This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Way to Block Incoming Wormholes #Possible Spoilers#

Okay, I was thinking about this the other day after rewatching Prototype. I have always had a minor issue with the Stargate's iris in respect to humanity. What I mean by that is that I feel that is an inhumane way to protect the gate cause if people come through, enemies or not, they instantly die. I know at least they don't suffer and it is instantaneous, but what if it was a mistake and a good guy is killed? It has really erked me.

Now as of Prototype, we get to see a cool little toy that Anubis made for the DHDs that can redirect incoming wormholes to other planets if they don't send in a proper passcode. I was thinking... since Carter was able to reprogram it to either forward everything to Earth or return it to the destination (i think it was the first one, i don't think the gates have caller id, but it would be cool if they did) then she might be able to find a way to adapt that system to Earth's Homemade DHD and use it to either replace the Iris or use it in conjunction with the iris. That way nobody dies, they can just be sent somewhere else.

Now a really cool thing would be if they could get the gate to return the matter to the gate it was sent from. This would be extremely useful if they decided to send a weapon or bomb to Earth, instead the bomb would pop right back out at the enemy that sent it and that would take care of that problem. It would be far more useful and economical than letting the Iris kill a perfectly good weapon that we can just redirect to the enemy.

What does anyone else think?

Steve

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME, but i get the feeling theirs some complicated and confusing explaination
    anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

I had the same thought when watching prototype, essentially is is the better method to use but they can still have the iris as a safety precaution.

Comment

To quote Teal'c, "Indeed."

That DOES seem like a rather nifty idea at that but I'm sure we'll never see it and there's probably some reason or another why it just won't work. Heh, gate caller ID. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the capability isn't there somewhere and they just haven't discovered it yet.

Comment

Yep remember how Anubis sent a nuke in Lost City? Do you really want this nuke to go somewhere else? I'm sure the Ori would try to send something as well.

Comment

In the SGA episode 'Before I Sleep', it is implied that the gates/some gates have caller id, as janus says that the atlantis gate will be blocked to all incoming wormholes other than earth. Might be worth looking into how they did that (if they can, The effect was obviously designed to wear off once the gate recieved the first call from earth, or our ppl wouldn't have been able to return from teyla's planet).
            "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Originally posted by cozzerob
              In the SGA episode 'Before I Sleep', it is implied that the gates/some gates have caller id, as janus says that the atlantis gate will be blocked to all incoming wormholes other than earth. Might be worth looking into how they did that (if they can, The effect was obviously designed to wear off once the gate recieved the first call from earth, or our ppl wouldn't have been able to return from teyla's planet).
              I think he ment that the gate's shield would be risen in the event of any gate other than earth dialing in. And BTW the shield sometimes goes on straight away and sometimes it doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                Yep remember how Anubis sent a nuke in Lost City? Do you really want this nuke to go somewhere else? I'm sure the Ori would try to send something as well.
                Well this is the only case where I could see forwarding to a random gate would be bad. Otherwise if they could implement "Gate CallerID" then the gate could send it right back to the attacker. Essentially they blow themselves up.

Originally posted by cozzerob
                In the SGA episode 'Before I Sleep', it is implied that the gates/some gates have caller id, as janus says that the atlantis gate will be blocked to all incoming wormholes other than earth.
                Maybe the gates in the Pegasus Galaxy have "Gate CallerID" as part of their upgrades. But if that is the case, then how would it know if it Earth or not, since the gate on Earth is the standard garden-variety Milky Way 'rotary' gate. Unless all gates have this function somewhere inside, just that we don't know it yet. (Like Avatar28 commented)

There are two ways it could work in my mind. Either the originating gate calculates its own address and sends it to the destination gate as the wormhole opens, or the destination gate, through some formula of wormhole physics can derive the originating gate on its own. The first idea limits the functionality of the CallerID to the gates that have the protocol for communicating it. The second possibility means that no matter where the wormhole originates, you can always get the address of calling gate.

I am starting to wonder if I should starta "Gate CallerID" thread or just continue on this one with the idea, it is still relevant to the subject.

I think we need to put together an unofficial user's manual for the gate, English edition. If someone is brave enough, they could write the original in Ancient/Alteran.

Steve

Comment

Good idea, but it would eat up a lot of screen time on the show
                  The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                    I think he ment that the gate's shield would be risen in the event of any gate other than earth dialing in. And BTW the shield sometimes goes on straight away and sometimes it doesn't
                    erm - ok, in which case the gate still has to know who's dialling in, therefore, the gates still have caller ID. Oh, and i originally thought, like you, that the gate's shield would activate, but after re-watching the episode, and listening carefully to what Janus said, I became more convinced that the gate would not activate, as opposed to just killing anybody who tried to come through.
                    "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

They need caller ID on the Strargate, that way they can switch it to dial another planet to avoid an incoming wormhole.
                      All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                      Pay it forward

Comment

well the iris may be indisrimanate but the ancient used it so, its all good and it works and quite well and u want to kill ur enermies not send them to another plannet so they can get in there ships and come and kill u. Pluse ur evil vilans will be geting anoyed with the whole the plannet you are dialing is currently univalable press 3 if u would like this gate to continue to amtomatically dial this gate or 4 to leave a message after the beep.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                        O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

That's a good solution, but they could also use the trick seenin 48 hours, and store any incoming object within the gate buffer, and decide if they can let it rematterialize or erase the buffer.

Both aere equally good solutions, and the one presented in the thread opener is even better in fact as there's no real hazard to how you're going to stock people and objects, though both require technological tweaking on devices we do not handle with that much ease.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

they could just have one of those cockroach motels made human size. drop it right in front of the gate, and see which Goa'uld want to adopt them.
                            All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                            Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by KnightCrusader
                              Okay, I was thinking about this the other day after rewatching Prototype. I have always had a minor issue with the Stargate's iris in respect to humanity. What I mean by that is that I feel that is an inhumane way to protect the gate cause if people come through, enemies or not, they instantly die. I know at least they don't suffer and it is instantaneous, but what if it was a mistake and a good guy is killed? It has really erked me.

Now as of Prototype, we get to see a cool little toy that Anubis made for the DHDs that can redirect incoming wormholes to other planets if they don't send in a proper passcode. I was thinking... since Carter was able to reprogram it to either forward everything to Earth or return it to the destination (i think it was the first one, i don't think the gates have caller id, but it would be cool if they did) then she might be able to find a way to adapt that system to Earth's Homemade DHD and use it to either replace the Iris or use it in conjunction with the iris. That way nobody dies, they can just be sent somewhere else.

Now a really cool thing would be if they could get the gate to return the matter to the gate it was sent from. This would be extremely useful if they decided to send a weapon or bomb to Earth, instead the bomb would pop right back out at the enemy that sent it and that would take care of that problem. It would be far more useful and economical than letting the Iris kill a perfectly good weapon that we can just redirect to the enemy.

What does anyone else think?

Steve
                              what if a good guy was fleeing a enemy and he just got thru the gate he thought he had escaped then ended back in his enemys clutches???that wouldnt be too good...
                              tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                              yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                              Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X