PDA

View Full Version : Season 10 & Vala

acce
November 23rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
When i read that Vala was to be a regular cast member I was so depressed...
Why?
Most of the episodes with Vala were not serious at all...
Do they want to turn stargate sg1 in a comedy?
I only hope that the writers will make her serious, I don't care a little humor like Jack , but not like she did before...
They are wasting Claudia's talent...
I only hope that in the other half of season 9 and season 10, they will work on Mitchell also. We don't know who he is really?
What I felt about him in first half of season 9, is that they wanted to make a Jack Junior with Mitchell...
I Liked how they introduced Sheppard in Atlantis, he is good, they should have done the same with Mitchell...

I like the Ori threat, it seem really more serious than the goa'uld that I never believed to be so powerful afterall, but the Ori, are real bad guys, tough to beat, I like this..

I like a meeting between the Ori and wraith, lol it would be exciting ...!

I just hope Stargate will be serious, not a big joke like a few episodes on the first half of season 9....

pinguino_89
November 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
When i read that Vala was to be a regular cast member I was so depressed...
Why?
I only hope that the writers will make her serious, I don't care a little humor like Jack , but not like she did before...
They are wasting Claudia's talent...

SPOILERS of season 8 or 9

Vala also have a dramatic part, she has been host of a goauld and has been rejected from her people, maybe the writers can explore more that part and make her a little more serious. I hope so :rolleyes:

brihana25
November 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM

One.

Exactly one of the episodes with Vala wasn't serious at all (excepting that part in the middle where it was).

Or maybe you find things like being trapped in strangers' bodies in whole other galaxies, meeting the creepiest bad guys I've seen in a long time, finding out that our galaxy is about to be invaded by said bad guys, being burned to death, and/or watching entire planets full of people die to be humorous?

I just hope Stargate will be serious, not a big joke like a few episodes on the first half of season 9....

One.

AGateFan
November 23rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Vala the character is a standard Sci fi female. Nothing special about her. Nothing like the original Stargate characters.

Stargate is now relegated to standard B grade sci fi. Vala an her sprog should, be fun and exciting (not) just like the last pathetic season of farscape or Xena. Not worth my time watching....

Although I will continue to post until this too no longer amuses me.

LORD MONK
November 23rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
One.

Exactly one of the episodes with Vala wasn't serious at all (excepting that part in the middle where it was).

Or maybe you find things like being trapped in strangers' bodies in whole other galaxies, meeting the creepiest bad guys I've seen in a long time, finding out that our galaxy is about to be invaded by said bad guys, being burned to death, and/or watching entire planets full of people die to be humorous?

One.
I think what Acce was getting at was that Vala's character isn't serious. She was cracking jokes while being draged only to be set on fire.

Vala should not at all be a regular. She has know military background, purpose or reason for being on the show right now. TPTB has to introduce all of this for allot of people to buy into it.

So far she is a thief, someone that can't be trusted and is only in it for herself. So what does the SGC have for her and what does she want in return.

The team has four people already. What is she going to be doing?

The bottom line is she needs to develop her character and give her a solid reason to join. And I would like it to be a moral one and not a reason to furhter her person wealth.

yabyumpan
November 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
I think what Acce was getting at was that Vala's character isn't serious. She was cracking jokes while being draged only to be set on fire.

The bottom line is she needs to develop her character and give her a solid reason to join. And I would like it to be a moral one and not a reason to furhter her person wealth.

Oh, come on, how many times has Jack been in life-threatening situations and cracking jokes at the same time?

I agree that her character needs to be developed and that there needs to be a good reason for her to on the show full time, I'm sure TPTB are working on that right now.

So far she is a thief, someone that can't be trusted and is only in it for herself she's also someone who tried her hardest to cure the people in TPTB and was willing to sacrifice herself in Beachead. She's also an ex-host who (as far as we know) was kicked, spat on and rejected in the aftermath, who had no support system to help her (unlike Skaara, Sam, Kendra, Sarah). She has knowledge of the Gao'uld from her time as a host as well as knowledge of other parts of the universe , like the Lucian Allience, that the SGC doesn't. Who knows what useful infomation she'll bring back from the Ori galaxy. She may not have a military background but she's shown that she's quite capable of looking after herself and others, should the need arise. She can also use Gao'uld hand devices which has already proved useful.
I think there's great scope for the character to be useful to the SGC and for her to be an interesting character in her own right. I'd like to see her time as a Gao'uld explored as well as her de-gao'ulding. I'd like to see her finding out about Sha're and connecting to Daniel in that way. I like to see her bonding with Sam over being ex-hosts. As I say, great scope for the character and for the show to pick up past threads.

brihana25
November 23rd, 2005, 03:13 PM
The team has four people already. What is she going to be doing?

Who ever said she was going to part of SG-1? Who even said she was going to be in the opening credits? They said she signed on as a regular character - just like Janet, Jacob, Bra'tac, and Caroline are regular characters.

And I have no idea what she'll be doing. No one has any idea what she'll be doing. And all this "gloom and doom"ing crap is starting to get on my nerves. Every season it's the same exact thing - Character A is going to be sidelined! Character C is going to get more screen time than anyone else! Character F is nothing but Character X from Show Y with a different name!

And it never happens. None of the stuff that people gripe and groan and moan and complain about months before the season even gets written ever happens.

I'm not saying that people don't have a right to complain or express their feelings, but FCOL, do they have to do it in every single thread? Or start 10,000 different threads about the exact same thing?

Okay, we get it - Vala's coming back, and some people a ticked. Some people are happy. And a vastly higher number than either of those groups just don't even care.

I'm getting sick and tired of being made to feel like some sort of traitor because I happen to like Vala and I'm glad she's coming back next season.

Yes, she's been the comic relief so far this season, but so what? Jack's stupidity has been the comic relief since S4 on. At least Vala's starting out that way instead of turning stupid halfway through. Maybe she doesn't have any deeper qualities - I don't know. But even if she doesn't, I'd much rather have a character that starts out with no depth than another one that starts out strong, smart, and charismatic and turns stupid 4 years later just for the sake of a few cheap laughs.

Turboz
November 23rd, 2005, 04:01 PM
If vala is the woman in black then thank the lord!

It's about time SG-1 had a good looking mature woman again after Dr Fraser. She's a real fit babe for a woman in her 30's and to be honest I quite like her.

Carter isn't really very attractive and I've always found her a bit boring to look at. Hope that doesn't cause offence..

-Turboz

AGateFan
November 23rd, 2005, 04:05 PM
If vala is the woman in black then thank the lord!

It's about time SG-1 had a good looking mature woman again after Dr Fraser. She's a real fit babe for a woman in her 30's and to be honest I quite like her.

Carter isn't really very attractive and I've always found her a bit boring to look at. Hope that doesn't cause offence..

-Turboz
Yes, because thats what SG-1 is all about. The Babes... babes and hunks...
I mean you read the synopisis in TV guide and it is Stargate SG-1 the life gaurds of the Milky way... look at them run ooooo bouncing booobbbieeessss yay.

sg-1fanintn
November 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Oh, come on, how many times has Jack been in life-threatening situations and cracking jokes at the same time?
The difference is that Jack is an honorable person. Vala (as written) is a thief and an opportunist, and a very self-centered one at that.

I'm sure TPTB plan to redeem her. They started with her exit from the show when she saved the day. But after eight years of what I know to be Stargate canon, they haven't yet convinced me that this character has anything to offer the SGC. More likely, I think they'd throw her in the brig, after everything she's pulled.

And before anyone gets angry at what I've said, please read this. I was a Farscape fan. I really like CB and BB. I just don't like these characters, because TPTB haven't given me any reason to like them. They've added practically nothing to S9.

Vala the character is a standard Sci fi female. Nothing special about her. Nothing like the original Stargate characters.

