This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperdrive vs. Stardrive

Anybody know the difference between the two? Is there one?

Hyperdrive has always been the term used to describe faster than light travel on SG-1, but recently on Atlantis they have used the term stardrive to describe the intergalatic engine that is on Atlantis.

It was mentioned in both Critical Mass and The Tower... So is there a meaningful difference or have the writers just begun to use a new term for the same thing? And are purposefully trying to confuse me?

Ace
    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Originally posted by Ace
    Anybody know the difference between the two? Is there one?

Hyperdrive has always been the term used to describe faster than light travel on SG-1, but recently on Atlantis they have used the term stardrive to describe the intergalatic engine that is on Atlantis.

It was mentioned in both Critical Mass and The Tower... So is there a meaningful difference or have the writers just begun to use a new term for the same thing? And are purposefully trying to confuse me?

Ace
    Well, until recently there was only one type of hyperdrive. Then they decided that you need a *special* hyperdrive to travel intergalactic distances, which is silly; you only need a fast hyperdrive.

I'd say the writers are being inconsistent, which is confusing you, and probably alot of other viewers as well.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Stardrive is most likely just another name for hyperdrive. I've heard the term in other Atlantis episodes, but also in other movies: In the Starship Troppers universe, Stardrive is the term used for their ship's ftl drive systems.

Inconsistency, yes. Confusing, yes. But if TPTB decide to actually give us a closer look at the so-called "Stardrive" it may actually end up being a totally new and distinct technology, one that is drastically different than our traditional hyperdrive.

Comment

Actually, there's a third kind of faster than light engine.

The Hyperspace Window Generator. Kind of a mini-hyperdrive for our F302's.

So, by this, we can classify FTL engines by size:

Hyperspace Window Generator
        Hyperdrive
        Stardrive

I think the Window Generator and Stardrive have different names simply because the scale of the window they generator is VASTLY different.
        Last edited by Mio; 24 December 2005, 02:15 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
          Well, until recently there was only one type of hyperdrive. Then they decided that you need a *special* hyperdrive to travel intergalactic distances, which is silly; you only need a fast hyperdrive.

I'd say the writers are being inconsistent, which is confusing you, and probably alot of other viewers as well.
          Technically that's not true! We have know for a few years that the Goa'uld didn't have intergalactic capabilities. So that added to the fact that we saw the Asgard did hjave it. Obviously showed that there was at least two types of HD available.

As for knowing the reasons why the Goa'uld didn't poossess it, then it's possible that they didn't know about other galaxies (which I find highly unlikely myself) or they never had reason to go to another one, since they were all fighting each other. Then they may not have wanted other System Lords to also find out about it as that's more competition. After all, if they can't stop them in one galaxy, what makes them think that they could possibly do it in two.

However Prometheus wasn't supposed to have intergalactic capabilities (JM or MG even said so in one of their threads). Promethus didn't have it, Daedalus did & that's why they allocated it to Atlantis. Yet in 'Prometheus Unbound' it was going to make the trip to Pegasus in the space of a few months. The only things I can think of would be that they can't do it in the one go as it can't achieve or maintain the necessary speed required, or more likely though is that it would simply burn out the drive if they kept on going wiothout resting the drive for short durations. So as they would have to make continuous stops during the journey, then it's not classified as intergalactic.

Star Drive could simply be the Ancient name or interpretation for what we call a Hyper Drive. Then again, (as I hope) that it's some new technology that's much better than an Asgard Hyper Drive.

As for the only other ancient ship that we have seen, The Aurora class warship. It had a standard Hyper Drive that wasn't capable of intergalactic travel. Then the captain said that their risk of capture was too great. So if that were the case, then it's far better to give them that type of Hyper Drive, rather than one that would get them to a new feeding ground. That's my reason for the lack of the intergalactic drive on the Aurora. It was probably extremely fast in it's travels around the galaxy, it was only taking so long to reach Atlantis because they knew it was damaged & floating on the edge of the galaxy when it was picked up on the sensors.

