PDA

View Full Version : Hope the Ori are defeated in Season 10

JLB
December 9th, 2005, 04:28 PM
And I mean early. Let the Aschen be the main bad guys throughout most of the season.

One thing I really don't like about TV shows as they age, there's a sense that the bad guys have to get more powerful the longer it goes on.

Qasim
December 9th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Swap Ori for Aschen

No thank you

PG15
December 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM
You know what? I agree with Jack about the Aschen.

I realllllly do, if you know what I mean.

Mister Oragahn
December 9th, 2005, 05:20 PM
And I mean early. Let the Aschen be the main bad guys throughout most of the season.

One thing I really don't like about TV shows as they age, there's a sense that the bad guys have to get more powerful the longer it goes on.

Excuse me?
Is that the worse than X an enemy is, the less it lasts?
Damn, let's bring evil random God [whatever_name] who lives during the 32 first minutes of the second episode.

JLB
December 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM
You know what? I agree with Jack about the Aschen.

I realllllly do, if you know what I mean.

That they're boring? Yeah, I get that. But bad guys don't do anything for me. The ones who try to be all charismatic just come off as obnoxious for me.

JLB
December 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Excuse me?
Is that the worse than X an enemy is, the less it lasts?
Damn, let's bring evil random God [whatever_name] who lives during the 32 first minutes of the second episode.

I'm not sure I understand you. But let's look at Stargate SG-1. At first we had a group of very powerful aliens masquerading as gods. Then we had one who was basically half a god. Then we had mindless all consuming automations, who had to be absolutely destoyed to be gotten rid of, now we've got beings that are basically are gods.

On BUffy the Vampire Slayer we had a couple of ordinary vampires, then a true demon, then a cyborg, then a god, then Willow was basically turned into an engine of destruction, then the First Evil thing that ever existed.

doombringer333
December 9th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure I understand you. But let's look at Stargate SG-1. At first we had a group of very powerful aliens masquerading as gods. Then we had one who was basically half a god. Then we had mindless all consuming automations, who had to be absolutely destoyed to be gotten rid of, now we've got beings that are basically are gods.
Well, the Replicators were introduced before Anubis and they were arguably more powerful than Anubis. And you're not mentioning the Wraith, who, even though they aren't on SG-1, are as much enemies of earth as the Ori. And if the Wraith kicked the Ancients' around, they probably could beat or at least hold their own with the Ori. So in one sense the bad guys haven't always gotten more powerful as years pass in the SG universe.

The Aschen are cool, but they probably will be nothing more than second tier bad guys. I think it's mostly because they don't have the same emotional resonance the other big bads have. However, I think they'd be good backers for a human-based organization like the Trust.

PG15
December 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM
That they're boring? Yeah, I get that. But bad guys don't do anything for me. The ones who try to be all charismatic just come off as obnoxious for me.

Sure they might be obnoxious (which I don't agree with), but at least they make you feel something (annoyance).

NOTHING is worse than being bored by a show. You can love a show, you can hate a show, you can think it's the worse show ever...but if you think it's boring, then it's completely failed its job, which is to raise some sort of emotion within the viewer.

The Aschen were just that - boring beyond belief.

Lord Shiva
December 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM

On BUffy the Vampire Slayer we had a couple of ordinary vampires, then a true demon, then a cyborg, then a god, then Willow was basically turned into an engine of destruction, then the First Evil thing that ever existed.

And if you consider Angel a part of Buffy (which I do), at the same time the First Evil was assaulting Sunnydale, and ancient evil from another dimension was breaking into the world in LA, and then the last season dealt with an extra-dimensional demonic body that had were running a law firm (lol) making a play on Armageddon on Earth.

Good stuff.

I disagree on the Aschen stuff though - the Aschen were AWESOME bad guys. People liked the Replicators, and they're stiffer then the Aschen :P

the fifth man
December 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM
While I liked the Aschen as an enemy, and would like to see their return, I wouldn't want to see them as the main bad guys. I like the Ori so far, and think they're going to surprise a lot of people with just how bad they can be. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.:)

Loaf
December 10th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I'm realy likeing the ori as bad guy's. I hope their not dfeated for a long, long, long, long, long, long time :D

Albion
December 10th, 2005, 02:38 AM
I'd rather been hoping they'd be defeated in Avalon II - they bore me rigid and I simply don't see the menace and scarifying, I'm afraid. Elsewhere on the forum, just the other day, I read some excellent posts about how they're all the same - completely interchangeable, with no determining personalities. And that's a huge part, I realise, of why I find them compleletely tedious.

I know there's been an Aschen third episode in the works with TPTB for a while now, but I honestly can't see what else there is to tell there. I enjoyed the two Aschen episodes - among my favs - but I just don't think there's more story in those guys. Although it might be interesting to find out what happened to Joe. ;)

Albion :)

Pharaoh Atem
December 10th, 2005, 02:48 AM
no keep the ori. i mean the ori are gods how do you beat that.

and the Aschen got what was coming to them anyway there are probalbly in a black hole right now lol

jazz!
December 10th, 2005, 04:59 AM
2yrs is too short a duration to discover and then totally and utterly annihilate an enmey as powerful as the ori

RA the sun god
December 10th, 2005, 05:51 PM
the aschen for the ori...are u mad that is sooooooo not gonna work...we wuld be swapping ubber baddies for some second rate...well...farmers!!!

