This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Dominance

We all know from the episode 'Watergate' on that if there are two gates on a planet (or solar system for that matter), and one gate has an original gate system DHD hooked up while the other does not, then the gate with the DHD becomes the dominate one. (I am not sure what happens where there are multiple gates and DHDs in the same location, I don't think we have come across that scenario.)

Anyway, the Russians knew they could use their DHD as a way to make their gate dominate over ours. Okay, what about in the first season prior to 'Solitudes' when the Antarctic Stargate and DHD were still connected? Because of that connection, wouldn't the Antarctic gate recieved all the incoming wormholes to Earth? The DHD still had a little juice in it, even if it was a small amount. It just seems that this contridicts the whole 'Dominate Gate' idea that they came up to make the Russians have something over us.

Did I miss anything in any other episode that might explain why this wasn't the case?

Steve

Actually I just thought of the multi-gate scenario... when Ra was on Earth 10k years ago.... he had the Giza gate with its DHD, and the Antarctic gate with it's DHD. How does the gate system know which one to use then?

Steve

Comment

I think it might be because the Antartic gate was buried. So no matter would have been able to reintegrate anyway and the DHD knew this.

Comment

The Giza gate's DHD has more power, so it was dominant. The DHD in Antarctica was very week, and stopped working altogether shortly after it was recovered by the SGC, IIRC.

And of course the Giza DHD was destroyed, making the Earth DHD-less.

a time to mourn

Comment

Just a hypothesis, but before Solitudes, the Antarctic gate may have been buried in ice. It may only have been exposed due to a glacier shift or something. But it seems like like rather convenient timing.
          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
            Just a hypothesis, but before Solitudes, the Antarctic gate may have been buried in ice. It may only have been exposed due to a glacier shift or something. But it seems like like rather convenient timing.
            But remember, the Antarctic gate was still in a cavern, so it wasn't really exposed. The "splash" likely carved out the cavern, either from when Jack and Sam arrived or more likely earlier when those frozen Jaffa came through. What I think is the bigger question is why was a connection made in the first place? If that was a completely snow and ice filled cavern prior to the splash carving it out, why wasn't the center of the gate filled in as a cover stone would do? That should prevent a connection altogether. Yet a connection was made at some point (when the Jaffa came through) which means the center of the gate wasn't filled in. Perhaps there was an ancient shield over it like the one on the Atlantis gate that had long since failed.

Comment

Some people have said the 'Ra' gate had more power then the 'lantian' gate!

but, as pointed out in similar recenent threads, the 'lantian' gate was in operation at the same time as the 'Ra' gate -> and therefore you cannot presume that the 'lantian' gate was weaker at that point in time - since we believe it to have been used by the ancients! (still to be dis/prooved in another thread)
              It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz!
                Some people have said the 'Ra' gate had more power then the 'lantian' gate!

but, as pointed out in similar recenent threads, the 'lantian' gate was in operation at the same time as the 'Ra' gate -> and therefore you cannot presume that the 'lantian' gate was weaker at that point in time - since we believe it to have been used by the ancients! (still to be dis/prooved in another thread)
                New to the forums here, got a link to those threads? I would be interested in reading over them...

Comment

i think it wasnt the dominant gate because the DHD itself was buried under ice. Remember, Sam and Jack had to dig it up.

Comment

Originally posted by FlesHBoX
                    New to the forums here, got a link to those threads? I
                    would be interested in reading over them...
                    Welcome!

some here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=20394

and some here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=19892

Originally posted by VironX
                    i think it wasnt the dominant gate because the DHD itself was buried under ice. Remember, Sam and Jack had to dig it up.
                    yeh! BUT the ancients seem to have used the gate to come back to earth during Ra's reign so A) it must be in use and B) Antarctica wasn't always in the cold north!
                    It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Thanks a bunch

Comment

B) Antarctica wasn't always in the cold north!
                        please forgive me if im wrong, but isnt anartica at the bottom of the globe?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                          please forgive me if im wrong, but isnt anartica at the bottom of the globe?
                          Yes, it is at the south, not north. Apparently the US maintains McMurdo airforce base there, although I'm not entirely sure why.
                          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

i thought military bases were prohibited

Comment

McMurdo is run by a civilian company, and is a science center and a transportation hub to the other facilities scattered across the continent.

a time to mourn

Comment

Working...
                              X