This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye, Threshold

CBS' broadcast of the Country Music Awards this week was going to bump Close to Home. Next week, ABC's broadcast of the American Music Awards promised more sweeps month special programming. The underperforming Close to Home, which lost much of its lead-in from The Amazing Race, was destined to take a hit both days, as well as facing the heat from Law and Order: SVU. Instead, CBS moved the Bruckheimer production into Threshold's slot on Fridays, where it has indeed improved its numbers. My guess is that a fundamental sentimentality and a softer female lead make Close to Home a better fit with Ghost Whisperer.

Threshold of course has already suffered a hit from its own network by being, not just moved, but preempted. (Being a serialized show means preemptions directly impact viewers's appreciation.) My guess is that this means that Bruckheimer has more clout than Goyer and Heyman and Braga. My guess is that CBS never had much more interest in the show than it did in Numb3rs: Namely, it appears more a way to sign Goyer and Heyman (and pay off Braga, who was already under contract for production duties, if I remember correctly) than a real plan to build a hit series. It was consigned to a weak time slot on a weak viewing night. I don't think they even promoted it very strongly. The result wasn't quite like Numb3rs, which was an unexpected but unarguable "hit." Threshold's ratings, especially in the 18-49 demographic, probably would have been acceptable to Fox or NBC, and likely would have inspired orgasms in UPN, WB or SciFi execs. But Threshold is on CBS, which is racing for Number One. The show did lose a lot of its lead-in. With two soft spots to work on, CBS chose to sacrifice Threshold instead of Close to Home.

Officially, the hope is that the more proportionately male audience of Amazing Race will provide a more compatible lead-in for Threshold. And that "scifi" will be couterprogramming to cops and lawyers. I'm pretty sure CBS execs don't really think that a show with a woman leader, a geek, Data, a Little Person (read "dwarf,") and Charles Dutton as a Black Suit is wholeheartedly aiming at male audience identification. Even worse, Carla Gugino may be many wonderful things, but conventionally feminine she is not. Further, the one regular (i.e. "manly"...and white) male, while personable enough, is mostly in loyal subordinate mode. I'm also pretty sure that while they would be pleased if the show's ratings jumped, they have continued their planning for the next series. As I understand it, no more than eight first run episodes of Threshold were even scheduled to be aired. Perhaps that was some sort of glitch in the announcements but I think they expected an instant flop.

My guess is that Tuesday will be another disappointment: Up against heavy competition Threshold will score just high enough in the key demographic to merit consideration for renewal, but too low to compel it. I suspect that Goyer's leaks about the future plans are not sitting well with the execs. The idea that the good guys might lose is always a doubtful one in the television world. Not gonna happen on Battlestar Galactica, or SG-1, for instance. So, I expect that some exec will do what a man's gotta do, and axe the series anyhow, risking Goyer's displeasure maybe actually mattering some day. The producers probably already expect an unhappy holiday.

In these times, there is something trivial about Us Under Attack from Powerful But Inhuman Enemies. But, despite the unpromising premise, as these things go, Threshold was just better written than the usual. Cavennaugh choosing not to shoot children, and his appeal to the cadets that being a soldier didn't mean giving up your mind and will and responsibility made a topical commentary without shrieking the moral, yet with a definite point of view. The ironic humor of the "genius" psychiatrist pontificating about the causes of belief in aliens was delightful, and insightful. The usually trite theme, the moral failings of the good guys, was deftly treated. The airline pilots lying about drinks was refreshingly mundane. The idiot cop with the deranged scheme to hide the alienated cop killer from Homeland Security was a loose cannon that for once did not shoot the enemy. (That alone made sport with thousands of hours of TV shows. Well, it feels like thousands.) The Senator playing games with the signal in pursuit of personal and military power showed some genuine ambiguity in motive, something rarely seen. There seemed to be some genuine human feeling reflected in all the characters. The nobody father of the military cadet still had feelings for his son. The dj loved her brother. The alienated agriculture student/seaman went home to Mama. The exwife still hates Data. The restaurant owner worries about going broke. The preacher's congregation believes they share his dreams. (That short montage sequence is hilariously more accurate about real religion than all the hours of fake religions in scifi ever! Dune, eat your heart out.) When the show starts with Molly talking about the plan, you could actually believe there was a plan.

What a shame.

pm
    Last edited by plot mechanic; 19 November 2005, 11:35 AM. Reason: ubs code error

awwwwwwwwwww crap I just started to watch this and its cancelled dammit!
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Is this for the US or UK? Or both?

sigpic
      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

As far as I know, Threshold hasn't aired in UK yet, so this is for US.