Stargate is now relegated to standard B grade sci fi. Vala an her sprog should, be fun and exciting (not) just like the last pathetic season of farscape or Xena. Not worth my time watching....

That's what I fear too! They still have a chance to redeem it, tell us what happened to Jack, give Sam and Jack a happy ending and give me a reason to like the new characters. What disappoints me is that so far, they've done none of that!!! I can't fathom why. If they had maintained the respect for the characters they had already created while they were introducing the new ones, they might have kept all the old viewers plus picked up the new ones. As it is, they've just broken even.

Bad business.

Erised
November 23rd, 2005, 07:26 PM
well, I'm not too excited about Vala joining SG-1. But I guess the atmosphere between her and Danny is worth the sacrifice! I swear I'm going to live longer (because of laughter) just because of Stargate! lol

walterIsTheMan
November 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM
We're already having a big debate over this in this thread:
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=20428

As I stated in my posts in that thread, Vala is a great character and her humor will help to make up for RDA's absence. I look forward to season ten:).

plaw15
November 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
I like vala. She brings back some of the humor that left with jack, the scenes with vala and daniel are pretty funny so I like that she will be in season 10.

the fifth man
November 24th, 2005, 12:02 AM

Damn, sorry to have lost you friend.

the fifth man
November 24th, 2005, 12:04 AM
One.

One.

Nice post, IMHO. I'd green you if I could.:)

AutumnDream
November 24th, 2005, 12:19 AM

Was it ever not a comedy? :p

Seriously, I think it's nigh impossible for Stargate to lose the intense and epic drama we've been subjected to for all these years. They'll do something really cool with Vala. I liked her in the episode "TPTB" for once, so I can see where she might be going. As long as she loses the lame jokes, or they get Carl Binder to write her material. Or she gets some wisecrack lessons from O'Neill or Sheppard. Whatever it takes. :D

Maltrancko
November 24th, 2005, 02:04 AM
I know I'm going to sound UnAustralian for this, but I don't like Vala either. I like Claudia's other works... but not in my stargate!!!

alfirin_kirinki
November 24th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I can't bear to watch SG-1 when she's in it. Bang goes season ten, then.

SallyLizzie
November 24th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I'm was totally stoked when i heard she was backin S10.

Was it ever not a comedy? :p Exactly. SG1 isn't just scifi. It has drama, comedy and action too. TPTB themselves have said it's multi-genre...like most things these days.

Vala the character is a standard Sci fi female. Nothing special about her. Nothing like the original Stargate characters.Riiiight, because 5 eps into S1 we all knew how special SG1 were :rolleyes: I don't think any of them got interesting until S2.
A character is only as interesting as the writer makes them. Cumon, how much work do you want on a character that was only going to be in 1 (PU) then 4 eps?

The backstory we DO have on Vala is an excellent foundation for some very interesting stories (like pinguino 89 mentioned earlier).

Just look at the scene in Origin where she's talking to Daniel about not being able to save everyone. I don't think she was blagging him there - she had no reason to.....and in Avalon 2 she was visably distraught after being burned alive . Just bc she isn't serious all the time doesn't mean she can't be.

So far she is a thief, someone that can't be trusted and is only in it for herself.Precisley. So far. Hello!? She's spent the last, how many years?, having to fend for herself after being exiled from her planet. She does what she does to surive and get ahead, not fall into the dredges of society..to end up a slave for some God.
Who else has she had to be 'in it' for? As far as we know..nobody. No close family or friends Anyone she did have chose to disown her after she was taken by the gou'ald Maybe being with SG1, forming bonds with people, caring about people and vice versa will do her good.

So she jokes a lot. So did Jack, and i don't recall anyone moaning about him using humour as a defense mechanism. Or it could just be that, like me, she's very 'straight' and says what she thinks..be it sarcastic, literal or just plain goofy, People have found things i've said to be funny even when i was being serious

Basically, i think Vala is full of potential and look forward to S10 :)

The Engineer
November 24th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Basically, i think Vala is full of potential and look forward to S10 :)
Yes, she does.

acce
November 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM

-Turboz

OH COME ONNNNNNN, What Kind of ..... ARRGGGG.... If its babes you wanna see, watch something else.....
They've done that to increase ratings, instead to work on a beter senario........ Come on.....

SaberBlade
November 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM
a lot of replies so far, if this has been said, shoot me.

i am not that happy with the idea. i'm in a neurtal state.with Landry, Mitchell and the Doctor who i can't rmember at the moment, i was hoping we'd see more character development with them. Vala was a good character, but i hope to see her change from the comedy role which she is currently filling.

i do think that with more serious roles for her well she the development of a very interesting character (such as her former goa'uld past) but i'd rather focus on the other new cast members and even on some of the older ones (walter still deserves his own episode) and not waste time on a character who at the moment doesn't really interest me.

Heffa
November 24th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I haven't seen Season 9 yet, I was a fan of Farscape as well, very interesting show.
[QUOTE=SaberBlade
(walter still deserves his own episode) [/QUOTE]

AMEN to that hahah or Harimond or technician whatever his name is. That would be awesome if they did like "Lost City" from his perspective or something hahaha

In Prometheus Unbound tho (spoilers)

I sorta liked her, but she needs way more development, the Daniel Vala relationship is awesome, but i think she needs way more then just that to survive and be likable.....But i have faith in the writers of this awesome show

the fifth man
November 24th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I don't think Vala will just be the comedy act anymore. Yes, she'll still throw out some awesome material from time to time, but we have started to see a change in her. It started in "The Powers That Be", and culminated in "Beachhead". I am relatively optimistic about what tptb have planned with her. And SaberBlade, as for Walter having his own ep, that would sooo rock!

Kirara
November 25th, 2005, 03:55 AM
The difference is that Jack is an honorable person. Vala (as written) is a thief and an opportunist, and a very self-centered one at that.

I'm sure TPTB plan to redeem her. They started with her exit from the show when she saved the day.

They can try to redeem her as much as they want. After that what I have seen from her I will not accept her as a part of SG 1. She is, as you said it, completly self-centred and opportunistic and I will ever believe that she is just pretending to have changed. I have meet in reality too much people like her, who just enjoy it to make the life for other people bad so that they can feel a little bit more important, as that I would want watching someone like her destroying my favourite TV show. I suppose my days as a Stargate fan have come to an end. I will give Atlantis another try but if the next season will not absolutly great than I will stop watching this show too.

There were so many changes in the last year we had to accept: Good bye to Jack, goodbye to the egyption mythology, goodbye to the Asgard,goodbye to the teamfeeling. For me it´s enough. Making Vala a full time cast member was for this fan one change too much.

AGateFan
November 25th, 2005, 05:14 AM
They can try to redeem her as much as they want. After that what I have seen from her I will not accept her as a part of SG 1. She is, as you said it, completly self-centred and opportunistic and I will ever believe that she is just pretending to have changed. I have meet in reality too much people like her, who just enjoy it to make the life for other people bad so that they can feel a little bit more important, as that I would want watching someone like her destroying my favourite TV show. I suppose my days as a Stargate fan have come to an end. I will give Atlantis another try but if the next season will not absolutly great than I will stop watching this show too.

There were so many changes in the last year we had to accept: Good bye to Jack, goodbye to the egyption mythology, goodbye to the Asgard,goodbye to the teamfeeling. For me it´s enough. Making Vala a full time cast member was for this fan one change too much.
Yep, it would appear the new theme of stargate is, go ahead and lie, cheat, steal, injure people, do whatever you want as long as it is in your own personal interest. You will not be held accountable for your actions. After all its not your fault if you had a bad upbringing, it can all be excused.

Thats a long, long, long way from the Stargate I originally started watching. The stargate that captured me with the heroic coolness of the characters in just 2 episodes. People willing to sacrifice themselves for each other and the greater good of earth.

