X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alterran hyperspace drives

better yet Lantian,

where is it said that their hyperspace tech is extremely slow?

i imagine their tech is better or on par with asgard hyperspace tech

Aurora

People now presume they had bad hyperdrives due to Aurora having a slow hyperspace capabable drive system (say that 5times fast and drunk)

But, to move something like Atlantis, and possibly the Sister city, their tech would be highly advanced, so I tihnk they just didnt put a fast drive in Aurora because it was never really needed. (Before the Wraith wars anyway)
    Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

I believe that only some Aurora Class Warpships have slow Hyperdrives and some have faster ones, maybe the Orion has a much faster hyperdrive equal to dadelus or faster .

Comment

I seem to remember seeing in some episode that for quite a lot of their ships, Atlantis included, didn't need the full hyperspace upgrades as they were a patient race.
        * Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else. *

* Avoid employing unlucky people, throw half of the CVs in the bin without reading them. *

Lost City, Part 2 - The Gateworld best ep S1-7

The 'Everyone Gets A Compliment' Thread

Comment

which ep? aurora?

Comment

In Aurora it stated that Lantians had 2 kinds of Hyperdrives - Really fast ones for Intergalactic journeys and slower ones for journeys inside pegasus

The Aurora was fitted with one of the slower ones and it would take a whole month to cross the pegasus galaxy. Obviously that is Incredibly slow

Anyway imo equiping every ship in your fleet with intergalacti drives when you only live in one galaxy is just wasteful

The Orion might have a slower Hyperdrive but I suppose it could be upgraded
            sigpic

Comment

The Aurora was fitted with one of the slower ones and it would take a whole month to cross the pegasus galaxy. Obviously that is Incredibly slow
              wow, that is slow. the Prometheus is faster than that. it does Earth to Atlantis in about 3 weeks.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                In Aurora it stated that Lantians had 2 kinds of Hyperdrives - Really fast ones for Intergalactic journeys and slower ones for journeys inside pegasus

Anyway imo equiping every ship in your fleet with intergalacti drives when you only live in one galaxy is just wasteful

The Orion might have a slower Hyperdrive but I suppose it could be upgraded
                They might have started to put in better drives when the wraith appeared.
                Speed is good to have in wars.

Comment

Well maybe the other hyperdrives required different components? We know that super fast hyperdrive actually enters a different layer of hyperspace, perhaps that requires more power, specific parts and blah blah blah.

PS.>WOOO....3000 posts.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Although this thread has obviously already involved spoilers, i'm putting up a warning for all episodes up to and including Aurora

Spoiler:
                    On the contrary, i think the Ancients are more than capable of having relatively (i.e. Prommie speed) fast to very fast hyper speeds on their ships. The impression i got from Aurora was that the Ancients deliberately put in inferior hyperdrives on their ships once the war began.

This is because, as we discovered in late Season 1's The Gift , the Wraith are biologically and linguistically derived from the Ancients themselves. It stands to reason that much of their technology is also derived from Atlantian tech, but clearly they are severely lacking in the hyperdrive department.

The Aurora had significant security procedures in place to prevent the Wraith accessing sensitive info. One can assume that the hyperdrive technology is also sensitive, hence the two-mode system. They probably used an inferior set-up with their drives so even if the mode-one was captured, all that could be engineered from it would be a relatively slow drive that took a month at max speed to get to Atlantis from the edge of Pegasus.

Comment

Slow isn't the word for the aurora's hyperdrive it simply wasn't built for intergalactic travel. The ship wasn't built for intergalactic travel it was built to defend pegasus galaxy. galaxies are big, the ship can probably move at several hundred times the speed of light. Over the course of over 100 years of the probably ship moved from one campaign to another eventually arriving on the otherside of the Pegasus Galaxy, so far that it would take several years to get back in time. the aurora was probably built with a interstellar class hyperdrive to make room for btter shield and weapons. Think of it as a great big space tank.
                      Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Peg is a dwarf galaxy. The Milky Way is much bigger. Therefor, the Aurora's hyperdrive was a lot slower than the Daedalus's if it takes a month to cross Peg.

Comment

Also, it wasn't a war ship. I like YodaMate's idea. The Wraith are scavengers, just like how the Asgard used our ship (the Prommie) to infiltrate Rep territory. It was such a primitive ship it was ignored.

P.S. It would take a month to go from were Aurora was to Atlantis, not years. (also, I doubt Atlantis' StarDrive was very slow)

Comment

Also keep in mind at the height of the war they were probably making as many ships as possible. Do you make 10 ships with intergallactic hyperdrive when you're fighting a war in just one galaxy, or twice as many ships in half the time using easier to build technology?
                            "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                              better yet Lantian,

where is it said that their hyperspace tech is extremely slow?

i imagine their tech is better or on par with asgard hyperspace tech
                              While their are many possibilities why auroura's hyperdrive was slower than expected it is possible that by now the asgard have surpassed the ancients in hyperdrive tech.
                              They have been studying the ancient repository of knowledge for some time and being the asgard probably wouldn't have been looking for weapons. While still having much to learn about it they probably would have concentrated on such tech to advance their space exploration and other science. They then would have had thousands of years to improve on it and so it is possible that by now asgard hyperdrive tech is the best and most advanced.

Comment

Working...
                              X