This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anime to Liveaction

Well, apparantly, they're going to be making a feature film of Neon Genesis Evangellion with Wetta workshop (the guys behind the Lord of the Rings) doing some designs for it. And everyone remembers the Guyver films (Mutronics and Dark Hero)

So my question is, what anime, if any, would you like to see turned into a liveaction movie/TV series, if it was done by people who respected the originals.

For me, my top choice would be Tenchi Muyo, doing a 40 episode series, that continues into a big epic trilogy of films. Followed by Guyver... and yes, even DBZ.

How about you lot... what would you like to see... if anything?

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
    Lister: 'Why not?'
    Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
    Cat: 'Can we see him?'
    Rimmer: 'See who?'
    Cat: 'The king.'
    Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
    Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
    Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

James Cameron is making Battle Angel Alita. He's got a huge budget, something like $300 million, and it'll have photorealistic CGI.

Comment

there is a couple live action anime movies being made now. Michael Bay is directing a live action transformer movie (and Spielberg will be an excutive producer) and a 4 part DBZ movie has been in development for a few years now (each movie focusing on each of the 4 main sagas) and off course Evangelion which has already been mentioned.

although these are US based movies, Aki Maeda (Battle Royale) is doing a live action version of Saikano which is out in Japan in 2 months.

if i had to choice which shows, Tenchi Muyo would be one, Cowboy Bebop Fullmetal Alchemist, a proper Gundam movie (not that lame one the US did), Noir, Blood: the last vampire and Trigun are shows of the top of my head that i'd like to see made live action

sigpic

Comment

If they do end up making and releasing the Eva live action movie I will eat my hat. They've only raised half the production costs so far to my understanding. And how in the hell do you capture the huge mecha and Angels, general wimpy emo-ness and anti-hero qualities of Shinji, and the complete wtf ending in a live setting? I just don't know if it can be done, much less done well...

Sure some anime series can be made into live action movies, but the question is always SHOULD they. There's lots of potential for completely botching the series. Plus you need to pick a series that has enough broad appeal to be marketable.

If done properly, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex might make a cool movie. Cowboy Bebop, Read or Die, and Last Exile could too.

Comment

They should just make an exact copy of Eva or anything like that. What they should do is take the history of the anime, their origins, and do what they want from there, but respect the original idea.

So Eva, the ending i hated, the films/series would do it very differently... even tell the story differently. Thats what i'd like to see with Tenchi Muyo. Take the OVA origins, and go from there, but sticking as close to the characters as possible.

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
          Lister: 'Why not?'
          Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
          Cat: 'Can we see him?'
          Rimmer: 'See who?'
          Cat: 'The king.'
          Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
          Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
          Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

I like the Idea, but I want to see it done well.
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

This should prove interesting since Richard Taylor from King Kong is signed on for it.
              http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=33604
              All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
              Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                James Cameron is making Battle Angel Alita. He's got a huge budget, something like $300 million, and it'll have photorealistic CGI.
                He's already planning to make it a trilogy. Casting for the movie began about 3 days ago. I've read all of the comics and can't wait for Last Order: Volume 7 and the Movie. Oh, and the movie will be 3D.
                Last edited by Crichton; 08 December 2005, 12:05 PM.

Comment

A casting call recently placed on the "Mail Finn Casting" site for James Cameron's upcoming sci fi actioner BATTLE ANGEL ALITA revealed a few important tidbits about the movie. First off, Cameron has apparently opted to go with an unknown in the lead, which, like Bryan Singer's SUPERMAN RETURNS, shouldn't affect the MASSIVE appeal of this movie in any way considering this is Cameron's first non-documentary feature post-TITANIC. Add to that the fact that it also happens to be vintage sci fi action Cameron and you have yourself a box office goldmine right there. Secondly, there's an interesting note about the main character Alita. According to the casting call, Alita moves and behaves with confidence and a sense of nobility. Lithe as a cat. Athletic and agile, she is a warrior. Graceful movement and an ear for languages and dialects are essential. Thirdly, and definitely the most exciting of all, Cameron is looking to start production in Spring 2006 possibly for a summer 2007 release. (holy ****, this is a HELL of a lot closer than many of us anticipated!)

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/4120/gunnm26dn.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/4761/gunnm58qb.jpg
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 05 May 2015, 12:23 AM. Reason: some pic tags edited.

Comment

Originally posted by Crichton
                    A casting call recently placed on the "Mail Finn Casting" site for James Cameron's upcoming sci fi actioner BATTLE ANGEL ALITA revealed a few important tidbits about the movie. First off, Cameron has apparently opted to go with an unknown in the lead, which, like Bryan Singer's SUPERMAN RETURNS, shouldn't affect the MASSIVE appeal of this movie in any way considering this is Cameron's first non-documentary feature post-TITANIC. Add to that the fact that it also happens to be vintage sci fi action Cameron and you have yourself a box office goldmine right there. Secondly, there's an interesting note about the main character Alita. According to the casting call, Alita moves and behaves with confidence and a sense of nobility. Lithe as a cat. Athletic and agile, she is a warrior. Graceful movement and an ear for languages and dialects are essential. Thirdly, and definitely the most exciting of all, Cameron is looking to start production in Spring 2006 possibly for a summer 2007 release. (holy ****, this is a HELL of a lot closer than many of us anticipated!)
                    Battle Angel and Halo in the same summer? '07's gonna rule.

Is Cameron still going forward with the new 3D filming technology he was working on?

a time to mourn

Comment

I gotta say Cowboy Bebop. It has the style and pick-up-and-watch elements that would make it mainstream aceptable.... in other words it would be kick ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                        Is Cameron still going forward with the new 3D filming technology he was working on?
                        He's on record saying that every movie he does for the rest of his career will utilize 3-D so I think it's a yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Qtyled
                          I gotta say Cowboy Bebop. It has the style and pick-up-and-watch elements that would make it mainstream aceptable.... in other words it would be kick ass.
                          Don't you mean Serenity??

Comment

Battle Angel could be good as long as they don't dilute it down to simply a woman kicking some bum, ala Tomb Raider and now Aeon Flux. I hope Cameron takes the time to explore BA's universe; it's quite interesting.

What is this 3D technology? I haven't heard of it before.

Originally posted by Crichton
                            Don't you mean Serenity??
                            Ha, good call. I wonder if Whedon got any inspiration from the anime? Both have a rag-tag, gritty crew of bounty hunters getting into various misfits. I would imagine if you like one there's a good chance you'll like the other.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                              What is this 3D technology? I haven't heard of it before.
                              You know, I really have no idea what it actually is? I've heard from several web sites that it's going to be the new standard for theatres. That wouldn't surprise me at all, if theatres' don't figure out how to offer something that we can't get at home then pretty soon no one will go.

Comment

Working...
                              X