This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Potter: Turning to the Dark Side?

I'm not that fond of fantasy generally. So I haven't been following Potter discussions much. Perhaps some help on current thinking amongst fans?

Have people thought that Harry in Half Blood Prince is not really very nice? I don't mean teen ager sulks unpleasant, I mean bad. As in
    Spoiler:
    sneaking out to spy on people, actually trying to kill them and planning to kill people.
    Methinks that this is not so positive a development.

Have people noticed that the big dramatic resolution in the book is
    Spoiler:
    Draco's choice not to kill Dumbledore?

Have people thought that Dumbledore [spoiler[has some plan for rising from the dead, a la the phoenix? The point was pretty clear I think since he was offering it to Draco.[/spoiler]

Have people thought that Dumbledore is right about Snape, since he knows that Snape loved Lily Potter? Meaning that the big choice for Harry is
    Spoiler:
    to forego murdering Snape, like Draco did.

Have people thought that the sorting hat messages presage a need for Harry to reconcile with Draco?

Have people thought that perhaps the scar is a
    Spoiler:
    Horcrux

pm
    Last edited by plot mechanic; 12 November 2005, 01:37 PM.

Harry Potter pissed me off in the last book.

He always pisses me off.

He's acting like a spoiled brat.

"Oh, Snape! I only almost killed Draco, you can't give me detention! I have Quidditch on Saturday!"

There's a little thing in life called consequences, you little brat. Stop complaining! He's probably lucky he didn't get arrested or anything!

They're supposed to be growing up. You'd think that after all that Harry has been through, he would learn that crap.

Just like in the third one when he fell off his broom after getting attacked by Dementors. The first thing he was concerned about was his stupid broom!

What the hell??

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Its Dumbledores prediction confirmed really. He kept him out of the wizarding world because he didnt want the fame to get to him. And it has done after just 6 years. Then again, the fact that everyone who ever cared for him have died, with the exception of Ron and Hermione, cant have helped much. The next book will probably see Harry reaching his darkest point and the climax will be far from the innocent beginings back at Number Four at the begining of The Philosophers Stone
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by plot mechanic
        I'm not that fond of fantasy generally. So I haven't been following Potter discussions much. Perhaps some help on current thinking amongst fans?

Have people thought that Harry in Half Blood Prince is not really very nice? I don't mean teen ager sulks unpleasant, I mean bad. As in sneaking out to spy on people, actually trying to kill them and planning to kill people. Methinks that this is not so positive a development.

Have people noticed that the big dramatic resolution in the book is Draco's choice not to kill Dumbledore?

Have people thought that Dumbledore has some plan for rising from the dead, a la the phoenix? The point was pretty clear I think since he was offering it to Draco.

Have people thought that Dumbledore is right about Snape, since he knows that Snape loved Lily Potter? Meaning that the big choice for Harry is to forego murdering Snape, like Draco did.

Have people thought that the sorting hat messages presage a need for Harry to reconcile with Draco?

pm
        Hey! Go in and edit your stuff...this should be listed a spoiler...not out for everyone to see. If you don't know how to do a spoiler...ask. This thread...well..the opening remarks in general ruin half blood prince for people who've not read it.
        sigpic

Comment

You'd probably go dark too if your life was as screwed up as Harry's is.
          It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Good point there LtColCarter, never really thought it needs a spoiler tag because I have read it, but there are a load of people who havent read it, want to, and may stumble onto this thread, ruining the whole ending.
            Plot machanic spoilers (in case you dont know) are done like this

[ spoiler ] Your message [ /spoiler ] without the spaces
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I can understand why Harry is acting the way he is in HBP. I mean after all...he's lost almost everything...
              sigpic

Comment

Were I harry, I probably woulda memorised the three most terrible curses (or is it forbidden? I also get those mixed up!) and kept my wand at the ready around every corner, for the love of pete, the Dark lord is around again! Whatcha gonna do, expelliamus him again?

Still, I think the good guys need some serious killing curses, or at least the ability to reallyhurt you're enemys, maybe something like an edge.
                Forgive me if any of this has been brought up before...
                also, plot mechanic, that last line of spoilers...Hm...I hadn't thought of that, excellent...

In short, Harrys a complete horse S*** (Sorry, not a big Harry fan, more of a everyone around him fan!)

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

I kind of like the darkness of the stories, it is very fitting because Harry is acting all spoiled and not learning. Harry has learned how to do as little as possible and get the desired result. Cheating his way out of this and that.
                  Spoiler:
                  and the way he blows off Hagrid later in the series is proof that he doesn't respect anyone if they cannot help him in any sense of the word

What makes Harry Potter so big, is that the majority of the fanbase are children and teens. When our future generation makes Harry Potter the end all, be all of everything, and the kind of examples that Harry is setting, action without consequence, and that your friends are always going to bail you out, that you can wave a wand and magically correct your problems, it does not suprise me.
                  Psycho-babbling aside, it is entertaining, and I would not be suprised to learn that Harry Potter (possible
                  Spoiler:
                  is the next Anakin Skywalker
                  All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                  Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Times.2
                    Were I harry, I probably woulda memorised the three most terrible curses (or is it forbidden? I also get those mixed up!) and kept my wand at the ready around every corner, for the love of pete, the Dark lord is around again!
                    They are "The Unforgivable Curses".

