This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does Earth get a space station?

I think since Earth can now build ships that can cross entire galaxies (thanks to the Asgard), we should at the very least have an orbital space station by Earth, or some sort of shipyard. Maybe even orbital platforms that guard Earth from approaching ships.

I think the biggest problem with that would be the continued security of the SGC. You can very easily see the ISS with the naked eye if you're looking at the right place and time on a clear night. Any big station or shipyards would undoubtedly be spotted. Perhaps once the program goes public they will make one. It really seems unlikely though. The biggest advantage of building ships in space is you don't have to worry about getting them off the ground. But since the ships of the SG universe have inertial damperners capable of altering mass, it shouldn't be a problem. And a station is an easy target for an enemy, where as underground construction facilities would be harder to find. Orbital defense platforms might be a good idea though. But again, it would probably have to wait until the SGP goes public.

Comment

actually you could hide them behind neibouring planets. and the defence platforms can be place outside our solar system in predictable hyperspace routes.

Comment

Thats a good idea, but ya Walter is right It could be attacked very easly. But they could have sheilds, and maybe weapons. But i'd think it as a servicing station for the Promethus, and Deadalus. For fuel, ordanance, supplys, etc. And i think they could keep it in a near but solar system to not be spotted from earth.

Comment

I think since earth is new to the galactic scene it would take them a while to build something as big as a space station. Remember, a space station is static, it cannot move so therefore should an enemy come in sufficient numbers then the station would be worthless as it would be destroyed, so a more mobile form would be seen as more desirable by the military.

Not only that but space stations (despite the fact that you dont need a hyperdrive) are expensive as usually they are larger then ships in your fleet. I think in time they will make a station but not just yet. A possible location could be maybe in Jupiters orbit between it and one of its moons.

What would be an interesting implementation of current technology would be making a small station but place a cloaking device on it. a nice early warning system that way.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by j619pinoy
            I think since Earth can now build ships that can cross entire galaxies (thanks to the Asgard), we should at the very least have an orbital space station by Earth, or some sort of shipyard. Maybe even orbital platforms that guard Earth from approaching ships.
            We have a spacestation. Really. It's primative, and kind of a waste of money, but we do have one.
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Well a station on jupiter won't be much help when the Ori come to visit us for tea and cookies erm I mean extermination! I think it would be propostrous if scientists on Earth haven't already started designing some sort of defensive energy weapon, which can be fielded in the form of cannons or defense satelites. I mean we can't depend on the Ancient drones for ever as they will run out at some point. If they are serious about defending Earth then we will need to see defence sattelites/cannons around Earth, because our miniscule fleet of 3 Deadalus class ships can't possibly stand against the Ori.

If nothing else maybe a Halo style Super RAil gun might not be such a bad idea.

P.S. I was wandering wether we can use the Hebridian solar shields to run a science research station in orbit of a Star. If we can pull it off it would rock as said station will be impervious to scans and few if any enemy ships will be able to assault it(cos they won't wanna get too close to a Sun). That would make it a very safe place for scientists to work I think(as long as we use them shields to get around the radiation problem).
              Semper Vigilans!

Play www.stargatewars.com
              +
              Join the Adeptus Astartes

Comment

It's not a bad idea but I don't see it happening until they go public. It's already stretching plausability that they managed to build both the Daedalus and the Prometheus without so much as a hint of rumor (that we know of). Launching a space station would be an even bigger venture. As it is, the amount of people who know about the SG program boggles the mind.

But the most important thing is whether it would be worth it. Any space station would need constant supply from Earth ie. an Earth ship would need to do it, which would make it pretty worthless as a supply station or a dockyard.

It would be nice to have weapons platforms though. But we're not there yet technologically. Even if we built a weapons platform based on the tech we do have, it wouldn't be able to do much against any enemy who've already made it as far as earth orbit in a ship and can do significant damage. ie. our tech wouldn't be comparable to theirs.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

But having a space station wouldn't be very practical because unless its on the other side of the galaxy. Because they can transport Food, supplys, ordanace, etc., Via the Asgard Beaming tech. You could probaly fix any damage in orbit. But if you build a space station. What would it do, that you can't do in orbit around earth?

I'd rather not split the supplys, defence weapons, people, etc. and i'd fortify earth.

But a space station on the other side of the galaxy would be a good idea. It could even be kept from the public, it might be kinda hard though. But they could do it.

