PDA

View Full Version : Zap2it.com - Rising Ratings

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 02:12 PM
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|89462|1|,00.html

The premiere got approx. 1 million more viewers than SG1 did, and made some other records. I expected this :) With the whole scifi mega promotion.

keshou
July 19th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Worth quoting....

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The premiere of "Stargate Atlantis," the spinoff of the Sci Fi Channel's popular "Stargate SG-1" series, delivered some of the best ratings in the network's history.

The two-hour series premiere on Friday (July 16) drew nearly 4.2 million viewers, the biggest-ever audience for a weekly series on the cable network. (Some miniseries, such as "Taken" and "Battlestar Galactica," have averaged more viewers.)

It also marked the first time a Sci Fi series has ever delivered more than 4 million viewers and better than a 3.0 household rating (3.2). Its ratings among adults 18-49, the key demographic for advertisers, were also a network best.

The show is a spinoff of "Stargate SG-1," which recently began its third season on Sci Fi and eighth overall. "SG-1" also set record ratings with its July 9 season premiere, which averaged 3.2 million viewers.

So 3.2 rating for Atlantis, 2.4 rating for SG-1's premiere. They must be very excited at Bridge studios. I can hear the corks popping from here. :D

Bagpuss
July 19th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Woo-Hoo for Stargate Atlantis ! :D
Surely no amount of hype would achieve that level of 4.2 Million Viewers, so they must have got, and kept, people's attention on their own merit ,IMO.
Of course,the figures may go down next ep ,but still a magnificent start. :cool:

Thanks for Posting the link,lmj . :D

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I agree fhb, the figures will most likely do that, but hey, season premieres, the midseason break and the season finales are the episodes that usually get into the record books anyway, haha...

Bagpuss
July 19th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I know,but I'm impressed by this start...and hopefully Sky will be keener to sign up and show Atlantis now. :D

I hope so,anyway . ;)

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure sky will, haha... :rolleyes:

Bagpuss
July 19th, 2004, 02:44 PM
I suppose I sound selfish really! :o
I want to see Atlantis go global actually, and be the best it can be (like SG-1).
Pretty hard if the TV companies don't commit themselves the way Sci-Fi have,IMO. ;)

Help ! I seem to have a megalomaniac streak after all...... :)

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I think Atlantis will probably, since SG1 is already a huge success 'globally', haha...

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I hope most that saw it enjoyed it, so that it wont drop to 1.7 next week.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 03:57 PM
that would be a big drop off, really depressing if it did :(

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I think a drop-off is to be expected. This was the series premiere, after all.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I think all series premieres get high ratings, if they don't, thats a sign for a show to be cancelled, haha, that is after a few episodes the show doesn't increase in ratings... :cool:

Bagpuss
July 19th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Lets just wait and see,Guys. No need for pessimism yet over Atlantis. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 04:27 PM
I still like SG1 better, haha, sorry just had to say that :)

Bagpuss
July 19th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Nothing wrong with liking one show over the other,lmj,personally I like both,but this Thread is about Atlantis ratings ! ;)

Let's wish both shows well ! :D

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Its still stargate related :) The article included SG1, haha... Ok :rolleyes:

Bagpuss
July 19th, 2004, 05:01 PM
LOL !! No probs,lmj,I wasn't having a go at you . :D
Just trying to keep myself on-topic really...and as you say,SG-1's Premiere was featured in the article too . ;)

Hooray for both Shows, and let's hope the ratings stay good ! :cool:

Off-Topic : I have to bid goodnight as it's now 2am....and oldies like me need to zonk out. ;) (I have no stamina.)

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Goodnight... :) Well this article could be mistooken as 'rising ratings' as in the ratings are rising, haha, that so funny :D Anywho, goodluck my two shows :)

Anthro Girl
July 19th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Woo-hoo! That's pretty cool! It's no wonder with the massive advertising blitz so I guess that paid off. It'll be interesting to see what the ratings are next week. I talked to a couple people at work today who do not watch SG-1, but they know I do. They watched Atlantis and generally liked it!

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Are you saying they didn't like SG1, but they liked Atlantis???

Anthro Girl
July 19th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Are you saying they didn't like SG1, but they liked Atlantis???
It's not really a matter of "like". Besides the fact that the high ratings are for a season premiere - which had better have generally high ratings - some people, like myself, don't want to get involved with a story so long down the line (i.e., Season 8) knowing that they're missing major backstory. I'm sure the SG-1 premiere gained some new viewers to the Stargate world. Some of them even posted here to say so. I'm just saying that Atlantis, being a new series, had the potential to gather even more new viewers because they could bank on a large percentage of the 2.4 rating from the SG-1 premiere to tune in. I have a feeling, however, that the high ratings for Atlantis exceeded expectations, which is great! :D

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Yah, i agree, but i guess i'm one of the few people who would jump into a series with great depth in the past, and try to figure things out, haha...

jagowar
July 20th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Yah, i agree, but i guess i'm one of the few people who would jump into a series with great depth in the past, and try to figure things out, haha...

Agree I personally know of 10 people who were first time stargate viewers for th e premiere because it was a new show and doesnt require that you knwo all the backstory since there really isnt any yet. They all plan to start watching SG1 but theyre not going to bother trying to catch up on 8 years at once.

Elwe Singollo
July 20th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't expect them to :D Cause yah, 8 years is alot to catch up on, haha...

morjana
July 21st, 2004, 09:33 AM
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|89462|1|,00.html

The premiere got approx. 1 million more viewers than SG1 did, and made some other records. I expected this :) With the whole scifi mega promotion.

Cool news!

Thanks for posting the info.

Also, more viewers may have tuned in because it's a brand new series.

It's a little daunting to tune into SG-1 as a new viewer, knowing that you're "breaking in" on the eighth season.

Hopefully, more will tune in to SG-1 as well.

Double their pleasure.

Morjana

Stargate Agent
July 22nd, 2004, 11:04 AM
If this keeps up Stargate could become a force to be reckoned with in the future of science fiction. Can't believe when I watched "Children of the Gods" all those years ago it would turn into this...