This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensors

This has been bugging me for a while but just how good are Asgard G'ould and human sensors? A lot of my arguments on this are related to the ability to use asgard transporter tech so bear with me.

Asgard sensors are wideley accepted as the most superior which obviously they are as they can distinguish between individuals from orbit (Seen when thors ship beams Oneill up alone picking him out of all the personell on base).

Now osiris's ship has the transporter technology but the sensors are we assume to be G'ould (i think reasonably G'ould ship and all). The trust needed to put a marker on the gate when they stole it so they are obviously not acurate enough to even pick up a whacking great lump of naquadah. I will admit that this may have had something to do with it being underground however as there is an access shaft that leads almost directly to the gateroom i cant imagine that there would be much interference (the shaft is shown when they have to remove the overloading gate).

Now on the prommie we have beaming tech but not the top notch asgard sensors. We also need a marker system on the ground to aid in the beaming process no sensor sweep and there it is does this mean our sensors are on a par with the G'ould. This would make sense as the Asgard helped us with sensors they may not have wanted to give us an advantage over the G'ould so made the sensors they gave us close in level to us.

Now the main inconsistency lies in what the transporters beam up. if ours and the G'ould are not capable of locating individual items why can they still distinguish between items? I mean they need markers because they cant isolate things like the stargate but when they beam it up they take only the gate whereas id have thought it had to be a general area encompassing all around the gate because they couldnt locate it exactly. in this case im sure a bit of the access ramp would have been taken as well?
    the very young do not always do as they are told...

you blow up one star and suddenly everyone expects you to be able to walk on water... next parting the red sea

Well..... No, we no longer need the beacons, so our sensors are better now. How that all works is a mystery to me tho (the beacon and distinguishing items and stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
      Well..... No, we no longer need the beacons, so our sensors are better now. How that all works is a mystery to me tho (the beacon and distinguishing items and stuff)
      The asgard where nice enough to give us some sensors.The sensors have some failsafes to prevent to prevent some things like using it beam nukes on boards a ship. However if you have an asgard on boards they can bypass that failsafe.
      http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

I think that the beaming system uses a separate set of sensors to beam up an object after it's located and the co-ordinates are fed in to the beaming systems. What would happen if we beamed up a large area but the person’s head was cut off because we did not get everything. I think the Asgard would prevent this from happing. Besides the best state-of-the-art sensors can't detect neurons from orbit right now you need to replace a section of skull with glass to get the kind of resolution needed for beaming a person.
        Colorado Springs has a zoo. It does not have an O'Malley's.

Comment

As far as I know Asguard Beaming technology needs the location input from asgard sensors or otherwise (beacon) in order to beam an object in. Once that stage is satisfied the Asgard Beaming technology itself has built in smart computer systems to distinguish between seperate objects/persons in order to transport. Many such settings and paramiters that are used to distinguish certain objects are usually preprogrammed into asgard crystals according to Thor in 'Nemesis'. Rotating the crystals on the asgard control board can access the necessasary files to telleport certain objucets once the location is recognised and the crystal is moved into the folder which performs the correct function.

This system is vaguely similar to the soffisticated computer programming and safeguards that the Ancients installed in the Stargate Network to distinguish various matter streams and utilise complex motion laws to identify and convert particular groupings of matter that are attempting to enter the wormhole before transmitting only completed energy signiture. This leads me to believe that perhaps the Asgard used a similar dierivitive of the Ancient Encoding systems in their beaming technology to teleport certain matter groups once the demolecularisation beam sweeps the target location. After all Thor himself said that the Asgard had learnt much from the repository of the ancients and it had helped his people greatly despite the fact that they still had a long way to go.

The Asgard may have given the Tau'ri a similar such system but more suitable for humans for installation on the Promethius. Aunubis would also have incorperated a goa'ld design of this system in his ships.

Comment

The transporters (both Anubis' rip-offs and the gifts from the Asgard) seem to have a fail-safe that ensures the entire mass that is detected gets beamed up, probably by tying into the standard sensors.

The difference is that Goa'uld (and hence, the Season 6/7/8 era Tau'ri rip-offs) sensors can detect the presence of people, objects etc, differentiate and number them, probably even pick their position to within a few metres but they can't pinpoint these items location down to the millimeter the way the Asgard sensors can in order to be as precise as one needs to be when beaming.

What i'm getting at, is that by providing the exact pinpoint location of something the 'primitive' sensors have already detected allows the transporter to get all of it, as the entire mass of the item is already detected.

One thing that has bothered me for a while, is can Goa'uld sensors detect ships in hyperspace ? Or spot objects in regular space when the sensor itself is in hyperspace ?

Comment

Working...
            X