Turboz
November 25th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Now what exactly is wrong with a good show like Stargate having an attractive woman to watch?

You need to chill out mate. Stop taking this all so seriously. Stargate is after all Entertainment with a fit woman or without.

Jeez some people really have attitude.

As some others have mentioned, Jack had humour - no-one complained about that but instead they all said they miss jack when he left.

Now we have another comedian (who incidentally is female and good looking) and everyone is up in arms about the whole thing. Why?

After we defeat the Ori what else can the producers throw at us? - Another race on a higher plane of existence? - More Gou'ald?, Perhaps even the universe being a living being that wants us all dead?

Come on, Vala will bring some more variety to the show. She's got charisma, she's cheerful, funny, good looking and probably what the show needed for a long time.

I also remember the new General that replaced Jack having a sense of humour - anyone complaining?

In my original post I did say that I hope I did not cause offence - You still jumped down my throat so I'll say this and make myself feel better:
Vala is great!

-Turboz

brihana25
November 25th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Yep, it would appear the new theme of stargate is, go ahead and lie, cheat, steal, injure people, do whatever you want as long as it is in your own personal interest.

Based on nothing more than the fact that Vala is going to be a regular character? What, this one character is going to completely erase the personalities and moral codes of everyone else in the SGC and rewrite them in her image? Suddenly Daniel is going to start lying to people, Sam is going to start stealing, and Teal'c is going to start cheating at poker?

If one character has that much influence over the personalities of the other members of the SGC, then Season Six would have seen them all turn into lying, backstabbing, self-interested traitors.

SallyLizzie
November 25th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Yep, it would appear the new theme of stargate is, go ahead and lie, cheat, steal, injure people, do whatever you want as long as it is in your own personal interest. You will not be held accountable for your actions. After all its not your fault if you had a bad upbringing, it can all be excused.
Not excused. Explained (to a degree).

FYI good honest people don't always get ahead. Did you complain when SG1 have manipulated people in the past for their own good? What about when Sam lied to Fifth when he was setting the time-dialation device?

People willing to sacrifice themselves for each other and the greater good of earth.
Have you not watched Beachead? Yeah she got out but there was a very good chance she wouldn't and what's more, it's not like she ringed back to the safety of the Prommie.
She didn't have to do that. She could have left Sam,Daniel,Cam and Teal'C deliberating what to do.

BigGator5
November 25th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Like the poll says, "I'm cautiously optimistic" and will withhold judgement until I see how they work her in. I would like to see her turn into a Tok'ra (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=20207), but that's just me.

To the person that said that they wanted more character development with the new characters, you got to realized that character development for the original cast didn't happen over night.

creed462
November 25th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I think after whats see been through her she problly will be a more rounded charecter.

SallyLizzie
November 25th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Exactly BigGator5.

We only know and care so much about Janet Fraiser and George Hammond bc we had 7 seasons to get to know them. I don't even think Fraiser had a name when we first saw her.

SG-1ssm
November 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I only hope that in the other half of season 9 and season 10, they will work on Mitchell also. We don't know who he is really?
What I felt about him in first half of season 9, is that they wanted to make a Jack Junior with Mitchell...

1) All they do it give Cameran Fack's lines

2) the whole show is a joke now. I remember the good old days, season 7 and before, when stargate was a good scifi show.

Lee
November 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
In my humble opinion, they should have at least changed the name of the show or something. It just doesn't have the whole feel of the past seasons, and there are so many uncalled for references that it has become almost offensive to me. I respect the opinion of the other fans, but I think they're trying to make SG-1 into just another cheesy Sci-fi channel show that features canty clothing and lack of good writing and character development. I would really like to see the old relationships between the old characters continue to grow, that's why people kept coming back season after season.

binkpmmc
November 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Now what exactly is wrong with a good show like Stargate having an attractive woman to watch?

You need to chill out mate. Stop taking this all so seriously. Stargate is after all Entertainment with a fit woman or without.

Jeez some people really have attitude.

As some others have mentioned, Jack had humour - no-one complained about that but instead they all said they miss jack when he left.

Now we have another comedian (who incidentally is female and good looking) and everyone is up in arms about the whole thing. Why?

After we defeat the Ori what else can the producers throw at us? - Another race on a higher plane of existence? - More Gou'ald?, Perhaps even the universe being a living being that wants us all dead?

Come on, Vala will bring some more variety to the show. She's got charisma, she's cheerful, funny, good looking and probably what the show needed for a long time.

I also remember the new General that replaced Jack having a sense of humour - anyone complaining?

In my original post I did say that I hope I did not cause offence - You still jumped down my throat so I'll say this and make myself feel better:
Vala is great!

-Turboz

Perhaps if Jack had been a self-serving, self-absorbed, thief, liar, cheat who at the same time was a crass, cheap, sexually innuendo laden tramp dressed up in skimpy speedo shorts and no shirt, I might have felt about him the same way I feell about Vala - alas - Jack was irreverently funny at appropriate times (at least until S8 wherein he lost me) while still being an honourable man and soldier he was also out to save the world and his team - he was an honest man with an honest and decent past who's humour was not a sci-fi cliche the way vala's humour is and the way vala herself is.

CB may be pretty (not as pretty as others on the show, IMO) but pretty does not make Stargate Stargate - at least it didn't used to be that way but now - the shiny new show appears to value that, sci-fi caricatures, cliches and wanna-be comedy, more than well written drama and respect.

zahncrelnik
November 25th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Maybe there is some bigger underlying reason that Vala makes wisecracks.
Aren't you curious about her? We have history for Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c,
even a little bit of history for Cam Mitchell, but we really have no backstory on Vala. I am curious to learn more about her. How did she become a thief and a cheat, and a smartass. I want to know how she came to be on the path that led her to Daniel Jackson.
Also, there have always been lighthearted moments in Stargate SG-1, that is why we love this story!! It would be awfully boring if there were no moments that make you smile or even laugh out loud.
I suppose that I will get another black mark for saying this, but it is
one persons opinion.

brihana25
November 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Maybe there is some bigger underlying reason that Vala makes wisecracks.
Aren't you curious about her? We have history for Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c,
even a little bit of history for Cam Mitchell, but we really have no backstory on Vala. I am curious to learn more about her. How did she become a thief and a cheat, and a smartass. I want to know how she came to be on the path that led her to Daniel Jackson.
Also, there have always been lighthearted moments in Stargate SG-1, that is why we love this story!! It would be awfully boring if there were no moments that make you smile or even laugh out loud.
I suppose that I will get another black mark for saying this, but it is
one persons opinion.

It's an opinion I agree with.

When she talks about her pre-Qetesh life, she seems very nostalgic - so what was she like? She obviously wasn't very old when she was taken, she was engaged, she had her life planned... and then along comes a snake that takes it all away from her.

When she talks about the reactions of her own people to her having been de-Goa'ulded, she seems more sad than bitter or angry - she obviously tried to go back to her life after the Tok'ra freed her, but her own people (and we can assume even her own family) wouldn't allow her to.

So... did she become a liar and a thief because she's trying to take back what Qetesh stole from her? Does she use sex as a weapon now because she was unable to decide what her body did for so long that it doesn't even matter to her any more? Does she still detach from it all, or did she never learn to do that? Where is the woman Vala MalDoran used to be?

The galaxy has shaped her views of it in a way that is totally unique to her, and one that we've never seen before (though maybe we could have, if they'd let Sarah stick around)... and I want to know just exactly what makes her the way she is. What happened to her to turn the perfectly normal young woman she used to be into what she is now?

acce
November 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Perhaps if Jack had been a self-serving, self-absorbed, thief, liar, cheat who at the same time was a crass, cheap, sexually innuendo laden tramp dressed up in skimpy speedo shorts and no shirt, I might have felt about him the same way I feell about Vala - alas - Jack was irreverently funny at appropriate times .

