Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Sci-Fi news program: What do you think?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Sci-Fi news program: What do you think?

I haven't seen basic cable in a while, but a few weeks ago, when I finally got hooked back up, one of the things I noticed is that some channels have at least one news program devoted to the subject at hand. ESPN has Sportscenter, Speed has multiple news programs devoted to general racing, and NASCAR and rally racing in particular. And if not on cable, then This Week in Baseball, NBA Inside Stuff, and NFL Under the Helmet certainly applies. Surely, the world of Science Fiction holds some news-worthy stories that can be told on a semi-regular basis. What I think should happen is that some newsprogram be formed and aired every other week or so on Sci-Fi. They can have interviews with key shows in the general world of Sci-Fi, SFC programs in particular, and bring us up to speed on any newsworthy tidbits that haven't been readily avaliable to those without the internet. There can also be a weekly editorial on hot topics, or even roundtable discussions, a la Meet the Press.

What do you fellow gaters think? Do you think this could be a viable idea, or not?
    I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

Funny, to say the least

News on what's going in SciFi in general (what show are at what status, what movies about to premier and such) and some more "embedded" things like image a headline like this:

"SGC get's new CO - Anubis up to the job? - An exclusive report!"
    And then a few scenes of upcomming episodes narrated by a cool narator voice.

I'd like that

Comment

Unfortunately Sci-fi is too small for that.

Comment

So that leaves only one option:

Make it bigger

Comment

I'll start working on it right away.

*starts writing a script for StarGate: Rise Of The Enemy - A history lesson about the Goa'uld*

Comment

I would think a little news program snippit every 10 minutes of every other hour would do something nice for me, kind of like what MTV does where there brief news program, except yah, the news would obviously be different
            Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Cadette Britney Spears!

Comment

I'm not sure there's really enough news to make it work -- even the short version. Some of why the MTV news works so well is because rock stars are always doing something stupid. There's a lot less behind the scenes action in the sci-fi world. I'm afraid it would just wing up being a lot of random studio PR for the latest movie release or whatever.
                *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

How about something like "www.scifi-news.net - The SciFi News Network" (like ISN on B5 ) with irregular newsposts.

For a beginning

Comment

They could list what shows are being cancelled in the scifi world, and what shows that are development and have sneak peeks, which would make the scifi news program different, haha... i don't know!!
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

They should do what they did on BBC Three in the UK for a while (I think they still do? ) At the end of every other hour they basically have 60 seconds to tell everything and anything news worthy. This would be good, there's less Sci-Fi out there so they could get important stories in there. They don't even need sets! If I remember this program is done on a live-feed style blue screen and the news and pictures are all behind the presenter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron 1
                        I haven't seen basic cable in a while, but a few weeks ago, when I finally got hooked back up, one of the things I noticed is that some channels have at least one news program devoted to the subject at hand. ESPN has Sportscenter, Speed has multiple news programs devoted to general racing, and NASCAR and rally racing in particular. And if not on cable, then This Week in Baseball, NBA Inside Stuff, and NFL Under the Helmet certainly applies. Surely, the world of Science Fiction holds some news-worthy stories that can be told on a semi-regular basis. What I think should happen is that some newsprogram be formed and aired every other week or so on Sci-Fi. They can have interviews with key shows in the general world of Sci-Fi, SFC programs in particular, and bring us up to speed on any newsworthy tidbits that haven't been readily avaliable to those without the internet. There can also be a weekly editorial on hot topics, or even roundtable discussions, a la Meet the Press.

What do you fellow gaters think? Do you think this could be a viable idea, or not?
                        It doesn't sound like a bad idea as long as you knew what was going to be on ahead of time due to the inevitable spoiler potential. Learning how shots are set up and the new techs that go into special effects would be interesting, as well as interviews with writers, producers and actors. For instance: What does Seyler really think of O'neill? and other such actor vs character interplay.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I think a bi-weekly scifi show would work. Hell, I would watch it at least. I am always watching the scifi channel anyway... hehhehe

Comment

Working...
                          X