Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien Nation appreciation

/\/\/\/\ Hey that title ryhmes

For anyone that watched the Original series on Fox in 1989 it is being released on DVD today. It's titled (Alien Nation-the complete series) which means it has all of the 24 epsiodes plus a short but sweet behind the scenes section.

The series was a spin off from a theatrical movie titled the same (a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Stargate), and like Buffy and Stargate the TV series was superior to the movie. It only lasted one season for Fox, but it was'nt cancelled because of bad ratings, it cost way to much to produce each episode so the TPTB squashed it

I loved the show!, it was a smart and innovative series that spoke alot about societal indifference, racism, welfare, class struggle all mixed in with aliens

For anyone that has never seen the show, you might want to check it out (hopefully your local DVD rental store will carry it!), otherwise it is rather inexpensively priced ($39.00 on various website stores). The DVD's are double sided (which is completely lame!) but still a great and smart scifi show to get into!.

For anyone that has seen it and liked it (warmbeachbrat in paticular ) I would love to discuss anything about the show if you wish, thanx.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Never seen it - will try to 'acquire' a few eps
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Whoa, I need to get out more! I've been spending most of my (admittedly limited) time on my subscribed threads and just ran across this one by accident.

There have been several series that were canceled way before there time (Legend, Earth 2, Strange Luck, Mysterious Ways, Cupid) but the cruellest cancellation to take was Alien Nation. This much under appreciated show is one of my favorites. At least they had a few TV movies afterwards to tie up some loose ends and tackle more storylines. *sigh* I SO miss it.

I loved how it tackled tough social problems without bashing you over the head with it. The characters were great and created wonderful tension and interaction. Surely there are more than just a couple of fans of Alien Nation at Gateworld!

I see the DVD's have come out. Have you had a chance to pick them up, Fifth Race? How are they? I wonder if the TV movies are going to be released sometime.

Thanks for creating the thread!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Wow, I had forgotten all about that show. It was a good one. Just another in a long list of good shows axed before their time.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Alien Nation was a great show. It is greatly missed. I loved those eps were George had to to explain some of NewComer society to Sykes that just blew his mind. or vice versa. and Albert was always great for a bit of comic relief.
          Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
            Whoa, I need to get out more! I've been spending most of my (admittedly limited) time on my subscribed threads and just ran across this one by accident.

There have been several series that were canceled way before there time (Legend, Earth 2, Strange Luck, Mysterious Ways, Cupid) but the cruelest cancellation to take was Alien Nation. This much under appreciated show is one of my favorites. At least they had a few TV movies afterwards to tie up some loose ends and tackle more storylines. *sigh* I SO miss it.

I loved how it tackled tough social problems without bashing you over the head with it. The characters were great and created wonderful tension and interaction. Surely there are more than just a couple of fans of Alien Nation at Gateworld!
            I totally agree beachbrat, Alien Nation was one of those shows that on the surface the premise might have seemed a little ridiculous, but the characterization made the show great. Good acting and great characters = one heck of a show!.

I see the Dvds have come out. Have you had a chance to pick them up, Fifth Race? How are they? I wonder if the TV movies are going to be released sometime.

Thanks for creating the thread!
            I did buy the DVD set, which includes the premiere TV movie. The disks are two-sided which stinks!, but the quality was still good and the extra (which were kind of lacking) were still good enough and fun to watch.

The show really held up, even re-watching it for the first time in its entirety in years made me realize what a great and smart show it was.
            Last edited by the Fifth Race; 18 February 2006, 11:15 AM.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath
              Alien Nation was a great show. It is greatly missed. I loved those eps were George had to to explain some of NewComer society to Sykes that just blew his mind. or vice versa. and Albert was always great for a bit of comic relief.
              Wasn't Albert the binnaum for George and Susan's baby, Vessna? It's interesting that even bumbling, comic relief was necessary for reproduction in the Newcomers.

I really enjoyed Matt's interaction with all of the Newcomers. He really came a long way, from beginning as George's partner to having a relationship with Kathy.

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
              The show really held up, even re-watching it for the first time in its entirety in years made me realize what a great and smart show it was.
              Oh, I am so filled with envy! From what I remember of the show, it does seem like it would hold up well. Hmmm--I might have to go haunt ebay.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Comment

I enjoyed Alien Nation too. I was sorry when they cancelled it. Do I remember right that the Newcomers drank sour milk like we do alcohol?

Comment

Does anyone know if Alien Nation TV Movies will be released on dvd? The first and only season has been released, but I was hoping for a combined series/tv movie boxset.

Comment

Originally posted by shazzboy
                    Does anyone know if Alien Nation TV Movies will be released on dvd? The first and only season has been released, but I was hoping for a combined series/tv movie boxset.
                    The first and only season of Alien Nation is available on DVD. Truly a great and way ahead of its time show. Brother Fifth Race started an Alien Nation appreciation thread awhile back, check it out, here's the link.....

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...t=alien+nation

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      I enjoyed Alien Nation too. I was sorry when they cancelled it. Do I remember right that the Newcomers drank sour milk like we do alcohol?
                      Thats right, I had forgotten about the sour milk is like the nectar of God's for the Aliens. Good call Jack fan.

Comment

I wonder--has there been any speculation or has anyone ever seen anything from TPTB regarding where the second season would have gone. I've been kind of wondering that about some of the good sci-fi shows that were cancelled before their time....

Comment

I wonder--has there been any speculation or has anyone ever seen anything from TPTB regarding where the second season would have gone. I've been kind of wondering that about some of the good sci-fi shows that were cancelled before their time....
                          That's a very good question brat. I remember Fifth Race told me that the ratings were very good for Alien Nation (I believe it was on NBC?) but that production costs per episode were the highest on television at the time it aired. So the network put the kabosh on the series. It would have been the perfect type show in todays market where a network like the scifi channel, USA, Spike and couple others could have gobbled it up so it could have continued.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
                            That's a very good question brat. I remember Fifth Race told me that the ratings were very good for Alien Nation (I believe it was on NBC?) but that production costs per episode were the highest on television at the time it aired. So the network put the kabosh on the series. It would have been the perfect type show in todays market where a network like the scifi channel, USA, Spike and couple others could have gobbled it up so it could have continued.
                            Hmmm--they rejiggered BSG and it's been critically acclaimed and quite popular. I'm wondering (I guess I wonder a lot ) if any of these other shows like Alien Nation and Earth 2 have any kind of chance of being brought back? *sigh* I suppose it's a vain hope--after all BSG was gone for over 25 years before anyone thought to bring it out in a revamped version. I'm guessing it would take a highly creative, special person to follow Ron Moore's example.

Comment

Hmmm--they rejiggered BSG and it's been critically acclaimed and quite popular. I'm wondering (I guess I wonder a lot ) if any of these other shows like Alien Nation and Earth 2 have any kind of chance of being brought back? *sigh* I suppose it's a vain hope--after all BSG was gone for over 25 years before anyone thought to bring it out in a revamped version. I'm guessing it would take a highly creative, special person to follow Ron Moore's example.
                              I think its wishful thinking, but hey this is the age of movies and television where everything that's old is new again with the utter lack of new and original ideas.

I watched a few of the Alien Nation episodes on DVD last night. I haven't watched them since I purchased the DVD box set a couple of months ago. IMHO the show still holds up today, it had this anti-racism message intertwined with the storyline that also wasn't afriad to tackle hard issues and family issues that most show won't touch, it is definetly as good as I remembered and much better than the theatrical movie of the same name.

Comment

Working...
                              X