PERFECT, FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTAND ME!
I don't care that Vala is cute, but she is SO FAR from being honorable. SO this is why I don't like this caracter! The fact that she is cute, is only to increase ratings....

tflux
November 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
last pathetic season of farscape

I haven't even finished reading the thread and I have to say that is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. The last season of Farscape was one of its high points... tied with season 3. I especially like when shows have a big underlying plot, especially a bit multi-race coldwar.

I suppose you thought Peacekeeper Wars was pathetic too? I mean, it really felt like an extended, higher budget season 4 episode...
</rant>

tflux
November 25th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Anyway, back on topic...

I'm personally looking forward to having Vala as a main character, and not because I'm a fan of Farscape. Infact, I only became a fan of Farscape over the past few months while SG-1 has been on mid-season break.

The way I look at it is this: the writers have given Vala enough drama in her backstory that she can be a serious or comedic character, or a mix of both. I suspect it'll be a mix. After seeing CB in 4 seasons of Farscape, she is more than capable of portraying the mix.

I don't understand where all this rhetoric about Stargate becoming a "comedy" is coming from. It's always had a comedic element, and I don't think that has changed with season 9. I felt the only really comedic episode involving Vala this season was The Ties That Bind. Granted, she had a few moments in the other episodes early this season, but on the whole they were fairly serious episodes.

Personally I'm really curious about her backstory. It will explain why she is the way she is, and I'm looking forward to that. Obviously being taken as a Goa'uld host for quite a while has had a profound impact on her. I have faith in the writers.

For all you irritating doom sayers, please just sit down and shut it for a while. Season 9 isn't even over yet. Different isn't neccessarily bad. The show is been on TV for going on 10 years now, and the franchise has existed since 1992. Aside from the cast being the same until season 6, the show was fairly stable. Since then it has changed from year to year. Get over it. Seriously. I've been watching the show since day 1. I even saw the movie in the theatres - multiple times.

Anyways, I probably come off like a ranting lunatic and I really couldn't care less.

In closing - don't pass judgement on a character until you've seen them integrated and explored in the show. No matter what people say, being a recurring character in a handful of episodes is vastly different than being a main character. Writing the show off as dead before you even give the next season a chance is ignorant and you know it.

valaCB
November 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Vala is great!

-Turboz
Agree :)

zahncrelnik
November 25th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Anyway, back on topic...

I'm personally looking forward to having Vala as a main character, and not because I'm a fan of Farscape. Infact, I only became a fan of Farscape over the past few months while SG-1 has been on mid-season break.

The way I look at it is this: the writers have given Vala enough drama in her backstory that she can be a serious or comedic character, or a mix of both. I suspect it'll be a mix. After seeing CB in 4 seasons of Farscape, she is more than capable of portraying the mix.

I don't understand where all this rhetoric about Stargate becoming a "comedy" is coming from. It's always had a comedic element, and I don't think that has changed with season 9. I felt the only really comedic episode involving Vala this season was The Ties That Bind. Granted, she had a few moments in the other episodes early this season, but on the whole they were fairly serious episodes.

Personally I'm really curious about her backstory. It will explain why she is the way she is, and I'm looking forward to that. Obviously being taken as a Goa'uld host for quite a while has had a profound impact on her. I have faith in the writers.

For all you irritating doom sayers, please just sit down and shut it for a while. Season 9 isn't even over yet. Different isn't neccessarily bad. The show is been on TV for going on 10 years now, and the franchise has existed since 1992. Aside from the cast being the same until season 6, the show was fairly stable. Since then it has changed from year to year. Get over it. Seriously. I've been watching the show since day 1. I even saw the movie in the theatres - multiple times.

Anyways, I probably come off like a ranting lunatic and I really couldn't care less.

In closing - don't pass judgement on a character until you've seen them integrated and explored in the show. No matter what people say, being a recurring character in a handful of episodes is vastly different than being a main character. Writing the show off as dead before you even give the next season a chance is ignorant and you know it.

Thank you, tflux, well stated. I do not see you as a 'ranting lunatic' at all.
I want Stargate SG-1 to continue and it needs to be interesting and entertaining,
that is what is has always been.
That is all many of us want too: Give it a chance.

SallyLizzie
November 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM
tflux i'd green ya if i could. That's exactly what i've been trying to say.

they should have at least changed the name of the show or something. They were going to. It was gonig to be called 'Stargate Command' but for whatever reason they decided to stick with SG1.

Lee
November 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM
So i heard. I think I have figured out my problem with Vala (don't judge before you read!): they haven't done anything so far to tell us about her character, besides the fact that she generally isn't trustworthy and you should watch her with your guy. So far that's about all that they've shown us about her. I believe that just about everyone has a good part in them somewhere, and she fits into that catagory. Now I kinda would like to see more of the good. I didn't get to see Beachhead, and I heard that she was much better in that one so maybe they are gonna show us some good stuff about her now. I apologize if you all thought that I was flatly saying that she didn't have a chance in the world. I find it hard to see if you like someone if you know nothing about them.

binkpmmc
November 25th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Anyway, back on topic...

Perhaps it is the irritating way the "we love everything about the new cast" people behave by being so arrogant as to think, that based on their OPINIONS, they have the right to tell people who do not feel the same way as they do, and whose OPINIONS differ from theirs that they are ignorant and should "sit down and shut it". Well perhaps it is you that should sit down and shut it for a while - or perhaps the possies should just stop telling others, who don't necessarily think like them, what to do and think and stop calling them names. Why don't the possies just shut it with the arrogance and say what they want to say about the show and leave everyone else, positive, negative or indeifferent, to have their say as well. Last time I looked this was not a protected thread nor was it against forum rules to say what you think on this forum.

If you don't like what you see then leave or don't read it - just like I have the choice to leave or not read yours. If I choose to read yours I certainly have the right not to expect to be called ignorant by someone who knows nothing about me or my motives or my likes and dislikes - ignorance is, BTW, the lack of knowledge and for you to call me ignorant without any knowledge of who I am or what motivates me is in fact ignorant on your part. (You may say your post was not directed at me - well please re-read it, as well as my posts on this thread, and you will see exactly why you have called me ignorant. As written your post is directed at me, as well as at every other person who dares to have an opinion different from yours and who chooses to write criticisms about the show and about vala.)

The criticisms, legitimate criticisms, I have after watching this show for 8 years are based on, imo, a continuous decline in the quality of the writing and directing (read as show-runner) and overall direction of the show and the characters that I have seen since season 7 - it is not based on one character, although I admit that vala is a complete and utter embarrasment to a show that never needed to stoop to sci-fi cliches and caricatures of the worst kind. I have watched this show go from a strong, well-written, respected show to a wanna-be comedy, cliche ridden nightmare all in the hopes of seeing it regain it's greatness - alas, IMO, it has not and based on what I see it will not be able to regain anything close to its greatness (or what I considered it great for) especially with vala around and with the continued dumbing-down direction TPTB have chosen to take to attract the lowest common denominator in ratings.

Because of the big picture I see for S9 and S10 I have chosen to back away form the show and now only watch once in a blue moon and even then I often feel like it has been a waste of my time to watch. Second half of S9 -- who knows how many I'll bother with and depending on what type of role vala has in S10, and where they go with the rest of the characters and the stories (especially if there is a little vala sprog in the story and if they continue to portray Daniel - whose name they should have changed because that is not the Daniel who was a core part of why SG1 was so good - as vala's foil, lapdog, sidekick, etc.) that could very well be the end for me. I know one person won't matter but I have a feeling that in the end, I will not be alone in my former fandom.

Edited to add spoiler space as was rightly pointed out later in this thread.

