This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The civilization that created the replicators

I've been toying with the idea that the replicators needed to involve more advanced technology than the human civilization that created them currently understood.

a) Kiron particles were well beyond the Asgards understanding of physics so how does Reese obtain the knowledge of Kiron particles from a human civilization probably more primitive than the Asgard.
    b) If the human civilization understood the physics of kiron particles, they'd likely understand how to use it against the Replicators. I don't think we've been shown any AI where the AI conquers their organic masters other than the Replicators.
    c) If the Replicators acquired the technology later on, possibly through gate travel or when in contact with the Asgard, the Replicators could have been communicating through regular radio waves. All electric devices could be flooded and crashed though by the same radio frequency that the communicate at. The human civilization could have just nuked the atmosphere and let the electromagnetic pulse overload the replicators if they were originally using electric circuits. The analog would be exactly what Atlantis did to the hot zone virus.

So I'm speculating that the human civilization found out some alien relic from an even more advanced civilization (possibly the Ancients) through either their own stargate program or on their homeworld. The alien relic allowed the civilization to create an AI possibly as a conduit to extract the database in the alien relic. Reese creates the Replicators and because the physics is way beyond the human civilization, they're wiped out because they don't understand the physics of the Replicators.

maybe they were like the tollan.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
      So I'm speculating that the human civilization found out some alien relic from an even more advanced civilization (possibly the Ancients) through either their own stargate program or on their homeworld. The alien relic allowed the civilization to create an AI possibly as a conduit to extract the database in the alien relic. Reese creates the Replicators and because the physics is way beyond the human civilization, they're wiped out because they don't understand the physics of the Replicators.
      that makes sense, but we are yet to see the ancients use AI in any of their systems (on atlantis etc.), maybe the ancients once made a repicater-like project, that went bad and then decided against AI...

Comment

I've been toying with the idea that the replicators needed to involve more advanced technology than the human civilization that created them currently understood.

a) Kiron particles were well beyond the Asgards understanding of physics so how does Reese obtain the knowledge of Kiron particles from a human civilization probably more primitive than the Asgard.
        b) If the human civilization understood the physics of kiron particles, they'd likely understand how to use it against the Replicators. I don't think we've been shown any AI where the AI conquers their organic masters other than the Replicators.
        c) If the Replicators acquired the technology later on, possibly through gate travel or when in contact with the Asgard, the Replicators could have been communicating through regular radio waves. All electric devices could be flooded and crashed though by the same radio frequency that the communicate at. The human civilization could have just nuked the atmosphere and let the electromagnetic pulse overload the replicators if they were originally using electric circuits. The analog would be exactly what Atlantis did to the hot zone virus.

I always assumed the Replicators having a higher level of technology than the Asgard was due to them taking technology, and reverse engineering it far faster than the Asgard could. It'd make sense if that happened on their homeworld too, with the Replicators absorbing EVERY single piece of advanced technology, incorporating it, and becoming immune to anything that could damage them. They would outhink any strategies the humans could have come up with.
        There needs to be a replicator smilie, by the way
        A million monkeys were given a million typewriters. It's called the internet.

Comment

Actually your totally wrong about the Asgard not knowing anything about Kiron particles. They knew plenty about it. It was only Carter from primitive Earth that didn't. The Replicators were made by the Android Reese, who was herself made by a fairly advanced race of humans. The Replicators proceeded to destroy that civilization and then when the Asgard came to investigate, they naively beamed several replicators aboard for study. The Replicators then proceeded to devour and absorb the Asgard's own technology against them, and continued to do so with every other advanced race they encountered. As they continued replicating each generation became more and more advanced than the last, until they eventually evolved into the Human-form Replicators.

Had the Asgard simply tried to destroy the Replicators when they were first encountered rather than study them, they never would have been a threat to anyone. The first generation of Replicators were relatively unsophisticated compared to the Asgard technology. It was only after they began absorbing it into their design that they became even more dangerous. The Asgard could have finished them off easily, but they made the critical mistake of underestimating the Replicators.
          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Yep, same as the Tollans with the Goa'ulds.

Hopefully the Asgards learned their lesson and won't make the mistake again..

