S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Not for me. I missed Collateral Damage when it showed during the regular season and watched it for the first time Wednesday night. That was the final nail in the coffin. I grind my teeth whenever he's on screen.

Vala, I think, could grow on me with good writing (which I'm no longer sure they are capable of), but I don't think they can turn my opinion around on Mitchell. Ben sounds like a great guy, but his character... ugh... the word "loathing" comes to mind.

Given the supersprog story and the renewal of the Vala/Daniel show that will start off season 10, I really don't anticipate making it through to the end of the season. I think the divorce will be just a matter of paperwork by episode 4, if things go as I anticipate. I might tune in if it looks like there will be a Sam-centric ep later on, but SG-1 ended after season 8, and the drivel they replaced it with isn't worthy of my loyalty.
    gawd, strix, i feel so much the same way.

my only desires for s10 are sam getting attention and *respect* and s/j ship going forward after what happened in 'threads'. what i dread... the list is just too long to even go into anymore.

the 200th ep is all i'm looking forward to, and if they screw that up (with maybe rda coming back)...

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
      Just wanted to correct the fallacy that season 6 did badly - points to S7, S8, S9 & S10 as proof, and considering they didn't intend to continue after S6.

Agree with the rest.
      i *loved* season 6! i felt it was the last great *season* of the show (even with ms being gone). it was the last one, at least, that cared about the finished product.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
        The best indicator of whether longtime fans have been lost due to the changes is going to be the ratings next year (ignoring the statistical blip that the 200th episode will be).
        From this long time fan's point of view, my lack of interest in season 9 & 10 is mostly due to the disallusionment from season 8. Once I saw that season 9 wasn't going to pick up in quality there didn't seem much point in spending chunks of my time watching it.
        If S10 doesn't find it's feet immediately there will be many who just think it's more of the same of what they didn't like in S9 and, like me, stop watching.

For long time fans it's a delayed reaction, because they stick with it for longer than they should do.
        Dead on.

I give S10 3 eps to get its feet. And it gets 3 eps only if I can make it through the opening credits. If Amanda gets bumped from second billing the TV will be off before the opening sequence ends.

Ain't it telling that I have yet to watch the last 3 eps of S9? Never woulda happened before S9.
        Last edited by suse; 24 March 2006, 11:15 PM.
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          <snip>
          Vala and Daniel are the magic couple, and TPTB are going to keep them together as much as possible. PU was such a popular ep that they will do everything they can to keep that chemistry up and play on it. Vala's Ori husband will either play the foil, die quickly, or just disappear from the story entirely (which seems rather probable giving the writing of this season... after all, who cares about continuity?). His love for Vala may redeem HIM, but it won't play much of a factor in Vala's redemption, I think. That will have to come from Daniel.

I've spent the past several days trying to remember what ep PU is. Oh, That one. Prometheus Unbound. I remember watching that ep. I kinda cocked my head and said, "Well, I can see that was supposed to be funny...(The sexual humor). Oddly enough, I wasn't laughing. I assumed PU was supposed to be The Humor Episode For The Season. As it went off my only thought was, "Well, that's one ep I don't bother rewatching, even with the commentary.

Imagine my dismay S9. Though you don't have to or you wouldn't be on this thread.

I don't even want to bother giving Vala a chance. But I will try. For a shortshort while. If only because I want to like the show. I don't think she can overcome my reservations though.

Mitchell I still have hope for. Not much. He's been bullocksed pretty badly, but I agree with Skydiver. He's a maybe.

Suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            i *loved* season 6! i felt it was the last great *season* of the show (even with ms being gone). it was the last one, at least, that cared about the finished product.

sally
            same here. To me, season six was the last great season. It only had a couple of what i'd term stinkers, the rest were enjoyable. I also like it because my muse did and i wrote more fic in that one year than i have in the three since.

IMHO, they had the magic in s6....and it's magic that has been steadily leaking away ever since
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse
              If Amanda gets bumped from second billing the TV will be off before the opening sequence ends.
              Guh. I hadn't even considered that possibility. @$*&#!