SallyLizzie
November 25th, 2005, 06:39 PM
they haven't done anything so far to tell us about her character,True, but i'm willing to overlook that as when she was first signed up it was for one ep only (PU). Then when she returned it was only meant to be for 5 eps, so i can't blame the writers for not giving a character a lot of backstory if she isn't coming back. i think they've struck a nice balance with the backstory they HAVE shown.

especially if there is a little vala sprog in the story
What's with that? I've heard 'Vala's sprog' a few times but that's it...no details. What's it all about and where's it come from?

they continue to portray Daniel <snip> as vala's foil, lapdog, sidekick, etcI don't see it like that at all. I see it more of a long-term Urgo situation. They HAVE to be together (i don't mean this in a shippy way) or they'll die. Makes sense to make the best out of a bad situation.

Lee
November 25th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Maybe I should just back out of this thread while people will still talk to me..... bye.

brihana25
November 25th, 2005, 06:52 PM
What's it all about and where's it come from?

It's a SPOILER, and one that people really should stop throwing around in the general forum.

SallyLizzie
November 25th, 2005, 06:58 PM
It's a SPOILER, and one that people really should stop throwing around in the general forum.Well i gathered that ;) :p

I just wanted to know more about it so if you know, or anybody here knows for that matter, please PM me with details. Thanx :)

Sorry brihana :o ITA that spoilers should not be thrown around ANYWHERE.
*goes back and edits post* :)

brihana25
November 25th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Well i gathered that ;) :p

I just wanted to know more about it so if you know, or anybody here knows for that matter, please PM me with details. Thanx :)

Sorry brihana :o ITA that spoilers should not be thrown around ANYWHERE.
*goes back and edits post* :)

Oh, I wasn't talking about you! :)

No, I was talking about the fact that you've seen it a lot lately, because I have too... in a lot of places it doesn't belong, like the News and General forums.

We've just got to get the Rep and Report options back...

Anyway, a "sprog" is a slang term for a baby.

SallyLizzie
November 25th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Oh good :) It's just i was going to go into lecture mode then i remembered i hadn't used tags either :o :p

Yeah i know sprog = baby. I was just wondering where this info originated from, and if there was any additional info...like who the father is and if it has any relativity to the story (as opposed to just having her pregnant for the sake of it)

Skydiver
November 25th, 2005, 07:44 PM
tflux i'd green ya if i could. That's exactly what i've been trying to say.

They were going to. It was gonig to be called 'Stargate Command' but for whatever reason they decided to stick with SG1.
they decided to stick with sg1 for two reasons

a) sony/mgm/scifi thought that the fans were too unintelligent to realize that Stargate Command used to be Stargate

b) they'd have a hard time pimping it as the 'longest running us scifi show' if the title changed

Seshat
November 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM
...For all you irritating doom sayers, please just sit down and shut it for a while. Season 9 isn't even over yet....Writing the show off as dead before you even give the next season a chance is ignorant and you know it. If the reputation system were working I would absolutely red ding you for the above two comments. :( The rest of your post which I snipped was your opinion about the show and is welcome here, but these two statements were unforgivably rude to every poster here at GW, whatever their opinion.

Please consider that you are speaking to people who have just as much right to their opinions as you do. Kindness and tolerance count here. Calling people ignorant for disagreeing with you is unacceptable, as is telling people to shut up.

SallyLizzie
November 25th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Calling people ignorant for disagreeing with you is unacceptable, as is telling people to shut up.
tflux ita agreed with the majority of what you said but i also agree with Seshat. This isn't a Pro or Anti thread, it's for general discussion where we can post the pro's and con's of what we think of Vala in S10 so please refrain from posting such comments. Thanx :)

they'd have a hard time pimping it as the 'longest running us scifi show' if the title changed I thought it may have had to do with the longest running show stuff but i never knew about the connection reason. If they were that concerned all they had to do was manage their advertising. Not like it would cost any more as they would be advertising regardless. Guess the 2nd reason has more to do with it.

binkpmmc
November 25th, 2005, 08:43 PM

No, I was talking about the fact that you've seen it a lot lately, because I have too... in a lot of places it doesn't belong, like the News and General forums.

We've just got to get the Rep and Report options back...

Your point on spoilers was a good one and I have edited my above post to add spoilers. I too wish the rep and report systems were working . . . .

Traveler Enroute1
November 25th, 2005, 09:38 PM
It's an opinion I agree with.

When she talks about her pre-Qetesh life, she seems very nostalgic - so what was she like? She obviously wasn't very old when she was taken, she was engaged, she had her life planned... and then along comes a snake that takes it all away from her.

Where is the woman Vala MalDoran used to be?

The galaxy has shaped her views of it in a way that is totally unique to her, and one that we've never seen before (though maybe we could have, if they'd let Sarah stick around)... and I want to know just exactly what makes her the way she is. What happened to her to turn the perfectly normal young woman she used to be into what she is now?

Now that's something I can agree with, brihana25. I feel there is a lot of potential for Vala to grow and reveal herself on the show.

I'm one of those with the angst I think you're detecting from many fans. It's not so much hating Vala (although there is some strong dislike expressed hereabout for Vala and Sam) but its the HOW she's being or will be integrated into the show. By displacing another lead character. Do they HAVE to do this? All that you expressed so well above seems able to work with the cast intact.

And what's up, two women of strength and contrast can't be seen on screen together? I am so longing to see these two up close and personal, exploring not just Vala's goa'uld past but Sam's unrevealed Tok'Ra aftermath; but what do we get but more division regarding females' age, looks, bodies. Take the brain out of SG1, and add fluff to appeal to...who? It's a science fiction show with an honored track record. Are tptb going to keep true to this?

Just sayin', I can't say Vala will ruin the show, that's not my feeling. Will the series WRITE her as a viable element or not is my concern. They can, but will they? Alas, it's of course, wait and see. One can only hope, for all our sakes :)

tflux
November 25th, 2005, 10:35 PM
If the reputation system were working I would absolutely red ding you for the above two comments.

Fortunately I'm not all that concerned.

I don't disagree that those comments weren't harsh and/or rude. Normally its very difficult to annoy me, but I mean, it's a simple concept: "don't judge a book by it's cover". Vala's few appearances this season are nothing more than the cover. There is alot more character development to be done. Give it a shot and then judge the character.

As for the people who think the show is becoming trite and following in the footsteps of the X-Files, that's wonderful that you think that. No one is holding a gun to your head to keep watching. There is lots of other Sci-Fi on TV that you could be watching, though I challenge you to find something better than Stargate.

Lastly, since the announcement about Vala's involvement in S10 I've noticed some awfully sarcastic and uncalled for posts on the JM thread. No matter how much you disagree with the direction of the show or the decisions of the producers, at least show some respect and don't post sarcastic rhetoric. Just come out and post a concise, down to the point opinion.

Though looking back I can't seem to find those posts... maybe I'm not looking back far enough. Though I do see a post from David regarding tact... maybe cooler minds have prevailed.

ToasterOnFire
November 25th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Fortunately I'm not all that concerned.

I don't disagree that those comments weren't harsh and/or rude. Normally its very difficult to annoy me, but I mean, it's a simple concept: "don't judge a book by it's cover". Vala's few appearances this season are nothing more than the cover. There is alot more character development to be done. Give it a shot and then judge the character.
If only you had said that in the first place, rather than telling people who have a different opinion than you to "shut it"...

As for the people who think the show is becoming trite and following in the footsteps of the X-Files, that's wonderful that you think that. No one is holding a gun to your head to keep watching. There is lots of other Sci-Fi on TV that you could be watching, though I challenge you to find something better than Stargate.
*shrug* I think that BSG wipes the floor with Stargate, but that argument isn't the topic of this thread.

There seems to be a pervasive attitude with many posters that if people don't like where season ten, with or without Vala, is headed then they should just vanish. Don't express your concerns, don't express your disappointment, don't voice any opinion that you think that the show isn't as good as it used to be. Just turn off the channel and vanish from fandom forever. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. Plenty of people are upset with Vala and season ten and they have every right to voice their opinion on this forum as you do. If it bothers you that much, use the ignore feature.

