PDA

View Full Version : SGA 2#- Reliquary

Elite Anubis Guard
January 30th, 2006, 12:27 AM
http://www.marthawells.com/reliquary.htm

Here's the preview from the Rising novel.

Elite Anubis Guard
March 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.stargatenovels.com/images/SGA2_Reliquary368x600.jpg
While exploring the unused sections of the Ancient city of Atlantis, Major John Sheppard and Dr. Rodney McKay stumble on a recording device that reveals a mysterious new Stargate address. Believing that the address may lead them to a vast repository of Ancient knowledge, the team embarks on a mission to this uncharted world.

There they discover a ruined city, full of whispered secrets and dark shadows. As tempers fray and trust breaks down, the team uncovers the truth at the heart of the city. A truth that spells their destruction.

With half their people compromised, it falls to Major John Sheppard and Dr. Rodney McKay to risk everything in a deadly game of bluff with the enemy. To fail would mean the fall of Atlantis itself – and, for Sheppard, the annihilation of his very humanity…

http://www.stargatenovels.com/sga-2_reliquary.shtml

And from the latest e-mail:
Dear Stargate fans,

The latest STARGATE ATLANTIS novel from Fandemonium Books will be published
next week. Entitled “Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary”, the story follows the
Atlantis team as they seek out an Ancient repository of knowledge.

We’re very excited to be working with Martha Wells, a prolific fantasy
author and Nebula Award nominee. You can read a short biography of Martha at
our website which also contains links to her website and an interview with
Shaun Farrell, a journalist who writes for the FarSector.com website.
www.stargatenovels.com/marthawells.shtml

Well the cover looks absolutely fantastic.

mckaychick
March 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah the cover looks great. Cant wait for the book to come out!

Elite Anubis Guard
March 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM
It's out today. Go order it. I have.

mckaychick
March 15th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Its out today??? Sweet!!

Elite Anubis Guard
March 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Head on over to the website n look.

Elite Anubis Guard
March 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I've got it and started reading. Characterization is good and it seems to be a sequel of sorts to Torment of Tantalus from S1 of SG1.

mckaychick
March 17th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Man Its not out here where I am :0(.

xfkirsten
March 17th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Bah! Amazon still lists it as shipping in 4-6 weeks. :(

mckaychick
March 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah thats all i can find too

Elite Anubis Guard
March 17th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I ordered it straight from Fandemonium.

mckaychick
March 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
How long did it take to get there?

Elite Anubis Guard
March 17th, 2006, 01:14 PM
2 days.

EDIT: Yay, 3,400 posts.

mckaychick
March 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM
ok thx
congrats on 3400 posts!

Elite Anubis Guard
March 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
But for overseas shipping it'll take about a week.

mckaychick
March 17th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Well its better than 4-6 weeks.

Elite Anubis Guard
March 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Ye best off ording it off their website then.

mckaychick
March 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah i will.

Elite Anubis Guard
March 18th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Well its a slow start but its picking up. Someone does seem off though.

sueKay
March 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM
It's been okay so far, but a bit too slow IMO

mckaychick
March 18th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I may finally get the book in the next week!!!!!!

Elite Anubis Guard
March 19th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Im about half way in and now its picking up. Bit predictable however.

k8tbug1
March 21st, 2006, 02:24 PM
Bah! Amazon still lists it as shipping in 4-6 weeks. :(

Yep I had preordered it through Amazon a month or so ago. I did the same w/ Rising and it came no problem. I cancelled my order and ordered right from the books site. I just got my shipping confirmation order today.
:) :) I'm now officially a happy camper!!!!!!!! I'm definitly ordering the next book through the website!!!!! Can't wait to get Reliquary.

Elite Anubis Guard
March 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Oh man...

How can you manually dial a Peg gate?

prion
March 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Yep I had preordered it through Amazon a month or so ago. I did the same w/ Rising and it came no problem. I cancelled my order and ordered right from the books site. I just got my shipping confirmation order today.
:) :) I'm now officially a happy camper!!!!!!!! I'm definitly ordering the next book through the website!!!!! Can't wait to get Reliquary.

