Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amount of energy to activate the gate, I think I found it...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amount of energy to activate the gate, I think I found it...

So they use a lighting strike in e.g. Tantalus Torment.

According to this site: http://plaza.ufl.edu/rakov/FAQ.html , a lightning strike delivers approximately 360 kilowatt-hours, which is about the energy to light 5 100W bulbs for a month.

So the Stargate doesn't use that much energy, so it isn't right when O'neill said after having the gate active for a while: That costed 200 000$.

Or is my theory wrong?

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor

According to this site: http://plaza.ufl.edu/rakov/FAQ.html , a lightning strike delivers approximately 360 kilowatt-hours, which is about the energy to light 5 100W bulbs for a month.

So the Stargate doesn't use that much energy, so it isn't right when O'neill said after having the gate active for a while: That costed 200 000$.

Or is my theory wrong?
    I dont think your wrong but I dont think your completely correct. Im guessing the further you want to gate the more power it takes, hence the necessity of a zpm to gate to another galaxy, and im sure something was mentioned in that episode (TOT) that Heleopolis was closest to Earth, as opposed to Abydos, im taking a rough guess with it having something to do with the planets position orbiting a star.

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot that it would need different amounts of power to reach even a planet in the same galaxy.

It was obvious another galaxy needed more power, but I really thought I must've overlooked something, so now we found it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by swifty
        I dont think your wrong but I dont think your completely correct. Im guessing the further you want to gate the more power it takes, hence the necessity of a zpm to gate to another galaxy, and im sure something was mentioned in that episode (TOT) that Heleopolis was closest to Earth, as opposed to Abydos, im taking a rough guess with it having something to do with the planets position orbiting a star.
        Heilopolis was the second closest.
        Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor

Or is my theory wrong?
          Well, considering what power bills are like these days...

Gen. Hammond said that it costs 7 billion dollars to keep all of the lights on in the SGC...

Comment

Well this gives us an interesting idea. Lets say for argument sake that the 2 planets was 1 light year apart. 360 kilowatt-hours would be for 1 light year for 30 sec of gate time.

We know from the Season Preimer of SGA, it amount of energy is tied to the lenght of time the gate is open, not related to the amount of matter passing through.

My maths is rusty so forgive the errors. 360 x 240,000,000(distance in light years) x (38 x 2) = 656,640,000,000 kilowatt-hours or 656,640 gigwatt-hours.

This would give us an idea on how much power a ZPM can hold. Thats one heck of a Battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat
              Well, considering what power bills are like these days...

Gen. Hammond said that it costs 7 billion dollars to keep all of the lights on in the SGC...
              He said 1 billion, but it may have been a superlative to express the amount of money the SGC costs.

But I think they can keep the electricity bill by using naquadah generators (or do they want to save those for emergencies?)

Comment

Originally posted by Deckker
                Well this gives us an interesting idea. Lets say for argument sake that the 2 planets was 1 light year apart. 360 kilowatt-hours would be for 1 light year for 30 sec of gate time.

We know from the Season Preimer of SGA, it amount of energy is tied to the lenght of time the gate is open, not related to the amount of matter passing through.

My maths is rusty so forgive the errors. 360 x 240,000,000(distance in light years) x (38 x 2) = 656,640,000,000 kilowatt-hours or 656,640 gigwatt-hours.

This would give us an idea on how much power a ZPM can hold. Thats one heck of a Battery.
                Heilopolis was 230 - 280 ly away (I can't remember the exact amount of ly).

Comment

I think it's exponential. This is why gating a planet in the far outerrim on the other side of the galaxy is going to suck a lot of jucie, even more to reach Pegasus.

However, I can't explain how O'neill could reach the Asgard galaxy with a jaffa staff's liquid naqahdah cell enhanced with ancient tech. Did Jack build a one shot mini ZPM which just needed some energy to start up?
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                    However, I can't explain how O'neill could reach the Asgard galaxy with a jaffa staff's liquid naqahdah cell enhanced with ancient tech. Did Jack build a one shot mini ZPM which just needed some energy to start up?
                    It was a device based on ancient tech, which was powered by the liquid naquadah fuel cell.

Comment

Just get loads of hamsters to run on wheels from a bit and WALAA!! Pure-uncontempt power.
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
                        Just get loads of hamsters to run on wheels from a bit and WALAA!! Pure-uncontempt power.
                        Well, Atlantis is very big...I'm sure it could store the required amounts of food, water, stimulants...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                          No! He made a Naquadah Generator, not a ZPM.
                          This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

FACT:
                            The Stargate has capacitors that store up a hell of a lot of power.

THEORY:
                            These capacitors can store unused energy over thousands of years that the gate has been used. Perhaps only a small ammount of energy, say from a lightenening bolt, could trigger the release of the stored energy, and create a wormhole, but this could only be done once because it depletes the capacitors of power. End of theory. But I think it may be an explanation.

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
                            - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
                            - "I'm taking this loop off..."
                            - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
                            - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
                            - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

Originally posted by NoDot
                              No! He made a Naquadah Generator, not a ZPM.
                              Dude calm down. Check the gateworld omnipedia. It's not a zpm and it's not a naquadah generator.

Best Stargate quote:
                              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                              Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X