Lastly, since the announcement about Vala's involvement in S10 I've noticed some awfully sarcastic and uncalled for posts on the JM thread. No matter how much you disagree with the direction of the show or the decisions of the producers, at least show some respect and don't post sarcastic rhetoric. Just come out and post a concise, down to the point opinion.

Though looking back I can't seem to find those posts... maybe I'm not looking back far enough. Though I do see a post from David regarding tact... maybe cooler minds have prevailed.
...perhaps your rant would have been better suited to that thread then?

brihana25
November 26th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Your point on spoilers was a good one and I have edited my above post to add spoilers. I too wish the rep and report systems were working . . . .

Thank you, binkpmmc. I'm sorry if I came off sounding rude about that, but your had to be the fifth or sixth mention of that particular spoiler I'd seen yesterday, and I was just getting frustrated.

Now, to everyone else...

Emotions are high right now, I understand that. It's just starting to seem as if the lack of culpability right now has people feeling that they are free to say whatever they want to whomever they want without fear of repercussion of any kind, and it's starting to devolve into a free-for-all us-vs-them situation, which it doesn't have to be.

I'm going under the assumption that we're all mostly adults here, and that we should all be able to have an intelligent conversation, even about something as obviously divided as this, without having to stoop to calling each other names, insulting each other's intelligence, or telling each other to shut up and go away.

And the posts that are there just to say, "I'd red you if I could" or "I'd green you if I could" really aren't helping the discussion move along at all.

Would I be out of line in asking that everyone just step back for a second, take a deep breath, and think about what you say before you say it? This is a "hot" issue and one that does bear discussion, but not at the expense of both sides coming off looking like a pack of dogs fighting over the last bone in the kennel.

brihana25
November 26th, 2005, 06:19 AM
I'm one of those with the angst I think you're detecting from many fans. It's not so much hating Vala (although there is some strong dislike expressed hereabout for Vala and Sam) but its the HOW she's being or will be integrated into the show. By displacing another lead character. Do they HAVE to do this? All that you expressed so well above seems able to work with the cast intact.

Absolutely it can work with the cast intact - that's why I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that it won't.

JM has said in the past that the chances are very high of the development of a strong, close, "opposites attract" friendship developing between Sam and Vala, and that couldn't possibly happen if one of them weren't actually around on a full-time basis. He's also said that Sam's story is going to be fully vested in SG1, and Daniel will be going to Atlantis at some point too, which says to me that she's not going anywhere for more than maybe an episode or two, and she won't be going alone.

On top of all of that, he's said on more than one occassion that people are overreacting to the whole situation, which is something that I've been thinking from the very beginning - long before he said it. AT said something at a convention that was (according to both her and JM) has blown way out of proportion, and a whole bunch of people took it and ran with it... now, those people were all willing (obviously) to take her words to heart then and interpret them however they chose to do so - mostly negatively, it seems - but very few seem willing to take her at her word now, when she's saying that she *didn't* mean it the way so many people are thinking she did.

Myself, I'd rather base my feelings and speculations about the upcoming season on what she's has actually said about it, rather than on second and third hand interpretations of something she *might* have meant.

And what's up, two women of strength and contrast can't be seen on screen together? I am so longing to see these two up close and personal, exploring not just Vala's goa'uld past but Sam's unrevealed Tok'Ra aftermath; but what do we get but more division regarding females' age, looks, bodies. Take the brain out of SG1, and add fluff to appeal to...who? It's a science fiction show with an honored track record. Are tptb going to keep true to this?

Oh, I completely agree. I'd *love* to see these two as friends - it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

The only divisiveness I've seen though, honestly... seems to be coming from the fans, and not from TPTB themselves. AT and CB are both stunningly beautiful women, no arguement there. And the only people claiming that Sam is being pushed out to make room for Vala are the fans - JM and AT themselves are saying the exact *opposite*, but no one seems willing to listen to them.

Just sayin', I can't say Vala will ruin the show, that's not my feeling. Will the series WRITE her as a viable element or not is my concern. They can, but will they? Alas, it's of course, wait and see. One can only hope, for all our sakes :)

Again, I agree fully. I see the potential for some amazing stories to come along with Vala's presence, for all four members of the team (which does include Sam) and for Vala herself... and I've seen TPTB write some amazing stories so far this season. Prototype, in particular, had me on the edge of my seat and my heart pounding like no episode has in *years*.

So, can they keep it up, now that they've got it back? All I can do is wait, and hope, and have a little faith in them to keep doing what it is that they've been doing so well lately.

Galluslass
November 26th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Nope. Not happy that Vala is to be permanent.:( :( :(
Are the writers running out of storylines for our team that used to be?
Do we really need a comic fallguy/girl complete with T & A to pep up the series?
Does this mean no more angst and drama eps? I certainly hope not.
And, yes, whoever said Daniel is not the same DJ, I have to agree. Yes, every character is allowed to change, hell, real people do, but DJ just was never the type to say, 'I'm gonna kick your a$$!!' like he did in Beachhead...it was like watching another show with new characters.
The five shows Claudia did, was more than enough for me, and I couldn't care less about her character's back story, and altho' I was always pleased to have BB, I never wanted Starscape....:( :( :( I'm kinda sad about all this - I'm now thinking of word like 'Shark' and 'Jumping' etc, and I don't want this for Stargate. This has been a great show, and altho' the changes are necessary and good, I'm wishing they could let things settle for a wee while longer before they introduce more characters.
Just me.

chocdoc
November 26th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Absolutely it can work with the cast intact - that's why I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that it won't.

JM has said in the past that the chances are very high of the development of a strong, close, "opposites attract" friendship developing between Sam and Vala, and that couldn't possibly happen if one of them weren't actually around on a full-time basis. He's also said that Sam's story is going to be fully vested in SG1, and Daniel will be going to Atlantis at some point too, which says to me that she's not going anywhere for more than maybe an episode or two, and she won't be going alone.

On top of all of that, he's said on more than one occassion that people are overreacting to the whole situation, which is something that I've been thinking from the very beginning - long before he said it. AT said something at a convention that was (according to both her and JM) has blown way out of proportion, and a whole bunch of people took it and ran with it... now, those people were all willing (obviously) to take her words to heart then and interpret them however they chose to do so - mostly negatively, it seems - but very few seem willing to take her at her word now, when she's saying that she *didn't* mean it the way so many people are thinking she did.

Myself, I'd rather base my feelings and speculations about the upcoming season on what she's has actually said about it, rather than on second and third hand interpretations of something she *might* have meant.

Oh, I completely agree. I'd *love* to see these two as friends - it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

The only divisiveness I've seen though, honestly... seems to be coming from the fans, and not from TPTB themselves. AT and CB are both stunningly beautiful women, no arguement there. And the only people claiming that Sam is being pushed out to make room for Vala are the fans - JM and AT themselves are saying the exact *opposite*, but no one seems willing to listen to them.

Again, I agree fully. I see the potential for some amazing stories to come along with Vala's presence, for all four members of the team (which does include Sam) and for Vala herself... and I've seen TPTB write some amazing stories so far this season. Prototype, in particular, had me on the edge of my seat and my heart pounding like no episode has in *years*.

So, can they keep it up, now that they've got it back? All I can do is wait, and hope, and have a little faith in them to keep doing what it is that they've been doing so well lately.

I think you make some great points, brihana25. And i hope you are right.

It is not that I don't take AT''s or JM's word for it -- I just can't tell what their messages really mean. AT came on after a huge uproar on the internet. It seemed more like damage control to me, and she really didn't say much except she will be back. She seemed to not know exactly what was happening when she wrote that message, so it is difficult to tell from it how things will play out in season 10. JM"s blog message also seemed like damage control -- to placate the Sam fans after the strong reaction. I don't know what he really knew at that time either.

