This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea

What would happen if you had an incoming wormhole, and stuck a cylinder ino the gate ( the cylinder being gate sized) would it work like an iris?

Originally posted by RodneyMckay
    What would happen if you had an incoming wormhole, and stuck a cylinder ino the gate ( the cylinder being gate sized) would it work like an iris?
    If the wormhole engaged before you stuck the cylinder in, then probably would work as an Iris of sorts, but probably not very well, as the part of it in the wormhole would be destabilized.

If the wormhole had not engaged before you put the cylinder in, then it would not connect, as the Gate would be essentially be "buried".
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

"What would happen if you had an incoming wormhole, and stuck a cylinder ino the gate ( the cylinder being gate sized) would it work like an iris?"

Yes, if inserted after the gate was activated(Incoming Wormhole) it would be like an Iris and block incoming traffic.

And as IMforeman mentioned
      "If the wormhole had not engaged before you put the cylinder in, then it would not connect, as the Gate would be essentially be "buried"
      I agree with this to be true altough in the Epsiode "A HUNDRED DAYS"
      Spoilers Below:::::
      The Stargate is buried yet the gate still connects in order for the particle beam generator to bombard the solid rock blocking the gate

Comment

Originally posted by Nero
        And as IMforeman mentioned
        "If the wormhole had not engaged before you put the cylinder in, then it would not connect, as the Gate would be essentially be "buried"
        I agree with this to be true altough in the Epsiode "A HUNDRED DAYS"
        Spoilers Below:::::
        The Stargate is buried yet the gate still connects in order for the particle beam generator to bombard the solid rock blocking the gate
        Actually, I think in the case of A Hundred Days, the wormhole was still engaged as it was buried, so the melted naquada formed an iris-like cover over the gate, but no material was in the center of the ring.
        SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Originally posted by cafine_us
          Actually, I think in the case of A Hundred Days, the wormhole was still engaged as it was buried, so the melted naquada formed an iris-like cover over the gate, but no material was in the center of the ring.
          Yes, that was exactly how it worked in 100 days.

But i think it would depend how close to the wormhole you got it. They never really go into what happens when an object enters an incoming wormhole, but iill assume it is vaporized. So if you put it, the parts in would dissapear, but leave a barrier as close to the horizon as possible. If you just put it near, it would depend how close, because the further, the more space whatever is coming in has to expand or have momentum to push or destroy your home made iris.

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
          DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

O'neill stuck his hand in an incoming wormhole once to prevent the wormhole from disengaging (that episode where he joins the proto-trust lead by mayborn and goes offworld to help them steal alien tech).

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65
              O'neill stuck his hand in an incoming wormhole once to prevent the wormhole from disengaging (that episode where he joins the proto-trust lead by mayborn and goes offworld to help them steal alien tech).
              Yeah, but that was after it already was engaged, right? Otherwise his hand would have been destroyed since
              Spoiler:
              the burst destroyed the device in Origin, when Teal'c and Mitchell threw it in there...
              S.T.A.K.S. if you think kirking stinks...

Jackson: Earth minutes?
              Mitchell: Yeah, I've always wanted to say that.
              Vala: Well, now you have.

Image hosted by RandomImage.net

Member of Ben Hiney Club, Happy Trails Club and The Amazing Arm Appreciation Association Dex's Devil

Comment

In "100 Days" the M.A.L.P. fell back through and we don't hear from it again, so it's likely matter that falls back in is destroyed. In "Shades of Grey" Jack doesn't put his hand in, he just doesn't take it out. So yes, the cylinder would act like an iris.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65
                  Actually, watch it again. It was the end of his pistol that he stuck in there, not his hand. That being said, you are correct that it didn't destroy it. Presumably the object is dematerialized as it passes the EH but is stored in the buffer until it is completely past the EH at which point it would get destroyed. So when he stuck the pistol in, the gate read an object partially in the EH which prevented the gate from disengaging automatically as it was waiting for it to be completely in or complely out of the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                    Actually, watch it again. It was the end of his pistol that he stuck in there, not his hand. That being said, you are correct that it didn't destroy it. Presumably the object is dematerialized as it passes the EH but is stored in the buffer until it is completely past the EH at which point it would get destroyed. So when he stuck the pistol in, the gate read an object partially in the EH which prevented the gate from disengaging automatically as it was waiting for it to be completely in or complely out of the gate.
                    Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                    In "Shades of Grey" Jack doesn't put his hand in, he just doesn't take it out.

Comment

What about the third case?

A wormhole is being established and you stick the cylinder in?

I don't think this has ever been addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by SpangledExpanse
                        What about the third case?

A wormhole is being established and you stick the cylinder in?

I don't think this has ever been addressed.

I think it works like this. The dialing gate dials the remote gate. As the wormhole starts to be established, you get an energy field that starts to flow across the gate. This is the formation of the event horizon (though that's not a really accurate term I don't believe) that dematerializes/rematerializes the matter stream. As soon as the event horizon is formed the splash is emitted to clear an area directly in front of the gate to prevent possible problems such as solid matter being in the way. This is probably an automatic safety measure and again is created by the gate itself. So, if the cylinder is inserted into the location of the event horizon as the connection is made and the wormhole is forming, the connection fizzles. If it were at iris distance when the connection is made then it would act as an iris and block the splash. At this point if it were pushed towards the EH would would be converted to energy and sent to the other end, same as normal. Lastly, if the cylinder were further out than the iris, the splash would form and vaporize your little cylinder.

Once nice point about this theory too is that if the splash is artifically created by the gate then it explains how the remote dialer used by the Nox et al work. They simply activate the wormhole without activating the splash circuitry.
                        Last edited by Avatar28; 05 January 2006, 12:44 AM.

Comment

I can say yes with a definate 'maybe'.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

How close is the iris to the event horizon? I mean, how stiff is the iris? Why don't small vibrations in the iris cause it cross the event horizon and dissapper?

Comment

this thread should have been titled better.

I believe the iris is close enough to the gate to prevent the splash forming proerly, but not close enough to stop the gate working.

Comment

Working...
                              X