This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Tech: what would you expect to find

so basicly we have only found scraps of technology around the place that was left by the ancients. so i guess as the show goes on we will find more. knowing what we now know about the ancients, some of their technical abilities and their politics (with them stopping the time travel tech).

what would you exspect to find or what would we hope they have. what devices would u want to have if you were in the sg universe

personally i would exspect. the gate to have more functions. like caller ID (which i think it has, just not turned on yet) scanners or something to show what is on the otherside like a holigram that shows everyone what is on the other side. for example if you are going to walk into space or not, or an iris. or even a way to comunicate and see the other side without going to the otherside. this might get rid of the need for IDC's

after the wraith became a threat u would think the ancients would have made something that can be used to hold a gate like a portable sheild or something. atm we leave a group of people at the gate to make sure we keep control of it, a sheild or a lock so only u can use it.

its late here thats all i can think of. what else would you guys hope to find

From what we've seen so far of ancient technology, the ancient's themselves are as boring as F**K.

They don't seem have any leasure activities or even a nursery for children. Where's the ancient daycare center? Where is the video arcade? Where is the bar? where is strip joint? Did the ancients have a schooling system? Did they play basketball? Do they ever engage in dangerous thrill seeking stunts like Puddle jumper racing?

We humans expand our technology in three branches: Our most destructive for war. Our most complicated for medical, and our most interesting for entertainment.

So far, we haven't seen the ancients do much in the third branch.

I'd like to see puddle jumper drag racing. Tennis with drones. Holographic TV shows. Children's toys with minature ZPMs. Clay that molds itself to your thoughts so you can sculpt anything. I'd like to see these ancients have some more depth.

Maybe have a few episodes where the team tries to figure out what something does only to find out its a mundane device:

"After months of study, we've come the conclusion this massive machine that requires the power of three full ZPMs, the simultaneous staffing of twelve control chairs with people carrying the ancient gene as well as the perfect alignment of the planetary gravity has but one purpoe: It's an ice cream maker."

something else:

Rodney: "I can't figure it out Elizabeth, this hunk of crystal is not a control crystal, not a power crystal, not an interface crystal, not a storage crystal, not a converter crystal nor is it a transfer crystal. And neither me nor sheppard can activate it even though we got the ancient gene."

Weir picks up the crystal and it activates: "...I think i know what it is... It's an ancient dildo..."

Comment

I would like to see more ancient personal gear, such as more of those personal shield, their hand guns, armour, comms gear, portable shields.

I would like to learn more about the visual feature of the chair, such as what the range is and if it can see through buildings etc.

and of course i would like to see some manufacturing facilities, to build puddle jumpers, drones, zpm's, etc.

Finally like the first post, i would like to see some kind of malc.

Comment

Well lets draw a list of Ancient devices shown so far:
        -Stargate Destroyer
        -Trinity Weapon
        -Project Acturus
        -ZPMs
        -Personal Shield Devices
        -Stargates
        -Dakaran Installation
        -Repositories of Knowledge
        -Alternate Reality Device
        -Long Range Communications Device
        -Communication Stone
        -Holograms
        -Puddle Jumpers
        -Cityships
        -Drones
        -Stasis pods
        -Advanced Computers
        -Obelisk Transporter
        -Cloaking Technology
        -Dampening field generator
        -Gene Activation Technology
        -Time machines
        -Ring Transporters
        -Transporters
        -Stargate shield
        -DHD
        -Defence Satelites
        -Intergalactic Hyperdrive
        -Regular Hyperdrive
        -Stun guns
        --long range scanners
        -hand held scanners
        -Interactive 'Solid' Holograms
        -Time Dilation Fields
        -storage crystals that hold information on a molecular level
        -Gene manipulation devices
        -devices/shield that cancel the effects of solar radiation on an entire planet
        -weather manipulation technology
        --shielded prisons
        -containment vessal for energy entity
        -biometric sensors

Edit: Added others peoples mentions of Ancient tech

I would agree, perhaps some kind of probe device as well.
        Last edited by Prior_of_the_Ori; 19 January 2006, 06:02 AM.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevos
          I would like to see more ancient personal gear, such as more of those personal shield, their hand guns, armour, comms gear, portable shields.
          I agree, some nice hand guns would be nice.

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
            Well lets draw a list of Ancient devices shown so far:
            -Stargate Destroyer
            -Trinity Weapon
            -Project Acturus
            -ZPMs
            -Personal Shield Devices
            -Stargates
            -Dakaran Installation
            -Repositories of Knowledge
            -Alternate Reality Device
            -Long Range Communications Device
            -Communication Stone
            -Holograms
            -Puddle Jumpers
            -Cityships
            -Drones
            -Stasis pods
            -Advanced Computers
            -Obelisk Transporter
            -Cloaking Technology
            -Dampening field generator
            -Gene Activation Technology
            -Time machines
            -Ring Transporters
            -Transporters
            -Stargate shield
            -DHD
            -Defence Satelites
            -Intergalactic Hyperdrive
            -Regular Hyperdrive
            -Stun guns

I would agree, perhaps some kind of probe device as well.
            -long range scanners
            -hand held scanners
            -Interactive 'Solid' Holograms
            -Time Dilation Fields
            -storage crystals that hold information on a molecular level
            -Gene manipulation devices
            -devices/shield that cancel the effects of solar radiation on an entire planet
            -weather manipulation technology

Things they must have had but we haven't seen:

Fairly complex waste disposal/treatment/recycling systems
            Universal translators
            Artificial Intelligence (and I don't mean robots)
            Robots (for manufacturing and medical use)

And of course all these devices are dependent on other technological marvels.
            I think there are more things we don't know how to use to their full benefit because we just haven't thought of it.

