This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were...

If you were creating your very own Sci-fi/fantasy series what would you want to do?

This could either be a completely original concept or a spin-off of an already existing franchise. You have the money and commitment from the TV station to create what ever you want (within FCC regulation and such of course (it could be on HBO with it´s more laid back rules ))

Do you go with an Earth based sci-fi show or a space based? A fantasty ala Buffy or Xena? Or perhaps something completely different?

I will post my own idea in detail later.

I've always wanted a series based off the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. It's been development with two different production companies (and at one time to be written by Ron Moore) but both times I got my hopes up problems developed and it was dropped. If I had money and creative control that's what I'd do.
    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

I've been building up an idea for a sci-fi show in my head for over a year now.....not sharing though.....someday it might happen.....

Comment

I would like to do a MechWarrior-type of sci-fi show. However, it would have to invovled 2 or 3 episode archs to do it any justice.

Comment

I would be doing it on HBO, or FX. It would be based on some of the stories I write. Anyways in the overall scheme of things it would be a show about war, and why we fight sort of thing just based in the universe I created. Though I would have alot of to be continued, and alot of the episodes would take place over battles, and a few relax, and what they do. Though I could make it a mini- series I don't know. It would never become a show because
          A. I am putting it on cable so I can have more freedom on the way I express what I am doing
          B. To have Sci-fi war scenes almost every episode would be a huge budget.
          C. It is a Sci-fi show.

Why those things relate. On cable I have a small audience, and then add Sci-fi I have made the aduince even narrower. Then the fact that the budget would be huge would make it impossible to produce. Also I would want good actors, not cable actors who are decent, but I would be doing alot of powerfull episodes.
          Last edited by captainpash; 16 January 2006, 11:36 AM.
          Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

I might take a couple of the stories I am writing and turn them into something. One has a man who travels into diferent Demenisions and is like an old testment Judge. He is called a protector. He even has battle armor.

The other is a fantasy in which a girl and her friends get trapped in an alternet world where only evil uses magic, and they have to have Faith in order to get themselves home.
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

My own personal preference would be to create a space based sci-fi show. It would of course be great to be able to have it on one of the networks but baring that I´d have it on HBO, that way I could use the real F word instead of making one up (Frell and Frag come to mind).

I´d want the series to be very brutal with events continually escalating until total war engulfs almost all of known space. The main characters would seem like they were the noble good guys at first but as the seasons progress it would be come subtely clear that they and humanity are the real war mongers and have caused things to get this bad.

It would have to be handled very carefully. As the show focuses on these people every scrap of information that the viewers gets would be colored by them. This would hopefully make people unaware that they are watching the ones who would be the villians in your typical Star Trek series.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
                My own personal preference would be to create a space based sci-fi show. It would of course be great to be able to have it on one of the networks but baring that I´d have it on HBO, that way I could use the real F word instead of making one up (Frell and Frag come to mind).

I´d want the series to be very brutal with events continually escalating until total war engulfs almost all of known space. The main characters would seem like they were the noble good guys at first but as the seasons progress it would be come subtely clear that they and humanity are the real war mongers and have caused things to get this bad.

It would have to be handled very carefully. As the show focuses on these people every scrap of information that the viewers gets would be colored by them. This would hopefully make people unaware that they are watching the ones who would be the villians in your typical Star Trek series.

I can't see a show like that lasting for very long. Not because its a bad idea, it sounds like a great idea, its just that if it were to be a long running show then eventually people would get sick of the whole escalating thing and once you've established the principle characters are actually the real badies where do you go from there? Of course I say this based on the limited information given above. Did you have any more background on the characters or the reason for this war.
                "I'm the greatest because I'm alive. That's it. Period.
                I'm not greedy. If I can catch a Goa'uld equipped with all kinds of fancy toys without risking my neck that's a damn good compromise."

