No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks La Croix for posting that. Wow, he's extremely well versed isn't he? And I too find it sad that he's apparently very much aware of what's been said. Poor guy.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
      I believe Cliff Simon said that there was less tension in the air because of the tight schedule of RDA. (I think so it was that).

I had hoped I could find the article/interview easily, but the only Cliff Simon one I came across was back in March and that's not it. As I remember it, he did not identify his comments as being associated with the scheduling problems. I wouldn't have had any problem with his comments if he had merely said that things were less stressed now because the schedule was easier, so I'm pretty sure that his comments were more general, since I remember their ticking me off!

J.
      "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
        Thanks La Croix for posting that. Wow, he's extremely well versed isn't he? And I too find it sad that he's apparently very much aware of what's been said. Poor guy.

Yes that he is. I also remember reading an interview way back when the show started, he and Michael Greenburg were getting used to finding various websites (maybe this one?). It seems that Jonthan Glassner had some bookedmarked and maybe both of them asked questions.

Who knows, maybe he has read whats been going on with the show up until now, maybe not. JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
          I had hoped I could find the article/interview easily, but the only Cliff Simon one I came across was back in March and that's not it. As I remember it, he did not identify his comments as being associated with the scheduling problems. I wouldn't have had any problem with his comments if he had merely said that things were less stressed now because the schedule was easier, so I'm pretty sure that his comments were more general, since I remember their ticking me off!

J.
          It was in a discussion about 9x07 Ex Deus Machina.
          Here is the link:
          http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/0...sexdeusm.shtml

Richard Dean Anderson's departure from the show has set a different stage. Cliff tells us that the tone of the show is slightly different, even from the perspective of a guest star.

"I felt it a little bit," he said. "I'm not obviously there every day like Chris and Michael, so they can definitely see. I found the crew, I think, to be a lot more relaxed, and in general the people on set were a lot more relaxed. Even though the show goes like clockwork, like a well-oiled machine, everyone seemed a little happier for whatever reason. I never really felt that with Richard Dean there that he was very hard on people or strict or that kind of thing as the producer. He can say anything he wants about the show. Now that he's not there, I don't know ... People are a little bit more relaxed and easy-going."
          School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil
            Complaints and misgivings eh? Well Here goes. What happened to all of the true fans of Stargate. Can I expect a "Anti Season whatever thread" if the show continues on for 5 or 10 more years? This is rediculous. Season 9 is by far a great season. Sure it's had it's ups and downs but keep in mind only half the season has passed by and your already complaining about season 10. I realize everyone has there own opinions about whats going to happen and certain things have changed within the show, but if your still watching it you must still like the show. However, if your hate it or loathe it's renewal, I have a simple and constantly given solution. Stop watching Stargate.
            Well then to be fair, if you don't like this thread. Stop posting in it.
            Fair is fair after all.

EDIT: BTW, I am a true Stargate fan. Own every DVD. Convinced many, many people to start watching the show and I do hope with all my heart that the show returns to its roots and actually becomes a great show again. Right now it is just an OK show (IMHO) and spoilers indicate it may take a serious nose dive and become a crpy show (IMHO). I will watch it until it hits that mark. So if anyone, like me, wants to worry and complain about this type of thing and not annoy people in the Pro thread, then I think that everyone should be thrilled there is an anti thread.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              Well then to be fair, if you don't like this thread. Stop posting in it.
              Fair is fair after all.

EDIT: BTW, I am a true Stargate fan. Own every DVD. Convinced many, many people to start watching the show and I do hope with all my heart that the show returns to its roots and actually becomes a great show again. Right now it is just an OK show (IMHO) and spoilers indicate it may take a serious nose dive and become a crpy show (IMHO). I will watch it until it hits that mark. So if anyone, like me, wants to worry and complain about this type of thing and not annoy people in the Pro thread, then I think that everyone should be thrilled there is an anti thread.
              On that note, Thank you AGateFan. What you said is very true. I will not post here again but not because of what you said, but because I have made my point and should not have to visit this thread again. But in all fairness, until the show hits that mark where it is unredeemable we should all back it 100%. Hopefully it never comes to that. I think I speak for every true Staragate fan (much like yourself) I hope that when the show end, TPTB end it with the honor and justice it deserves.

P.S. Green for AGateFan

Comment

hmmm!