Comment

I think the replicator construction always involved Kiron particals, but its possible that the tech was actually developed by Reese from a combination of the humans tech that created her. However even if you understood exactly how they worked it doesn't necessarily mean you can identify such an inherent weakness. The ancient disruptor was far more advanced and capable of reducing all matter to elemental form but just happened to be adaptable enough to work only on the replicators.
              They maybe also obtained tech from other races other than the asgard before being discoved by them since they were able to modify the asgards tech beyond their understanding. The replicaors could perhaps have been the superior military power that defeated the Gadmire civilisation.
              As was said tho it is entirely possible that Reeses construction was made possible by advanced tech found by the Humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Master
                I think the replicator construction always involved Kiron particals, but its possible that the tech was actually developed by Reese from a combination of the humans tech that created her. However even if you understood exactly how they worked it doesn't necessarily mean you can identify such an inherent weakness. The ancient disruptor was far more advanced and capable of reducing all matter to elemental form but just happened to be adaptable enough to work only on the replicators.
                They maybe also obtained tech from other races other than the asgard before being discoved by them since they were able to modify the asgards tech beyond their understanding. The replicaors could perhaps have been the superior military power that defeated the Gadmire civilisation.
                As was said tho it is entirely possible that Reeses construction was made possible by advanced tech found by the Humans.
                About the Gadmeer civilization... While technically possible I suppose, I highly doubt it. The Gadmeer civilization had been dead for thousands of years, which I believe was long before the Replicators were even created. It could have been the Goa'uld, or even another alien race we've not yet encountered.
                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                  About the Gadmeer civilization... While technically possible I suppose, I highly doubt it. The Gadmeer civilization had been dead for thousands of years, which I believe was long before the Replicators were even created. It could have been the Goa'uld, or even another alien race we've not yet encountered.
                  You are right. It was the Furling. They made her to look like a human because they think of us as nothin. but pets. Like pet robots.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Actually your totally wrong about the Asgard not knowing anything about Kiron particles. They knew plenty about it. It was only Carter from primitive Earth that didn't. The Replicators were made by the Android Reese, who was herself made by a fairly advanced race of humans. The Replicators proceeded to destroy that civilization and then when the Asgard came to investigate, they naively beamed several replicators aboard for study. The Replicators then proceeded to devour and absorb the Asgard's own technology against them, and continued to do so with every other advanced race they encountered. As they continued replicating each generation became more and more advanced than the last, until they eventually evolved into the Human-form Replicators.
                    I'm going to disagree. We know a lot about muons and taus but it doesn't mean we have any technology based on those particles. From a particle physics perspective, the Asgard could have discovered Kiron particles through particle physics but it doesn't mean they had any knowledge of implementing Kiron particles into their technology and it was clearly implied that it was beyond the Asgard's reach in s4 Small Victories. The replicators feed on other technology, but the Asgard didn't have Kiron based technology at that point. And even if the Replicators did feed off of the Asgard technology, we're still left that they should have been countered by the EM shockwaves through their civilization by nuking the atmosphere. If they didn't develop Kiron based communication until meeting the Asgard, the human civilization could have countered them. The only possible way for the Replicators to win is if they inherited Kiron technology at their conception.

Comment

I wish the writers would use the Gadmeer story arc. There's been some speculation that the Nox and Asgard are branch evolutions of Ancients/Ori which just makes the series bland if every alien race has a common ancestor. The Gadmeer teleportation technology is equal to the Asgard but they are not associated with the Ancients. A story arc which isn't connected to the Ancients would be a breath of fresh air. Even the mysterious Furlings are still associated with the Ancients.

Comment

I'm going to disagree. We know a lot about muons and taus but it doesn't mean we have any technology based on those particles. From a particle physics perspective, the Asgard could have discovered Kiron particles through particle physics but it doesn't mean they had any knowledge of implementing Kiron particles into their technology and it was clearly implied that it was beyond the Asgard's reach in s4 Small Victories. The replicators feed on other technology, but the Asgard didn't have Kiron based technology at that point. And even if the Replicators did feed off of the Asgard technology, we're still left that they should have been countered by the EM shockwaves through their civilization by nuking the atmosphere. If they didn't develop Kiron based communication until meeting the Asgard, the human civilization could have countered them. The only possible way for the Replicators to win is if they inherited Kiron technology at their conception.
                        There was no implication of any kind in Small Victories. The Asgard never said anything about not understanding how Kiron particles worked. It was only Carter who didn't understand, because it was a physics level beyond that reach by Earth. In fact, Thor was getting ready to explain to exactly how they worked, when Carter interupted him. Anyway, you have nothing on which to base your assumption that the Asgard didn't have Kiron-based technology when they found the Replicators. Where do you get that idea? It was never even suggested. Your making a lot of assumptions where none are warranted.

