Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAAAHHHHHH not this question again!! lol. just kidding. the points you raise are valid, this is basically a situation of "well the reason it isnt destroyed is --- wait look over there whats that?!?!?!" i think TPTB just would rather we dont think about this question too much. should the iris be destroyed? probably, should there be noises when things impact on it? probably not. but from a cinematic point of view its cooler this way.

Comment

it's a source of a lot of irregularities. such as, we hear bugs in bane, we hear jaff in enem within...but in the Other Side, all we get is a little blip on a monitor, no thunk
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The well-known plot hole arises yet again.

Oh the plot holes they love to confuse us with.

Comment

Well, as they say, no one is perfect....not even TPTB! (tongue in cheek)

Comment

The sound is simply the Matter and energy being rushed out and hitting the iris before rematerialization. its like blowing on a piece of paper u blow for a millesecond and then the paper makes a sound even tho ur done, type thing.

Kawoosh should destroy the iris. however the script has prevented it from doing so. Also in many episodes it goes up after the kawoosh, but other episodes it stays up ??? but once again its called the Script it was used by ancients to give power to the writers so they could do as they wish.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Lol, ok I think i can leave it at: The iris isn't destroyed because the writers didn't want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Star_Lord
                Now I'm sorry to bring this up again and I know we have an answer but something was still bothering me about it.

Now i believe the answer we got last time was that the 3 microns gap between the event horizon was insufficent space for anything to materialise therefore when the wormhole was established on earth the "kawoosh" never developed. I have two problems with this theory.

1. The "kawoosh" is and energy bubble not matter, therefore it requires less than 1 nanometre to start developing and as soon as this energy starts to develop it will consume anything in its path including a titanium or trinium-titanium alloy metal plate 3 micons infront of it.

2. In episode 2.10 Bane, you can distincly hear the bugs hitting the iris after they close it. It creats quite a loud thud noise on the Iris. If no matter is rematerialised from the event horizon of the wormhole because of the iris then there should not be any sound caused by solid matter impacting the Iris.
                Matter is energy. Just because the Swoosh is "energy" doesn't mean it would form in 3 microns. It seems to me to be based on a chain reaction creating the particles around the event horizion, distorting it (and causing the destructive properties) until it can't sustain the swoosh-particle creation (and falls inward). However the iris prevents integration of particles in mass, so no critical mass of swoosh-particles form. Q.E.D.

As for the bugs in Bane, particles do form behind the iris, just not at the same rate. Otherwise the iris wouldn't work for anything. That's why small particles get through by short-lived particles and solid matter can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord You
                  Matter is energy. Just because the Swoosh is "energy" doesn't mean it would form in 3 microns. It seems to me to be based on a chain reaction creating the particles around the event horizion, distorting it (and causing the destructive properties) until it can't sustain the swoosh-particle creation (and falls inward). However the iris prevents integration of particles in mass, so no critical mass of swoosh-particles form. Q.E.D.
                  Energy is not always matter. the kawoosh is pure energy just like light or a magnetic field are all types of energy. Light is not considered matter.

Comment

So? That doesn't mean the iris couldn't block the reintegration of those types of particles as well. In fact, it was established that it severely reduces electromagnetic flux through the gate. This indicates that energetic particles need to be integrated as well... probably from controlling the decay of whatever particles make up the event horizion.

Comment

Originally posted by Star_Lord
                      Lol, ok I think i can leave it at: The iris isn't destroyed because the writers didn't want it to be.
                      Bingo! Simple as that!

Comment

As i've said its all part of this magical thing call a script. it allows the writers to do as they please. it isnt destroyed because the writers say so, it does what it does because writers say so, it doesnt matter how much matter it blocks or what kind of energy as long as it blocks.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

The solution I find most plausible is rather ingenius I think. After losing several irises, Carter, in her infinite wisdom, came up with the solution to coat the back of the iris with blue jello. This wonderful substance boils away by the "kawoosh" in a manner similar to ablative armor, and it's natural jiggliness shields the iris from the actual impact. The only trick is getting Siler out there with a bucket of blue stuff before the next wormhole gets activated, sometimes he's got to rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Macharius0
                            The solution I find most plausible is rather ingenius I think. After losing several irises, Carter, in her infinite wisdom, came up with the solution to coat the back of the iris with blue jello. This wonderful substance boils away by the "kawoosh" in a manner similar to ablative armor, and it's natural jiggliness shields the iris from the actual impact. The only trick is getting Siler out there with a bucket of blue stuff before the next wormhole gets activated, sometimes he's got to rush.
                            And in view of this brilliant solution, imagine the relief of the Atlantis team in finding that the Atlantis gate uses an energy shield as it would have been quite impossible to ship ten ton of blue jello through to Atlantis given the power constraints on the ZPM when they originally opened the wormhole back on Earth!!! LOL

But that brings up another point - in Rising, when the Wraith darts follow Sheppard and Co into the gate, once the jumper is through and the shield raised the darts hit the shield with one mega thwump so... energy on energy maybe?
                            McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
                            Grodin, "You can fix anything."
                            McKay, "Who told you that?"
                            Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

Isnt it to do with something to the same effect as why people go splat on the iris, its so close to where matters reintergrates that it doesnt allow it to so this would presumably stop the unstable vortex forming aswell!
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Maybe the gate knows the iris is very close to the event horizon so it "kawooshes" (is that a word?) on the other side and we just don't see it?

Comment

Working...
                                X