This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Character Foil

Here is the question (Mods should use the information below as information for the poll)

What is your favorite recurring foil for the main characters?
    Maybourne
    Kinsey
    Simmons
    Anise/Freya
    Fifth
    Gerak
    Vala
    Maybourne
    45.45%
    Kinsey
    11.69%
    Simmons
    1.30%
    Anise/Freya
    2.60%
    Fifth
    2.60%
    Gerak
    1.30%
    Vala
    35.06%

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

what do you mean by 'recurring foil'?
    sigpic
    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah
      what do you mean by 'recurring foil'?
      Sorry about that - I couldn't think of any better short way to phrase it.

A recurring foil is a minor antagonist. Somebody who may not technically be a bad guy, and may even be a good guy, but their relationships with the protagonists are at least somewhat antagonistic.

Somebody who frustrates one or more of the main characters. Either "frustrates" them emotionally, or "frustrates" them by getting in the way of them accomplishing their goal.

It could also mean somebody who helps with character development by providing a point of contention. (Like that probably makes any sense to anybody besides me. Help!)

HTH...
      Last edited by Katerine; 10 December 2005, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Vala, no question.

Usually I'd go Felger/Coombs. But they're not an option.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

DEFINITELY Maybourne
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

It took so long for Maybourne to grow on me, though.

Comment

Yeah, but that was half the fun!
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

They are such great characters. It is a toss up between Vala or Mayborne for me.

Comment

I have to agree with ShippyChick, and for me the whole long time thing counted against Maybourne.

I don't think I actually liked Maybourne til Season 8!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Vala, no question.

Usually I'd go Felger/Coombs. But they're not an option.
                    Vala... HELL YEAH... claudia black is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

One-time bump for those who only log on during the week...

I voted Vala, btw. She just has a certain joie de vivre (sp?) that's been missing from the show since, oh, S4. And you truly cannot ask for a more perfect foil for Daniel - she's like the perfect complement to his character. Her advances when she's really an (un?)welcome reminder of everybody he's ever cared for or been involved with before, and watching him try to deal with that - it's just hilarious. Her moral blind spots highlight his innate integrity and gives them something to argue about, but her evidence of a good heart keeps Daniel from just throwing his hands in the air and giving up(which would have made things a lot easier for him, if he could do that). And they're both so stubborn, so neither of them is going to give in anytime soon.

So they just keep... dancing... and I haven't had this much fun watching this show since... Window of Opportunity, I think.

Comment

I grew tired of Maybourne, especially as he essentially became a "good guy" in IGTBK. I voted for the evil Kinsey instead. Although I liked Simmons a lot and wished we had seen more of him.

Comment

I never really liked Maybourne that much. He was okay, but never great. I love Vala and everything, but being a big fan of the Replicators, I naturally go towards Fifth.

Especially when he turned evil. Yay for evil

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

I never really liked Maybourne until i read a SG1/BB fic where he was running round in a Pikachu thong He's defo grown on me tho

I gotta go with Vala. She's my new role-model Funny, sexy, sassy...LOVE.HER!

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                              I grew tired of Maybourne, especially as he essentially became a "good guy" in IGTBK. I voted for the evil Kinsey instead. Although I liked Simmons a lot and wished we had seen more of him.
                              I agree with you Seshat. I voted for Kinsey as well.
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X