Fans have reported very good success with ordering directly through Fandemonium (but US fans can't order SG1 books, just SGA). Also,

20% discount till end of month!! (March)

sueKay
March 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Elite Anubis Guard

Yeah...I noticed that too...
Unless McKay used to be an electrician...lol!

It's an okay read...above average, but it still kind of plods around like it's going for a stroll.

I get the impression that if it had been the same length as Rising it would have been superb.

Just MO

But still a good read

Elite Anubis Guard
March 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Ye, I've finished too. It was good, not as good as Sallys novelization but good. I did like some of the surprises that kept coming but it had crap pacing.

sueKay
March 24th, 2006, 08:36 AM
The pacing was what let it down, though I did find the concept of John being able to 'talk' to Ancient technology quite intriguing :)

Elinor
March 25th, 2006, 04:28 AM
I enjoyed it!

Characterizations were spot on, great Shep/McKay banter and lots of Shep whumping!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-017.gif

Elite Anubis Guard
March 25th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Definetly. And the music of ATA thing sounded great.

mckaychick
March 30th, 2006, 11:29 AM
finally hsave the book

k8tbug1
March 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM
finally hsave the book

Me too!!! Got it a few days ago and finished it!! Good read!! Especially liked how You get to know what the characters are thinking. Also loved the Speppard/McKay banter!!! Ya gotta love that!! LOL

mckaychick
March 30th, 2006, 12:19 PM
i got t today and im on chapter3

sueKay
March 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM
the Sheppard/McKay interaction in this book is top notch...any fans of this pairing (as friends...I didn't detect a hint of slash) should read this book!

mckaychick
March 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
the book is good so far

knocknashee
March 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Oh man...

How can you manually dial a Peg gate?

Given the references in the book, I can conclude that the gate on this planet is a type I, milky way style gate... (page 122, first 3 paragraphs)

Though I admit it bugged me at first...

Elite Anubis Guard
March 30th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Nah, I think its ment to a Peg Gate. That was just buggered up continuity.

knocknashee
March 31st, 2006, 02:43 AM
Nah, I think its ment to a Peg Gate. That was just buggered up continuity.
It could go one of two ways here:

1. You are correct and the poor continuity is down to the author not knowing everything about the universe they are writing in.

2. The book actually gives two points of reference to support the MW-type theory. One - McKay says, "But we don't need a DHD, we can dial that 'gate manually." Surely if it had been a standard PG-type gate, he'd have just said "the gate" and not specifically "that gate".
Two, Sheppard continuing that thought with the fact that he should have remembered that fact. Since they have never dialled a gate in this manner in the Pegasus Galaxy, the only place he could remember that fact from would be SG Mission Reports, which I believe is actually mentioned, specifically the experiments of the 1940s where Ernest Littlefield went through to Heliopolis.

I did have an antithesis here, but then realised that usless they had looped around, Teyla most likely wouldn't have seen the gate. And to be fair, the Athosians probably stuck pretty much to dialling places they knew were safe, considering that dialling any random address could result in people walking into the vacuum of space.

As it is, the book is pretty open-ended. It doesn't give much in the way of details either way, which pretty much leaves it open for your own interpretation of events, which I like. I think some people think it meandered a little too much, but to me, reading a book isn't just about the actual written words, it's about where those words can take you, and I think this definitely offered a fair bit of opportunity for reader hypothesis and use of your own imagination to fill the holes. Some books give too much information - part of the reader experience should be to put your own perspective on things...

prion
March 31st, 2006, 03:49 AM
Got the book (very fast delivery!) and today's the last day for 20% off but it 's still fast delivery... anyway....

Good book. To me, it read like well-edited, well-written fan fiction. Sometimes pro novels can leave me dry. They have no handle on the characters, but in this one, the Shep-McKay banter was very much like the series. "whump" fans will like it too ;)

My cat liked it. Found him snobbering up the entire side of the book (thank god I put a slipcover on the cover). Ack, now I have to dry out the book!

knocknashee
March 31st, 2006, 04:29 PM
Good book. To me, it read like well-edited, well-written fan fiction. Sometimes pro novels can leave me dry. They have no handle on the characters, but in this one, the Shep-McKay banter was very much like the series. "whump" fans will like it too ;)

My cat liked it. Found him snobbering up the entire side of the book (thank god I put a slipcover on the cover). Ack, now I have to dry out the book!

