This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visions of the Future

This line of thought has been covered before, but I'd like to cover more than one possibility. Some see a Trek-like future for Stargate, but that is not necessarily the only view, or even the best view. Considering world reaction, international responce, and the level of cooperation already underway... what does the future hold in the world of Stargate?

I'm thinking of everything from future possibilities for Earth itself, to the future of the Stargate universe. What of the Jaffa Nation? How will they fair? The other advanced human worlds that have been encountered? The Tok'ra's chances of survival, and possible place in the future? Will the Ori be finally defeated? Or will they remain a constant thorn in the side of the galaxy? How will that affect the rest of the galaxy? Will it cause the different worlds to band together for defense? Or will the seperate worlds remain isolated? What is the future of the planets under the 'Protected Planets Treaty'? Will the Asgard be able to continue to protect them? Or would that responsibility begin to fall to Earth? Would the people of Earth accept such a responsibility? How would the people of Earth react to knowing that they have possibly hundreds or even thousands of brethren across the stars?

What would result from the world finding out about the gate? Would the world tear itself apart? Or would it finally begin to pull together? Would the world remain fractured at least in part? If the world did unify, what sort of institutions would be the result? What would it look like? Knowing the history of the Ancients, how would the world feel about its own destiny? How would that affect the future choices of Earth? Would Earth try to re-establish the Ancient Empire? Or would Earth choose to continue to stand alone, with whatever outpost or colonies it builds on its own?

All these questions and more are to be considered. What future do you see? What future do you hope for? If you were able to have a hand in how the future of Stargate played out, where would you guide it? How will all the new technologies affect Earth? Will Earth become a utopia, or do you see a future similiar to the one in the SG1 eps. "Icon"?

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

well as far as the Protected planets treaty is concerned it think that only stands with Gou'ld, seeing as they do not pose a threat any more then maybe it is now void.
    with regards to the priors I see them being around for quite a while as they do seem pretty determined to do their thing.
    The Jaffa will probably faction of into smaller treatysas they are all quite different, although they are hounorable warriors they probably wouldnt cause too many problems for the people of the galaxy, they may even become the Galactic police of their own right.
    I belive that if the Stargate went public it would be a very mixed reply they would recieve I think it will bring people closer but the public would have alot of different views on it. Not to mention the fact that there are so many nations ou there that have been put at risk and never even knew about it.

Personnaly I think a few more nations at a time will find out about before letting everyone know at the same time.

Comment

well ive voiced my opinons on this alot over the years but becuase its from you here it is once again:

During the war with the orii the stargate and everything will become public, partly becuase of the need for more manpower and resources and partly for a greater seat of resistace than the SGC.
      after a year or two of trauma the SGC and earth will get back on its feet, people will panic they will demand relocation and they will blames the military. but after this cavalcde of earthling goes forth through the galaxies there will be an aftermath where people will realise that it was the right course of action.
      the earth will be left the capital of a new human, transgalactic empire, that have billion of humans over hundred of worlds led, not supported by neccisarily the goverment located at earth. this goverment would be made up of leader from all human worlds etc.
      with this new empire come more threat but we get through it because we can fight on a grander scale, becuase of the rate of advancement so far and the new influx of resources we soon becoem a major player, with technolgy sourced form many advanced races, including the goauld,ancients, asgard, wraith and the priors ( during war etc) we now push in to a age of technolgy, a technolgyical revolution that transforms the ida, MW and PG's in to a more SW looking universe than anything we have today.
      thats my vision of the future. oh nad if your wondering when the jedoi will show up...think thor and the gene machine, then think of yoda
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Okay... this is waaay too big to cover in one post. So I suppose I'll begin small and work my way from there. I'll begin with what I think might be the immediate results of the public revelation of the Stargate, and the larger truth behind it.

I think the world would definitely be shocked. That might even be an understatement. Of course there are those who would say that they knew all along the government was hiding the existence of aliens from the public. I've actually had a few conversations with non-stargate fans about the subject, just to find out what they thought their own reactions would be. One person said they'd be suprised, but if everything was explained appropriately they could be understanding about it, maybe even support the decision to keep it secret until the right time. They did not think it would greatly alter their own feelings about life in general. On the other hand, if there was a threat out there beyond our world, they would agree that the world would be better off standing together, than apart.

