This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHD Symbols and Galaxy questions

Im sorry if this has been asked before, but its been bugging me for a while....:

What im wondering is, all the symbols on the DHD are suppose to be Star Constillations right?And the wormhole I guess you could say "Bounces" off of each one creating a sort of Map to the next planet...

Well in a new Galaxy, wouldn't there have to be a whole new set of Symbols for the new Star Constillations in that Galaxy?

But Assuming that those Star Constillations are spread out amongst the other Galaxies, and not just in our Galaxy, then why would the gate need all that extra power to dial another Galaxy?I mean afterall, if the Wormhole "bounces" from constillation to constillation, and those Constillations are in other Galaxies, then the gate obviously has enough power normally to reach other Galaxies.

Im basing this whole Symbol-Constillation connection off of the Stargate Movie when Daniel figured out what the Symbols on the gate were when he looked at that News Paper.

In the movie it was the location of the constellation which determined by using 6 of them the point in space where the wormhole needs to go. I never liked that, a constellation isn't a 'point', it's a collection of stars. Most constellations have stars which aren't anywhere near each other, they just appear that way from Earth, so deriving a 'point' from it is a silly notion. The show has more of a system of each symbol being a particular point, regardless of where you are. So for another galaxy it would be the same 'point', just translated into the other galaxy.
    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by Kastro187420
      What im wondering is, all the symbols on the DHD are suppose to be Star Constillations right?And the wormhole I guess you could say "Bounces" off of each one creating a sort of Map to the next planet...

[...]

I mean afterall, if the Wormhole "bounces" from constillation to constillation, and those Constillations are in other Galaxies,

[...]

Im basing this whole Symbol-Constillation connection off of the Stargate Movie when Daniel figured out what the Symbols on the gate were when he looked at that News Paper.
      Actually, according to Daniel in the movie, the wormhole didn't bounce off the constillations, but went to a destination that was located at the crosspoint of 3 lines in 3D space.

---

I do see the point you are trying to make, as this has bugged me as well. It is assumed throughout the show that with every world they go to, they use the same address to get back home (with a change in the POO, if you believe that they dial it, some do, some don't), basically the address they used to get home from Abydos. In the movie, they did point out that the constilations on the Abydos gate were different than Earth's because they were constillations from Abydos' POV, and it would make sense that this is true for each of the other gates as well. With this in mind, then each gate would have its own set of 38 different constillations as well, and Earths return address would be different on every planet. Now that would be a headache to figure out each time. And as for a point in a different galaxy, then yes, that would be a point in the center of 6 totally different constilations that are native to that galaxy, and thuse could not be dialed from anywhere in the MW.

From all the evidence I have seen in the show and movie, especially with the introduction of the 8th symbol "address area code", I think the constilations are more of a code sequence to dial the destination more than the literal "the destination is at the center of these 6 points" theory. Consider it a gate phone number if you will, but instead of (7) base 10 digits (like our phone numbers), the gates use (6) base 38 digits, represented as star constilations. Each address points to a different region of space or star system in the local galaxy. Thus the stellar drift calculation programs compute where these planets/systems/regions are now compared to 2000 years ago, and adjust the address accordingly. This would make it a easier and more universal system to carry from gate to gate in the whole galaxy, and all symbols remain the same, even though they don't appear that way in the night sky of every planet. Then the 8th symbol would be an area code to another galaxy, instead of "where does a 7th point come in to the scheme where only 6 are needed?" question. Each galaxy would have its own set of addresses (since Atlantis seems to have different ones).

I would think that the SGC knows this fact to be true by now, especially Carter. She programmed the F-302 to fly to Abydos by inserting the gate address to get there, and she would know that there is no way to use 7 symbols to plot out the crossing of 3 lines when 6 is all that is needed. Plus when you think about the address as being the cross of the constilations, it is pretty difficult getting 3 lines to cross at the same exact point when all you have is 38 endpoints to use.

Is it a plot hole? Most likely, but as with everything else, it is fun to try to rethink things in radical and cool new ways to make it all work out in my mind, and this is one of them. (Along with my theory on how their perspective of Entropic Cascade failure is not quite what is really happening when they cross AU's.)

Okay enough ranting for me. Can anyone else add anything?

Steve

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention the problem with the Giza gate being brought in from a different world. The symbols are from Earth's night sky, yet the gate is from a different world where the sky would be different.

Heh... someone posted while i was proofreading...lol

Steve

Comment

I think they scrapped the idea of the symbols as constellation just never mentioned it.
          Last edited by AscendedWarrior; 27 January 2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightCrusader
            Oh and I forgot to mention the problem with the Giza gate being brought in from a different world. The symbols are from Earth's night sky, yet the gate is from a different world where the sky would be different.

Heh... someone posted while i was proofreading...lol

Steve
            When did they mention that. The Giza gate was the first gate I thought.
            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
              When did they mention that. The Giza gate was the first gate I thought.
              The Gate in Antartica was older than the one in Giza.

Comment

i think RA brought the giza gate in, the antartic gate was probably used by the ancients.

Comment

Thats what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedWarrior
                    Thats what they say.
                    whos "they"

i believe the ancients used the antartic gate because they built the outpost with it. and several million years ago would mean antartica was very habitable. I think Ra brought the giza gate because it is in the middle of a desert that may have been an ocean millions of years ago when the ancients were there

Comment

They show it in flashbacks from when the ancents lived. Like in the pilot for atlantis. By they i mean TPTB.
                      Last edited by AscendedWarrior; 28 January 2006, 10:09 AM.

Comment

antarctic gate is oldest. prolly one of or maybe the first gate built by the alterrans.

if ya seen the altantis (pegasus') dhd the symbols are completely different

Comment

Working...
                        X