And, the whole reason for all those paragraphs about TV shows' ratings was to explain why I think the show never had much chance, and is almost certainly doomed. The cancellation is not official. The original post is speculative. Unfortunately I don't think I will have written a post mortem in vain.

pm

Comment

Originally posted by plot mechanic
          CBS' broadcast of the Country Music Awards this week was going to bump Close to Home. Next week, ABC's broadcast of the American Music Awards promised more sweeps month special programming. The underperforming Close to Home, which lost much of its lead-in from The Amazing Race, was destined to take a hit both days, as well as facing the heat from Law and Order: SVU. Instead, CBS moved the Bruckheimer production into Threshold's slot on Fridays, where it has indeed improved its numbers. My guess is that a fundamental sentimentality and a softer female lead make Close to Home a better fit with Ghost Whisperer.

Threshold of course has already suffered a hit from its own network by being, not just moved, but preempted. (Being a serialized show means preemptions directly impact viewers's appreciation.) My guess is that this means that Bruckheimer has more clout than Goyer and Heyman and Braga. My guess is that CBS never had much more interest in the show than it did in Numb3rs: Namely, it appears more a way to sign Goyer and Heyman (and pay off Braga, who was already under contract for production duties, if I remember correctly) than a real plan to build a hit series. It was consigned to a weak time slot on a weak viewing night. I don't think they even promoted it very strongly. The result wasn't quite like Numb3rs, which was an unexpected but unarguable "hit." Threshold's ratings, especially in the 18-49 demographic, probably would have been acceptable to Fox or NBC, and likely would have inspired orgasms in UPN, WB or SciFi execs. But Threshold is on CBS, which is racing for Number One. The show did lose a lot of its lead-in. With two soft spots to work on, CBS chose to sacrifice Threshold instead of Close to Home.

Officially, the hope is that the more proportionately male audience of Amazing Race will provide a more compatible lead-in for Threshold. And that "scifi" will be couterprogramming to cops and lawyers. I'm pretty sure CBS execs don't really think that a show with a woman leader, a geek, Data, a Little Person (read "dwarf,") and Charles Dutton as a Black Suit is wholeheartedly aiming at male audience identification. Even worse, Carla Gugino may be many wonderful things, but conventionally feminine she is not. Further, the one regular (i.e. "manly"...and white) male, while personable enough, is mostly in loyal subordinate mode. I'm also pretty sure that while they would be pleased if the show's ratings jumped, they have continued their planning for the next series. As I understand it, no more than eight first run episodes of Threshold were even scheduled to be aired. Perhaps that was some sort of glitch in the announcements but I think they expected an instant flop.

My guess is that Tuesday will be another disappointment: Up against heavy competition Threshold will score just high enough in the key demographic to merit consideration for renewal, but too low to compel it. I suspect that Goyer's leaks about the future plans are not sitting well with the execs. The idea that the good guys might lose is always a doubtful one in the television world. Not gonna happen on Battlestar Galactica, or SG-1, for instance. So, I expect that some exec will do what a man's gotta do, and axe the series anyhow, risking Goyer's displeasure maybe actually mattering some day. The producers probably already expect an unhappy holiday.

In these times, there is something trivial about Us Under Attack from Powerful But Inhuman Enemies. But, despite the unpromising premise, as these things go, Threshold was just better written than the usual. Cavennaugh choosing not to shoot children, and his appeal to the cadets that being a soldier didn't mean giving up your mind and will and responsibility made a topical commentary without shrieking the moral, yet with a definite point of view. The ironic humor of the "genius" psychiatrist pontificating about the causes of belief in aliens was delightful, and insightful. The usually trite theme, the moral failings of the good guys, was deftly treated. The airline pilots lying about drinks was refreshingly mundane. The idiot cop with the deranged scheme to hide the alienated cop killer from Homeland Security was a loose cannon that for once did not shoot the enemy. (That alone made sport with thousands of hours of TV shows. Well, it feels like thousands.) The Senator playing games with the signal in pursuit of personal and military power showed some genuine ambiguity in motive, something rarely seen. There seemed to be some genuine human feeling reflected in all the characters. The nobody father of the military cadet still had feelings for his son. The dj loved her brother. The alienated agriculture student/seaman went home to Mama. The exwife still hates Data. The restaurant owner worries about going broke. The preacher's congregation believes they share his dreams. (That short montage sequence is hilariously more accurate about real religion than all the hours of fake religions in scifi ever! Dune, eat your heart out.) When the show starts with Molly talking about the plan, you could actually believe there was a plan.

What a shame.

pm

What's with all the bolding?
          It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

I think the bolding is so that people can skip all the long, rambling diatribe and read the bits which are actually relevant. Although I still managed to miss the last line in the second paragraph, which I think is the only place that officially states that the show was cancelled.

Can't say I'm sorry to see it go. I watched the first ep, found it annoyingly cliche and its characters flat and stereotypical, so I never tuned in again.

Interesting that they cancelled it, though, considering all the whoring the network has done to make us believe it's the Best. Damn. Show. EVAR!!! I guess the audience wasn't stupid enough to buy that line. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by plot mechanic
              As far as I know, Threshold hasn't aired in UK yet, so this is for US.
              It has, it started this week
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

... Umm... I heard that it was moving to Tuesday...

I don't watch it, but my parents do. And if it is not cancelled and in fact moved to Tuesday my parents schedule would be competely screwed up... There's way too much on Tuesday nights...

