This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things We Probably Won't See in Sci-Fi

I started writing this list yesterday. It grew rather faster than I'd expected. Anyway...

An alien operating system that is strongly reminiscent of DOS.

An alien operating system that doesn't look like the latest trends in web design.

Alien technology that doesn't involve crystals or anything resembling crystals larger than the head of a pin whatsoever.

An alien race who has discovered the secret to enlightenment, and doggonit, they're gonna share it with you whether you like it or not, point blank and in crystal-clear terms!

An alien from a higher plane of existance who, while having and understanding all "human" emotions, doesn't have any more cosmic and/or profound knowledge than your average potato farmer.

Immortals who have learned to deal with the passing of a mortal friend as ordinary humans have learned to deal with the passing of a pet.

An alien race whose nature-worshipping habits and beliefs are completely unfounded and are in fact, harmful. (People sacrificies, anyone? Wild animal drives, anyone?)

A race of people known as "ancients" who, quite frankly, were nothing more than a bunch of ignorant yokels ruled by superstition.

Alien/futuristic technology that doesn't make an inordinate amount of beeps and bips when used. (Least of all a bip every time a single button is pushed. That would get SO nervewracking on a real computer.)

Perfectly nice and peaceable aliens who really don't like bright lighting.

Warlike, nasty aliens who also enjoy botany.

An ancient piece of technology or weaponry that has been rendered completely useless due to the natural wear and tear of time.

Carnivorous aliens who actually have a relatively peaceful and well-developed culture.

Sexually uninhibited aliens who are plagued by STDs. And pass them on to the Kirk-jerk of the episode.

An attractive alien from a sexually uninhibited culture who does not end up having sex with one of the main characters.

A race of aliens who enjoy hunting one particular life-form, and that life-form isn't sapient, let alone humanoid.

A prophecied event happens in a manner that doesn't involve the heroes in any way, shape, or form.

A prophecied event Just Doesn't Happen, point-blank.

The hero will actually meet an alien woman, fall in love with her, marry her, and they will live out a relatively happy marriage until one of them dies of natural causes at a ripe old age.

The child of someone with 1337 /\/\u74|\|7 p0\/\/44z (leet mutant powers) will inheirit no abilities whatsoever, will never develop any abilities whatsoever, and grow up to be a well-adjusted, productive, and yes, even relatively ordinary citizen.

A half-alien child will inherit none of the alien parent's 1337 41i3|\| p0\/\/44z (leet alien powers) whatsoever.

A half-alien child will inherit the less-than-attractive features of the alien parent or will combine alien/human features in a way that is less than attractive and will survive to adulthood to be a relatively well-adjusted individual. (At least as well-adjusted as most homely people are.)

A human male will fall in love with, of his own accord, an alien female who by most standards is pretty unattractive.

An alien race, who, when faced with a food shortage, will visit Earth and make off with pigs, rats, mice, and other animals that reach maturity and reproduce rather quickly.

A group of "black" aliens will have a richly-developed and highly intellectual culture. Alternatively, a "white" alien race will still be painting themselves, hopping around campfires, and making a terrible racket in an effort to drive away evil spirits.

A female will seize control of a ship, base, or whatever without using her sex appeal and playing the vamp even once.

A man and a woman will get into a physical fight. She will hand his derrier to him on a silver platter, and never at any future point will they fall in love.

A character who has a son will be married and stay married throughout the duration of the series.

An alien people who make some kind of trade agreement with Earthlings and don't have some kind of sneaky or questionable motive.

A turncoat will still be sympathetic to the people he/she left behind and will be reluctant to actually oppose them face-to-face, if only because they are his/her people, after all.

"Ancient technology" that turns out to be nothing more than a few rusty swords, a rotting canoe, and a flint - in other words, ancient technology!
    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Now that is one long list...
    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
    Pay it forward

Comment

"The child of someone with 1337 /\/\u74|\|7 p0\/\/44z (leet mutant powers) will inheirit no abilities whatsoever, will never develop any abilities whatsoever, and grow up to be a well-adjusted, productive, and yes, even relatively ordinary citizen."

Done in Roswell (Max and Tess' baby). Adopted away so it could have a normal life.

"A half-alien child will inherit none of the alien parent's 1337 41i3|\| p0\/\/44z (leet alien powers) whatsoever."

See above two aliens placed in human bodies spawned a 100% normal human child.

Comment

Not to ruin good fun but...

Originally posted by Syera
        I started writing this list yesterday. It grew rather faster than I'd expected. Anyway...

Perfectly nice and peaceable aliens who really don't like bright lighting.
        There was an episode of Voyager 'The Void' where they got trapped in some wierd region of space and there were these beings that weren't advanced but they liked the dark, they were from the dark and they were nice peeps.