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Boch
                  I can't see a show like that lasting for very long. Not because its a bad idea, it sounds like a great idea, its just that if it were to be a long running show then eventually people would get sick of the whole escalating thing and once you've established the principle characters are actually the real badies where do you go from there? Of course I say this based on the limited information given above. Did you have any more background on the characters or the reason for this war.
                  I´ve got a lot of that stuff, been thinking about this series for some time. It would be way to long a post to state everything but here is a simple synopses:

1. The show starts with a research ship (heavily armed as are all military ships in this world), it was sabotaged and as a result was stranded almost 6 months travel away from known space and was damaged. Along the way home they encounter several species, all less advanced but they speak of a race that is more advanced and preys on them. Near the end of season one they encounter a race that turns out to be this race. Unaware of this the crew establishes contact and on a visit to their ship one of the main characters is killed in a suspicious accident which leaves no body. The captain doesn´t buy that this was an accident and attacks the aliens and defeats three of their warships.

2. This crushing defeat by a "research ship" panicks the aliens (who´s phycology dictates that the strong prey on the weak). They make contact with the Sentient Alliance which is an alliance of weaker species who have banded together to represent a major force against the more militant or prolifik races (Humanity is the ultimate war machine in this world, other major players are: The Lithsilish Republic, The Gorn, The League, and The Ramish Empire). This creates suspicion in the captains mind as he knows that they aren´t the type to join. There is also some fallout over the fact that the captain had blown up three of the races ships but due to who the captain is he gets away with it without any real consiquences).

3. The second season would be filled with political intrigue as there is growing evidance in the eyes of the military that the senate is being bought by outside forces. The main issue of contention is the law which states that only those who willingly serve a term of thirty years in the armed forces are allowed to receive the most advanced life extension treatment available (it allows people to life for up to 400-500 years as opposed to the lesser which only grants a life span of around 200-220 years). This law has made it possible for the military to always have a large pool of extremely qualified applicants and has formed the very backbone of the Terran Imperium (which is the name of the empire). At first it´s suspected that the Sentient Alliance (SA) is behind this but it turns out that another race is behind it. This race is the manufacturer of the better life extension treatment and desire to increase their profits and reduce humanities military strength. At the end of the season two everything would be in place for a military uprising and the overthrowing of the senate.

4. Season three would start with military take over and would then lead quickly into a war being decleared with the race that was trying to bribe the senate. This war is easy to justify as the race practices many unsavory things, amonst which are genetically modifying other races into willing slaves. This war will be a huge success for the Terran Imperium until the SA decides that if humans conquer that race then they will become to strong. At first the SA only intends to act in a peacekeeper like capacity and try to bring about a truce. This doesn´t happen and a full scale war erupts between the SA and the TI (Terran Imperium). This war doesn´t look so good to the TI, the SA has a larger population, greater industrial infrastructure and more ships at it´s disposal. The only thing in TI´s favour is the superious commitment and capabilities of it´s fighting force. This happens near the end of season 3.

Season 4 would deal with this war mostly. As previously stated things would escalade and soon we have an almost total war situation where virtually everything goes, including orbital bombarments with WMD on civilian targets. The season would focus on the true nature of the captain and just how far he´s willing to go in order to ensure victory. It would be somewhere in this season most likely that the fact that he isn´t a good guy would start to become apperant, it wouldn´t be clearly stated at any time but should be obvious to any viewer who thinks about his actions.

As for more seasons I´d like a fifth season which would deal with the massive fallout of this war and how the Imperium copes in it´s wake. There would be no season six.

Hope this explaines how I view event´s. It´s a short summery of a much longer and more involved plotline but should explain the main thrust of the series.

Comment

I don't have a plot or even a solid idea but as for what I'd like to see/not see in a scifi series, that's based heavily on what I have seen and not liked as well as what I do like.

