PDA

View Full Version : Current Sci-Fi Flicks

David
April 29th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Has anyone been to the theatres for a good sci-fi/fantasy/horror thriller lately?

I really wanted to see Dawn of the Dead but never got around to it.

Shipperahoy
April 29th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Yikes. I won't be seeing Dawn of the Dead ever if I have a choice. Horror flicks disturb me. Deeply. But if your able to watch them without hiding your eyes for almost the entire movie than kudos to you!

It seems like there haven't been any good sci-fi movies released lately. I am looking forward to the Riddick Chronicles which is coming out soon. Can't wait.

GateGipsy
April 29th, 2004, 09:31 AM
I went to see Shawn of the Dead. That had zombies in it and a couple of horrific bits, so would that count as horror? I thought it was hilarious, really well done.

Other than that, this year has been a bit light on that genre for me, although I did go to see Return of the King four times.

I want to go see Van Helsing - apart from Hugh Jackman looking droolworthy, the special effects look pretty tasty too from the trailers.

Shipperahoy
April 29th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Shawn of the Dead? Well I might go see that one. :D

Hugh Jackman....mmmm....uh what was the topic again?

Major Clanger
April 29th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Other than that, this year has been a bit light on that genre for me, although I did go to see Return of the King four times.
I saw ROTK twice (grrrr at you lucky people) but to be honest I don't get to see much in the way of films.

More's the pity.

GateGipsy
April 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
If it makes it to the US - it's a British film. Mind you 28 Days Later, a British horror, did quite well in the US.

http://uip.co.uk/romzom/

The best bit for me is that until the zombies actually attack them they don't even notice, Shawn just keeps on going about his daily business only seeing what he expects to see and therefore missing things like the dead bodies in the front gardens, and the pool of blood he nearly slips over in.

David
April 30th, 2004, 05:42 PM
I enjoyed The Ring. Own it. Mildly enjoyed Jeepers Creepers 1&2. Those are both one-timers for me.

Norlioness
April 30th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I did go to see Return of the King four times.

Cool! I saw ROTK twice, and can't wait for the DVD to be out in May. I also intend to get the extended DVDs too in Nov/Dec.

Norlioness
April 30th, 2004, 09:57 PM
I saw Ella Enchanted - does this qualify as Fantasy? It's quite funny.

David
April 30th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I saw Ella Enchanted - does this qualify as Fantasy? It's quite funny.

Oh, sure. Fairytale=fantasy=...sure!

daxterdd
May 1st, 2004, 12:48 AM
Has anyone been to the theatres for a good sci-fi/fantasy/horror thriller lately?

I really wanted to see Dawn of the Dead but never got around to it.

Sadly, I've only seen LotR this year, and that only once. (Despite working at a movie theater.)

I've heard Dawn of the Dead was excellent, but am a big scaredy cat so never had any interest in seeing it.

daxterdd
May 1st, 2004, 12:57 AM
<snip>

I want to go see Van Helsing - apart from Hugh Jackman looking droolworthy, the special effects look pretty tasty too from the trailers.

Van Helsing, (and Hugh Jackman) both look pretty good. And the Chronicals of Riddick look good too.

What I'm really looking forward to though, is the new Harry Potter movie, coming out in June.

angsty_otaku
May 1st, 2004, 10:46 AM
isn't troy coming out soon? it's sort of fantasy-ish...i'm excited for it :-)

David
May 1st, 2004, 10:53 AM
And the Chronicals of Riddick look good too.

Two Stargate residents, Michael Adamthwaite (Herak) and David Palffy (Anubis/Sokar) are in Riddick!!

daxterdd
May 1st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Two Stargate residents, Michael Adamthwaite (Herak) and David Palffy (Anubis/Sokar) are in Riddick!!

As are Christina Cox (T'akaya) and several actors who played characters without names.

I do believe it was filmed in Canada, that's why there are so many SG1 actors.

aAnubiSs
May 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Would be cool If someone could make a "Releases in Sci-Fi & Fantasy in Month X"-thread for each months. With new movies, DVD:s, books and such stuff. Would take much research though.

David
May 5th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I do believe it was filmed in Canada, that's why there are so many SG1 actors.

Vancouver, yes.

I just wish more actors we're familiar with would get more important roles than Dead Soldier #8.

Spaceminx
May 7th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I saw Shaun of the Dead at Easter and loved every minute of it. In fact I want to see it again....and again. The in-jokes were fab.

"Would any body like.......a peanut?"

I'm off to see Van Helsing tonight.

Teal'c
May 7th, 2004, 12:41 PM
I looooooooooved Shaun of the Dead, much better than Dawn of the Dead, and they even had Jeremy Thompson from Sky News! :P It's definatly a classic.

Van Helsing looks pretty crappy, trying to cash in on the current fantasy obsession of the general audience, I can guarentee there'll be plot holes a plenty there! :P (Speaking of which, the plot itself could use some work... kill Dracula... :P)

SGSlugger
May 7th, 2004, 01:04 PM
The only thing going for Van Helsing are the graphics and the action. I'll still probably go and see it tough.

Cannot wait for Troy and Shrek 2.

Shipperahoy
May 7th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I'm going to go see Van Helsing tonight. What can I say? Hugh Jackman can make up for a lot of plot holes. But I'm just shallow that way.

And I'm waiting on pins and needles for the Chronicles of Riddick. Mmmm...Vin Diesel. Story? I don' need no stinkin' stories.

Spaceminx
May 8th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I can confirm that Van Helsing is a rather average film. Its fun if you try not to think about it too much but I found it difficult to ignore the fact that they used every action/adventure/horror cliche imaginable. :rolleyes: On the whole I preferred Underworld.

Although, if all you want to do is drool over Hugh Jackman wearing nothing more than ripped, barely-there trousers then this is the film for you. :p

Shipperahoy
May 8th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Yes, I'm sorry to say that even a half naked Hugh Jackman didn't make me love this film. It wasn't absolutely wretched. I'm going on the assumption that they were actually trying to make it somewhat cheesy like the old school monster movies. It would have been much better if it had been about 45 minutes shorter. It really didn't need to be over 2 hours long.

Champos
May 19th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Agreed as regards Van Helsing. I thought the basic story of the demon hunter sponsored by the Catholic Church has a lot of potential, but the film just didn't do it for me. Most of it was just one cliche after another. Dissappointing I thought. But... while we're on the subject...
There's a bit near the end when Van Helsing and Dracula are having their showdown and they're talking and Dracula reveals what Van Helsing's past is, and it's something to do with the ring on the finger and... the sound had cut out and I've no idea what either of them was saying at that point. Could someone maybe summarise that for me, just so I know what I missed.

Spaceminx
May 20th, 2004, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure I can remember what the denoument of VH was...
I think it turned out that Drac and Van went back a long way. My brother has just said that the insignia on VH's ring was his family's emblem and either VH or his father was the person that killed Drac in the first place. The rest of it isn't very clear I'm afraid.