This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gateing to another galaxy

As far as we know it takes a zpm to gate to another galaxy, but is it possible to use a gate from the outskirts of one galaxy to the outskirts of another galaxy?

Originally posted by swifty
    As far as we know it takes a zpm to gate to another galaxy, but is it possible to use a gate from the outskirts of one galaxy to the outskirts of another galaxy?
    The galaxies are not built like legoblocks. I assume there's a lot of space between galaxies.

Comment

No.

The distance between galaxies is much much greater than the size of galaxies themselves.

Comment

Its not a matter about which part of a galaxy you are located about, to gate from one galaxy to another seems to require the power of a ZPM or something capable of generating its power. So i would think no to your question.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

to further expand on this thread, as we know within the pegasus galaxy Atlantis has the only stargate with the control crystal capable of connecting to the Earth stargate, this is likely due to Atlantis coming to Pegasus from our galaxy, however would this mean that Atlantis is the only gate capable of connecting to our galaxy as a whole. Also is the Earth gate the only one capable of dialing Atlantis from our galaxy?

Comment

I think the control crystal allows the gate to dial an eighth chevron, and that's it. It's just that Earth is the only place they want to go, so it seems like the crystal was designed to dial Earth only.

Comment

First, to the initial question:

Gating from one galaxy to another is comparable to driving from New York to Los Angeles. Even if you start at New York's city limit, and only want to go to LA's city limit, there's a lot of ground to cover between them.

The Milky Way galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. The Pegasus Galaxy is only 4,000 light years wide. But there is at least three million light years between the two.

Originally posted by swifty
              to further expand on this thread, as we know within the pegasus galaxy Atlantis has the only stargate with the control crystal capable of connecting to the Earth stargate, this is likely due to Atlantis coming to Pegasus from our galaxy, however would this mean that Atlantis is the only gate capable of connecting to our galaxy as a whole. Also is the Earth gate the only one capable of dialing Atlantis from our galaxy?
              The topic of Milky Way DHDs dialing eight chevrons has never been addressed. The SGC's gate lacks a DHD; the ability to dial intergalactically was programmed by O'Neill when he had the Ancient knowledge in 'The Fifth Race'.

Judging by the Atlantis episode 'Home', I'd think that it is possible to dial any destination address, as long as the eight chevron functionality is present in the dialing gate. The outgoing gate provides the power, so it should go anywhere that is dialed.

a time to mourn

Comment

If you had an infinite supply of power to a Stargate then you should be able to connect two gates from opposite ends of the universe no trouble

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
                - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
                - "I'm taking this loop off..."
                - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
                - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
                - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

A question ive not heard asked yet is how come we can dial the asgards galaxy but not pegasis. Also it was said that dialing the asgards galaxy took only ten times the normal amount of power. So is pegasis supposed to be alot further.

Ive heard this mentioned before but if atlantis could dial earth with a few naquada generaters and jumper power why couldn't Earth do the same using if necessary wot ever they use to power promethios or the deadlas. Even if the worm hole cant be maintained for long past rules with in the show say atlantis should take over powering the wormhole, once a conection is made.

Also im failing to understand why so much enphasis is put on ZPM's given earths relationship with the asgard. Why cant they provide a power source capable of dialing pegasis.

Comment

First and formost, it does not require a ZPM to gate to another galaxy. Only ones as far as Pegasus, or somewhere therabouts. We gated to the Asgard galaxy useing the power source from a staff weapon added to our own generators. Hardly more than a few milileters of liquid Naquada. I'm positive that any gate in our galaxy could go to pegasus with enough power. I'm also positive that the Atlantis gate can access any gate in all four known gate networks (MW, Pegasus, Asgard, Ori).

Its unlikely the Asgard will give us any super power supplies, they already gave us sheilds and unaltered teleportation technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Master
                      A question ive not heard asked yet is how come we can dial the asgards galaxy but not pegasis.
                      We can't dial either unless we have the power to do so. When they want to get in touch with the Asgard, they use one of the Asgard halls on their protected planets in our galaxy to contact them.

