This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeon Flux?

Has anyone watched this movie yet? Would like some feedback before I go see it.

I saw the Anime DVD box set on sale last night.
    Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Yes, I saw it yesterday. I don't want to repeat myself too much so I'll just quote myself:

I saw the movie today. It's not like Tomb Raider. It's good, not great but certainly entertaining. The true highlights are the graphics and the costumes. Both were absolutely beautiful; the whole setting was. I did get the sense that a lot of the focus was on Theron's beauty and the costumes though, but the plot is a bit more straightforward and less melodramatic than TR.

The plot felt like it was missing a little something. The movie has a cool impersonal feel to it that I don't particularly like but I have a feeling other people love that kind of thing. Apart from some uncomfortable looking, impractical and revealing nightware (which I assume is in line with the animated version) it was fairly satisfying.

I don't think enough can be said about the costumes. It just struck the right balance. Not too revealing, sexy, unique, and futuristic without being unattractive or uncomfortable looking (generally speaking).

Of course you could go with Pajiba's review which compares the film to the pain of pre-colonoscopy anal irrigation....http://www.pajiba.com/aeon-flux.htm But if you want to see the film you might want to skip that particular review and see it with a less critical eye.
    Last edited by MarshAngel; 04 December 2005, 08:17 AM.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

we saw it yesterday

not a bad movie. not a great movie.
      2.5 outta 5.

never watched the toon on empty-v so don't know how it compares.

i didn't regret spending my money on it.
      Thanks!
      Jordan

my page
      My LJ
      From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I haven't seen it myself, but I read an interesting review from Aint it Cool News, and they are pretty reliable. http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21942
        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

This movie is getting tons of hate from critics, which I don't really understand. Most of the complaints center around an "undecipherable plot"... but I understood the plot just fine. Other reviews complain that the characters act a bit "dead", but that also fits right in to the storyline and is actually fairly normal for most "future society sucks scifi"... see Matrix or Dark City, etc.

The action isn't that great, but I like the storyline stuff (but I like weird anime-ish twisted storylines with characters acting unreasonably) and the design is fantastic. I want Goodchild's suit. MINE!!!

Anyways, if you like the type of sci fi featuring oppressive governments, where "everything is not how it appears!" and you don't mind the action is a bit hokey at times, I think you will like this flick. I was VERY drawn into the film the entire time. *shrug*

Just a warning: the narrative intro that sets up the universe is poorly done, so the film DOES get off on the wrong foot to begin with. But once Aeon stops explaining stuff and stuff actually starts happening, I liked it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Weir's Hair Gel
            Just a warning: the narrative intro that sets up the universe is poorly done, so the film DOES get off on the wrong foot to begin with. But once Aeon stops explaining stuff and stuff actually starts happening, I liked it a lot.
            That's very true. I was quite a bit thrown off in the beginning of the film and it immediately made me think that if this is the way it's going to continue, then this movie sucks but it does get better. I don't know if the writers assumed viewers would know a lot about the anime but perhaps thats why they didn't bother to develop the characters at all and thats really where the movie falls short.

Most of the critics are probably pissed because they had to go see it with everyone else since they didn't screen it for critics. The movie has its problems but it's no Gigli.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I finally got to see it last night and I loved it. I do not understand where all the anti-Aeon stuff is coming from, but I thought that for being live action it was awesome. Charlize did a bang up job as Aeon and IMHO would love to see it again and again. This is one movie I will be adding to my DVD collection when it comes out. Aeon Flux proves beyond a doubt that Charlize can make a good scifi flick.
              All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
              Pay it forward

Comment

The movie was a blast with acting spot on. The character development was amazing and the costume/sets were spectacular.
                I went into the movie expecting to see a sci-fi future flick, not some oscar winning melo-drama. These fvcktard critics should judge the movie based on it's intended genre and audience. I dont watch the English Patient and ask for more sex appeal, guns, expolosions, and maylee.

The movie had a lot of cool technology that secured the futuristic role.
                I would like to see a sequel to see how the society flourishes.

It could be that this movie is getting bad reviews the by the liberal media/reviewers becuase the whole plot of the movie is seeking to undermine a massive goverment that has it's fingers in everyones lives.
                Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
                Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

I guess some could view it as anarchist, but even then it does not really go there,
                  Spoiler:
                  just because the people are clones

does not make it antidisestblishmentarianism.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Weir's Hair Gel
                    This movie is getting tons of hate from critics, which I don't really understand.
                    Well, for starters...the makers of the movie wouldn't let anyone review the movie before it was released. I believe they had to just go and see it when it came out. That makes critics mad, and it usually is a sign that the movie is so bad that they would rather skip all the publicity gained by an early review since it would all just be bashing it anyway.

I'm a little surprised from some of the comments here saying it's not all that bad, I think I'll wait till video. I will go see King Kong and Underworld: Evolution in the theatre no matter what though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheObiJuan
                      It could be that this movie is getting bad reviews the by the liberal media/reviewers becuase the whole plot of the movie is seeking to undermine a massive goverment that has it's fingers in everyones lives.
                      Sounds like you need to open up another politics thread.

Comment

would that be the democratic vs. republican thread?

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                          I'm independent so hopefully not.

Comment

Originally posted by TheObiJuan
                            It's ironic that you mention that because I'd read a similar thing only from an opposite point of view. If only I could remember where I read it but it mentioned that middle America would have a hard time accepting a film about taking pills that take you to a higher place in your mind and creates a psychic connection between you and another person who tells you what to do; which they saw as a metaphor for drugs.

It's all about your personal perspective and biases. You can see whatever you want to see especially when it comes to movies and literature. It's a waste of time to try to guess at the political standings of reviewers on something as unimportant as a scifi film of this kind.

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                              I hope not as I am neither...
                              Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
                              Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

Working...
                              X