X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDC, the Iris, and Dialing...

Whats up wit that!
    Last edited by raceinxs; 05 August 2010, 06:18 AM.
    Hello....Hellooooooo!
    Yeah, I'm dead! But there's always alternate realities!!

For this first question I suggest to just ignore it as it must have been a mistake, etc. For the second about the radio waves, my only solution would be that a radio wave for instance does not have to be demolecularized as it is already in an energy state. For matter, it first must be demolecularized and then sent through the wormhole. Then again the tracking thing kinda puts a damper on this theory as well... maybe go with the "Do not look behind the curtain" approach for this..

Comment

Maybe it's one of those "Just because" things?

Comment

recieving the IDC and even seeing the gate effects on the walls before the gate has opened is one of these things which has happened quite a few times, and i believe that it was something that happen during the earlier seasons but as they got further along they found out they were doing it wrong.

as for radio, an object gets dematerialized then sent though the gate, signals don't need to do that and its been said that things exit the gate at which they enter so signals could travel faster between gates. a person walking in should be slower than a radio or video signal.

the gate effect is actually longer than 5 to 10 seconds. the full time to travel is around 30 seconds nuy we've seen them having to take a few seconds and even walk between two gates like walking between two rooms, so things get changed because it is a tv program and keeping things short is vital. waiting to transmit a signal and then wait for a reply would just waste time

sigpic

Comment

Maybe we see the gate spinning before they finished dialing because they cannot show two places at the same time at the same time, without split screen.

So first we see SG1 dialing, then we go back in time and see the SGC getting the gate spinning.

Question 2: Maybe they build subspace radios, or got them from the Tok'ra.

Comment

Originally posted by majundecid
            This was happening multiple times in season 2, and I'm only on the 3rd DVD.

Okay, the off world team is dialing home, they aren't even finished dialing and the SCG gate is already receiving the connection, I mean the inner ring is spinning.
            You know, this is one of those errors that just makes no sense.

How would the gate network know which gate you want to gate to if you haven't finished dialing? The correct sequence of events should be:

SG1 dial on some planet, Earth gate starts spinning AFTER sg1 finishes dialing, and then finally the wormhole is established.

So all those times when a wormhole forms right when they press the big red button...that's not right.

Right?

Comment

Just Accept It For Crying Out Loud!!!
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I can understand the whole gate dialling thing. The way I think of it is that an incoming wormhole doesn't require the spinning of the gate. Think about it... the spinning represents the dialling of a number, like on a telephone. However, when you get an incoming call, you don't have to press your own phone number or that of the other phone in order to accept the call. For that reason, it should technically show the smacking of the symbols, the press of the red button and then the immediate formation of the gate on the other side. Of course, this isn't how it's done 80% of the time because it's more exciting to know it's coming before it does and turn the red lights on and announce "incoming wormhole" [however, you'll notice it doesn't really take that long for the wormhole to form and sometimes the immediate one is used instead]

As for the radio or IDC signals, I totally agree with the theory that their simple energy state allows immediate transmission through the wormhole. Again, I use the telephone idea... the signal travels so fast that they delay is barely noticeable. The distance doesn't matter because the wormhole essentially drags the two locations to just a step away from each other.

I can't recall any situation where the IDC is received before a connection is made but it's been a while since I've seen the earliest episodes. As soon as the outgoing gate's connection has been established you should assume [although they don't show it in that way] that the connection is also established on the other side. Wouldn't really work to have the blue puddle there and still not be able to use it because it's not finished connecting to the other side. You just send the signal or jump through or what-not and by the time it gets through the connection will be open.
                //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

As I've understood it, the wormhole is established in both gates at the same time. All delay is a TV thing.

As for radiosignals, they're already energy so it goes both ways (matter only one way) and instantly.
                  S.T.A.K.S. if you think kirking stinks...

Jackson: Earth minutes?
                  Mitchell: Yeah, I've always wanted to say that.
                  Vala: Well, now you have.

Image hosted by RandomImage.net

Member of Ben Hiney Club, Happy Trails Club and The Amazing Arm Appreciation Association Dex's Devil

Comment

Working...
                  X