Comment

If you haven't figured it out...

Spoiler:
                      Harry Potter will die as he posses one of Valdemore's(sp?) souls.
                      "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Wow, a Harry Potter bashing thread on a Stargate Forum site. I've seen it all now.

In regards to everyone's comments against your Harry, [mod snipped]. Honestly, it's a book, but looking at it from the outside you have to realize that this kid has been abused since day 1. Pardon me if I unleash a series of spoilers for the Harry Potter series but if your hear you at least know whats going on.

1) Harry's parents are dead. He has never grown up with a loving mother and father. His Aunt, Uncle, and *******ly cousin have kept him in a cupboard under the stairs for at least a decade. Sure he has a room now but thats because Dumbledore threatened the Dursley's into giving it to him. With all that being said, throughout the entire series he has shown an incredible capacity to love and care for people.

2) The kid has had no real friends until he met Ron and Hermione on the Hogwarts Express during his first school year at Hogwarts. He has never know companionship and was definetly never shown and trust or respect from said family members (Dursly's). Again, since he has started attending school and Hogwart's he has shown us that he is able to show respect towards others and truly have trust in certain individuals.

3) Dumbledore keeping Harry out of the wizarding world is somewhat of a catch22. Yes Harry has never been exposed to the fame and celebrity status that he would rightfully expect, being the boy who survived and all, but would all of it have turned young Harry into a Draco-like individual. On the other hand, being kept in a god dman cupboard doesn't do him any good either.

4) The moment he starts acting like a normal kid, this big bad-ass evil wizard, Voldemort, and his henchmen start coming out of the wood works with plans to kill him. So now we have a, and I'll use this term loosely, ferral child (look it up if you don't understand it, it's rather intersting ) who has never been loved, nurtured, and whatever else you show towards a child. This child has no friends and no real loving family, but as soon as he meets people who like him, accept him, and take him in, now he has to watch out for a bunch of freaks in black robes chasing him with sticks yelling spells at him. I know I would be pretty F***ed up in the head if I had to deal with that daily.

5) Another point, Harry finds out he still has family, in a sense, with Sirius Black. Harry finally seems to be happy and then what happens... poof, oh look your only family member who you've known for only a year is now dead and gone forever. Go study little Harry and don't focus on it. [mod snipped] Everyone that criticizes this story book boy for getting a little pissy and down right mean for all that crap he has to deal with throughout his life, you are the cruelest people in the world. If this were a real life situation, none of you would feel this way, [mod snipped]

6) The only father figure Harry has ever had dies. Dumbledore, don't call him Gandalf, is probably the coolest fictional person ever. He has all his strengths but his weakness is trust. 6 years Harry has always had Dumbledore at his side, guiding him through his short tours of Hogwarts. Aiding him in in life, love, and friendship. Now we is dead and Harry has revenge on the mind. If someone killed your father would you just stand there and say "Oh, I forgive you!" [mod snipped] Hell no, you would go Rambo on that person's ass.

In closing, Screw Off for getting mad at poor Harry for getting darker and meaner as his years progress. He has been through more (fictional) s**t than any of us can ever imagine (except for JKR, [mod snipped] )

Thank you

My views are alcohol induced and do not refelct the views of Gateworld or any of it's members
                        Last edited by TameFarrar; 09 December 2005, 10:18 AM. Reason: editted for PG content

Comment

Originally posted by chyron
                          Spoiler:
                          Harry Potter will die as he posses one of Valdemore's(sp?) souls.
                          Spoiler:
                          Why would Voldemort want to kill his own Horcrux?

Comment

Originally posted by BigGator5
                            Spoiler:
                            Why would Voldemort want to kill his own Horcrux?
                            That I can't answer other than he doesn't realize that that's the case. Remember the locket or whatever that contained one which was replaced with a fake and the note? I'm willing to be that that's the connection.
                            "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

The theory is still a waste of time.

Spoiler:
                              I mean, who guessed that Snape was the Half-Blood Prince? Also, who saw the death of Dumbledore? Answer to both, no one did. Everyone and their brother had a theory about HBP, and I don't remember anyone of them being Snape/Dumbledore. I thought it would be Hagrid/Neville Longbottom.

There also no reason for Harry to be a Horcrux. What does Harry have to do to stop Voldemort, kill himself? Like we need a teen hero for suicide. I can see it now: "To solve all your problems, kill youself." -Harry Potter

Comment

Working...
                              X