JLB
December 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM
the aschen for the ori...are u mad that is sooooooo not gonna work...we wuld be swapping ubber baddies for some second rate...well...farmers!!!

Uh, I think you're a little confused. The Aschen are not farmers. That was the people the Aschen "helped," when SG-1 encountered them in the new timeline. They were a civilization that was pretty urban and I'd guess around 1930's techwise, until the Aschen sterilized them with their disease cure-all and the planet had been reduced to a barely populated agrarian culture that basically supplied the Aschen's needs.

And the Ori don't impress me. They're nothing but their powers.

PG15
December 10th, 2005, 06:05 PM
We shall see.

RA the sun god
December 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM
qoute
Uh, I think you're a little confused. The Aschen are not farmers. That was the people the Aschen "helped," when SG-1 encountered them in the new timeline. They were a civilization that was pretty urban and I'd guess around 1930's techwise, until the Aschen sterilized them with their disease cure-all and the planet had been reduced to a barely populated agrarian culture that basically supplied the Aschen's needs.

And the Ori don't impress me. They're nothing but their powers.
the aschen take over a world then use its resources like...oh i dont know...FARMING IT!!!!

JLB
December 11th, 2005, 04:53 AM
qoute
the aschen take over a world then use its resources like...oh i dont know...FARMING IT!!!!

I suppose they might once the population is totally gone. But actually its the remaining natives that farm it. And their people have to eat.

RA the sun god
December 12th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I suppose they might once the population is totally gone. But actually its the remaining natives that farm it. And their people have to eat.
they are still thecnicaly farming it in that pas epp of sg1 the ship is a askhen harvester see gateworld omnipedia ships ok

JLB
December 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM
they are still thecnicaly farming it in that pas epp of sg1 the ship is a askhen harvester see gateworld omnipedia ships ok

They designed it. Are the people who design John Deere tractors farmers?

the fifth man
December 12th, 2005, 07:12 PM
They designed it. Are the people who design John Deere tractors farmers?

Good point.:)

Jarnin
December 12th, 2005, 09:22 PM
The Aschen were cool at the time. They're no longer anywhere near as powerful as Earth anymore, which is why the writers can't figure out how to reintroduce them.

Think about it: The reason they were interested in an alliance with us was to figure out how the gate worked; that's it. We had almost nothing else to trade with them at that point in time (hyperdrives, asgard/ancient technology, etc.).
We learned in the future history episode that once the Aschen got what they wanted, they were going to forcibly reduce Earth's population by ~90% via sterilization, and probably turn the place into a farm. Instead, we gave them a bunch of nasty addresses, starting with the black hole, and supposedly getting worse from there.

I recall reading in an interview with Brad Wright (I think?) where he was coming up with a third Aschen episode where they put Earth on trial for the destruction of their homeworld (Black hole :)). So they and the other races of the galaxy would judge Earth, and somehow, in the end, Earth would win.

The reason why it was introduced as a "trial against humanity" plot is because the Aschen are weak now; they'd need help from other, more powerful species to harm Earth. They don't have hyperdrives and they don't have a database of gate addresses, which basically means they're no longer a serious threat.

Johnquixote
December 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Well, we could always bring in the Scarrans, Peacekeepers, Nebari? Or howsabout Klingons or Borg? No. Maybe the Empire. Maybe Emperor Ming and the warriors of Mongo. Maybe the Zerg or the bugs from Starship Troopers. What about the Skexies from Dark Crystal?!?!
No, I still the like the Ori.

the fifth man
December 16th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I'm with you, Johnquixote. I like the Ori too. They have a lot of potential to be real bada****!

Johnquixote
December 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
I dono, ever since I thought about the Skexies idea I began to like it more and more. Oh Dark Crystal, what a great movie.

the fifth man
December 20th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I dono, ever since I thought about the Skexies idea I began to like it more and more. Oh Dark Crystal, what a great movie.

Definitely brings back memories. I haven't seen that movie in years.

WraithWarrior
December 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM
The Ori are amazing enemies, I mean they are like the Gou'ald and the Ancients mixed with a little more evil added. I like the way they give their priors power to extend their domain, so to speak, and spread their evil.

the fifth man
December 21st, 2005, 07:04 PM
The Ori are amazing enemies, I mean they are like the Gou'ald and the Ancients mixed with a little more evil added. I like the way they give their priors power to extend their domain, so to speak, and spread their evil.

And actually, we haven't even seen that much of the actual Ori, you know? As things progress in the show, I hope we see more of the Doci being possessed by the Ori. Actually hearing them, giving the Ori a voice. That way we can get an even better grasp of just how evil they really are.

NakedJehutyV2
December 22nd, 2005, 09:42 PM
i' guessing the ori will look alot like the ascended alterrans