Given attitudes I've seen, I think most people would be reasonable to a point, as long as sufficient explanation was given. Certainly, some would have great difficulty in altering their world view... especially those who would deny the possibility of alien life in the first place. A revelation of the stargate would be a great shock to some, a dream come true for others, and merely a new fact of life for others. Those who would be faced with evidence contrary to their beliefs will simply have to re-evaluate their views of the world. They won't have much of a choice. It could inspire xeno-phobic tendecies. In that case, steps would have to be taken to keep 'would be' terrorist from causing interstellar incidents.

I think that some things would have to be taken slowly. There would have to be a concerted effort to keep xenophobic feeling from getting out of control. It would need to be made clear, that not all alien beings are hostile, and that we in fact have many alien allies. Or at the least, that many of the alien races encountered while not over-friendly, are at least content to leave well enough alone.

In the Stargate universe, many of the nations of Earth have already begun to work together, and attempt to form a global concensus in how we deal with the universe. I think that trend would continue, until a sort of Global Alliance might be formed that would share in the mutual defence of Earth, sharing of technological benefits, and addressing certain principles of human rights as pre-requisites to admission of membership into such an alliance. I doubt rogue, dictatorial, and corrupt states would be allowed to join an alliance with obviously strong benefits to be gained, without serious reform first. I think even major nations such as China, and Russia would have to continue reforms that they've already begun anyways. Essentially, I think that the Earth faced with a galaxy filled with both threats and promise will choose to unify, rather than self-destruct.

I'll address the consequences of that later.
        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

We will become the Tau'ri Inter-Galactic Empire!

Billions upon billions of humans on hundreds if not thousands of worlds, spanning several galaxies. We WILL BE the 5th Race!
          http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
          http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Okaaay... Planetary Unity... or at least moving in that general direction.

Truth be told, you could come up with a 100 or more names for a unified world government. Just because I like it, I'm going to go with 'The United Earth Alliance'. (It might've been used by Babylon 5, but what the hell? ) Anyways, I figure that pretty much all the nations currently aware of the stargate program would likely be members of such an alliance. That would include pretty much all of North America, nearly all of Europe, Russia and China (with some more social and political progress), probably India, Japan, parts of South and Central America, parts of Asia, and maybe a few nations in Africa. The member nations would all retain their own identities and cultures. They would continue to govern their own local affairs, but matters of global concern would be the domain of the 'United Earth Alliance'. The nations that would fall under the heading of 'Rogue, Dictatorial, or Severly Corrupt' would NOT be allowed membership into such an alliance until serious political and social changes were made.

Why would they want to change? They wouldn't be allowed access to the enormous benefits of the technologies gained through the Stargate. They would benefit from whatever defense arrangements were made to protect the planet, but they would have no say or share in it. If those nations wished to enjoy the progress of the alliance, they'd have to enforce changes in their own countries.

It would take a while, but I think ultimately, the entire world would finally pull together all the way. Africa, most of the Middle East, parts of South and Central America, and Asia would need to make some serious social and political changes, but I think they could achieve it. I don't think the alliance would simply ignore them. Normal trade (besides the new technological benefits) would continue as they always have. Their would also be considerable and active pressure for those places to change. Given what they have to gain, would be the greatest inducement to do so. Once all the nations of Earth were finally unified, they could then focus more on the galaxy around them instead of internal problems.

I'll deal with institutions and such that might result from a world unification later. These would be branches of government, military departments, commercial interests, and other areas of interstellar concern.
            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
              We will become the Tau'ri Inter-Galactic Empire!

Billions upon billions of humans on hundreds if not thousands of worlds, spanning several galaxies. We WILL BE the 5th Race!
              im sure i said that.
              i think the united nations of the stars has a nice ring to it.
              the fifth race federation has another good ring to it
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              11000! green me

Comment

Simply put, SG will never reach the future before it gets canned.

There has been lots of speculation about S10 being the last, simply because Scifi will have the longest running Scifi show by then. However I can see it going to S11 or 12 max before it won't get renewed anymore.

By this time they will probably end the show on the note of the SG project being revealed to the general public. Then they may do some direct to DVD movies to finish up a few stories.

In real life though, if this was revealed there would be mass suicides of all those wacky cults that believe they are waiting for Alient gods to take them back to their rightful home on Zion or whatever.

Then there woud be new religions sweeping the globe, worshipping these beings as Gods.

Then comes the real serious stuff, paranoid governments. If it was revealed that the USA had been acquiring all this Alien tech or secretly negotiating with Aliesn for years, then 'unfriendly' countries would become worried & it'd end up with one despot launching a preemptive strike to stop it before they got too technologically advanced.

