This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tau'ri weapon proposal: Particle accelerators

Now apparantly in the Stargate universe they've used alien tech to create railguns, weapons which in real life are still on the drawing board. But what about particle accelerators? The SGC have sufficient power sources, the SGC has pfobably gained the knowledge from allies on particle physics for driving the ion engines on Earth ships, and finally it seems an efficent weapon; particles accelerated at near-light-speeds that carry so much energy they can cause their target to explod on contact.
    You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
    And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

theyve already used a particle accelerator in 100 days and in redemption...dunno why they havent ourseude it as a viable weapon.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

I thought i remember reading somewhere that some battle ships today have rail guns onboard?

I would like to see the use of particle accelerators or some kind of beam weapon on ships but im not sure they're really all that powerful yet, i suspect what they have atm only can cause a bit of damage over a long period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra
        Now apparantly in the Stargate universe they've used alien tech to create railguns, weapons which in real life are still on the drawing board.
        That's what they want us to think. When the F-117 was first seen people thought it was a flying saucer, later turned out the USAF had been developing it for years...

Comment

Haven't they built railguns yet? I thought the power consumption was to big for high speeds, so they need to figure out how to make projectiles go faster with lesser energy requirements.

Comment

so, a railgun is a particle accelerator?

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
            24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
            Both heavily admined.

Comment

Yes, kind of. In a railgun you use magnets to fire bullets, particle accelerator uses magnets to fire small particles at high speeds.

Comment

so wouldnt a rail gun be more powerfull, perhap the rail gun is an extention to using the particle accelerators in earlier seasons...and not an asgard intervention like we assumed.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                11000! green me

Comment

I think it depends on what your shooting at and armor and so on. A railgun deals lots of kinetic damage, while a fast moving particle will go throght most material and heat it up, like when sokar tried to destroy earths gate.

Comment

couldnt we do both? use an alternating system of particles and pellets and fire 1 pellet or 3 pellets then a particle to go straight through?
                    sigpic
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                      so wouldnt a rail gun be more powerfull, perhap the rail gun is an extention to using the particle accelerators in earlier seasons...and not an asgard intervention like we assumed.
                      Railguns aren't all that useful versus larger ships with sheilds. But a particle accelerator, with enough energy behind it (and assumingly they would with naquadah generators) would e powerful enough to wear and tear at enemy sheilds and blow big, effective holes in it's hull. It's an alternative to the slow missiles.

I'd like the Writers touch on other theoretical weaponry, like mass drivers.

Comment

perhaps they will, i mean they have stated they like exploring the contriversies of science and science fiction...mass driver?
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                          perhaps they will, i mean they have stated they like exploring the contriversies of science and science fiction...mass driver?
                          It's a gauss weapon like a railgun. It uses a large coil to create a magnetic field to drive along the progectile, which can either be very big or can even carry explosives. Smaller versions more like railguns are called coilguns, and I can see them being used on F-302's.

Comment

the US government keeps a lot of crap secret from us

Comment

I read an article in Popular Science about the future of warfare. The concept was like this: A railgun is mounted on an all-electric destroyer. The railguns accelerate nonexplosive projectiles to mach 7. (You can find some of this in Navy magazine advertisements)
                              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                              The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                              A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                              That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                              Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                              Caboose: They could be worse?
                              Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                              X