This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate and Ramp

Hokay, so, the ramp leading to the earth gate goes all the way through the gate, so is it just me or does it not have a thin line missing where the event horison materialises? surely it should but a thin slice through it.

hmmmmmmm......maybe the 'swooosh' or flush of the event horizen is perfectly cylindrical, so that the ramp is designed just below it to avoid being hit.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

but anything that goes into the gate is dematerialised, like kawalski's head, and because not all of the whole ramp goes in, it wouldnt rematerialise on the otherside

Comment

Well, the gates were made by a race of people millions of years more advanced than us. So it isn't unreasonable to assume that the gate is capable of detecting a ramp or staircase leading up to it, and acting accordingly.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
          Well, the gates were made by a race of people millions of years more advanced than us. So it isn't unreasonable to assume that the gate is capable of detecting a ramp or staircase leading up to it, and acting accordingly.
          I agree with your assessment Mio.
          Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
          Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

That or the ramp just stops short of event horizon.
            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

I doubt it 'detects' anything. doesn't quite make sense. Maybe it dematerializes when the 'gate is active, then rematerializes when it deactivates because it was never sent anywhere, still being part of the whole ramp which wasn't fully enveloped, like _wormhole_physics_ said.
              "Do you people practice being vague?"

Comment

I think if you watch carefully, there is a split in the ramp where the event horizon forms. Also, the "vortex", "energy swoosh" or what have you is only a certain size and "swooshes" out at 180 degrees (or a straight line haha) so the ramp is unaffected.
                302's lead the way!

Comment

The gate can however stop atmosphere from going through a wormhole, so why couldn't it detect a ramp or stairs?
                  I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Originally posted by SGRanger06
                    I think if you watch carefully, there is a split in the ramp where the event horizon forms. Also, the "vortex", "energy swoosh" or what have you is only a certain size and "swooshes" out at 180 degrees (or a straight line haha) so the ramp is unaffected.
                    i agree with you
                    i am looking at an image and from what i can see there is a slight gap about the same thickness as the gate in it.

Comment

Well if you notice, the Atlantis gate is wedged in the floor with no gap whatsoever:

and you'd think the kawoosh would eat it up in a second, but maybe the floor of the Atlantis gateroom is indestructable or something?

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
                      - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
                      - "I'm taking this loop off..."
                      - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
                      - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
                      - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

Originally posted by captain_kirk999
                        Well if you notice, the Atlantis gate is wedged in the floor with no gap whatsoever:

and you'd think the kawoosh would eat it up in a second, but maybe the floor of the Atlantis gateroom is indestructable or something?
                        Why would it need to be indestructible? Just durable enough to be unaffected by the kawoosh, which thus far we've only really seen affect relatively soft/organic materials.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                          Why would it need to be indestructible? Just durable enough to be unaffected by the kawoosh, which thus far we've only really seen affect relatively soft/organic materials.
                          How about the hardened layer of rock (Partially composed of naquada) it destroyed in 'A Hundred Days' ?

Ice destroyed in 'Solitudes'?

The ground in Death Knell?

The Kawoosh can destroy ANYTHING. It just so happens that it leaves the floor alone.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                            How about the hardened layer of rock (Partially composed of naquada) it destroyed in 'A Hundred Days' ?
                            That wasn't rock, that was just mud and dirt, as Teal'c was able to dig up through it and O'Neill down through it.

Ice destroyed in 'Solitudes'?
                            Woo, ice, the hardest substance known to man!

The ground in Death Knell?
                            Some dirt, not exactly hard as they come.

The Kawoosh can destroy ANYTHING. It just so happens that it leaves the floor alone.
                            Nah, going back to my steam example, steam can be pretty damaging, but you can't use it against a couple of soft items and then claim it can destroy anything.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
                              That or the ramp just stops short of event horizon.

Thats exactly what I said a few replies up/\/\ GMTA
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                              X