This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Gate

I know that the Earth Gate does not have a DHD so we jury rigged a dialling computer so that we could dial out but how comes our gate has a spinning ring inside it and the other gates do not. Both segments are of the same origin meaning that we did not fabricate any part of it. So how comes ours need to turn and others do not?

Cliff
    Got computer problems? visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/tech

Living TV's Most Haunted, get the spooks, visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/mosthaunted.

If our gates were the first gates, then the ancients would then need a secondary means of inputting gate addresses, in case there was a problem with the connection between the dialer (DHD) and the stargate.

By the time the ancients moved to the pegasus galaxy, the stargate technology had already been perfected.
    -- Schrodinger's Cat

Comment

With the dialing computer the gate has to "manually" dial so it spins round to lock each of the Chevrons like we do when we manually dial. Its something that I know a lot on

Comment

You'd think we could build/retro-fit/jerry-rig?/ our own DHD at least from a planet that seems to be barren. it would be so much faster to use a DHD

but I guess it would stop all the cool error messages coming up and make walters job obsolete
        It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

but we wouldent have the cool noise!

but seriously, one of stargates charms is that its earth suddenly given a hugely advanced piece of kit, and a lot of episodes (espec early seasons) are us trying to understand it

Help!
          My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
            With the dialing computer the gate has to "manually" dial so it spins round to lock each of the Chevrons like we do when we manually dial. Its something that I know a lot on
            I'd never thought of it like that, but that makes sense. We are basically forcing it to dial manually with our computer. Which begs the question, is the fact that it spins a safety measure allowing people to dial the gate if the DHD gets damaged? Was this deemed unneccessary on the Pegasus gates (especially the one in Atlantis), because with their electric spinning thing seems to be just lights not a moving ring, which I can't imagine being manually dialed.
            I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

well, the pegasus gates can be dialed from jumpers/darts, so i guess they dident feel the need for it.

you also have to provide a lot of energy to get the ring to unlock, to actually spin it

Help!
              My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by jazz!
                You'd think we could build/retro-fit/jerry-rig?/ our own DHD at least from a planet that seems to be barren. it would be so much faster to use a DHD

but I guess it would stop all the cool error messages coming up and make walters job obsolete
                we have more contol over some thing that the gate does that a DHD can not do.
                Last edited by Joe; 07 December 2005, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
                  we have more contol over some thing that the game does that a DHD can not do.
                  erm...what game?
                  It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Well there are a couple of possibilities. The main one is just continuity or lack thereof. It is possible the producers just switched back and forth without really thinking about it.

Inside the Stargate universe we know that other gates have the potential to spin we have seen it before. It seems likely, because of the slow dialing and turning of the ring that our gate doesn't work like others it doesn't input the adress directly so the chevrons light up right away, it triggers the gate to turn and lock onto the individual symbols, like a manual dial.

Comment

I think I can give a simple answer to all this haha

When a DHD is attached to a Stargate, this allows for quick dialing. IE no inner track movement. The inner track moves only when manually dialing. This takes more time.

The Earth's stargate's (or SGC stargate) inner track moves because the SGC has a dialing computer and not a DHD.

So...the only way to dial out quick is to have a DHD

I'm assuming with all this that every stargate can dial out both "quick" and manually.
                      302's lead the way!

Comment

Lol, that is basically what I said. the dialing computer causes a manual dial, because it can't interface with the gate properly to dial as a dhd would.

Comment

d'oh lol.
                          302's lead the way!

Comment

It's allright, you probably had the idea first.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                              I'd never thought of it like that, but that makes sense. We are basically forcing it to dial manually with our computer. Which begs the question, is the fact that it spins a safety measure allowing people to dial the gate if the DHD gets damaged? Was this deemed unneccessary on the Pegasus gates (especially the one in Atlantis), because with their electric spinning thing seems to be just lights not a moving ring, which I can't imagine being manually dialed.
                              The Atlantis gate doesn't manually dial, cause it has a DHD interfaced with the gate. Which gives me an interesting question if it hasn't been asked before. Can Pegasus gates manually dial?
                              Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                              Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X