This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Pegasis communications relay #critical mass spoilers#

In Critical mass they showed a specific distance between the two galaxies wherefrom Daedalous could relay subspace signals to and from earth. How about dropping some sort of automated relay there? It cant be too hard or expensive to rig up an radio comparable to one of the ships with a appropriate powersource and have Daeddy drop it off the next time it flys by.

So... stupid idea?

Nope, makes perfect sense. That's why they won't do it. The only thing I could figure would be perhaps the Wraith would notice all the communications going to the relay, and figure out which direction Earth is in.
    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

And decypher the messages.

Comment

Goa'uld long communication device. Do we know how far they reach?

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBaron
          Goa'uld long communication device. Do we know how far they reach?
          We have not. However , as it uses the stargate for transmition, we could assume it can range a entire gatenetwork within a galaxy. No clue if they could work inter-galaxy.
          42'nd Street - Points of view

"Looking forward to season 38 of sg1"

Comment

Goa'uld long range communication devices are not secure, and the Goa'uld stayed in one galaxy so they wouldn't need to communicate from galaxy to galaxy. So i think the range is limited to one galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric
              In Critical mass they showed a specific distance between the two galaxies wherefrom Daedalous could relay subspace signals to and from earth. How about dropping some sort of automated relay there? It cant be too hard or expensive to rig up an radio comparable to one of the ships with a appropriate powersource and have Daeddy drop it off the next time it flys by.

So... stupid idea?
              Not at all. I came up with the same exact idea when I was watching the show myself. It makes perfect sense.

Originally posted by ItsDan
              Nope, makes perfect sense. That's why they won't do it. The only thing I could figure would be perhaps the Wraith would notice all the communications going to the relay, and figure out which direction Earth is in.
              Dan is right, but there is a way around that. Simply place communications relays all around the Pegasus galaxy (the outside), at various distances. Then simply program the relays to use random routes around the Pegasus galaxy (all transmissions should be directed away from the Milky Way on the first transmission.), and once the initial signal reaches the relay outside the Pegasus galaxy, it can jump to alternate relays until it can be safely directed towards the Milky Way far, far beyond the Wraith's limited hyperdrive range. Even if the Wraith were to intercept a transmission, it would mislead them as to the true destination, as the transmission they would intercept would be directed away from the Milky Way to a point far outside Pegasus. Once there it would be rerouted to alternate relays (all far beyond the Pegasus galaxy itself), until it reaches all the way back around the other end of Pegasus and then on to Earth.

It's all about mis-direction. It could work. That way, they wouldn't even need to use the Stargate for transmissions back and forth between Earth and Atlantis. They could communicate with Earth every day if they wanted. Go subspace transmitters..! woohoo..!
              The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
              Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
              My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
              Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

The wraith are smart, they would figure it out eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedWarrior
                  The wraith are smart, they would figure it out eventually.
                  Yes, they are very smart. But the fact remains that they would need to physically go to one of the Communications Relays to determine where the signal was being rerouted to. Keep in mind... the Dadaelus was nearly at the halfway point between Pegasus and the Milky Way, while acting as a relay between the two galaxies. With the Wraith's current hyperdrive capability, it would take hundreds of years to reach even a nearby Com-Relay. So all you have to do is set them far enough away from Pegasus, so that they circle the galaxy. Then you simply send the signal in a direction away from the Milky Way. You could choose the direction so it corresponds to the location of another galaxy. Once the signal reaches the Com-relay in the direction of the first transmission it could be rerouted to alternate Com-relays placed in positions far outside of Pegasus, and then re-transmitted back to the Milky Way. The Wraith ARE smart... but far from omnicient. It would work.
                  The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                  Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                  My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                  Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

how about.... setting up a decoy transmitter which transmits highly encoded gibberish and make it "point" towards the Ori galaxy? lol if it works we get to watch Wraith Vs Ori-someone break out the pop corn! lol picture this Wraith-Prior encounter:

Prior: The Ori are your gods!Bow down before them!
                    Wraith: We are your death! *feeds*
                    Semper Vigilans!

Play www.stargatewars.com
                    +
                    Join the Adeptus Astartes

Comment

You can actually determin if something is gibberish or intelligent communication even if its encrypted. So the wraith who are more advanced then us would know that to, and not fall for the decoy.

But Seastallion you'r right. Why didn't i think of that.

Now send your idea to the writers It would be great if they did like you said.

Comment

Wait a minute...the wraith has been in Pegasus for millions and millions of year and managed to defeat the Ancients. You're telling me that in that time the wraith have never captured Ancient ships and instalations?

Surely after several million years I would imagine that the Wraith would have been able to reverse engineer the ancient hyperdrive technology and other technologies.
                        ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

Quite a good idea indeed. Though I see two problems with it, the first being already mentioned, the Wraith. The second would be the Milkyway outpost was on a far distant MW planet that needed the Stargate. And if we setup relays in the MW, we'd have to worry beings here taking advantage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by section31
                            Wait a minute...the wraith has been in Pegasus for millions and millions of year and managed to defeat the Ancients. You're telling me that in that time the wraith have never captured Ancient ships and instalations?

Surely after several million years I would imagine that the Wraith would have been able to reverse engineer the ancient hyperdrive technology and other technologies.
                            My guess, they probably never captured anything worth of value to retro engineer. And, they probably did not know humans existed outside Pegasus until the rival of the Atlantis expedition.

Comment

The wraith may discover the tranmissions and track them to the relay, and then the wraith destroy the Relay. They could use an Ancient Point defense sattlite as a relay, because it can defend itself.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Working...
                              X