

A special warning to all those fans who are attending the Vancouver Creation Con and going on set tour. Stay away from the water! There's obviously something in it.

Madeleine
February 3rd, 2006, 05:21 PM

I hope they don't work around it. They don't need to. They can have a pregnant CMO.

The father doesn't need to be named but it would be nice if there was a casual mention of her husband being excited or something. Sam and the boys can be more attentive of holding doors for her once she gets big, but don't need to angst over her. Vala could mention how much more onerous her own pregnancy was :rolleyes:. The pregnancy doesn't have to be part of any storyline, but if a contagion comes through the gate she could don hazmat gear to keep baby safe. And then come the time, Landry could tell her to enjoy her mat leave. Five eps later he's grinning and announcing that he's a grandpa (at which point Wlater yells that an unauthorised wormhole is opening and the ACTUAL STORY begins) and ten eps later Lam is back at work, perhaps looking more tired than before.

Pregnancy is like disability in SF. If you see it it's always a big deal, part of a STORY. It's seldom just another thing that's a normal part of life. And if they don't want to actively work a pregnancy into a BIG STORY then they airbrush it out. It's normal to be pregnant, and there's no need for Baby Lam to be a big deal, or for the cameraman to deny the existence of the possibility of a Baby Lam.

HirogenGater
February 3rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
I totally agree. I'm sure tptb will find a way to occupy us so we don't even notice he's gone. Let's face it, they're pretty good at it. I'm just glad he openly shows how much his family means to him.

Definitely, I'm going to be a father soon myself so I can understand his desire to spend more time with his family. He's given us eight great seasons of Stargate. If he decides not to return he will be missed, but he has no obligation to.

rhade
February 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
That is great for Michael and his family. I hope that although he will miss time that it leads to great opportunities for other characters to shine and for a great story for Daniel and SG-1. The good thing is that while he will be missing four episodes they will not be all at once and this will make it seem less prounced than it was when Amanda was gone this season.

Skydiver
February 3rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Definitely, I'm going to be a father soon myself so I can understand his desire to spend more time with his family. He's given us eight great seasons of Stargate. If he decides not to return he will be missed, but he has no obligation to.
yep, good for him, or for any of them, that choose to move on. their lives are more important than a show

yabyumpan
February 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
I'm confused. MS said in the interview that he's taking 4 episodes off: 2 for the birth and 2 more in the summer to spend time with his eldest daughter. How does that translate as He's leaving or Moving on ? There was no indication of anything like that in the interview I read. Unless he's got some long-term, lucrative gig up his sleeve I would imagine that he'll stay with the show as long as he can. He's going to have one more mouth to feed/clothe ect not to mention long term thinking about schooling and the like, why would he choose to leave a steady pay check? Yes, RDA did it, but he's been working a lot longer than MS, was on a Star's salery not to mention he was also a producer and has/had a production company, he could obviously afford to stop working for a time. I very much doubt that MS is any where near being in the same position.

He's just taking some Family time, good for him and congratulations to both MS and Lexa but I would be very, very surprised if he's moving on. :)

the fifth man
February 3rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
He's just taking some Family time, good for him and congratulations to both MS and Lexa but I would be very, very surprised if he's moving on. :)

I agree. I don't personally think MS is going anywhere anytime soon. The reasons for his absence in those four eps has been made perfectly clear. Nothing else is going on. Myself, I look forward to at least a few more seasons of SG-1 with the team we have now (well, plus Vala, of course.:) ). And again, congrats to MS and Lexa. I wish you two the best of luck with your new little one.

BigGator5
February 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
I'm confused. MS said in the interview that he's taking 4 episodes off: 2 for the birth and 2 more in the summer to spend time with his eldest daughter. How does that translate as He's leaving or Moving on?Thank you!

I am convince that the "Doom and Gloomers" have taken over this forum. :mckay: