Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigger threat than all the previous enemies they've faced...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger threat than all the previous enemies they've faced...

A subject they haven't really touched on the show yet...

When the US Air Force was secretly running a small and top secret Stargate project in the basement of NORAD, it was almost reasonable to keep it secret.

Now, almost a decade later, other nations' governments are in on the secret, and we've waged or are waging wars in FOUR galaxies (helped to fight the Replicators in the Asgard home galaxy, the Go'uald in ours, the Wraith in Pegasus, and now we've pissed off the Ori in theirs).

We're building huge battleships to defend the planet and fly around the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies. We have multiple colonies on several different planets and an expedition inhabiting the lost city of Atlantis in Pegasus.

We've made and broken alliances with too many different worlds and peoples to keep track of. We're working side by side with beings that most people consider to be the true definition of "alien".

...and the majority of the planet doesn't even know.

I think the greatest threat to come is when the governments in on the secret finally fess up to the rest of the world just how active our little lump of dirt is in the universe. Earth is bordering on becoming an empire (albeit an infant one), and only a small percentage of the population even knows that. Governments could be overthrown. Nations could go to war over the revelation. And (bringing it down to reality maybe too much), I can bet you that the truth of the universe isn't going to sit well with extremist terrorists from SEVERAL different religions.

Earth's entire infrastructure could break down, and then it will be left to our colonies to stay civilized and professional (which could get interesting seeing how the Atlantis expedition is so internationally diverse).

This, more than any other threat posed by other enemies over the shows lifetime, stands to be the greatest threat. Continuing a lie for a day is one thing, but lying about the nature of the universe to most of the world for a decade is another...

But what do YOU think?
    "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

What the hell did you just say

Comment

I'm trying to figure that out too...

Comment

We have not fought in the Ori galaxy, we are fighting that battle here. We have no off world collonies, we have offworld bases Atlantis isnt a colony its a research outpost much like the Antarctica base.

Now that we have the basics out of the way.

How are we becoming an empire? We have no power beyond our bases and our allies would not allow us to gain much power if we tried it. We are hardly even a blip on the galactic radar without the aid of our allies (mainly the Asgard)
        I hardly see massive war between any countries as the United nations would announce the project (probably) to the majority of world leaders, by this time the US would have had to have handed gate control to the UN as a whole, to be managed by all, they would not announce it unless they had this intention.

Why would there be mass overthowal of governments? What purpose would this hold? Only a handfull of governments even know about the project so the ublic would have no motive for doing it.

Finally: as for religious extremests. I would just like to point out that "God/s" are suposedly higher beings, correct? Ancients recreated life, correct? Ancients are now higher beings, correct? IMO this would serve as proof for many religions. And if it didnt, the ancients never created life, they recreated it after the plague, leaving the mystery of creation a, well, mystery.
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Then you have much more faith in your fellow man than most do. I think if OUR world was let in on a secret of such magnitude tomorrow, we (as a planet) would not act so "enlightened".

You have to remember that the scifi-oriented community makes up a minority of Earth's population. Most of humanity are quite content thinking they know how the world and the universe work, and resent any intrusion into that belief. Those who keep their minds open (mostly everyone who follows this forum for example) would deal with it better than the majority of this world's occupants.

Even on the show, this worry is a reality (which is the continuing reason the whole existence of the Stargate is kept a secret).
          "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

A major disclosure to the public has to happen eventually, but it won't be easy. Most people don't expect we'll ever meet aliens so it will be a huge shock for many people to see there are so many races out there - and that some of them are so much more advanced than us or even at war with us.

A disclosure would cause a huge amount of problems (like foreign goverments who want to use the gate) but there would be some advantages like more resources. If it isn't a secret anymore it should be easier to let scientists from all over the world work on projects to rapidly enhance our technology.

Comment

How are we becoming an empire? We have no power beyond our bases and our allies would not allow us to gain much power if we tried it. We are hardly even a blip on the galactic radar without the aid of our allies (mainly the Asgard)
              Thats bullcrap. Earth has clearly established itself as a force to be reckoned with, as the race primarily responsible for orchestrating the downfall of the goa'uld, the tyrannical evil race that enslaved most planets in the milky way for centuries, and now being the race that has basically screwed up the entire wraith civilisation by waking them up early and will likely further screw them up and most likely do away with them with this whole michael concept. Arguably, the humans of earth are somewhat superior to the ancients (except in terms of technology) - specifically tactically (having warded off the wraith and tricked them into thinking that they are dead) - and in the direction that Atlantis is going it seems that the wraith are going to cark it in season 3, something the Ancients couldn't manage. Saying that earth is hardly even a blip on the intergalactic radar is total bull**** IMO.

As for public disclosure? I always envisioned this as the ending to the SG1 series. Either the public learns of the gate, they shut down the program and leave Atlantis running, or both (?).

Comment

I'm actually looking forward to see earth destroyed one day
                I mean you don't think they can protect the planet against all odds forever do you?

Comment

Haha, im down for that, would make a great what-if episode!

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven
                    I'm actually looking forward to see earth destroyed one day
                    I mean you don't think they can protect the planet against all odds forever do you?
                    uh, yes.
                    The only exception is an AU story and we have already seen that.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

MW
                      pegasus
                      ori
                      othalla and ida

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                        ...by this time the US would have had to have handed gate control to the UN as a whole, to be managed by all, they would not announce it unless they had this intention.
                        The United States will never hand over gate control... yet alone to the UN! They don't take any action when it concerns our planet!! LOL Imagine giving them gate control.

Seriously though, the US will never give over control of the Stargate. It's easy to see them add teams from around the world to the SGC, have over-sight committee from civilans and from an international body. But they will never give outright control of the gate to anybody else.

And why should they? In 8 years they've managed to protect Earth from several alien invasions and cause the downfall of the Goa'uld. At the time the Galaxy's biggest threat.

As Hammond once said... "We've got the experience"!

- Ace
                        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

from things they've caused. they should move the stargate to antartica. let everyone use it.

anyway the last thing the US needs is more power. give to france!

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                            from things they've caused. they should move the stargate to antartica. let everyone use it.

anyway the last thing the US needs is more power. give to france!
                            We've always managed to handle whatever was thrown at us. Besides... technically you couldn't move the 'gate to the Antartic because of the treaty.

No weapons...

The US needs not only more power... but a little help from our allies! *winks at france* You know what I mean... lol

Ace
                            "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

I don't think things would turn out quite as bad as you think. I think the constant impending threats from outside would pull our world together pretty quickly, actually. But that's just my opinion.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X