This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone follow Xena all the way through?

Cause I got questions. I'm more of a lurker around G.W. so I often don't have questions. I'm also not much of a fantasy fan, I usually stick to strictly science fiction, but since SG1 and such have been on hiatus until next week, I've filled my spare tv time watching old dvd's of Xena.

Anyways I used to catch the occasional episode of this back in high school a life time ago. Now having watched it to almost mid-point of Season 5, I have to wonder what..the..frak happened to this show?

I mean, ok, here I am watching seasons 1-3ish and it's fine. I dig the whole greek mythology thing. Obviously it's a little "over the top", some embelishing stuff here and there but it's supposedly to be a little campy and corney at times.

Then the whole Life/Death stuff happens. Now just about every major show has had someone die or die and come back and die again (*cough* SG1 *cough*) but between Xena and Gaberielle I lost count how many times each has actually died and came back. Then again, it happens so I looked past that as well. Until they introduced the entie "Elti' story arc(s) (notice the plural on that). Why did the show go from greek mythology to all of a sudden something I guess similar to ancient Indian (native american) ritualistic magicks and afterlife? Once woulda been alright but once I got deep into Season 4, they just kept bringing this stuff back and back and back again.

Which then led to the whole India era where Xena and Gaberielle visit there. I enjoyed the change of scenery it was nice. I liked Eli's character for the longest time, the whole sideshow magician turned semi Ben Hawkings (lil Carnivale reference). Then I noticed, they had completely paths. Like, ok not Xena herself nor Gaberielle but like the backstory was alot less greek mythology and alot more christianity. Here's Eli, this wandering man who has the power to heal, who quite coincedentally looks alot like what most people would describe as Jesus Christ. Ok, probably just a reference, the show does alot of that. Then the whole Angels and one definitive "God" thing.

I got lost at this point. The show completely changed from Xena (and Gabby) roaming Greece helping people in need to Xena and Gabrielle kinda roaming various lands (Gaul, Italy, India) while Greek gods took a large backseat to the new one "God" and the Angels (which I really did not like Callisto being "redeemed"...).

So I'm wondering, without major spoilers, is the rest of Season 5 and 6 like this? I don't want to sound like I'm ranting nor complaining but I am legitimately "concerned". I'd rather spend my time doing something else if the last two seasons are all about this new "god" and the supposed downfall of Olympus.

i kinda lost interest with the whole gabrielle-demon baby arc

answering your question in my opinion i dont think it changed much at all afterwoods, but i guess if i could get them on dvd i might be willing to give it another chance
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

I remember not liking to "One God" story line in S5.

I think the reason why TPTB went in that direction was maybe, they felt they were running out of other stories. Just a guess though.

I wish they had done more Greece episodes toward the end.

I am recently buying the entire series. I'm a bit hesitent about buying the last season though, I must admit. S1-3 are my favs. Even Gabby's demon child storyline. It was a good test for Xena and Gabby's friendship

Comment

tbh i only watched it for leather clad ladies fighting
        sigpic
        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
        -Liberty Prime

Comment

I liked it until around the time Gabby cut her hair and switched her staff out for twin daggers...

I just could not get into it any more

and yeah what was up with the Angels and God thing any ways? I remember tuning in one day and Xena and Gabby where angels fighting demons and I was just confused

or the episode where xena gets transported to our time... it was just blah

Comment

Season 1 - 4 is all you really need to watch.

Skip season 5 and 6. You don't have to, but you wont be missing THAT much either.

Comment

I just watched the episodes that featured Callisto. She was easily the best thing in the whole show.

Comment

David Eick(currently working on BSG) worked on Hercules which had a health amount of interaction with Xena blames the fans for the changes in the show. He said they started reading message boards and made changes to keep the internet people happy. It of course didn't happen because we all know how the internet is but it also killed both shows. It might be true but its still one big cop out.
                "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Working...
                X