I agree that we're overdue for entertainment devices but my suspicion is that we aren't going to be tripping over those things. Our current direction is hand held, portable entertainment devices. If they did the same, then they may have taken that stuff with them when evacuating. I certainly would have. if I were going to be stuck on a backwards planet for the remainder of my days, I'd at least want a gameboy. Also, Atlantis seems to have more labs than anything else so cities where all the fun stuff happened were probably blown to crap by the Wraith.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
              Universal translators
              Wasnt one of the original ideas being that the universal translator was a device found in atlantis allowing them to explain how they speak to the athosians and the others but was dropped?

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

More Ancient Ships or at least designs. So we could manufacture our own Altarian(sp) ships

Comment

Originally posted by Alexein
                  Maybe have a few episodes where the team tries to figure out what something does only to find out its a mundane device:

"After months of study, we've come the conclusion this massive machine that requires the power of three full ZPMs, the simultaneous staffing of twelve control chairs with people carrying the ancient gene as well as the perfect alignment of the planetary gravity has but one purpoe: It's an ice cream maker."

something else:

Rodney: "I can't figure it out Elizabeth, this hunk of crystal is not a control crystal, not a power crystal, not an interface crystal, not a storage crystal, not a converter crystal nor is it a transfer crystal. And neither me nor sheppard can activate it even though we got the ancient gene."

Weir picks up the crystal and it activates: "...I think i know what it is... It's an ancient dildo..."

LOL you crack me up keep em coming.
                  On this topic tho: first entertainment, I was thinking using their VR tech like a holodeck from startrek only better cause you could do things and experiance things matrix style where you and your environment could change;
                  Weapons some thing a little more sopisticated than missiles would be nice. How about a device which when used causes a vortex which sucks in all unfriendly ships to an empty void where they eventually run out of power.
                  Or a timedialation device which when used causes what ever it hits to age at an increasing rate.
                  Better yet how about a weapon that transforms matter so what ever it hits turns to stone or what ever (even eatable food, we'll eat the wraith for a change), but just something a bit different to every other ray gun out there.
                  Ultimately tho it would be nice to see some advanced tech which isn't like the conventional tech of today much like in the beginings of SG1. ie the sentinal device or the tech used by the shapeshifting aliens from spirits or even the crysal skull device.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexein
                    From what we've seen so far of ancient technology, the ancient's themselves are as boring as F**K.

They don't seem have any leasure activities or even a nursery for children. Where's the ancient daycare center? Where is the video arcade? Where is the bar? where is strip joint? Did the ancients have a schooling system? Did they play basketball? Do they ever engage in dangerous thrill seeking stunts like Puddle jumper racing?
                    The Ancients are so different, I don't think they are much for fun, what we've seen is that they were very serious about everything. There version of fun was propably very different from ours.

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBaron
                      The Ancients are so different, I don't think they are much for fun, what we've seen is that they were very serious about everything. There version of fun was propably very different from ours.
                      Probably arguing over equations and thinking of new experiments as well as exploring the galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBaron
                        Ya remember the Ancients where on the path to ascention(sp, god i'm bad at sping) so they didn't focus on "fun" there trying to better themselves, and i don't think Strip joints are the best way to do that. They'd be working on developing there brains so they could reach the higher plane. Remember in Prototype, it takes 80-90 percent of brain function to willfully ascend. So they would be focusing on that with there tools, not meanless toys and sports.

So expect to see Scientific tech, and stuff like that. Weapons are a must because of the threats they incounter so you'l see those.

Comment

i hope they find a machine that transforms water into zpm's...

...a machine that can take out all the powers of an ori...

Comment

Would be good to find a sister city. EG Atlantis isn't the only one, but there is also another one in another galaxy somewhere. Perhaps the invisible city that the Nox showed SG-1 is one of them?

It would be great if they found this 2nd city which was not only fully functional but also had manufacturing plants which may of been destroyed by water on Atlantis.

It would also be good if Atlantis had a built in method of recharging it's ZPM's. I really cannot see the Ancients leaving it just to be wasted in a war with the Wraith after 10,000 years - What would be the point even leaving the city intact?

Atlantis having AI. Perhaps the city is really concious, but is observing Weir's team to determine if they are trustworthy/worthy of being helped.

With regards to their entertainment technology, I beleive that this was probably taken when they left the city.

It looks like they left the bare essentials at the city incase they returned. Seems like everything else which was important was taken though.

Now what about our own moon having a manufaturing plant of some kind? - supposing our moon is entirely Ancient made. For all we know it could have 3 almost ready to use city's will fully charged ZPM's docked inside...

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Doubt it, after the Atlanteans came back i think they no longer cared about the universe as such and building so many cities would have been a waste to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X