So alot of fans are leary of the situation. Vala did dominate, IMO, when she was on, and she pushed the other characters into the background. This is even true for me of Daniel. I do think the writers know this is a problem, but how much time will Vala take away from all the other characters? They say over and over how much they like to write for her. They are not saying that about any other character. So, it makes you wonder what season 10 is really going to look like.

I think the writers are walking a fine line here. I don't think they can afford to lose any fanbase right now. Sam and Daniel have very strong fanbases, and so do BB and CB. The ratings are good, but not in a safe margin to lose fans. They need to write the show so that old SG-1 fans remain, and new fans like it too.

valaCB
November 26th, 2005, 08:39 AM

It is not that I don't take AT''s or JM's word for it -- I just can't tell what their messages really mean. AT came on after a huge uproar on the internet. It seemed more like damage control to me, and she really didn't say much except she will be back. She seemed to not know exactly what was happening when she wrote that message, so it is difficult to tell from it how things will play out in season 10. JM"s blog message also seemed like damage control -- to placate the Sam fans after the strong reaction. I don't know what he really knew at that time either.

So alot of fans are leary of the situation. Vala did dominate, IMO, when she was on, and she pushed the other characters into the background. This is even true for me of Daniel. I do think the writers know this is a problem, but how much time will Vala take away from all the other characters? They say over and over how much they like to write for her. They are not saying that about any other character. So, it makes you wonder what season 10 is really going to look like.

I think the writers are walking a fine line here. I don't think they can afford to lose any fanbase right now. Sam and Daniel have very strong fanbases, and so do BB and CB. The ratings are good, but not in a safe margin to lose fans. They need to write the show so that old SG-1 fans remain, and new fans like it too.
I just hope that Vala won't be in the background in season 10.

Skydiver
November 26th, 2005, 12:40 PM
As someone has said, this is not a 'protected' thread, opinions from both sides are welcome. But this also means that people from all sides of the issue need to

Respect their fellow posters

Telling people to shut up is not respect. Calling someone stupid or an idiot is not respect.

Disagreeing isn't the end of the world, it's what makes the world go around.

If you ( and i mean the general You here) find yourself unable to post without telling people to shut up or disrespecting them, then maybe you need to go find another thread to play in.

AGateFan
November 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I haven't even finished reading the thread and I have to say that is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. The last season of Farscape was one of its high points... tied with season 3. I especially like when shows have a big underlying plot, especially a bit multi-race coldwar.

I suppose you thought Peacekeeper Wars was pathetic too? I mean, it really felt like an extended, higher budget season 4 episode...
</rant>
Wow, so now I am ignorant for having an opinion. IMHO, (yes its an opinion) season 4 of farscape was no where near as entertaining and engaging as the other 3 seasons. Seems I am not in the minority as the ratings dropped and the show was cancelled. As for Peacekeeper wars, it was also not as good as seasons 1-3 in MHO. Pretty much it seemed rushed, thrown together, and had aspects that didnt make sense with the show based on the shows history(Jewl ... what was up with that).

But whatever, if you liked it. I am happy for you. Just because I thought it was typical B level Scifi doesnt make you ignorant for liking it.

Traveler Enroute1
November 26th, 2005, 03:20 PM

**chocdoc**, well said. I was drafting a reply to our knowledgeable brihana25 but you expressed much of what I wanted to say.

I will add that the writers and studio people knew well the introduction of a character like Vala would be controversial; it's what they do to stir interest. If the actress was someone other than CB with her so recent ties to BB, maybe there would have been less conflict with Farscape devotees and Stargate SG1 devotees. Neither actress should be caught in this snafu of studio hype and fan unease. And oh, yeah, the writers have a heck of a job ahead of them to show they are not favoring the Vala character at the expense of the Team, and come up with storylines that will hold everyone to the Friday lineup. Is the will there to do it? Time will tell.

Just sayin', I hope we can all just get along on this. ;) Ultimately, I just want the same great Stargate SG1 show to go on.

AGateFan
November 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Perhaps if Jack had been a self-serving, self-absorbed, thief, liar, cheat who at the same time was a crass, cheap, sexually innuendo laden tramp dressed up in skimpy speedo shorts and no shirt, I might have felt about him the same way I feell about Vala - alas - Jack was irreverently funny at appropriate times (at least until S8 wherein he lost me) while still being an honourable man and soldier he was also out to save the world and his team - he was an honest man with an honest and decent past who's humour was not a sci-fi cliche the way vala's humour is and the way vala herself is.

CB may be pretty (not as pretty as others on the show, IMO) but pretty does not make Stargate Stargate - at least it didn't used to be that way but now - the shiny new show appears to value that, sci-fi caricatures, cliches and wanna-be comedy, more than well written drama and respect.

It amazes me that people seriously try to compare Vala to the other characters of the show in morality. I mean, even if you happen to like the character why not admit that she is no where near on the same level of honesty and accountability as any of the other characters in the history of Stargate.

Here are things that Vala did willingly, of her own choice, while not host to a goa'uld and think what the consequences would be of such actions if a real person did these.

1) She attacked a Earth military spaceship and assaulted the crew
2) She left the crew to die on a derelict space ship. (Die or be captured and tortured by the goa'uld since it was in goa'uld space and they would likely investigate what happen to their ships and its not like earth had more ship to send out for a rescue. Of course the crew wasn’t captured and didn’t die because Gen Hammond risked his life to get the extra crystals, something vala didn’t anticipate, if she did she would have likely destroyed the other ship as it is ultimately what lead to her capture)
3) She willfully took the earth property she stole and attempted to sell it for her own personal profit to a criminal organization that likely would have used it to commit further crimes.
4) She assaulted more military personal and escaped, stealing an Alkesh which was now in legal possession of Earth.
5) She came to earth and took a member of earth hostage so that she could get some treasure. Basically blackmailing him with his death if he didn’t comply.
6) Once she found she would not get what she wanted she agreed to take the hostage devices off, but of course it didn’t quite work. So we get to see that basically she stole from multiple people and has absolutely no remorse for doing so. It appears in her world, anything is ok if it is in her own interest and no one is "hurt". Hurt being relative since having something stolen from you is injurious, but apparently Vala doesn’t see it that way.
7) She apparently and with willful intent enslaved an Entire planet of people.
8) She conned some stupid USAF people into going to that planet so she could finish off stealing the money from the people she had enslaved before the Ori got a hold of it. Note she didn’t go to the planet to save the people, that only happened afterward when people started dropping dead.

So I will give her this, she doesn’t like to see people drop dead. She tried to help the people when they got sick (of course she really had no option for leaving. But I will assume for the time being that she would have stayed anyway, although there really is no history to base that on).

When it came to the destruction of the Jaffa planet by the Ori. Vala didn’t really care, she thought the SGC was stupid for trying to stop it and wanted to run-away (which I assume is her modus operandi, as it is with all thieves that are not in jail). Of course, once again when it became obvious she couldn’t run away and she realized she was scrwd when the Ori got here, then she took action to stop it. So I will also give that she has a very impressive sense of Self Preservation. However, SG-1 has never been about Self Preservation. Its been about about Self Sacrifice and saving the world so others can live peacefully. NID was about stealing crp from people. SGC was about honor. We wanted our allies to know we were worthy of trust and did our best to uphold our sides of bargins even when some failed to uphold theirs (tokra).

In any reality that is real Vala should be in jail. Slavery is an abomination. Anyone, ANYONE who willfully participates it should be in jail for a very, very, very long time. And I don’t really care if they had a bad childhood, if their mommy didn’t get them a pony for Christmas or if they had a gou'ald in them for 1000 years. Once the goa'uld was gone, to continue to enslave people and then steal the only wealth they have is an abominably horrendous act. And the fact that TPTB just think it’s a funny little character quirk is disgusting.