It was good, I enjoyed it muchly. Was definitely better than the 'Rising' novelisation.

I like the fact that the Fandemonium books read the way they do, because as you said, the people seem to have more feel for the characters. This definitely pandered to a certain section of fandom, though I have to say... it was rather 'Conversion' like in some respects...I thought the link with the studio was supposed to prevent that sort of stuff..?

As to well-edited...not so much. I noticed a fair few errors of basic grammar throughout the book, stuff that beta / proof should have picked up.

mckaychick
March 31st, 2006, 04:50 PM
im half way through and am enjoying it.

Linzi
March 31st, 2006, 09:59 PM
I loved it! Thought the characterisations were spot on, good plot too. The Sheppard/McKay banter and interaction was spot on, and the Shep whump was excellent. I preferred this to the novelisation of Rising by a long way. All in all a great read.

mckaychick
April 5th, 2006, 12:41 PM
great book i loved it!

k8tbug1
April 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I loved it! Thought the characterisations were spot on, good plot too. The Sheppard/McKay banter and interaction was spot on, and the Shep whump was excellent. I preferred this to the novelisation of Rising by a long way. All in all a great read.

The Sheppard/McKay stuff was one of my favorite things about the book too!!!
I really liked it!!!

Morgania
April 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I'm ordering it and the other novels soon.

HirogenGater
April 22nd, 2006, 08:53 PM
I was going to order this and the SG-1 novel City of the Gods, but I guess I can't order any SG-1 books because of some license? I am very confused with Fandemonium's website... can I? or can I not order SG-1 books? Here is what is listed in their bookstore,

Dear North American* customers: You requested it and now we've done it – Your orders will now be despatched from the USA which means you no longer have to pay for shipping from the UK, plus you get your books faster. (This doesn't affect UK and rest of world shoppers who will continue to receive their orders from the UK.)

Ok, so I pick out two novels that sounds good and even get the price in US dollars then get this message,

Please note: if your country is Canada, United States or Mexico and your shopping cart contains a "Stargate SG-1" novel, then we will be unable to process your order.

So what is it?

* well I was going to order two SG-1 books from amazon.uk, but $37 for 2 paperbacks!?
Forget it, anyone know of an american seller that has fandemonium novels for sale?

Elite Anubis Guard
April 23rd, 2006, 04:34 AM
OK. ROC holds the lisence for SG1 novels in USA so Fandemonium cant sell SG! novels over there. You can import them.

However, Fandemonium sell Atlantis novels in the USA. And if you are gonna import SG1 novels.

Naonak
April 27th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Just finished Reliquary. Thought it was pretty good, and the Sheppard/McKay banter was brilliant, sometimes approaching Jack/Daniel greatness.
I also like how it perfectly captured that Weir rarely does anything. :mckayanime01:

Survival of the Fittest preview was quite good, too.

HirogenGater
April 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM

What's a Shep whump?

HirogenGater
April 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM
OK. ROC holds the lisence for SG1 novels in USA so Fandemonium cant sell SG! novels over there. You can import them.

Do you happen to know how long ROC holds the license? I don't see any information on that on Fandemoniums website. I thought that might be a frequently asked question.

However, Fandemonium sell Atlantis novels in the USA. And if you are gonna import SG1 novels, don't bother with City of the Gods, it's terrible. Get A Matter of Honor and Cost of Honor.

I just purchased A Matter of Honor from WhoNa, trying to find someone in te US selling a copy of Cost of Honor now.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 27th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Afraid I don't know how long. Ya'd have to email Fande and find out.

Demonique
May 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM
What's a Shep whump?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a whump is where a character suffers any sort of injury.

HirogenGater
May 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a whump is where a character suffers any sort of injury.

Ok.

Did anyone search for Stargate novels on Amazon (US) lately? All the titles say a publishing date of Feb 06 and will are available for preorder for $7.95. I wonder if Fandemonium can sell SG books here in the US now?

Elite Anubis Guard
May 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
Not technically, but Amazon can import them.

Elite Anubis Guard
August 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
I re-read this a couple weeks ago and I have to say I enjoyed it alot the second time round. Sheppard being called John didn't bother me as much and I found myself able to appricate the novel more.