But cancelled? Where did I hear that it was being moved to Tuesday?

Edit: My mom checked the on-screen guide and it says: Tuesday, 9pm.
                Last edited by MartoufMarty; 19 November 2005, 02:48 PM.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

I only watched a few seconds of if (during it's premiere), I was channel surfing during a comerical break (of a new episode of SG-1). It was okay.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                    ... Umm... I heard that it was moving to Tuesday...

I don't watch it, but my parents do. And if it is not cancelled and in fact moved to Tuesday my parents schedule would be competely screwed up... There's way too much on Tuesday nights...

But cancelled? Where did I hear that it was being moved to Tuesday?

Edit: My mom checked the on-screen guide and it says: Tuesday, 9pm.
                    Yah, thats what i thought! Its funny though by the wording of plot mechanic, about choosing to sacrafice Threshold over Close to Home, but i think it was a good move since there aren't many genre's like Threshold at Tuesday in its timeslot and currently Close to Home is doing twice as better now, so im hopeful Threshold will do better.
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I think the move to Tuesday is a death knell, moving a show during it's first season is just rarely, if ever, a good idea. I'd be surprised if the show meets with success in this new timeslot, the one they should have put it in to begin with. I will support it as long as it's on though, but seeing as how things I watch have a way of getting canceled... I don't think I'll be much help.

The real problem is that if it does get canceled I wouldn't be surprised or terribly disappointed because it hasn't grabbed my full attention. I'd mostly be disappointed for the genre.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I really really like Threshold and was finaly happy to have another new show to kep me entertain The team is great and I liked all the characters ...Molly was briliant and so are the others specially Cavennaugh

Why did they have to move it on the first season ??!! They could have done that after the fans get to know the show and the characters a bit more ..big mistake ..Can't they put it back in its origianl timeslot ..or reserve another timeslot for later and start again from scratch with a more adequate channel ..

In the UK .it 's on sky one ..same channel as Stargate sg1 and Stargate Atlantis ..therfore it should be quite popular and the pilot episode was extremely well done and kept me on the edge of my seat

I hope the fans will react to the cancellation and try to do something about it ..A good show should not be wasted

Caty

Comment

The networks and advertisers are really impatient these days. If they don't see numbers they can compare to the best they've got, they just don't think a show is doing well. As much as I blame the show itself for some of its weakness I think the network should get some blame as well.

Friday nights are NOT a good time slot and they show no faith in a new series by introducing on that night. It's like saying 'ehh we don't expect much success so let's go ahead and sabotage it some more'.

The timeslot was the first thing I noticed that was wrong... it was the same one they aired Firefly and John Doe in and look how well that went. It's like they don't want the shows to succceed so they don't bother to promote as well as they should or give them the same chances they give others.

Threshold wasn't great but it had great potential and it sucks for the genre as a whole that this is the end. I'd just finally given an episode my full attention

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Impatience, definitely not a virtue. I can't say that I will miss Threshold, but I will be burdened not to Carla Gugino, for the time being. It was a bit too contrived for my taste, the ultimate plan of the aliens too simplistic, Threshold contengencies very unrealistic, allowing emotion to govern the actions taken to combat the alien threat. What can I say, Carla Gugino, man is she gorgeous, the show itself lacks a certain...believability.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                              The networks and advertisers are really impatient these days. If they don't see numbers they can compare to the best they've got, they just don't think a show is doing well. As much as I blame the show itself for some of its weakness I think the network should get some blame as well.

Friday nights are NOT a good time slot and they show no faith in a new series by introducing on that night. It's like saying 'ehh we don't expect much success so let's go ahead and sabotage it some more'.

The timeslot was the first thing I noticed that was wrong... it was the same one they aired Firefly and John Doe in and look how well that went. It's like they don't want the shows to succceed so they don't bother to promote as well as they should or give them the same chances they give others.

Threshold wasn't great but it had great potential and it sucks for the genre as a whole that this is the end. I'd just finally given an episode my full attention
                              I will support the show here in the UK until it's gone ..It 's a shame considering they wanted to bring catherine Bell in it as a recurrent character and it may have picked up after wards ..Shame that the network put all new shows on a friday night ..How stupid is that ??? One day the old shows will go specially the ones which already are in their season 9 and 10 and so what do we have afterwards ..nothing .."""
                              and I think we need some other shows soon because not only JAG is finished but I reckon that season 10 will be the last for SG1 and I hope so because it's stale big time . What about Law and order ??? Isn't that gonna go soon ?!!!

What about Tru calling which was not renewed either ..What was the problem with that show ?? I thought it was entertaining !!!

You talked about the show Threshold and its' weaknesses ..was it just about believability ??? but I would say that SG1 is a bit weak too right now ..specially EX deux Machina and the ship landing on a buiding and nobody never heard or saw anything and the buiding just being beamed like that without the public to notice it ..Don't tell me that they managed to move all the public away from the area .....and not even one person saw what happened !!!!

Caty

Comment

Working...
                              X