Traveler Enroute1
November 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I just hope that Vala won't be in the background in season 10.

That is part of the challenge, valaCB, to bring a character like Vala - impulsive, secretive, defensive - into a team environment. She shouldn't always be so very at odds with everyone all the time. I believe CB said in an interview that Vala would have to morph into someone a bit more approachable and trustworthy to work in the SG1 setting on a long term basis.

Having said that, it is natural for new actors of her caliber (coming from a lead in another series) to be featured almost exclusively for an ep or so before they mesh them into the series. Can we presume Vala has had an adequate "seasoning" after 5 episodes in? Can the writers now begin to build back the band?

Just sayin', every actor in a team/ensemble show like SG1 and SGA will be featured and sidelined at some points. Vala has certainly been featured, so she may not get as much screen time as she had in her debut. Again, the writers have to be up on it (with studio input, natch) with storylines that work all elements in.

Turboz
November 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Right I'm gonna end this once and for all.

Can anyone here do anything about the Vala character? - IE are any of you scriptwriters etc?

If you cannot do anything then stop complaining. The scriptwriters and producers are running the show NOT US.

If you don't like it, watch another show.

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz

AGateFan
November 26th, 2005, 03:59 PM

Can anyone here do anything about the Vala character? - IE are any of you scriptwriters etc?

If you cannot do anything then stop complaining. The scriptwriters and producers are running the show NOT US.

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz
If we cant comment on the show, then there is really no point of the forum is there?

CalmStorm
November 26th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I think that the episodes that have had Vala have been of a serious nature, it is Vala who lightens the seriousness with her own little brand of humor.

I'm looking forward to Vala being a regular character on SG-1. I enjoyed some of the humor she brought to the show....it was simply the characters way. I think that they can really take this character in many directions....why is she the way she is? I think there is a serious side to her, but she uses humor almost as a defence mechanism.

However, the one thing I do hope that they reduce is the complete lack of trust in anything she says and does. Reduce the need for every statement out of her mouth from being an entire lie, or a half-truth. The potential is there for a great character to emerge.

.....and of course, most importantly to me, make her an addition to the cast, not a replacement. Do not let another character, such as Sam be pushed aside to make room for the new.

Traveler Enroute1
November 26th, 2005, 04:08 PM

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz

No, this is a discussion, Turboz; it's what we DO here. I can understand that no one's gonna WIN any argument here. We're just DISCUSSING our points of view.

Just sayin' what is your point of view on Season 10 & Vala, the thread we're on?

Traveler Enroute1
November 26th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I think that the episodes that have had Vala have been of a serious nature, it is Vala who lightens the seriousness with her own little brand of humor.

I'm looking forward to Vala being a regular character on SG-1. I enjoyed some of the humor she brought to the show....it was simply the characters way. I think that they can really take this character in many directions....why is she the way she is? I think there is a serious side to her, but she uses humor almost as a defence mechanism.

However, the one thing I do hope that they reduce is the complete lack of trust in anything she says and does. Reduce the need for every statement out of her mouth from being an entire lie, or a half-truth. The potential is there for a great character to emerge.

.....and of course, most importantly to me, make her an addition to the cast, not a replacement. Do not let another character, such as Sam be pushed aside to make room for the new.

Just sayin, Well said *CalmStorm*.

binkpmmc
November 26th, 2005, 04:15 PM

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz

Yes ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it - read the first entry by the person who started this thread - perhaps you are in the wrong place based on your opinions (realizing if course that this is an open thread where all are welcome to their opinions but it is not appropriate to come here, or anywhere else at GW, and presume to be the only one with the correct or valid opinion or presume to tell anyone else, regardless of their opinions, what to do).

If you are incapabale of having a discussion based on differing opinions perhaps you are on the wrong thread - try the pro-vala thread or the pro-S10 thread or any other thread where opinions will be the same as yours so you do not have to constantly offend others with your arrogant remarks. If you do not like what this thread has to say because some of the posts differ from your hallowed opinions please take your opinions elsewhere and stop insulting others and stop telling other people what to do -YOU get over it - it's not going to change - GW has always been a place where people can voice their opinions regardless of what that opinion is - it is after all about democracy and freedom of speech, etc., the very things the US military has fought so hard for decades to preserve for Americans as well as others around the globe.

CalmStorm
November 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Doubtful :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous.

-Turboz

Forum = discussion of views.....regardless if you have the ability to effect actual change.

Traveler Enroute1
November 26th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Yes ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it - read the first entry by the person who started this thread - perhaps you are in the wrong place based on your opinions (realizing if course that this is an open thread where all are welcome to their opinions but it is not appropriate to come here, or anywhere else at GW, and presume to be the only one with the correct or valid opinion or presume to tell anyone else, regardless of their opinions, what to do).

If you are incapabale of having a discussion based on differing opinions perhaps you are on the wrong thread - try the pro-vala thread or the pro-S10 thread or any other thread where opinions will be the same as yours so you do not have to constantly offend others with your arrogant remarks. If you do not like what this thread has to say because some of the posts differ from your hallowed opinions please take your opinions elsewhere and stop insulting others and stop telling other people what to do -YOU get over it - it's not going to change - GW has always been a place where people can voice their opinions regardless of what that opinion is - it is after all about democracy and freedom of speech, etc., the very things the US military has fought so hard for decades to preserve for Americans as well as others around the globe.

Ditto, what **binkpmmc** so eloquently said.

Just sayin'. <>

brihana25
November 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Ditto, what **binkpmmc** so elequently said.

Just sayin'. <>

Me too.

What could we have possibly been thinking, you know.. *discussing* Vala in a *discussion* thread on a *discussion* forum.

:)

Skydiver
November 26th, 2005, 06:27 PM
As long as the discussions remain civil - and with the exception of posts from one person and a few responses to said posts, it has been - this thread will remain open.

however.....there are at least two sides to every issue and vala joining the show is no exception. Some love it, some hate it, some don't care and still others like/hate it with provisions.

NONE OF THESE POINTS OF VIEW ARE WRONG. They only have to be right for the person voicing them.

If any person is not willing to read/post here and accept that they might read posts that do not fall in line with thier own personal opinions, then they need to go play in another thread.

Debate the topic - which happens to be vala and season ten, not the posters.

Uber
November 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Things would be easier if everyone here figured out that I'm right all the time and bowed to my wishes...especially regarding Vala.

...I'm kidding of course...

;)

Traveler Enroute1
November 26th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Things would be easier if everyone here figured out that I'm right all the time and bowed to my wishes...especially regarding Vala.

...I'm kidding of course...

;)

:D :D :D **ÜberSG-1Fan**

Just sayin'!

valaCB
November 27th, 2005, 03:06 AM
That is part of the challenge, valaCB, to bring a character like Vala - impulsive, secretive, defensive - into a team environment. She shouldn't always be so very at odds with everyone all the time. I believe CB said in an interview that Vala would have to morph into someone a bit more approachable and trustworthy to work in the SG1 setting on a long term basis.

Having said that, it is natural for new actors of her caliber (coming from a lead in another series) to be featured almost exclusively for an ep or so before they mesh them into the series. Can we presume Vala has had an adequate "seasoning" after 5 episodes in? Can the writers now begin to build back the band?

Just sayin', every actor in a team/ensemble show like SG1 and SGA will be featured and sidelined at some points. Vala has certainly been featured, so she may not get as much screen time as she had in her debut. Again, the writers have to be up on it (with studio input, natch) with storylines that work all elements in.
You are right but i hope that these epis will be a few. :D

Kelso
November 27th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Vala will be a fantastic addition to SG-1. :)

PG15
November 27th, 2005, 05:21 PM
^Indeed.

I can't wait! :)