Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apropos of squat, does anyone else think that the title of this thread sounds like a chick lit novel?
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
      Apropos of squat, does anyone else think that the title of this thread sounds like a chick lit novel?
      Maybe that women behind bars movie Carter was feeling like she was in in Hathor?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
        Maybe that women behind bars movie Carter was feeling like she was in in Hathor?
        I was thinking more like something Helen Fielding would write, rather than Russ Meyer produce.

Comment

Originally posted by terraatlantus
          the atlantis stargate energy barrier behaves the same way as the terra titantium/trinium iris. from the movie we know the unstable vortex spurts out forward and backward. maybe all versions of the gate are designed to detect an intentional barrier which prevents the forward burst
          We've never seen any gate ever do that besides the movie, so my guess is that they did something wrong which they then fixed on subsequent attempts. Remember, that was the first time they'd ever actually used the thing. (Ernest's trip doesn't count--they lost the records for it, remember?) Maybe they fed too much power into it. Maybe their computer dialling sequence was too crude.
          My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
          -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
          -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
          -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
            We've never seen any gate ever do that besides the movie, so my guess is that they did something wrong which they then fixed on subsequent attempts. Remember, that was the first time they'd ever actually used the thing. (Ernest's trip doesn't count--they lost the records for it, remember?) Maybe they fed too much power into it. Maybe their computer dialling sequence was too crude.
            No. it was because they forgot to replace the light bulbs in the chevrons.
            sigpic

Comment

after watching 48 hours i have somethign on the back of my mind..... the "kawoosh" effect clears the crystals of the gate, deleting whatever imprint was there. but with the iris there there is no kawoosh and hence the imprint is stil there, so techinically should each time a copy of whatever was trasfered last time be kinda shot out of the event horizon (yes i see a bunch of wrongs in my theory but it would be fun eh?)

Comment

there is no "kwoosh" efect but there is still the sound
                MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

I would assume that there is a kawoosh of sorts, but perhaps because the Iris is so close it does not have the time or space to disintegrate anything - perhaps the woosh is the crystals clearing themselves of energy/data - if we say that the energy/data/matter has no space to form, couldn't it just smack into the Irish harmlessly...

I suppose what I'm asking is this - if there's not enough space for an entire kawoosh to form, perhaps there are not enough particles/is not enough energy to disintegrate anything while still emptying crystals. Dunno. Poke holes as you like!

EDIT:

"CARTER: Yes, Sir. When he tried to breach the iris by bombarding it with a particle beam. Sub-atomic particles barely small enough to reintegrate produced energy as they decayed.

HAMMOND: Which caused the iris to heat up."

Remember though how signifigantly the iris tended to absorb energy being sent through the gate? I don't remember the episode, but it's the one where the stargate was gonna explode, I believe
                  Possible season 6/7 spoiler
                  Spoiler:

It was Anubis using an Ancient weapon
                  I remember Carter talking about how the Iris was saving us because it was absorbing so much of the energy form the gate, saving them a lot of time...

So, if the iris absorbs that incredible an amount of energy, perhaps it absorbs some of the energy of the kawoosh...Between the small space for only some particles to form and the nature of the Iris, is this logical?

Have fun with it!
                  Last edited by ThawkTH; 11 December 2004, 11:21 PM. Reason: Clarification
                  Teal'c- "I have a strange feeling about Allar, like he's concealing something."

O'Neill - "Like what?"

Teal'c - "I do not know colonel, he is concealing it."

Comment

What bugs me is that the even when the iris is closed, we still hear the "whoosh" sound effect that accompanies the unstable burst. At any rate, I agree with the Digi-guy, despite what is implied in 100 days.
                    According to quantum physics, any effect caused by the creation of a wormhole (including an unstable mass) would occur at the subatomic level, and thus (like Sokar's particle beam) begin the process of disintegration within those first few micrometers. There should be a big hole in the iris everytime a wormhole activates.
                    But even if we buy into this "it can't form" bunk, there still shouldn't be a "whoosh" sound.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Musnud
                      What bugs me is that the even when the iris is closed, we still hear the "whoosh" sound effect that accompanies the unstable burst. At any rate, I agree with the Digi-guy, despite what is implied in 100 days.
                      According to quantum physics, any effect caused by the creation of a wormhole (including an unstable mass) would occur at the subatomic level, and thus (like Sokar's particle beam) begin the process of disintegration within those first few micrometers. There should be a big hole in the iris everytime a wormhole activates.
                      But even if we buy into this "it can't form" bunk, there still shouldn't be a "whoosh" sound.

Maybe not. But then again, starships shouldn't make sounds as they fly through space, either.
                      Oh, well.
                      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                        Maybe not. But then again, starships shouldn't make sounds as they fly through space, either.
                        Oh, well.
                        That's so true. I remember first watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and realizing I had taken star trek for granted all those years. Still, it would be strange to see huge space battles in total silence.

Comment

True, but in this case, the parameters for the "whoosh" sound are established and then broken. Whereas, in the case of sound in outer space. Outer space is never established (in the show) as being a vacuum. So the two aren't really comparable...

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze
                            That's so true. I remember first watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and realizing I had taken star trek for granted all those years. Still, it would be strange to see huge space battles in total silence.
                            But potentially very powerful.

Comment

It is possible for a wormhole to be stablished without a vortex. A good example was when Thor came to the SGC and opened the gate with his egg-looking-asgard-remote-control and there was no vortex. How did he prevent it? Don't know. But maybe the iris does not allows a vortex to form. As we can see there are exceptions, and it's possible.

Just my $0.02

Servatis a periculum. Servatis a maleficum.

Comment

Now I'm sorry to bring this up again and I know we have an answer but something was still bothering me about it.

Now i believe the answer we got last time was that the 3 microns gap between the event horizon was insufficent space for anything to materialise therefore when the wormhole was established on earth the "kawoosh" never developed. I have two problems with this theory.

1. The "kawoosh" is and energy bubble not matter, therefore it requires less than 1 nanometre to start developing and as soon as this energy starts to develop it will consume anything in its path including a titanium or trinium-titanium alloy metal plate 3 micons infront of it.

2. In episode 2.10 Bane, you can distincly hear the bugs hitting the iris after they close it. It creats quite a loud thud noise on the Iris. If no matter is rematerialised from the event horizon of the wormhole because of the iris then there should not be any sound caused by solid matter impacting the Iris.

Comment

Working...
                                X