This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you Manuel Dial 8 Chverons?

Throughout all of Stargate, the Gate has either being using a DHD or dial computer to dail a 8 Chveron Address. We know the gate can dial a 7 chveron address without a DHD if enough power is provided.

So what is stopping a 8 Cheveron dailing? All problems seem to relate to the DHD and Dailing computer or lack of power.

I would say that it is due to power requirements, it takes a hell of a lot of power to get a seven chevron address up, (An entire lightning storm in Torment of Tantalus), the power requirements may even blow out whatever you are using to chanel it. In theory yes its possible, whether it could ACTUALLY work, is yet to be proven
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Deckker
      So what is stopping a 8 Cheveron dailing? All problems seem to relate to the DHD and Dailing computer or lack of power.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

I would say that it is due to power requirements, it takes a hell of a lot of power to get a seven chevron address up, (An entire lightning storm in Torment of Tantalus)
        Or the devoted power of a couple of study trucks.
        Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

There's nothing stopping would from manually inputting a 8 chevron address, but as that's usually done when there's no DHD around, it wouldn't work (need paawaa)

Comment

Can you dial china on your phone? Without a extra computer?

I mean i can't, cause i didn't pay the bill... but im sure you can.

So i can't see why, given the power, you couldn't dial 8. Since this is ficticious, all i got to go on is the show, and i haven't seen anything to make me believe not

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
            DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

I think the key issue is power. When u have the normal power requirements u can then power up the gate with 7 chverons, no juice like having a ZPM handy u will not be able to dial another galaxy.
              There is no spoon

Free your mind

Comment

As long as you had the power you could dial all 9 chevrons assuming you had a valid address, which would be difficult considering we still don't know what it does.

In alot of ways the DHD actually restricts dialing, intergalactic dialing can only be done from earth in our galaxy becasue the normal DHD's only have 7 control crystals. Theres no crystal for the 8th chevron. (Ref. Stargate Atlantis: Home.) So in theory a manual dial out would by-pass this limitation by inputting the address straight into the gate.

Comment

I don't see why it can't be done. Doesn't the gate on Earth manually dial, just without man power?
                  Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                  Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's made a Faulty Towers joke yet.

-IMF
                    ¿Que?
                    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

But we can't assume you can, for all we know the ZPM provides a steady flow of energy to the gate, if a manual dial was to take place you'd need the gate to act as a capacitor, and with all the mention to the massive energy requirements for dialing another galaxy, it's safe to assume that if it stored that much energy like a capacitor, it might blow the Stargates circuits.

We can't assume that the Stargate does not require a steady flow of energy rather than a spike of energy at once to dial an 8 chevron address.

Comment

I agree with what pretty much everyone else is saying - you can do it if you have the power.

Comment

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't manualy dial the gate with 8 chevrons if you had the power, the only thing is that they need that crystal that they keep talking about from Atlantises DHD otherwise it may not work.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I don't think you could. I think the dialing computer/DHD has to send a special signal to the gate to tell it to hold off. I mean, if you think about it, when they try to dial a gate that won't connect, the gate shuts down almost immediately. I think for an 8 chevron address, it has to have a special signal and the DHD doesn't have a way to access those extra subroutines. On the other hand you might could do it if you interfaced a computer to it to activate said subroutines.

Comment

Thing is the earth gate computer system is nothing more than an automated manual dialer. I don't see a problem why you can't manualy dial at 8 symbol address..

Comment

Working...
                              X