Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the DHD's post-Avenger dial intergalactic?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the DHD's post-Avenger dial intergalactic?

We know the DHD provides the control crystals to dial out 8 chevrons. Now since we were able to dial out in both "The Fifth Race" and "Rising" it would seem that the program O'Neill made takes the place of that control crystal. That said, since we uploaded our dialing program into all the DHDs in Avenger 2.0, can they now dial intergalactically? Granted they probably don't have enough power, but assuming someone boosted it with a ZPM or something, could they?

Your thoughts...

I havent seen avenger yet, but your average D.H.D has the control crystals for the dialing of 7 chevrons, nothing more. From what u hav said O'Niels program took the place of the 8th control crystal, which would allow intergalactic travel. I do not think that the SGC would keep the program on the Stargate network, just incase it lead to enemy races learning of Atlantis and possibly sending a small invasion team with some anti-shield device to conquer atlantis. Even if SGC left the program on the power requirements would be huge as you said, a gate boosted with a zpm woulkd work but zpms dont grow on trees and are very hard to come by.

Comment

Keep me a couple of days to ponder this question and I'll be back, but in therory all the Milkey Way DHD's would be intergalactic now.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

i think that is likely however still power would be an issue, maybe thats why the DHD's have the different wormhole how, to represent that change in it capabilities...
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

I thought it was just pegasus galaxy gates that needed an extra control crystal to dial intergalactic - a safety measure to prevent the Wraith reaching other galaxies.

I see no reason why pre-avenger DHD's couldn't dial intergalctic addresses, given enough power, if this is the case.
          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I always thought that the Post-Avenger DHD program was transmitted using Ba'al's "Force Automatic Updates" program.
            Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat
              I always thought that the Post-Avenger DHD program was transmitted using Ba'al's "Force Automatic Updates" program.
              (I'm gonna use tags cause someone said they hadn't seen it)
              Spoiler:
              Baal transmitted the virus to all the gates. Then Felgar came up with the idea to load our dialing program into the DHD's so the DHD could extract the proper spacial coordinates. So after he used the anti-virus, he sent out the SGC dialing program to restore all the old DHDs

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                (I'm gonna use tags cause someone said they hadn't seen it)
                Spoiler:
                Baal transmitted the virus to all the gates. Then Felgar came up with the idea to load our dialing program into the DHD's so the DHD could extract the proper spacial coordinates. So after he used the anti-virus, he sent out the SGC dialing program to restore all the old DHDs
                I think that the crystals in the dhd hold information on how to interface the dialed address with each chevron (first button pushed to first crystal to first chevron). Because of this I do not think that the SGC's program would work to providing a "virtual 8th crystal" to the DHD, but merely tell each crystal how to interface the chevrons again.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                  I think that the crystals in the dhd hold information on how to interface the dialed address with each chevron (first button pushed to first crystal to first chevron). Because of this I do not think that the SGC's program would work to providing a "virtual 8th crystal" to the DHD, but merely tell each crystal how to interface the chevrons again.
                  Basically you're talking about flashing the DHDs BIOS.

BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is what tells your computer what kind of hardware is has installed, and includes a internal clock powered by a watch battery.
                  If a DHD is the ancient version of a dialing computer, then it too would have a BIOS-like system to allow it to interface with the gate, the symbol pad on the top and so on.

Avenger basically told the DHD to scramble the symbols sent to the gate; it'd be as if I removed all the keys on your keyboard and glued them back in the wrong place, every time you pushed one of them.
                  Now, I know that they used dialing software from the SGC to patch the DHD system, but I seriously doubt that they would have included the "dialing other galaxies" plugin.

Besides, DHDs don't have the power to dial other galaxies. If they did, we'd just hook up a DHD to our gate and dial Atlantis whenever we wanted to. They're also missing the control software to be able to travel to other galaxies. Even if they have it from Avenger, they can't dial without power. That means no correlative updates between DHDs in different galaxies. That means that DHDs have no idea where the galaxies are.

In short, DHDs can't dial other galaxies.
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I don't think that the post-Avenger DHD's have a litteral copy of earth's dialing program.

I think felger used a copy of earth's address extraction algorithm, compiled using his DHD enviroment, and uploaded it to the DHD.

I say this because:

1) How could a program to control earth hardware and logic be compatible or capible of controlling a DHD.
                    2) Earth's gerry-rigged dialing computer doesn't participate in the correlative update system. Rather it will take a previously valid address and calculate where the new location is now based on the motion of the stars.

Comment

Working...
                    X