Warlike, nasty aliens who also enjoy botany.
        That would be amusing

An ancient piece of technology or weaponry that has been rendered completely useless due to the natural wear and tear of time.
        That would be nice to see as well.

Sexually uninhibited aliens who are plagued by STDs. And pass them on to the Kirk-jerk of the episode.
        Don't I wish! It would just make sense.

A race of aliens who enjoy hunting one particular life-form, and that life-form isn't sapient, let alone humanoid.
        There probably are, but it's not worth mentioning since it doesn't affect anyone. Klingons hunt.

A prophecied event happens in a manner that doesn't involve the heroes in any way, shape, or form.
        Wouldn't be worth writing about then.

The child of someone with 1337 /\/\u74|\|7 p0\/\/44z (leet mutant powers) will inheirit no abilities whatsoever, will never develop any abilities whatsoever, and grow up to be a well-adjusted, productive, and yes, even relatively ordinary citizen.

A half-alien child will inherit none of the alien parent's 1337 41i3|\| p0\/\/44z (leet alien powers) whatsoever.
        Max's baby on Roswell.

A human male will fall in love with, of his own accord, an alien female who by most standards is pretty unattractive.
        Well this is pretty subjective. But Riker did fall in love with that androgynous person. S/he was sort of plain. But somehow I think you're talking about a Human male falling in love with a Ferengi. That would be interesting.

An alien race, who, when faced with a food shortage, will visit Earth and make off with pigs, rats, mice, and other animals that reach maturity and reproduce rather quickly.
        That would be hillarious.

A group of "black" aliens will have a richly-developed and highly intellectual culture. Alternatively, a "white" alien race will still be painting themselves, hopping around campfires, and making a terrible racket in an effort to drive away evil spirits.
        Dying to see it happen myself. Black aliens are always warriors or something. Such a cliche.

"Ancient technology" that turns out to be nothing more than a few rusty swords, a rotting canoe, and a flint - in other words, ancient technology!
        Yeah but that would just be Earth artifacts or most of what Captain Picard dug up on other planets and it would be pretty boring.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
          Alien/futuristic technology that doesn't make an inordinate amount of beeps and bips when used. (Least of all a bip every time a single button is pushed. That would get SO nervewracking on a real computer.)
          Clearly the 'primitives' just haven't worked out how to turn of the Windows sounds yet.

STDs tend to represent an inhibition on their own, though I'd quite like to see a race who have abandoned sexual guilt without becoming easy.

How about a race of aliens who enjoy hunting something humanoid and vaguely sapient that turns out to be EVIL! The Enterprise episode where the aliens hunted the telepathic slugs ticked me off. I mean, the things went into people's heads and found images likely to be well-received and no-one even suggested this was a little creepy.

Well, there were the mime-people of fungutron VI in One False Step. They were kind of white.

A character who has a son will be married and stay married throughout the duration of the series.
          A lead character will have a happy and stable marriage to a partner who is infrequently seen. Their marital problems will never form the focus of an episode and they will not have an affair with anyone else.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I'm probably going to put this list up on my website, so if you'd like to contribute, just say so and I'll put up a special section for items contributed by GateWorlders with your stuff in it. If you'd rather I don't put your stuff up on my page, just don't mention that you'd like it there.

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
            A lead character will have a happy and stable marriage to a partner who is infrequently seen. Their marital problems will never form the focus of an episode and they will not have an affair with anyone else.
            Good one.
            [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

OK, I'll contribute:

All the technology will work the way it's supposed to, all the time, freeing up all the episodes for character development. (Anyone else sick of "the holodeck malfunctioned" eps?)

The good guys will ask their more advanced allies for help, and they'll say yes.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

A derelict hulk of a spaceship will be found drifting, and not have any dessicated half-eaten sandwiches or chessboards abandoned mid-game. There will be no Final Log Entries containing the phrases "everyone's acting really weird," or "we've discovered something amazing, I haven't time to write it all down right now, but my next entry will explain everything," or "It may already be too la- NO! OH GOD NOOO!"

Madeleine

Comment

The aliens approaching you with the sharp teeth and the razor claws are the good guys.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

A story is produced with a perfectly crafted plot without a plot hole or cliche in sight
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Perfect continuity.

Inhuman aliens that are still attractive.... like puppies.

Translation devices that make perfect sense

An alien computer that we just can't make heads or tails of whatsoever.

Alien babies that look completely freakily alien.

We come across a perfect Utopian society with no hidden dark secret or downside.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

We come across bad guys that are pretty and don't have any weaknesses
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

A nerd getting beat up.

Comment

A humanoid female alien without breasts or with more than two. It's really quite amazing how the female form is consistent across the galaxies.

Comment

No love intrest
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Working...
                              X