This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZPM Tiped Megaxplosives - Idea from SG1 8x04 - Zero Hour

Ok guys, I just realized something while watching Zero hour again. Do you guys remember when Camulus was trading a ZPM for his freedom however upon discovery by Dr.Lee, they found that the ZPM was rigged to explode.

They estimated that if they induced an electric current to the rigged ZPM that it would destroy the entire universe (I'm not sure if they said galaxy or not).

In the epsiode, they took a small microscopic piece of the ZPM was charged it. It exploded. What if they used 1gram? Probably blow up Shianne mountain (sp?).

We keep on talking about the Wraith blocking our nukes from being beamed aboard, and some has talked about things such as hyperspace missiles to beaming a nuke along side to the wraith ship. With the hyperspace missile, its defnitely clear that its complex to build and cost way too much. With the nuke along side the ship, its possible that it won't destroy but probably damage the wraith ships horribly.

It would be great to see just a small capsule encased with a small amount of the ZPM's casing, enduced to a charge enough to blow anything close to the capsule. It would cost little to nothing to build, and probably give alot of ammunation to us.
    Subspace Energy Technology Thread
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

good idea. they should use zpm tipped rounds

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift
      Ok guys, I just realized something while watching Zero hour again. Do you guys remember when Camulus was trading a ZPM for his freedom however upon discovery by Dr.Lee, they found that the ZPM was rigged to explode. They estimated that if they induced an electric current to the rigged ZPM that it would destroy the entire universe (I'm not sure if they said galaxy or not).
      Dr. Lee said it could have destroyed the planet. Carter said, later in the episode, that she thought Dr. Lee was wrong and that it could have destroyed the entire solar system.

Originally posted by McSwift
      In the epsiode, they took a small microscopic piece of the ZPM was charged it. It exploded. What if they used 1gram? Probably blow up Shianne mountain (sp?).
      It WAS NOT the ZPM casing by itself that was explosive. Camulus had laced it with "a substance foreign to what we know to be the normal molecular make-up of a Z.P.M". They scraped some of that off the ZPM and detonated it.

And while that explosive may or may not be more powerful than anything we have right now, it's not something we can use as super bombs. Because it was the charged ZPM exploding that would have caused the big boom, not the stuff Camulus laced the ZPM with. That ZPM was only laced with it so that once someone tried to use it, electricity started flowing through it, the ZPM would detonate.
      Last edited by Antaeogo; 24 January 2006, 01:08 AM.

Comment

No, it was the substance on the zpm. It was that they tested. They have never said a zpm explosion will release its stored energy.

Comment

I remember an episode where Cassandra first came and she had 2 mixed substances in her body which could cause a major explosion (also only a microscopic fraction). Haven't seen that around too...

(We have still that ZPM lying around, maybe the Asgard can fix it?)

Comment

I think that was naquadah and Lithium
            sigpic

Comment

I'm fairly convinced that there's better to do with ZPMs than use them as bombs.

Our biggest nuclear warheads enhanced with naqahdria and eventually equipped with very short range hyperdrives would do wonders and would plain enough.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

In "Zero Hour," the ZPM was lined with a substance that was intended to make the ZPM blow up if anyone tried to use it. The resulting explosion would be very, very big. It was not the explosion caused by the substance that would be big...it was the explosion of the ZPM.

The two elements in Cassie's heart were naquadah and potassium.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

LEE: We were gonna send it to Antarctica! Look, can you imagine if someone had taken it and plugged it into the chair in the Ancient outpost? I-I can’t even imagine the magnitude of the explosion. A charged ZPM detonating that – I don’t know, I mean, it could have destroyed the whole planet.

The zpm would only detonated the substance it wouldn't explode.

Comment

So sent the ZPM to Atlantis and have it rigged ready to act as a self destruct.

Guaranteed that the Wraith can get nothing outta the database after that

(or we could ask the Asgard to fix the ZPM of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
                      (or we could ask the Asgard to fix the ZPM of course)
                      I still don't know why we haven't done that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchmega
                        (We have still that ZPM lying around, maybe the Asgard can fix it?)
                        I don't think the Asguard have proven to be helpful with anything Ancient so far. Really the only thing is removing the Ancient Knowledge from O'neill's mind...twice.

The tampered ZPM could be used as a last resort on Atlantis. If they figure out how to remote control a jumper (which, if I remember correctly, they couldn't last time), they could just have the ZPM in the cockpit. If the jumper reaches a Hive ship, bang, bye bye Hive ships, bye bye Atlantis (effectively cutting off the Wraith from the Milky Way anyway), or if it gets shot to pieces, same result.

chem

Comment

Was it the substance on the ZPM that caused the explosive effect? Why not create more of the substance on that particular ZPM and use it as a weapon.

I doubt the Asgard is capable of reverting the effects, and why bother? The risk of blowing up yourself and everyone in the solar system is way too high for the potential good outcomes that could come out of using the ZPM. Besides the ZPM was about 50%, and sure that would give us the ability to either run the shileds and systems longer on atlantis, to using the weapons platform on Earth, it would be only good for the use of defense.

An offensive weapon would be nice to have against the wraith for instance. Our crappy Rail guns do jack all to Wraith Hiveships. Personally I would trade a ZPM for weapons capable of destorying anyone I want.

Is everyone sure that it wasn't the ZPM casing, but was some substance on the ZPM. I clearly thought that it was the ZPM casing (which is known to be the atomic makeup of the ZPM) that does this.

Besides, they only used a little bit, even an addition of this ZPM with some of our "Gate Buster" aka Naquadria bombs would be devestating against a hive ship.
                          Subspace Energy Technology Thread
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

Does any one know why a charged ZPM only at 50% can blow up the solar system but
                            Spoiler:
                            Acturus which was supposed to be the equivelent of 25 ZPM's only blow up three quarters of a solar system when it went boom

Comment

You mean the weapon from trinity? You maybe need to have it on for a longer period to get to maximum effect, now it exploded quite fast before reaching max effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X