In the real world, if the USA were to do this, then I'd see China or Russia as one of the big boys who would be seriously spooked. Then comes N.Korea etc, who if they get their hands on one would probably be the most likely to use it. Possibly one of those other countries like China etc, might even secretly release the equipment & knowledge to do it. This way they stay out of it & look clean etc.

I could imagine the Usa doing the exact same thing if they found out China, Russia had been doing it, or definitely if they knew Iraq, N.Korea or whoever were doing it.

Unfortunately that's the fickle nature of people & the world that we live in. I really can't see it being a utopia where disease, famine, poverty, racism, war would all be wiped out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                  Simply put, SG will never reach the future before it gets canned.

There has been lots of speculation about S10 being the last, simply because Scifi will have the longest running Scifi show by then. However I can see it going to S11 or 12 max before it won't get renewed anymore.

By this time they will probably end the show on the note of the SG project being revealed to the general public. Then they may do some direct to DVD movies to finish up a few stories.

In real life though, if this was revealed there would be mass suicides of all those wacky cults that believe they are waiting for Alient gods to take them back to their rightful home on Zion or whatever.

Then there woud be new religions sweeping the globe, worshipping these beings as Gods.

Then comes the real serious stuff, paranoid governments. If it was revealed that the USA had been acquiring all this Alien tech or secretly negotiating with Aliesn for years, then 'unfriendly' countries would become worried & it'd end up with one despot launching a preemptive strike to stop it before they got too technologically advanced.

In the real world, if the USA were to do this, then I'd see China or Russia as one of the big boys who would be seriously spooked. Then comes N.Korea etc, who if they get their hands on one would probably be the most likely to use it. Possibly one of those other countries like China etc, might even secretly release the equipment & knowledge to do it. This way they stay out of it & look clean etc.

I could imagine the Usa doing the exact same thing if they found out China, Russia had been doing it, or definitely if they knew Iraq, N.Korea or whoever were doing it.

Unfortunately that's the fickle nature of people & the world that we live in. I really can't see it being a utopia where disease, famine, poverty, racism, war would all be wiped out.
                  wow. You have a pretty pessimistic view of the world. You might be right about some of that stuff, but I tend to personally have a more postive view. If the crazy cult people commit suicide, I'm not entirely sure that is a bad thing in the long run. A few less potential nuts running around causing problems. The world is divided on a lot of petty issues, but the last half century (in real life) the world has become more united than it ever has. Yeah, there are a lot of issues, but overall the future of the world looks brighter than say... the way the future looked during WWII. Or the Cold War for that matter. There is the whole terrorism thing, but it isn't nations going to war with each other so much, and the vast majority of the world is in agreement that terrorism is bad, and generally not the way to go. In fact, there are a lot of things that have general global concensus. It's usually just how to go about it, where the disagreements come in.

Like I said... I tend to be more of a positive thinker.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Okay... back to the world unification thing...

Well, a unified world government needs a name right? So what would you call it? (Star Trek calls it 'United Earth'... why not? It works.) I suppose the name really is important at the moment. Well, whatever you want to call it (I'll just go with the United Earth thing... ), it needs to be setup as to be as fair to all member nations as possible. This means it would need to be a democratic world government. It would need to have seperate branches to ensure seperations of powers just as the U.S. does. This means it would be divided into the Executive, Legislature, and Judicial branches.

Each nation would maintain its own unique culture, and local governments as they always have. They would keep their own local police forces, and they might even keep National Guards, or Militias. However, each nation would be required to give up its regular military, as the United Earth government would absorb them all into a single Defense Force to protect the entire planet. All the nations of the world would share a single Credit currency. Just as each State in America has its own government, and minds its own local affairs, but defers to the Federal government on International matters... so would each Nation mind its own affairs, but defer to the world government in Interstellar matters. I imagine over time each nation would evolve a similiar attitude towards each other as the states do to each other. Each state has its own culture, flavor, and interest, but they are united as a single political entity overall.

Legislative Branch

The best way to be fair in a democratic government is to ensure that everyone is fairly represented. I think the best way to do that would be to have a divided legislature much as the U.S. government does. A world Senate would ensure that the smaller nations would have a voice equal to those of larger nations. A world House of Representatives would ensure that the larger population centers of the world are adequately represented. I imagine the Senate would have 2 Senators representing each nation. In the Senate all nations would have an equal voice. The world House would have a number of Representatives dependent upon the size of population of each nations. The larger populated nations would have a greater number of representatives, and the smaller populated nations would have less. In this way the greater numbers of people would have a greater voice as is fair.