Just because it says Anti in title thread doesn't mean we all fully against the show. I can not speak for everybody who posts here (nobody thinks the same about anything), so I speak only for me.
                Just because I post on thread that has "Anti" in front of it doesn't mean I am ANTI. There is no full ANTI or full PRO. There is no WHITE or BLACK only shades of grey. I'm not anti, I only have complaints. Do I feel ridiculous about that? NO. Because it is my oppinion, and it is in everybody's nature to complain. Not for the sake of it but because something would bother us: wether it is a plot hole or a questionable TPTB decision, wether it is a not so good story or some goofs, wether a beloved charecter leaves or a character arrives. I know people that hate Stargate from its beggining. I don't tell them that they act ridiculous. Why? Because in matter of tastes there is no good or bad, no right or wrong, no appropriate or questionable. It is my right to post here (as long as I follow the rules).
                I also post on ather threads such as PRO S10! Does this make me a full PRO? No. Am I not sicere (a hypocrit) because I write on Anti and in the same time on Pro? NO. Because I am not a man who thinks in black and white.
                Will it be an Eleventh Season? I don't know. Would I want an Eleventh Season? Yes. Why? Because I love the show. And then you might ask why do I still post on an Anti thread? because there are things that bother me. In season 9. In season 10 - as rumours.
                And then the question that might come in to your mind would be: Why do you watch Stargate and still post your negative thoughts about it? Why? Because I still have hopes for this show. Hopes from what we all just have seen so far in season 9 will improve in season 10. That when the show will end (hopefully not in season 10) won't be as a mere shadow of what it used to be.

Will there be an 15th season? I hope it will be, and better than season 9. Will there be an Anti Season 15 then? You betcha!!
                Will I post then in it? Maybe, if I will have complaints about it.

And about the ridicuous stuff. Do you think that people that think differently than you are ridiculous? Just because they don't think the way you do? Do you think that democracy is ridiculous?
                Agree to disagree. That is one of this forum's rule. That is a democratic principle!
                Last edited by The Engineer; 16 November 2005, 01:15 AM.
                School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                  Sounds like Morpheus could be an ATLANTIS episode, as Joe pitches/writes for both series.
                  Yes, but in the blog comments Joe mentioned that Morhpeus was a 'Carter episode'. Though that might not mean it's SG1 anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    Yes, but in the blog comments Joe mentioned that Morhpeus was a 'Carter episode'. Though that might not mean it's SG1 anyway...
                    Ok, I've read this "Morpheus" episode title several times now. Is it a new episode? From season 10? or S3 (SGA)?
                    School is overrated.

Comment

Er, how do we determine when the show is beyond redemption? When you say so? When 50% of the fans say so? 75%? 90%? When the ratings plummet? When the storylines are horrid? When characters leave? "Unredeemable" is way too subjective and you simply cannot assume that everyone will feel that way.

Many people DO here think that the show is past redemption. That's why they're posting here. And as The Engineer stated, anti-threads don't have to be against the entire season; many people post here just to vent about a particular episode, character, or whatever but like other aspects of the show.

For the record, I never back things 100%. I like to critically analyze things, pick at things, question decisions. It's my scientific nature. Season nine isn't holding up when I pick at it and I don't see things changing for season ten, hence my tentative anti-s10 status.

And let's not start the "true fan" argument - it's yet another subjective term that only divides the fandom.

Where the hell are my cookies?
                      Last edited by ToasterOnFire; 16 November 2005, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        Sheesh. While I'm not a fan of RCC's at the moment, I think such hostility is a bit... psychotic.

How do we know Brad Wright is coming back to SG-1, though?
                        Psycho Penguins (don't ask ).

Re: Brad Wright.
                        I took it from a couple of things. Firstly the renewal press release worded BW and RCC involvement as "SG-1 co-creator Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper will return as executive producers on both series" rather than the usual method of assigning the shows respectively.
                        But mostly from the fact JM didn't know whether he had any involvement in S10, which is very strange considering a) it was renewed and b) as executive producers, he and Paul showran half of S9 (according to his Ask Joe reply).
                        Along with how JM appears to be pitching ideas to Brad now, rather than having ideas pitched to him.

Of course, maybe RCC is going to run SG1 all on his lonesome...
                        Hmmm, is the correct response to that idea to laugh or cry?

Re: The Stargate family.
                        I'm sure the idea of that originally came about because RDA wanted a fun and relaxed set. So no RDA and the family becomes a bit estranged?
                        Mind, I've always taken the concept with a pinch of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                          Psycho Penguins (don't ask ).

Re: Brad Wright.
                          I took it from a couple of things. Firstly the renewal press release worded BW and RCC involvement as "SG-1 co-creator Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper will return as executive producers on both series" rather than the usual method of assigning the shows respectively.
                          But mostly from the fact JM didn't know whether he had any involvement in S10, which is very strange considering a) it was renewed and b) as executive producers, he and Paul showran half of S9 (according to his Ask Joe reply).
                          Along with how JM appears to be pitching ideas to Brad now, rather than having ideas pitched to him.

Of course, maybe RCC is going to run SG1 all on his lonesome...
                          Hmmm, is the correct response to that idea to laugh or cry?