Also it was said that dialing the asgards galaxy took only ten times the normal amount of power. So is pegasis supposed to be alot further.
                      Distance never mattered when you were traveling from star to star, or at least was never mentioned in the series. Technically it should take alot more power to get from one side of the Milky Way to the other (~100 KLY) than it would to do a short hop from Earth to the Alpha site (~650 LY).

I guess what I'm trying to say is; if they've never mentioned different power requirements to gate around our galaxy, then it's possible that it takes X amount of power no matter where in the galaxy you want to go.

Ive heard this mentioned before but if atlantis could dial earth with a few naquada generaters and jumper power why couldn't Earth do the same using if necessary wot ever they use to power promethios or the deadlas.
                      Technically you're right. Earth could tie together a few MK II generators and could probably supply the power to establish a wormhole to Atlantis. Why they haven't is up to the writers to explain.

Even if the worm hole cant be maintained for long past rules with in the show say atlantis should take over powering the wormhole, once a conection is made.
                      Again, you're technically right: Once a wormhole is established between two gates, the outgoing gate can draw power from the destination gate to maintain the wormhole between the two. Why they haven't tried this is up to the writers to explain.

Also im failing to understand why so much enphasis is put on ZPM's given earths relationship with the asgard. Why cant they provide a power source capable of dialing pegasis.
                      Again, technically you're right: Tha Asgard obviously have power systems that can maintain wormholes from their galaxy to ours, however there has been evidence that they've had to "borrow" power from our gate in order to make the trip. Usually it's shown by the lights at the SGC going out when an Asgard comes in by gate, but it's been inconsistent. Sometimes the lights dim, other times they don't.
                      It's possible, that while the Asgard possess really fast hyperdrives, they still can't power intergalactic gate travel on their own, in which case any power systems they could possibly offer us still wouldn't get the job 100% done. It might allow us to regularly dial other galaxies, with both of us providing 50% of the power.

See, the real problem is that the writers set up these roadblocks, like the "We need a ZPM to dial Earth/Atlantis" scenarios, and then they Deus Ex Machina a solution in a single episode that begins to contradict what they originally said. Combine a few Deus Ex Machina solutions together, and you have resolved the issue the writers say cannot be resolved.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                        The topic of Milky Way DHDs dialing eight chevrons has never been addressed. The SGC's gate lacks a DHD; the ability to dial intergalactically was programmed by O'Neill when he had the Ancient knowledge in 'The Fifth Race'.
                        Well. I see this: The Milky Way galaxy gates were likely built before intergalactic travel was even needed by the Ancients. It's possible that they could have used the gate's coorelative updating abilities to send a program for intergalactic dialing out to the gates once they started expanding further. But Its doubtful that we'll ever really know for sure. In the meatime, I like to think that O'Neill's program acts as our equivalent of Atlantis's 'eight chevron crystal', and, like Atlantis's DHD, makes it unique.
                        sigpic

Comment

While specific power requirements have never been mentioned it did say in the 5th race ep that before o'neill activated the device that the gate was trying to draw ten times the usual amount of power. That infers only ten times the amount of power of wot ever earth based power plant powers the gate (probably nuclear) was needed to reach the asgards galaxy.

It was also mentioned even after naquada generators were being used that the power requirements to create hyperspace and shield tech was far beyound and off known scales of power generation.
                          This means that wot ever powers the hyperdrives on earth ships should easily beable to power a galaxy to galaxy worm hole whether the energy requirements are 10 or 100 times the usual amounts.

There is also the question why they dont just use the device that o'neill built. I dont think it was mentioned in the ep in to the mirror universe wot happened to it but knowing our earths desire for tech they probably kept it and brought it back.

With regards the lights and power dimming every time the asgard come through I thought that was there way of overcoming the iris, and I wouldn't of thought the miniscule amount of power we could provide would make alot of difference.

Comment

they said in "the fifth race" that the device that o'neil built only worked once

i reckon that what he built was a crude one time only ZPM.

Comment

I was thinking that also but slight little issue in being that Carter (well two Carters) reactivated the device in that quantum mirror episode.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                              X