Executive Branch

The Executive Branch would be led by a world President who would be voted upon by all the citizens of every nation. That person would then choose their own cabinet to lead the various Departments of State. As is usual, the President would also have direct command of the military, however he would also have to consult and possibly defer to a Council made up of elected representatives of the Senate. The Senate would choose a number (perhaps 7 to prevent stale-mates?) from among the Senate to serve in the council. Perhaps on a rotating basis. They would be able to over-ride the President if there was a unanimous vote against his or her decision on military matters.

Judicial Branch

The Judicial branch would be mostly typical. Each nation would maintain its own justice system. However, on international and interstellar matters a world Court would be in place.

======================================================

I imagine the executive branch would need to have a Commerce Dept. that would oversee interstellar trade agreements. Essentially, it would be important to ensure that Businesses and Corporations do not embarass the planet by dealing unfairly with other worlds, many of which are less advanced. They might also aprove of worlds with which the commerical community might trade with. For obvious reason, some worlds might be off limits. They would also approve of building commerce and industrial installations on other worlds, such as mining and construction outposts or offworld trading posts.

As to the Military forces of a united planet...

I imagine it would primarily be split into two Military branches. There would be an 'Earth Defense Force' that would be charged with planetary defense. They would be a sort of regular army, with bases around the world, and possibly off-world as well. They would have aircraft for planetary security and defense. They would have ground vehicles to be as mobile as possible on a planet surface. They would also man weapons installations used for planetary defense. They might also have sea-going ships and installations, but oceans security would be left to an Oceanic Police Force.

The other branch would be an 'Earth Defense Fleet' that would be charged with keeping any hostile alien forces away from Earth. They would be the first defense against invasion or planetary attack. They would ensure the security of the Solar system, and Earth's interstellar interests. The Earth's fleet of starships would not always be needed to defend the Earth; so in times of peace any extra ships not needed for immediate security duties would be used in scientific studies and exploration. They might also be called upon for diplomatic duties, even if only to ferry dignitaries to and from other worlds. In First Contact situations, they would need to act as temporary ambassadors of Earth, until official contacts could be made.

One idea I had about the location of a capitol city of Earth, would be a new city constructed on the moon. If we can construct ships with artificial gravity, we can also build a city on the moon with enhanced gravity. The Earth government could be placed there, so that no Nation could claim it, just as the capitol of the U.S. is not in any state. It might also be beneficial to the politicians to look up everyday and see a single world without borders. The city might be constructed with many transparent domes, with trees, grass, and other outside-type structures for people to enjoy. The Embassies of alien worlds might also be located here. The Stargate might also be moved to the moon, since it would mostly be used for official business. People could use Ring Transporters, Asgard Beams, or even shuttles to travel back and forth between the Earth and the Moon. Whenever the Legislature is not in session, they could remain on Earth, until such time as they need gather. The Vice-President might stay at an Earth government building on the Earth itself, except for special occaisons, for security reasons. I suppose the World Court and any Headquarters of various other government agencies might also be kept on the Lunar Capitol City.
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Well, given the Ori incursion into our galaxy, it sounds like Earth will be one of the few technologically developed human worlds left in the galaxy. Of course I'm not really sure just how much technology the Ori will take away from worlds like Habridan. However, I doubt they'll 'encourage' those worlds to continue being technologically developed. I somehow figure they'll send them back to a Dark Age existence. Of course, they may not, considering that their technology is no match against the Ori. Maybe they'll only demand their worship. In either case, it won't be good for them. Also, Earth having possession of Atlantis will undoubtedly ensure Earth's technological dominance in the future.

Fortunately for all the other worlds out there, Earth is in no position, nor does it have the desire for conquest. Earth, will undoubtedly be preoccupied with its own internal development. Trade relations, and offworld resources will be a great assist in achieving that goal. The biggest problem Earth will be facing is how to achieve cohesion as a planet. We've already seen that even with the knowledge of hostile aliens that the governments of the various nations of Earth are still reluctant to always work together. However, if the Stargate program and all that it entails were made public to the world at large, it may give those nations incentive to be more cooperative with each other. Or it could just make things worse. Everyone will want their 'piece of the pie'. People everywhere will demand the benefits advanced technology. Hopefully, Earth will be in the position to be able to do just that.