Comment

Well personaly think it not a hyperdrive. Spoiler from stargate atlantis the tower
            Spoiler:
            I forgot the exact words but Jon Shepard told Rodney to turn on the stardrive Rodney asked jon should use the stardrive to raise underground portions above the ground and jon said no. That from I believe that engine would be something like a sublight engine not an hyperdrive engine. It could possible that there non hyperspace engines can reach speeds above the speed of light so they are called stardrive not sublight engines.
            http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              Actually, there's a third kind of faster than light engine.

The Hyperspace Window Generator. Kind of a mini-hyperdrive for our F302's.
              Last I checked, they open a window to hyperspace any time they want to travel somewhere FTL. That would seem to indicate that all hyperdrives would have a hyperspace window generator.

Originally posted by Mio
              So, by this, we can classify FTL engines by size:
              Power output is how you'd classify an engine. It's physical size doesn't matter.

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
              Technically that's not true! We have know for a few years that the Goa'uld didn't have intergalactic capabilities. So that added to the fact that we saw the Asgard did hjave it. Obviously showed that there was at least two types of HD available.
              Here's the part you're not understanding: The Goa'uld have intergalactic hyperdrives, because any hyperdrive can allow one to travel between galaxies. The hitch is that it'll take you a LONG time.

The issue is speed, not destination.

Originally posted by jburrows
              Well personaly think it not a hyperdrive. Spoiler from stargate atlantis the tower...
              Excellent catch!

The "star drive" is the ancients STL propulsion system; it's what they use to get off the planet and travel locally.

green for joo!
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by jburrows
                Well personaly think it not a hyperdrive. Spoiler from stargate atlantis the tower
                Spoiler:
                I forgot the exact words but Jon Shepard told Rodney to turn on the stardrive Rodney asked jon should use the stardrive to raise underground portions above the ground and jon said no. That from I believe that engine would be something like a sublight engine not an hyperdrive engine. It could possible that there non hyperspace engines can reach speeds above the speed of light so they are called stardrive not sublight engines.

i agree

however here's my theory

stardrive = warp drive?

Comment

There is no "warp drive" in the Stargate universe.

Star Trek's patented it.

Comment

Last I checked, they open a window to hyperspace any time they want to travel somewhere FTL. That would seem to indicate that all hyperdrives would have a hyperspace window generator.
                    Correct, but the F302's FTL engine has been refered to as a Hyperspace Window generator, not a hyperdrive, in the same way that Atlantis's engine has been refered to as a Stardrive, and not a hyperdrive.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                      There is no "warp drive" in the Stargate universe.

Star Trek's patented it.

umm warp drive under new name.

now stardrive makes perfect sense

Comment

Well, that's disputable. If a weaker hyperdrive is easier to make and costs less, then you'd want those on your ships that're just supposed to go about the galaxy, not between them.
                        This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

Well there's obviously SOME type of difference between the two to allow for the increased speeds, but it can't be overly significant if they were going to convert the one type to the faster type.

My guess, hyperdrive = FTL. Stardrive = STL for puttering around a single STAR system and not necessarily between them.

Comment

I think we can all agree that the term Stardrive is simply a system on board the Ancients buildings such as Atlantis that can allow them to travel in space. Obviously those systems wouldn't always be turned on, it would be a drain on power. So the general systems, inertial dampners, hyperdrive, atmospheric shielding, sub-light engines, are collectivly termed as Stardrive.

Comment

i agree with this, almost totally in fact.
                              the ancients clearly had two or three types of engine:
                              sublight, PJ's - drive pods
                              faster than light - stardrive
                              faster than light - between galaxies - hyperspace

IMO stardrive is the mechanism altnaits used for 'short range' travel in pegasus, for the first instance they needed to seed worlds and build stargtes. That mean altantis needed to travel.
                              look at the name: star - between stars drive - engine not hyperspace generator. perhaps the stardrive is a powefull sublight engine that can proppell atlantis between stars at near light speeds (one of its kind IIRC).
                              We have seen that the ancient can produce fast speeds when couples with interial dampners in the PJ's system, atlantis has interial dampner and stardives and hyperdrive, IMO stardrive are the local engine to be used in conjunction with the inertial dampner, hyperdrive is a one way earth to pegasus system.

there IMO is thwe difference, local = stardrive, galaxy to galaxy =the ancinet equivalent to the hyperspace inter galactic generator, the regiodrive( region of space to region of space).

immhotep
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                              X