Comment

No, I personally think this is a GREAT idea. Seriously.

Move the whole SGC into orbit. Use a Go'auld cloaking device to keep it invisible from attacking ships and earth based peepers. Use Asgard beam transporters coordinated with a small but easily defended way station on the surface (for personnel and supplies to be transported up), that would really help tighten up security.

With no engines (only station keeping thrusters necessary), you could double up on reactor cores to have uber-shields for planetary defense, and you could act as a ship assembly plant.

Another advantage...you've now put the stargate in orbit (a la Ancients). Even if you have it "indoors" (inside the space station), you can now have a fallback incase anyone ever tries to send a bomb through the gate (or turn the gate into a bomb like at the beginning of season 5). Now a huge gate explosion doesn't have the capacity to kill the planet.

Place a few of these in orbit with ring transporters linking them together for quick transport, and you've got a hot planetary defense system. They don't need to be HUGE, but they have the ability to be because you don't have to build them to be flyable.

Even though we don't HAVE to build the ships in orbit, it probably would still be easier to do so, and we could build them BIGGER.
                    "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Im not sure if you can cloak AND keep the shields up.....if not then the station would be at a severe disadvantage if it was located in its cloaked state.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

We have a space station.

Comment

Originally posted by tendomentis
                          No, I personally think this is a GREAT idea. Seriously.

Move the whole SGC into orbit. Use a Go'auld cloaking device to keep it invisible from attacking ships and earth based peepers. Use Asgard beam transporters coordinated with a small but easily defended way station on the surface (for personnel and supplies to be transported up), that would really help tighten up security.

With no engines (only station keeping thrusters necessary), you could double up on reactor cores to have uber-shields for planetary defense, and you could act as a ship assembly plant.

Another advantage...you've now put the stargate in orbit (a la Ancients). Even if you have it "indoors" (inside the space station), you can now have a fallback incase anyone ever tries to send a bomb through the gate (or turn the gate into a bomb like at the beginning of season 5). Now a huge gate explosion doesn't have the capacity to kill the planet.

Place a few of these in orbit with ring transporters linking them together for quick transport, and you've got a hot planetary defense system. They don't need to be HUGE, but they have the ability to be because you don't have to build them to be flyable.

Even though we don't HAVE to build the ships in orbit, it probably would still be easier to do so, and we could build them BIGGER.
                          Bingo, almost exactly what I was thinking at the beginning of the thread that it would be good to keep the gate on for security/safety. I didn't even think about having multiple ones linked with ring transporters, though there might be an issue of being able to choose a specific location as I think just seek out the nearest set of rings. On the other hand, you already said you could use Asgard transporters to go from ground to orbit. So why not use them to go from station to station too?

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                            Bingo, almost exactly what I was thinking at the beginning of the thread that it would be good to keep the gate on for security/safety. I didn't even think about having multiple ones linked with ring transporters, though there might be an issue of being able to choose a specific location as I think just seek out the nearest set of rings. On the other hand, you already said you could use Asgard transporters to go from ground to orbit. So why not use them to go from station to station too?
                            That's a whole lot of trouble and not without a few problems.

1.) We'd need a DHD and not just any DHD, one like the ones in Pegasus for convenience sake. And if we don't have one we'd need to work out the power issues. ie, a constant supply of naquadah generators or a ZPM. Not only does the gate use a lot of power, any additional features, beaming tech and ring transporters would require power as well.

2.) Seeing as how we're not in a position technologically to set up a defense of any real significance, the gate would be in danger. Any enemy could destroy the space station, grab the gate and then Earth is cut off.

5.) Everytime SG personnel come back home for a long mission and need a burger, they'd have to beam down. It's never good to be dependent on a single technology for such an important thing, likge going home and resupplying. You'd need quite a few ships at home at all times as backups just to make the premise safe and dependable. And if you can build a fleet of ships... don't really need a space station.

Just being in space has risks. Simple things become life threatning at the drop of a hat. I just can't see the value outweighing the risks.

As for building larger ships. I don't see that building them in space is going to make a significant difference when you don't have the technology to do that in the first place and our current problem is more likely to be running out of materials to build with rather than space. Nevada is a pretty big state and its mostly empty.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Also a slight danger should a foothold situation occur in space. The enemy would have more options of escaping then in the mountain.

Comment

Working...
                              X