This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Scifi 2005

There are only two days left in this dramatic year. It's almost over (thank god!) And Scifibrain (http://scifibrain.ign.com) has released their Best Scifi for this year (2005): http://scifibrain.ign.com/index.php?...k=view&id=1635

For those who don't want to read the whole article their list is as follows:

BEST NEW SCI-FI TV SHOW
    WINNER: Invasion and Surface (tie)
    I wouldn't say they were great but there wasn't exactly much competition. Both are shows I love to mock, I'd say hate, but I enjoy the mess too much for that.

BEST SCI-FI TV SHOW
    WINNER: Battlestar Galactica
    Runner-up: Lost

BEST SCI-FI FILM
    WINNER: Serenity
    Runner-up: War of the Worlds, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

BEST SCI-FI ACTOR (TV OR FILM)
    WINNER: Edward James Olmos (Battlestar Galactica)
    Runner-up: Nathan Fillion, James Callis, Terry O'Quinn

BEST SCI-FI ACTRESS (TV OR FILM)
    WINNER: Claudia Black
    Runner-up: Amanda Tapping, Summer Glau

BEST SCI-FI VILLAIN (TV OR FILM)
    WINNER: Cylons
    Runner-up: The Operative (Chiwetel Ejiofor from Serenity), Emperor/Darth Vader combo

BEST SCI-FI VISUAL EFFECTS
    WINNER: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    Runner-up: War of the World

BEST SCI-FI MUSIC
    WINNER: Lost
    Runner-up: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

BEST SCI-FI DIRECTOR
    WINNER: Joss Whedon
    Runner-up: Steven Spielberg

BEST SCI-FI NOVEL/COMIC BOOK/GRAPHIC NOVEL:

WINNER: Infinite Crisis
    Runner-up: Astonishing X-Men

BEST SCI-FI VIDEOGAME
    WINNER: None
    Runner-up: WipEout Pure, Half-Life 2 (Xbox), Advent Rising, Indigo Prophecy, Perfect Dark Zero, Quake 4
    I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen most of these.... yet. I'm the soul of patience. What does your best of 2005 look like?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

I admit I haven't seen a lot of what's there either.....Serenity and WOTW are on the rental list.

I agree with BSG- we haven't got season two here yet (two more weeks!) but season one was unbelievably amazing and I don't doubt the second season will be also.

Star Wars.....loved it, by far the best of the new three.

Never seen Invasion or Surface.....I thought Surface looked ridiculously bad, but.....never botherd to find out.

Comment

Yay for Surface. Not exactly one of the most scientifically accurate shows out there and they need to go a long way in character development, but it's still a lot of fun to watch. And yes, it's a good show to mock, too.

Comment

Yahoo for Surface. I hope this show makes it. So far, it has been very entertaining.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Threshold was the best new Sci-Fi show this season.

Thanks alot CBS for screwing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
            Threshold was the best new Sci-Fi show this season.

Thanks alot CBS for screwing it.
            I saw three episodes of Threshold- it wasn't bad, just not engaging enough.....it seemed to play it safe. There was nothing that reached out and said "wow" about that show. It should at least have had engaging characters, but they weren't. Except Dr. Fenway.....but I'm partial to Brent Spiner so I'm biased there.
            But I think that it did look the best of the new sci-fi shows. I think I have to say the same for Nightstalker (which I did watch until it died). it was not a "bad" show, it just didn't have that "something different" appeal to it. It is harder to draw a person to sci-fi if they haven't had a past taste for it and none of these shows seem to have what could do that.

And with this new Battlestar Galactica, the bar has definatly been raised to do something in sci-fi that goes "wow". There is a new expectation for these shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
              I admit I haven't seen a lot of what's there either.....Serenity and WOTW are on the rental list.
              This is one of the first things on my netflix rental list 2006. I'll catch up eventually.

Never seen Invasion or Surface.....I thought Surface looked ridiculously bad, but.....never botherd to find out.
              Well it's not particularly good but I encourage everyone I meet to watch because it's so bad it's actually good and I hope it stays on the air just for my amusement.

I saw three episodes of Threshold- it wasn't bad, just not engaging enough.....it seemed to play it safe.
              That's exactly how I felt about it. I somewhat wish they'd given it a whole season but I'm not miffed about the cancellation. It had much potential but most scifi fans aren't watching for "safe" and regular fans have enough crime drama to sit through another one that had no buzz.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

How the hell could Invasion get ANY kind of award? Bah, that show sucks and has lost the plot.

Good to see Serenity is number one film And Joss the number one director for sci-fi (take that Speilberg!)
                How could Claudia Black win over Amanda Tapping!? in best sci-fi actress....

Havan't seen Battlestar Galactica, but I hear it's worth the awards it gets
                Lost, meh, cool War of the Worlds shouldn't be anywhere on that list....SW ROTS, cool, special effects (it had to get that, it was so crammed full of Special effects that it couldn't have not won that)

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Times.2
                  How the hell could Invasion get ANY kind of award? Bah, that show sucks and has lost the plot.
                  Well they aren't actual awards. They didn't win anything. Besides, sucky or not they are the best new shows. There are no other contenders in the category They win by default. I have a feeling the second half of Invasion's premier season will be better than the first.

How could Claudia Black win over Amanda Tapping!? in best sci-fi actress....
                  Easy, Amanda Tapping was missing for half of SG1 season 9 and we've loved her plenty over the years. I wouldn't have gone that way either but I get it.
                  Last edited by MarshAngel; 01 January 2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

With Ron Moore working on more stuff for NBC, hopefully something new and brilliant will come out of it in the next couple years.....Can't really see any other hope. Maybe networks should focus on the people who already watch sci-fi and make something that we would like to see and worry about attracting a new audience later.... Instead of just trying to sucker in people who have never turned an ear to sci-fi and ignoring the established fan base. More people start watching sci-fi because someone they know forced them into it (and got them hooked) then just trying it themselves. And you do that by making a show that the established fanbase likes and will watch, which means taking risks because it has to be different.

Comment

Working...
                    X