I wouldn't want a series to start with an apocalypse (Dark Angel, Water World, Mad Max etc.). It's hard to move on emotionally from the end of all things. I would however, like it to start with a major turning point in history where we're on the verge of something huge and life altering for everyone, preferrably on Earth. (like Earth the Final Conflict or the end of the movie: The Abyss)

The tone would be darker and more serious and much more risque, than much of what we've seen (BSG, Carnivale) but not so serious as to lack a sense of humor altogether. I just think it's important for things to matter and have long term effects and it should be established from the get-go that everyone has a near equal chance of dying/disappearing/injury etc. Therefore everyone is important. no red shirts.

I would prefer the tech stuff to be secondary to plotting and characters ie. It would be a character-driven story with long arcs, with a good balance of action and witty dialogue.

I think the type of scientific outlook determines the type of scifi show. It's not important to me to have absolutely flawless science but if I (average joan) can see through it then that's not going to work. That's one of the reasons I'd stick to the current era and base any technologcal marvels on the ideas the scientists and tech geeks are working on for practical use in the next few decades.

I would not want to see a merger of science and fantasy. ie. no after-life episodes, no discoveries that faeries and leprechauns were real creatures from another dimension.
                    No ghosts.
                    No prevalent psychic powers for no reason.
                    I would not want to see any episodes of time travel/dreaming where any character returns to any past war in human history.
                    I do not want to see any characters in history turning out to be evil aliens or being impersonated by evil aliens etc.

No sudden discovery that the Aliens did EVERYTHING. Or like in Seaquest, aliens suddenly appearing in an earth based scifi-series. Aliens are all good and well but so are we.

No evil mutants. No Evil shadowy government out to kill without logic. And no science experiments in which the risk outweighs the potential benefit and all the scientists are mad and the beaurocrats greedy. That pretty much means no one or two-dimensional people.

I think where I'm going with all these limitations is no obvious cliches. I'd rather let natural human behavior direct the show rather than show people what you think they expect and want to see. I don't need everything to be neatly tied up in every episode. A little mess is a good thing.

A show that's fun without being cheesy, like Stargate, smart and dark like BSG, creative in appearance and technology like Earth the Final Conflict, witty like Gilmore Girls, Character driven like Lost, and hopeful in its outlook like TNG while still being critical of humanity. That's my idea of perfect scifi.

geez... that's a whole lot more than I planned to say.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Discworld - no question.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Your ideas sound brilliant Wyrminarrd. I would love to hear more. Seeing how much you've put into this you must be devoted to this so I'd like to know, failing to have this aired as a TV show what other mediums would you consider for it to be published in? Where you planning to start any rough drafting work anytime soon or have you already?

If you tell me more you may even get to hear about my idea for a sci-fi show.
                        "I'm the greatest because I'm alive. That's it. Period.
                        I'm not greedy. If I can catch a Goa'uld equipped with all kinds of fancy toys without risking my neck that's a damn good compromise."

Spoiler:

Comment

What if...a bunch of sci-fi fans gets sucked into a parallel dimension where everything they had watched on TV was real?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Boch
                            Your ideas sound brilliant Wyrminarrd. I would love to hear more. Seeing how much you've put into this you must be devoted to this so I'd like to know, failing to have this aired as a TV show what other mediums would you consider for it to be published in? Where you planning to start any rough drafting work anytime soon or have you already?

If you tell me more you may even get to hear about my idea for a sci-fi show.
                            This idea would lend itself easily to being made into a book, would most likely be similar to David Webers Honor Harrington series (great books btw). I am however pretty sure that I don´t have the time or the focus to ever get around to writing a book, let alone a four of them

I´ll try and post more details later, I´m at work so that may or may not happen today

Comment

You know, I'd really like to see a new series based on Serenity. This time, outside the realm of Fox, ideally on HBO, with a specified run, perhaps three seasons.

I don't think a show needs to be long to be good. A specified number of seasons could improve the writing on many shows since the writers don't have to do backflips to come up with new ideas every time they think a show's ratings are going down or their worrying about renewal or drag on lacking stories just for the sake of making more money.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Working...
                              X