Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the asgard beams be used to beam ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the asgard beams be used to beam ships?

Ok well we know that from Ex duex machina that ASgard beams can be used to trasport very large objects. a scyscraper for example, is probley bigger than the promethius itself, its at least bigger than an alkesh or a cargo ship. so could the beams be used to transport ships around the place...and if so why could they not create buffer where the energy sig during transport just stay there ( like the wraith dart, its just a signiture til the reappear right. that way we could basicly carry our entire fleet in one ship to atlantis, no need fro a carrier craft. beam 100+ F-302's in to a buffer, store the, and then rematerialised when needed.

is it possible asgard beaming tech, with a little extras could make trasporting fleets nothing more than a 1 ship job?
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

hmmm thas actually a rele good idea, can't see no reason why that shuldn't work, infact why didn't the Ori think of that if they're so smart

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit
      hmmm thas actually a rele good idea, can't see no reason why that shuldn't work, infact why didn't the Ori think of that if they're so smart
      Very good idea, indeed Immhotep. I think it should be possible.

And the Ori haven't thought about it since they don't have the same beaming technology. And by the way, they still have to have one ship fly all the way here unless it's the size of a PJ...
      S.T.A.K.S. if you think kirking stinks...

Jackson: Earth minutes?
      Mitchell: Yeah, I've always wanted to say that.
      Vala: Well, now you have.

Image hosted by RandomImage.net

Member of Ben Hiney Club, Happy Trails Club and The Amazing Arm Appreciation Association Dex's Devil

Comment

well we've only seen the rings but that woz on land, they may use beam tech on their ships.

Comment

still the question of why the asgard havent thought about this is shocking in itself... we know they were eveacuating their civilization in ships,..why? beam everything they have in to a computer hyperspace it away like they love to do and recolonie in a galaxy far far away...
          the whole idea kinda put the logicical side of the 'space race' out of the window,, if you can move entire fleets, army's, weapons caches in 1 ship, all you need is memory, and the beaming tech. then your laughing. the best use would be in the atlantis/deadaus shuttle route obviously. the deadalus could beam hundred of F-302's, tanks, weapons, technolgoy, personell even, with nothing more at stake than one ship and a hard drive. after all they can alway rematerialise something if they need it, if they organsise the energy sigs correctly with names and stuff.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          11000! green me

Comment

It's a good idea but to prevent it all from being that easy they'd of course come up with a limitation like maybe they're unable to maintain a sizable pattern in the buffer for any length of time or if you store a pattern you will be unable to use the transporters again without rematerializing the previously stored pattern first.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

actually yeah i think its totally possible though, from the study or asgard beams, darts and the stargate, im sure a buffer system like the stargate's and dartds could be made for the beam, if there isnt one already.
              deut showed they know alot about buffing and working with energy signitures, i see no reason why it couldnt be done, or why it hasnt been done, except for the obvious 'too easy'
              sigpic
              11000! green me

Comment

This sounds like something that might be addressed in a future ep of SG-1.

Comment

Don't think the writers of the show has thougt of it this way... Too busy writing new epps and too little time to think about and combine old storylines.
                  S.T.A.K.S. if you think kirking stinks...

Jackson: Earth minutes?
                  Mitchell: Yeah, I've always wanted to say that.
                  Vala: Well, now you have.

Image hosted by RandomImage.net

Member of Ben Hiney Club, Happy Trails Club and The Amazing Arm Appreciation Association Dex's Devil

Comment

its a shame actually, id prefer if we had less, better thought out an more detail episodes than 40 episodes of plot that is good but not very immersive. the Sg francise has set itself for hundred of other plots and way to do things which is great for keeping new plots going but it hasnt got any huge detail, like othwer shows where everything is known and explored, stargate has stuff but its never used or made in to anything more than a plot device...beside the Sg obviously
                    sigpic
                    11000! green me

Comment

well the storage requirements for anything have to be pretty immense. The fact that they were able to beam an entire building is unbelievably impressive. One grain of sand for instance, has something like 100 trillion trillion atoms. Even if you had some insane compression that would allow each atom's info to be stored in one byte that's still a crazy amount of data you would need for one freaking grain of sand. Think about a skyscraper now.

Comment

In '48 hours', Carter and McKay argued over whether or not energy was needed to maintain patterns in Stargate crystals. It could simply be that, with Asgard technology, a constant supply of energy is needed to maintain the pattern. It could be relative to the amount of data being stored. As such, it might actually cost less energy to have the ships move under their own power.
                        "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Didnt the Sentinel of Latona basically use a powerful transporter beam as well as a weapon?

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

yes, it could also be used as a weapon but not by us, my proposal was a bit more practical, the asgard do use it as a weapon in thors hammer for example.
                            memory and energy:
                            memory isnt a problem IMO, they have lots of memory options, i mean how many memory crystels could you put in all the space not being used to store materials/ships in hangers...a memory crystel ( goauld, ancients or asgard/well stone) are the size of your arm at the most. those hanger can fit alot inside, and each crystel can store terrabyte of data from what i can see.
                            power, we have that...if 5 naquadah reactor can power atlantis, im sure unlimited reactors, mark I, II or the naquadia reactors can give enoguh energy to keep the transporters going, besides i believe they have their own PS...which is even better.
                            powering the transporter may not be an issue, powering the buffer might be though, we know the naquadria buffer drains massive amounst of power, and is really tricky to get right, i think he Sg would be the best type of energy buffer to salvage from, it is already a tested thing, expand it and give it more power.
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
                              In '48 hours', Carter and McKay argued over whether or not energy was needed to maintain patterns in Stargate crystals. It could simply be that, with Asgard technology, a constant supply of energy is needed to maintain the pattern. It could be relative to the amount of data being stored. As such, it might actually cost less energy to have the ships move under their own power.
                              Good Point.

Also, if the ship carrying 'The Armada' is suddenly attacked and destroyed then.....there goes our oh so powerful fleet of 302's.......
                              It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X