What do you mean if the Replicators fed off of the Asgard technology? If you know anything about Replicators that shouldn't even be in question. Also, your notion that the Replicators should've been able to be destroyed by an EM pulse before they encountered the Asgard is completely bogus. Any civilization capable of producing something like Reese, would most certainly have invented EM Hardened technology. Hell... we have it now, in real life. That's even assuming that Reese's civilization even got the chance to try it. The likelyhood is that they spread so suddenly and so fast, those people never had a chance to try anything at all. Even if Reese's people had tried a Nuclear Explosion w/ it's EM pulse, that would still be no guarantee that it would have stopped them. An EM pulse has a limited effective range, and by the time Reese's people would've had a chance to try it, the Replicators would have spread to such a wide scope as to make such a tactic useless.

In anycase, I never suggested that Reese's people didn't know about Kiron particle-based technology. If they could create Reese with nanite repair cells, it seems reasonable that they might have been advanced enough to have discovered Kirons. Don't think humans are incapable of reaching technologies comparable to the Asgard on their own. The Tollan were a perfect example. They were an extremely advanced civilization of humans who were very likely aware of Kiron particles. They had a full understanding of Quantum Physics, that far surpassed our own.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

I wish the writers would use the Gadmeer story arc. There's been some speculation that the Nox and Asgard are branch evolutions of Ancients/Ori which just makes the series bland if every alien race has a common ancestor. The Gadmeer teleportation technology is equal to the Asgard but they are not associated with the Ancients. A story arc which isn't connected to the Ancients would be a breath of fresh air. Even the mysterious Furlings are still associated with the Ancients.
                          There may have been speculation, but not even a spoken hint of the possibility on any Stargate episode. It is true, that both are humanoid, and bear strong resemblence to human beings (the Asgard even more so in there unevolved state, though still very different) physically... but then so do many other alien races, in that they are humanoid shaped. The Gadmeer are also humanoid except they have very large tails, and live in an extremely different environment. The Unas have a humanoid shape, but they have no relation to the Ancients either. The same could be said of a dozen other alien races encountered by SG1. The humanoid shape is useful for any intelligent being. Having apendages that allow for manipulation of things (arms and hands), allow for the use of tools, while walking upright frees them up for use all the time, rather than having to stop to do so. The only reason the Asgard, the Nox, and the Furlings were associated with the Ancients, is because they had an Alliance together a long time ago. Sort of like NATO, or something. Or maybe even what Dr. Littlefield suggested, a UN of the stars. But that was it. The Nox, and Asgard were just contemporaries of the Ancients, not some branch of the Alterran race.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

The Replicators were made by the Android Reese, who was herself made by a fairly advanced race of humans. The Replicators proceeded to destroy that civilization and then when the Asgard came to investigate, they naively beamed several replicators aboard for study.
                            According to Thor:
                            Originally posted by Nemesis Pt. I
                            They were discovered on an isolated planet in our home galaxy some years ago. Their creators were not present.
                            Reese was found in the Milky Way. The Replicators were found in the Asgard galaxy. Of course I'm sure you can explain how they got there...
                            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                              Reese was found in the Milky Way. The Replicators were found in the Asgard galaxy. Of course I'm sure you can explain how they got there...
                              The most likely explanation, is a case of "writer's snafu". However, (why is that we always make excuses for those guys with off the wall explanatations to cover for their screw-ups?? ) Maybe... just maybe... Uh, I got nothing. It was never explained how they got from the Milky Way to the galaxy of Ida. The Asgard "found them on an isolated planet", and they'd been raising hell since. Thor also mentioned that their creators were not with them, to which Teal'c surmised that the creators had probably been destroyed by their own creation. So... how they got from the Milky Way to Ida... without having even eaten the Stargate on their homeworld... not a clue. Except for... WRITER's SNAFU..!!! LOL
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X