This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you ever wanted to know about Priors #spoilers welcome#

First and foremost, sincere apologies if this is a much repeated subject but i couldn't locate a thread that resembled my idea enough, so here it is.

Second, a bit of an intro ;

Way back in Season 3 of SG-1, we got our first taste of the idea of Ascended beings in the episode Maternal Instinct and the first hint of the use of power without the use of technology. Essentially, the previously strictly science-based show's conception of magic. The awesome ability of Ascended to affect the surrounding universe (when they could get away with it of course) was later explained through the fact that these beings are comprised of energy themselves and their discretion to wield that power was under strict limitations of higher plane politics.

In Season 5, we got a taste of supernatural-esque power, with Cassie's aborted transformation in Rite of Passage. This changed the rules of the game with regards to non-technological use of power ; mortal human beings could harness unnatural abilities and, one of the perks of life on the lower planes, had no restrictions attached, provided one's body could take it. These abilities were vaguely chalked up to higher brain functions, a biologically "evolved" state and the body's generation of magnetic fields. Since then, we've seen all kinds of abilities from Nerti's mind-readers and telekinetics, to Jonas' future visions, to Jack's temporary healing ability.

Now, we have the Priors to contend with. We know these men (no women seen yet) were previously regular people, before they were engulfed by the Orii themselves, receiving the full package. And with that step, these regular worshippers have been transformed practically into supernatural villains. As this is a new tact for the normally scientifically grounded show, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread to collect all the information we can, and speculate on, the capabilities of the Priors. Essentially to discuss what the Priors can do, how they can do it and how this fits into the established mythology and science of Stargate.

To start things off ;

- Telekinesis. Priors can move objects ranging in size from books to adult males and are fond of using it to open and close doors. They can use precision, as seen by their ability to strangle people (the first kill seen by a Prior resembled a Darth Vader-style throat crushing) and can stop objects travelling at bullet speeds dead in their tracks. Note that this ability is not necessarily related to foresight as the man in Metamorphasis could also stop bullets and there was no evidence of him possessing abnormal perception.

How dependent are the Priors on their staffs ? Do they act to boost the power of their abilities ?

Are the Priors given a crash course in the use of their abilities ? Other beings with powers have shown a need to master their power over time.

Are the Priors producing energy required for their abilties themselves ? Or have they 'borrowed' power from the Orii ?

Other abilities of the Prior:
    • They have also demonstrated some form of telepathy at least as seen in the Fourth Horsemen Part 2.
    • Can alter their very genetic structure to create biological plagues
    • Can seemingly bring people back from the dead no matter how badly injured they are
    • Have shown pyrokinesis namely the ability to start fire with a thought alone

Im going to assume that the Doci being the highest servant of the Ori currently has much stronger abilities then the average Prior though there is no confirmation on this. He is so far the only being who has housed an actual Ori in his body though.

Well thats the interesting part when you debate about their powers. The Priors themselves claim that their powers come from the Ori themselves. But if you take the route that they are hok'taurs or advanced humans then essentually much of their power comes from themselves. Unless its some kind of combination of the two. The staffs have never been fully explained but they seem to be some form of channelling mechanism as a Prior isnt powerless without his staff but they do seem to require it for major powers.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

THe prior seem to be at a stage on onward from the anubis genetic experiement khalak was at. that he access to Telekiesis, telepathy, emotive reading (likely given the mind/emotion connection), he also displayed pyrokinetic abilitys in melting the tube, it appears he has some more advanced forms of telekinesis than the hoktars nirti created in that he seemed to be able to channel the telkinsis to levitate( by floating up the lift shaft).

If this is the power of a one stage down form ( evolutionarly, and 'ascendedy') then this is my conclusion on some of the powers that the priors have.

total TK mastery, they can affect thing to incredicle precicion over a wide area and maybe even in multiples due to the fact that he was stopping many bullets simultaneusly. if it is not multiple ten perhap some sort of TK barrier of shield as a byproduct of constant physic activity.
      All thoughts, memorys, emotions and senations avallable to access in the victims psyche.
      extreame pyrokinetic abilitys, however this may be of some question because of the nature of gerak's inflamation. it is likely however that the prior do possess some degree of control over fire, and possilbe other elemental forces as well, most likely is ice, bieng that cyro, pyro,aero and gyro kinesis's are linked and are supportive and subjective to each other if one is control the other seem to be able to be affected as a result. so i would say elemental control may be a limit ability ( nothing like the shifu sandstorms, naturally that is).

there is also another form of power we have seen them use, and im unsure of wheather this is ori or prior, when the prior took gerak to celestis this could have been a form of advanced astral travel, asteral projection is the mind or soul taking a journy to another place or time though another plane. this could be part of the extension of bieng closer to extension, viewing remote places, planes or time may be an ori ability that the prior susequently gain when they are engulfed by ori energy when they are 'changed'.

Now on to the subject of the staffs. i think they are a combination of many thing, i think, and this is just my opinion that the staffs are what transfer the belief from followers to the ori. the use of the staff to perform miricles and the priors use of them is 'stored' in the staff head. any action the staff makes is logged and the power and belief from that action transfered (however it is transfered gos to that staff. the staffs power is proportional to the miricles and belief gained in its use. that my take on it.

So the more miricle and people you convert the more power the ori allow to remain bound to the staff. so the ori share a little bit of the power to keep the priors stocked up of miricle juice ( via the glowing staff, glowing mean drawing power from the orii directly) and in turn the prior have access to create epic effects that will hlep in thier conversion role.

immhotep
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

This is beginning to remind me of the Favor (mana) gained by villagers worshipping at Greek temples in the game Age of Mythology. Do you think TPTB took ideas from games too?
        http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

it seems a likely explanation IMO, the priors are naturally advanced but this does not account for the leveling of cities or the prior creating that massive shield in beachead. If power is drawn from humans and and transfered to the ori then the priors, or prior staffs may be soem sort of reciever for that power, this might be why the prior have to go round the planets alot, theyve been to the sodan planet alot, maybe it to collect the belief. sounds strange i know. what if the 'payment' for doing this is that they get a share, and can perform more stuff in the process. and i bet the doci has the biggest share of the takings so hes the most powerfull.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

I don't think they borrow power from the Orii (the ancient wouldn't allow it). But they get the knowledge of how to use their new power by the Orii. The staff are probably for boosting power and for abilities that can't be given genetically.

Comment

Working...
            X