Re: The Stargate family.
                          I'm sure the idea of that originally came about because RDA wanted a fun and relaxed set. So no RDA and the family becomes a bit estranged?
                          Mind, I've always taken the concept with a pinch of salt.

Cry Smurf. cry.
                          Last edited by LaCroix; 15 November 2005, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
                            Ok, I've read this "Morpheus" episode title several times now. Is it a new episode? From season 10? or S3 (SGA)?
                            tentative episode title for a pitch. So it may not even make the grade for the next seasons, and if it does it may change name.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                              This is what was said by RDA:

Excerpt from Stargate SG-1 The Illustrated Companion Seasons 7 and 8
                              By Thomasina Gibson

Dear T

These are stream of conscious missives, begun on impulse and ending
                              when I lose interest in hearing my own voice in my head or when I
                              get hungry. Do with them what you will….

On a day in a western state of the Untied States, inordinately cold
                              and rainy, I would set out to infuse the Internet waves with some
                              sensible sentiments about the past eight years of my life. Failure
                              to do so would be failing the request of someone who has grown to
                              become a dear friend and confidante. Thomasina Gibson has asked me
                              to contribute to her book in anyway I could. (Synonyms for ask:
                              plead, beg, threaten, harass, bargain, beat). When not working I
                              have a hard time getting out from under my rock, so I feel it is
                              terribly unfair of her to be so damned polite when actually making
                              her request. The girl is plagued with what I perceive to be
                              terminal politeness, and it is downright disarming when she arrives
                              in Vancouver , bats her sleep deprived, puppy dog eyes at me and
                              broguishly utters, ` Richard, wood yew doo thas far may, plas?' The
                              woman is ruthless. But a promise is a sign that I'll give it a
                              shot…..

`Anything' she said…..

What I really want the universe to know about the experience of
                              Stargate, from my perspective is that I never had the slightest idea
                              of what was happening. In oh, so many ways, this was a good thing.
                              Giving me too much information about anything is asking for trouble.
                              I think the writers early on sensed that things were cluttered
                              enough in my head, and took pity, sending Amanda and Shanks on those
                              technology-addled journeys of verbose which both of them handle with
                              astounding panache and creditability. If I could stay with either
                              of them to their conclusion, I would generally be so exhausted that
                              the famed `What' or `excuse me' or `Huh?' would be genuine. Bless
                              the people who can talk.

Thus O'Neill, the Dense.

One nondescript day in the southern part of California, I was
                              attacked by a debilitating need to jot some notes down, more or less
                              serving as an attempt to reflect. I had come to this moment in time
                              when all things, lofty and base, seemed even and fairly neutral.
                              Such insignificant matters as, oh say, what to do with the rest of
                              my life, suddenly loomed as fairly unimportant given that I had come
                              to some sort of agreement with my soul that whatever manifest
                              destiny, whatever the ultimate course of action and subsequent
                              result, would in fact, please me. Throwing proverbial caution to
                              the wind had historically been a credo held firm and true. Mine has
                              been a life of selfish preservation, clamouring about the globe
                              indulgently seeking no more or less than the adventure curiosity
                              affords. To be from Minnesota is to be prepared to engage people
                              with kind intentions, honest reflections, and willingness to assist
                              others in need of assistance. We are also prepared for cold
                              weather. It was twenty nine degrees below zero the day I was born;
                              my mother said, `That was just typical'.

So after eight year of regularly anticipating a re-entry into the
                              workforce after February of any given season, I sit here now
                              seriously contemplating life without Stargate. Gone is the social
                              and creative environment that has always been a cherished part of
                              any job I have held. I have relied upon `the set' to afford me the
                              comfort zone, the protected community in which I could romp and
                              play, create and collaborate, sass and support, hide and confide,
                              and indulge in the most cherished commodity of all: laughter.

Without meaning to cast a pall on the festivities, I will say that
                              time and distance tends to whittle away at relationships, and the
                              intensity of the wonderful evolution of potential seems to naturally
                              diffuse. What I sense by the nature of the friendships sown and
                              nurtured on planet Stargate is that I am understood and that which
                              has been established will endure, even with time and at a distance.

And, from what I understand, it is easier to get work done when I'm
                              not around.

And yes it's sad. Because for all that he did for people he didn't know at the beginning, to become friends and family with, it's like the estranged father/brother/uncle that you don't talk about. ETA: Anymore.
                              This is the second time I've read this, and I just have to say that he's a dang good writer! The man should start his memoirs soon. He's great.

And yes, it's sad that the folks at Bridge might have been asked (read: ordered) to not speak of that MacGyver fellow ever again. 'Tis a shame. And incredibly insensitively and unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                tentative episode title for a pitch. So it may not even make the grade for the next seasons, and if it does it may change name.
                                I found the JM's blog. But he doesn't give any details about the episode. I can only assume that is something about sleep, dreams or something like that.
                                School is overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X