This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Iris

How do they store the Iris inside the gate?

Originally posted by RodneyMckay
    How do they store the Iris inside the gate?
    Carefully.
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

The same way the inertial dampeners work..."Very nicely"

I assume the "in show" answer would be somewhere in the inner track, infront of the "wormhole maker"
      although that wouldnt make sense because in 48 hours they seem to move it with just a blow torch...

i think the better question you should be asking is, why do all the aliens speak english?

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
      DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterholic
        ... why do all the aliens speak english?
        No, you just hear English. It's a gift of the TARDIS, telepathic field gets inside your brain and translates...

Or you mean in Stargate? Shush!
        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

i think the better question is how did there know how to make the iris in such a short amount of time if you remember jack left with a team for a few hours comes back there installied it and the iris closes behind him after he came back from Abydos
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by pj111984
            i think the better question is how did there know how to make the iris in such a short amount of time if you remember jack left with a team for a few hours comes back there installied it and the iris closes behind him after he came back from Abydos
            I think it was designed and constructed years ago, probably during the first Abydos mission. They just never bothered installing it since Colonel O'Neill told them the bomb had gone off and the threat from the gate had been neutralized. When the idea that new threats may emerge from the gate came about, they probably unpacked it and had it installed while the second Abydos mission was away.

-IMF
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Seeing as you're new, I'll try to be nice. You should choose better titles for threads. "The Iris" is a bad title. "How is the iris stored in the gate?" is a much better title.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Seeing as how he's an a-hole, just ignore him. It was a good question and well worded.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                  Seeing as how he's an a-hole, just ignore him.
                  Dont turn it into a "three PHD's is a jerk" thread, the first one thread that was mutilated into that wasn't a good idea.

Onto the subject. The iris was proberbly constructed to fit the gate easily, and to be able to be upgraded easily as well. The iris is also proberbly a simple design (remember the russians with the pencil in space).

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                    (remember the russians with the pencil in space).
                    Remind me?
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                      Remind me?
                      In the early days of the space race, the US government spent millions of dollars on a pen that would work in space(cause the ink would leave paper b4 the ink could dry), or anyother zero gravity environment, giving birth to the "space pen"(which you can now buy btw). The russians looked at the problem of writing in space alot simpler and spent under a dollar on a pencil.

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. The company the US governemnt bought the pens off spent several millon dollars on a zero gravity pen

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                          In the early days of the space race, the US government spent millions of dollars on a pen that would work in space(cause the ink would leave paper b4 the ink could dry), or anyother zero gravity environment, giving birth to the "space pen"(which you can now buy btw). The russians looked at the problem of writing in space alot simpler and spent under a dollar on a pencil.
                          ROTFLAFAOWTTDMCUT

That's the Russians for ya!

See? the Russians take the idea and make it...better
                          Also, thanks for that. Green for you!

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

In reality it's just a prop they put on the gate. In SG I have no idea how they do it. But the iris looks like separate blades.
                            Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                            Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

IMO, They could of modified the gate, or more easily explained in this:
                              1. They cut the gate (Carefully)
                              2. Then they insert the Iris
                              3. Then they close it back up

Comment

Working...
                              X