This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the P90?!?

Okay so I have watched almost evrey season of SG1 and I have a burning question... Why the P90 as SG1's weapon of chocie??? The FN-90 is a PDW: Personal Defence Weapon designed for heli / fighter pilots to use in case of being shot down. Also the SEALS have tried them out for close quarter engagements and they perform okay in that role. But as a spec ops "do all" gun they dont make much sense. The P90, while fairly accurate in short range encounters loses accuracy quickly over range, shich is why its meant for close quarters only. I almost laugh every time I see Jack snipe a Jaffa from a distance with the P90. Id think the M4 SOPMOD would make more sense, as its more customizable and accurate. 4x scope + M230A1 nade launcher are nice addons. Most other SG teams use the MP5 or M4 SOPMOD, so why does SG1 always use the P90!!!

Originally posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi
    Okay so I have watched almost evrey season of SG1 and I have a burning question... Why the P90 as SG1's weapon of chocie??? The FN-90 is a PDW: Personal Defence Weapon designed for heli / fighter pilots to use in case of being shot down. Also the SEALS have tried them out for close quarter engagements and they perform okay in that role. But as a spec ops "do all" gun they dont make much sense. The P90, while fairly accurate in short range encounters loses accuracy quickly over range, shich is why its meant for close quarters only. I almost laugh every time I see Jack snipe a Jaffa from a distance with the P90. Id think the M4 SOPMOD would make more sense, as its more customizable and accurate. 4x scope + M230A1 nade launcher are nice addons. Most other SG teams use the MP5 or M4 SOPMOD, so why does SG1 always use the P90!!!
    Because it looks really really cool.

Besides their pilots so they have a pilot PDW.... now when teal'c carries one it just looks silly.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

True, it does look silly.

But, P-90's are Gods gift to mankind....Or so Stargate would you have you believe.
      (No, no arguments, with or against, just a random statement)

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

from http://www.archaeologics.com/Forensics-DtoH/FN_P90.php (aka, the gun looks cool.

Popular culture
        The P90 is an instantly recognizable weapon that has made numerous appearances in fiction:
        • The television shows Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, as their standard-issue firearm
        • The 2003 re-imagined television series of Battlestar Galactica
        • Tactical FPS computer games such as Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six, Stargate: The Alliance and Far Cry
        • Metal Gear Solid 2, as the firearm used by Tengu soldiers and Solidus Snake aboard Arsenal Gear.
        • Metal Gear Ac!d, where it can be used as an area attack weapon by Teilko and Solid Snake.
        • The anime Gunslinger Girl, as Henrietta's primary weapon
        • GoldenEye 007, as the RC-P90, Xenia's submachine gun
        • Perfect Dark, as the RCP-120
        • The Fallout universe, as the P90c
        • Matthew Reilly's book Area 7, as the weapon of the 7th Special Operation Group
        • In 3000 Miles to Graceland, Hamilton (Ice-T) uses akimbo P90s
        • The Doom film shows a P90 on a promotional poster

As I recall, the M16 was used extensively in the beginning but then the Iraq war came along and it became more difficult to get ammo. Something like that. So basically, real soldiers need 'em more than pretend soldiers.

See
        http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/m16-iraq.htm
        for more details on weapons usage in Iraq by the US military.

Comment

I thought it became more difficult to get ammo for the P90 so they had that made up weapon (Sam special) for Carter in Avenger 2.0... I think they talk about it on that commentary.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Why the P-90? Why not?

Comment

mp5s were used by sg1 at first.

they use p90s cuz sg1 is the "first contact" team thus no need for more firepower. but the p90 isn't weak by any means

Comment

Originally posted by BigGator5
                Why the P-90? Why not?
                Yeah, it just looks cool.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about, HirogenGater. I took on a saying: "Why ask why, when how is so much more fun..."

I personally didn't even know that the P-90 was a real gun, until a few weeks ago. I thought it was invented for the show, because of the episode "The Warrior".

Comment

I have fired a P-90 and a MP5 and the P-90 is more acurate and it didn't jam on me. The P90 also is small and compact and I had no problem hitting a target from a distance. Not only hitting a target but lighting it up to. The MP5 takes off on you and it sucks.
                    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

auto or legal semi?

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                        I have fired a P-90 and a MP5 and the P-90 is more acurate and it didn't jam on me. The P90 also is small and compact
                        that is the idea of a P-90, its fairly light weight, compact and is suppose to be quite hard to jam.

Comment

Its not like Counter-Strike (Sorry if you don't play but from the sound of it thats what your basing your comment on) . The P-90 is effective at range when not used on full auto. I'm pretty sure there is an episode where they explain this, and they do have military advisors so it aint likely to be made up.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                            that is the idea of a P-90, its fairly light weight, compact and is suppose to be quite hard to jam.

with that mag configuration it's really great that it doesn't

Comment

In addition to the P90, there may be a reason behind using the SS190 ammunition that it does. The 190 is designed as an armour piercing round, so it might have some extra use against Jaffa armour.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Working...
                              X