This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does the 302 have 2 seats

in intruder sheppard is able to fly and shoot on his own, so why does it have 2 seats, it is a part of the design that has always confused me

navigator

Comment

It' s not unheard of. I believe in most two seat fighters (and attack helicopters), either person can fly and shoot if need be. However each has their own specialty, generally one concentrates on flying the craft and (sometimes) firing weapons while the other keeps an eye on the radar and their course and the various systems of the craft and sometimes weapons (ground attack weapons for instance while the pilot just concentrates on flying and not getting shot since you're most vulnerable when lining up to drop a bomb/launch a missile).

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
        It' s not unheard of. I believe in most two seat fighters (and attack helicopters), either person can fly and shoot if need be. However each has their own specialty, generally one concentrates on flying the craft and (sometimes) firing weapons while the other keeps an eye on the radar and their course and the various systems of the craft and sometimes weapons (ground attack weapons for instance while the pilot just concentrates on flying and not getting shot since you're most vulnerable when lining up to drop a bomb/launch a missile).
        I thought the second seat was either the navigator, or the weapons guy. one guy flies, the other guy fires. It makes more sense for the second guy to be a weapons guy. With something as sophisticated as an F-302, a navigator seems rather obsolete.

Comment

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that there's generally some redundancy built in so that if, say, something happened to the pilot, the navigator could fly the plane in. Also that way they can spell each other on long flights and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
            Also that way they can spell each other on long flights and stuff.
            Auto pilot works wonders, too. In a way, the two pilots would probably use auto-pilot to do the bulk of the flying until it came to the point where the two pilots had to execute their mission.

Comment

Whoever is in the back is known as the RIO or the Radar Intelligence Opperator. Essentially they control the Radar and from the looks of things they can also navigate as well which would make a lot of sense if the Hyperdrive worked. As for weapons the RIO has nothing to do with them it is always the Pilots call when to fire them and don't think he can fly either because of safety reasons, if things go wrong he's meant to just eject. If you ever watch the film Top Gun you'll get a fair idea of what I'm talking about.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Light entertainment and a guest star to kill off. Either that or the co-piolot who can take control of any function at the pilots time of choosing. Might be navigator though. The thing is, Intruder isnt the best example as McKay wasnt trained to fly the 302, episodes like Avalon and Origin as well as Homecoming are better examples to look at to find some answers
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Remember when they flew the failed X-301? They might have taken out the second seat if that mission proved that they didn't need it, but that's not what happened. Also, if you have O'neil and Teal'c flying, with O'neil in the front, and he blanks out when excuting a high-G turn without inertial dampeners, then Teal'c can take over. But this brings up the question, is it possible for the inertial dampeners to fail in combat or are they an integral subsystem?
                  Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                  The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                  A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                  That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                  Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                  Caboose: They could be worse?
                  Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Two heads are better than one.

The most simple answer is usually the right one.

Comment

lol

and I say its the Navi
                      I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
                      so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
                      But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
                      Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
                      GW My home away from home....
                      My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

The person in the second seat can take over if the first person becomes incapacitated. And they might operate other systems like navigation.
                        "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
                        " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
                        Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Originally posted by DragonGate
                          The person in the second seat can take over if the first person becomes incapacitated. And they might operate other systems like navigation.
                          The need for 2 pilots is there, but I don't think thats why. If one pilot is incapacitated from external damage, it's highly unlikely that the other one won't be also, especially in an F-320 in space combat.
                          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                            Whoever is in the back is known as the RIO or the Radar Intelligence Opperator. Essentially they control the Radar and from the looks of things they can also navigate as well which would make a lot of sense if the Hyperdrive worked. As for weapons the RIO has nothing to do with them it is always the Pilots call when to fire them and don't think he can fly either because of safety reasons, if things go wrong he's meant to just eject. If you ever watch the film Top Gun you'll get a fair idea of what I'm talking about.
                            The F15E Strike Eagle is probably our closest Air Force plane to the F302. The Weapon Systems Officer selects targets, monitors the plane and radar and such, helps keep an eye out visually as well. He also has a set of controls that he can use to guide the plane home if needed. I'd be surprised if the F302 isn't similar.

Comment

if you needed to do a tricky monover and do a tricky shot, one controling the flying one controling the weapons
                              but either can control either.

and also 2 head are better then one is very true.
                              Hola

Hello

Comment

Working...
                              X