PDA

View Full Version : Bring In Manny Coto!

captain_kirk999
January 17th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I mean this as no offence to the writers of either Stargate show, but a new face and fresh ideas could really make Stargate even better. Manny Coto was brought in for the last season of Enterprise and wrote some amazing stories, it's just a shame it was too late to convince Paramount. He made the franchise worth watching again, so imagine what he could do for Stargate.

The writing for the show is already great, but if Manny Coto could write some episodes then it would be unmissable sci-fi

The Signal
January 17th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Personally i though Enterprise was okay UNTIL its last series. I also dont see any problems with the team ATM

Dave C
January 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I totally disagree S4 of Enterprise was a major dissapointment compared to S3

one of the best additions of this year looks to be Alan McCulloch to the sg-1 writing staff, new, younger writers with little to no sci-fi experience would be a great as they bring fresh ideas rather than what would be rehashed star trek stories

Vyse
January 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Manny Coto is busy with 24 right now. He is a great writer and has a great team. S4 of ENT was the the great season of ENT, seasons 1-3 were dreadful.

MediaSavant
January 17th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Manny Coto is busy with 24 right now. He is a great writer and has a great team. S4 of ENT was the the great season of ENT, seasons 1-3 were dreadful.

...and I doubt he'd step down from one of the most prominent shows on TV on a major network to do a cable show again.

shockwave
January 17th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Manny Coto is a Trek fan, don't know if he's a sg fan

season 4 of enterprise was the best. Most of the bad things of it are because of B&B (like nazi aliens, TATV).

AGateFan
January 18th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Manny Coto is a Trek fan, don't know if he's a sg fan

season 4 of enterprise was the best. Most of the bad things of it are because of B&B (like nazi aliens, TATV).
See, Nazi aliens... how does any professional writer think THATS a good idea? Seriously?

Auralis
January 19th, 2006, 12:45 AM
That you have to ask beavis and butthead, it was their idea,
to quote, "Because nazis are cool."
NFC

sparkie
January 24th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Some arc's in season 4 were good but others really, really sucked. That whole Nazi plot really blew the show for me. There I was on the edge of my seat at the end of season 3 and then what...pure dissapointment.

shockwave
January 25th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Nazi crap and TATV is from Berman and Braga. They wrote the season 3 finale, and wrote the nazi aliens in as a WTF. Manny Coto had to get out of this crap. The final episode, one of the most hated eps, is also from Berman and Braga

Hatcheter
January 25th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I always try to bring up in "writer" threads that the franchise already has eight writers on staff, two of whom are new this year (Alan McCullough and Carl Binder). Nine, if you want to count Peter DeLuise, even though he didn't have any scripts to his name during S9/S2.

The other writers are Brad Wright, Robert Cooper, Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Damian Kindler, and Martin Gero. Gero was hired on during the first season of SGA.

Konrad9
January 27th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Nazi crap and TATV is from Berman and Braga. They wrote the season 3 finale, and wrote the nazi aliens in as a WTF. Manny Coto had to get out of this crap. The final episode, one of the most hated eps, is also from Berman and Braga

The final episode was the Terra Prime stuff, the "Enterprise series finale" was infact a TNG episode.
I thought season 4 was much better than the rest of the seasons, mostly because it was finally maturing and the actors finally comfortable etc etc.
While I'm sure he'd be able to help SG1, they just 'recently' got some new blood, so let's let them try it out first : )

Mefusta
January 27th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I
The other writers are Brad Wright, Robert Cooper, Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Damian Kindler, and Martin Gero. Gero was hired on during the first season of SGA.
Not to mention the occaisional contributions of one Chris Judge...

Frankly, the writing seems fine as it is - minus the unusually frequent missteps on Atlantis recently - without bringing in a writer who's obvious expertise is Trek.

Dutch_Razor
January 27th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Those aliens were fun, and ENT S4 was the best of ENT imo.

sg1_david
January 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Star Trek. Successful for nearly 40 years. New idiot producer brought in. Show dies.
Stargate. Successful for over 10 years. Let's not, eh?

if Star Trek is Manny Coto's expertise i'd hate to see what he's bad at

prion
January 27th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I mean this as no offence to the writers of either Stargate show, but a new face and fresh ideas could really make Stargate even better. Manny Coto was brought in for the last season of Enterprise and wrote some amazing stories, it's just a shame it was too late to convince Paramount. He made the franchise worth watching again, so imagine what he could do for Stargate.

The writing for the show is already great, but if Manny Coto could write some episodes then it would be unmissable sci-fi

Hmm, although I wholeheartedly agree they need new writing blood (thank god for Carl Binder on SGA - hope he writes more than the others do), I can't say I'd like to see anybody from Trek on the show. HEck, the writers are already ripping off old Trek plots....

Which ENTERPRISES did he write? Hopefully not the Xinto season, which actually made me quit watching the show.

sg1_david
January 27th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Coto was in charge of the final season [post-Xindi saga]. Only good parts were the first three episodes (Storm Front I & II and Home) and the final three (the Terra Prime two parter, These Are The Voyages) and possibly the Arik Soong story. He turned the show into a TOS tribute, leaving us with just 3 episodes that werent part of his pathetic vision for Trek (apparently to have every episode be a tribute to the original series..)
How anyone can worship Coto is beyond me, he single handedly brought down a 40 year franchise.

shockwave
January 28th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Storm front parts 1 and 2 (which are just wrapping up B&B crap) are seen as one of the worst eps, as well as These Are The Voyages (another B&B crap). TATV is even considered not canon by many fans.

ItsColdOutside
January 28th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Star Trek. Successful for nearly 40 years. New idiot producer brought in. Show dies.
Stargate. Successful for over 10 years. Let's not, eh?

if Star Trek is Manny Coto's expertise i'd hate to see what he's bad at

Oh, come on!

Seriously, Enterprise was doing horribly already when he came in, they decided to give it another year and then extend if it did amazingly well. Despite some really good stuff, the audience just didn't come back, many of them not willing to give it another chance after three years of inconsistent characterization, ridiculous stunts (Temporal Cold War(!), nazi aliens were revealed at the end of S.3), no development of so-called main characters (Hoshi, Travis, and to a great extent Reed), and in general lackluster episodes.

New producer comes in, produces what are considered by fans some of the best episodes of the series, and tries to clean up the mess that B&B have made of the series. Doesn't do enough to draw fans to a third-rate wrestling-reliant network that doesn't really care about promoting it.

Show still gets canceled. Not Manny Coto's fault. It's not like anyone here is saying "Bring in Brannon Braga and pay him tens of millions."