Even so, it wouldn't be easy. My question of the day here is this: What alien technologies might be made available to the 'public' to help in this situation? Certainly security is a big issue here. What technologies can the governments of Earth reasonably allow the public access to without too much risks? Star Travel? Memory downloading devices for education? Naquada Generators? Ring Transporters? (I doubt the military would be willing to give out Asgard Beams just yet. Ring Transporters would work only with fixed locations, unlike the Beams.)

Thoughts anyone?
                      Spoiler:

Comment

I think this is one of the biggest issue of Stargate ongoing secrecy. The revelation of the Gate program should have happened 2 years ago, after the defeat of all our current enemy ( reps, anubis and the goaud) because at that time we were in an unbelievable strong position.
                        2 years ago the universe was literally our oyster, with the jaffa owing us big time, the galaxy safe from enemies on all fronts, the Tauri developing a line of powerfull starships, atlantis and the ZPM in our possesion and finally breathing space from the constant threat of impending doom. That was the time to do it, but alas we didnt and the shoe dropped and now we have the world enemy in the universe banging at our door.

At the moment, in all fairness to Sg1, the Ori will kick our asses, so the future is limited to the near future only as far as im concerned. However for the purpose of this discussion im going with the storyline that the gate program and everything surrounding was revealed about 3 months after moebius.

-----------------------
                        So we reveal the gate program, aliens and advanced technology. First things first, the world panics, we get all societies wackjobs knocking at the door blaming us for all kinds of things "you beamed me YV away last week...give it back"..
                        Second, after the world comes to terms we kinda go back to normallity a bit, just like any major shock we return to our lives and then gradually adjust. In this time all the major corporations want in on the Gate program, the military says that all technology regarding the gate program is stickl off limits. Eventually they release stuff in to the private sector and we soon get a influx of new technology in to the world and new feilds of R&D.

After a few years the most frequently seen technology, beaming tech and Naquadah generators enters the market as mass power sources and a revolutionry new trasport network evolves from beaming technology (makes cars, train, planes and boats obsolete once setup) . We turn from a Oil planet in to the Galaxies Naquadah importers to provide power to a new advanced homeworld, the goverments see this as a chance to promote offworld mining opperations to be set up and open the Gate network to select mining companies and their workers to find us resources. This essentially set up a gold rush accross the galaxy to find naquada and our empire expands.

Stage 4 is when the Military use these mines and take commision for using the gate, threating to close the Iris on shipments if they dont comply, simple enough. The commision then in turn provides us with the resources to build a new line of intersteller vessels which we use to colonise and protect a growing number of planets near earth ( that are habitable) as well as help fight the wraith.

Stage 5 we connect up all the Dots and create the Earth federation of planets, we have mines, cities, research bases, shipyards; all accross the galaxy feeding in to a growing network of needs and wants for the population. Eventually however the Jaffa and the Tauri clash heads, they are both trying to do the same thing, reorder the galaxy, and well who will succeed is a headache so a treatie is drawn up and somehow the galaxy is split up between all the remaining advanced races in the galaxy, with earth getting 35% stake in a whole galaxy, a sector of the galaxy surrounding earth containing planets of some of our allies as well as rich mines and even three recently discovered ancient outposts.

Stage 6 is well we build and build and build, and soon out population tripples and there are a dozen planets that are as devloped as earth is today but with technology that is similar of level to hebridan. Earth is getting technology from the ancients, asgard, goauld, hebrdans and our own new found freedom to develop advacned technology due to extra resources and the implementation of full research and development facilities. In addition the fleet of Earth has grown to an impressive size and is in 2020 to be sent on a campaign against the wraith allied with the Asgard in the pegasus galaxy.

Ok thats just wasted 30 minutes, enjoy
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

As much as i like your fantastic future ,but remember the ending of ep"200", it take place 10 yr later ,Martain and his castof "Wormhole extreme" ,They were talking about how the show make it to "200" episode,if the Stargate and Atlantis had go public, do u think they would mention something related to stargate in their interview , The only future i read from the ending of "200" is that by 2016 ,most people still doesn't know anything about Stargate, Alien tech is still of reachof common people , Daniel is still an outcast of the scientific community (very sad), the Earth survive the Ori war, and i doubt the people of Earth notice anything(probably because Earth was left untouch again),2010 pass the Aschen never came.
                          The Earth of 2016 is not much differnet to 2006.

Comment

Im sorry you read something tangable out of 200? You realise WX is a joke and deliberatly taking the piss off of SG in every way. So i think the future of 2016 will be totally different to the earth of 2006
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

Soon it will be the...

Earth Alliance
                              http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                              http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Working...
                              X