Comment

I give S10 3 eps to get its feet. And it gets 3 eps only if I can make it through the opening credits. If Amanda gets bumped from second billing the TV will be off before the opening sequence ends.
                Yeesh, I forgot about that. I remember all the controversy when BB came and where he would go in the credits, so what's going to happen with CB? It's safe to assume that BB will remain first and MS will remain last - the middle is anyone's guess. If CB gets placed above AT or CJ I'll be most disappointed, but unfortunately not surprised given TPTB's enthusiams toward the newbies and lukewarm attitude toward the older cast members.

If the opening was chock full of Mitch scenes, where are they going to stick all those Vala scenes? I have a bad feeling about this...

Comment

IMHO, get ready for a flood of promotion along the theme of 'reunited at last, two of Farscape's best stars' 'stargate sg-1, starring ben browder and claudia black' 'vala makes her triumphant return to sgargate sg-1' 'the return of a fan favorite, clauda black returns to stargate sg-1'

etc, etc, etc.

That's just the way it is, out with the old, in with the new

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                    Ummmm... I didn't catch the season-ender for BSG, but heard many a person gripe about it and methinks it might have already reached the point of recylcing its own stories....

I'm glad SG isn't BSG. What I have watched of BSG is that there's a lot of shock value and whatever way they can twist an arc in a 180 degree turn to throw you off they do. And how long can a viewer keep an emotional connection to a show when you know there's probably 5 or 6 Cylon-clones of a character out there? You start to get pissed for being jerked around and lose track of the which non-human you're supposed to be rooting for....

As far as SG - it's been enough to have S8 of SG end with the killing of the original timeline SG1 team and have us following the "close enough" team in S9. (But that's how I explain away S9 & S10..... close enough was far enough out to explain some stories that are beginning to push the show more into fantasy scifi than a reality-based scifi)

Oh well.
                    That's probably the crux of it - 'close enough' - not close enough for me
                    sigpic
                    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

I've spent the past several days trying to remember what ep PU is. Oh, That one. Prometheus Unbound. I remember watching that ep. I kinda cocked my head and said, "Well, I can see that was supposed to be funny...(The sexual humor). Oddly enough, I wasn't laughing. I assumed PU was supposed to be The Humor Episode For The Season. As it went off my only thought was, "Well, that's one ep I don't bother rewatching, even with the commentary.

Imagine my dismay S9. Though you don't have to or you wouldn't be on this thread.

I don't even want to bother giving Vala a chance. But I will try. For a shortshort while. If only because I want to like the show. I don't think she can overcome my reservations though.

Mitchell I still have hope for. Not much. He's been bullocksed pretty badly, but I agree with Skydiver. He's a maybe.

Suse
                      I love the initials for that episode 'PU' so utterly descriptive.
                      sigpic
                      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                        Yeesh, I forgot about that. I remember all the controversy when BB came and where he would go in the credits, so what's going to happen with CB? It's safe to assume that BB will remain first and MS will remain last - the middle is anyone's guess. If CB gets placed above AT or CJ I'll be most disappointed, but unfortunately not surprised given TPTB's enthusiams toward the newbies and lukewarm attitude toward the older cast members.

If the opening was chock full of Mitch scenes, where are they going to stick all those Vala scenes? I have a bad feeling about this...
                        Why do you think MS will remain last in the credits? And how did they decide to put him in last place, since at first he was second? Is it because he was gone in Season 6, so they put him last? Just curious.
                        Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

Originally posted by atlantisrocks
                          Why do you think MS will remain last in the credits? And how did they decide to put him in last place, since at first he was second? Is it because he was gone in Season 6, so they put him last? Just curious.
                          The "and" (anchor) spot is prestigious, and that placement allowed AT to stay in the 2nd place. I'd imagine it was a result of both AT's and MS's contract negotiations.

Comment

i BELIVE that he got it as a 'gimme' for returning to the show. by that i mean, prior to his leaving, he was second. then he left and AT moved up to second. Well, it woulda been kinda mean to bump her back down now that the 'prodigal son' returned, so he got the 'and' to make up for that

sigpic

Comment

my expectations for the credits are
                              bb
                              cb
                              at
                              cj
                              beau
                              & ms

or bb
                              at
                              cj
                              beau
                              &ms
                              With CB

i sincerely doubt she'll be put in there behind chris. I think scifi's focus on the character is too great for her to be not in the front in some way

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by atlantisrocks
                                Last in the credits is in many ways second, if you get a 'and with...as...'.
                                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                                X